Is there a trick to doin good vocal compression with poor acoustics?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Is there a trick to doin good vocal compression with poor acoustics? 2011/07/16 19:28:22 (permalink)
Yep, I built my own reflexion filter using a couple pieces of 4 inch thick Auralex and some sheet metal ventilation screen that I picked up at Lowes.  It works wonders in my semi-treated room.

Side Note:  Two days ago, I received all my final materials for the third and final stage of my room acoustical treatment, so I'm hoping to get it installed sometime next week.  It's truly amazing what a difference a little room treatment makes when recording and mixing.

Have a good one!
Bob
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Is there a trick to doin good vocal compression with poor acoustics? 2011/07/16 22:37:43 (permalink)
Wonderful thread ... +1 all.

I knew my small room was good for something.

I used Ethan Winer's vocal recording booth but ditched it due to its bulky clumsiness.

But if I had 10-12 foot ceilings I'd probably do the filter gizmos.  But, don't forget to avoid early reflections (tables, MIDIs, computer desks, etc.); these must be covered with a cloth or phasiness will ruin my recordings (vox or anything)

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:Is there a trick to doin good vocal compression with poor acoustics? 2011/07/16 23:30:13 (permalink)
I've also got an SE Electronics Reflection Filter.  It works really great.  It's in my basement, where my unfinished walls and ceiling all have insulation stuffed in so that the basement itself is pretty "dead". 

I bought a heavy duty boom stand - a regular mic stand is too wimpy.  Although I didn't know about the alternate mounting method.
Music Miscreant
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:Is there a trick to doin good vocal compression with poor acoustics? 2011/07/17 14:18:23 (permalink)
John T

Ah yeah, that's another point, though the problem is not "cheap Chinese metal" (?). The mounting design for it is a bit... eccentric. So you can have problems with some mic stands.

The Sound On Sound guys came up with an alternative mounting approach, which is described here: http://www.soundonsound.c.../articles/qa0509_2.htm

It's made in China, the threads wear easily if used too often - as indeed they already have at my friends studio - & it's impractically heavy for some mic stands. Thus my conclusion... cheap Chinese metal. 

I must confess 'eccentric' is the perfect way to describe it's design.

Thanks also for the alternative mounting idea. I'll have to start un-welding!  

jamescollins
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
Re:Is there a trick to doin good vocal compression with poor acoustics? 2011/07/18 08:25:10 (permalink)
Just to balance it out - I bought an SE Reflexion Filter and hated it. I was hearing some comb filtering and it just sounded horrible to me. And yes, I did have the mic in the recommended position, as well as trying out lots of different positions. Far better to hang up some blankets if you're on a budget I think...

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
jamescollinsmusic.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1