Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3?

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2015/01/13 12:15:59 (permalink)

Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3?

Just looking for something similar to the Glue function for MIDI notes except for audio clips... particularly while Comping.

For example if I split up my song into sections for quick comping but one take has a useable section that covers multiple splits I would like to be able to simply remove the unecessary splits.

I know it doesn't matter much because the splits won't hurt anything and there are ways around this (like reswiping over the area) but for the sake of visually having one solid clip (which is less confusing if you walk away from a project for a while) and/or not having to readjust the start/end splits of the clips to where they were before reswiping this would be helpful. I checked the documentation breifly but all I'm getting are hits on the MIDI note glue function.

Before it's mentioned bouncing is not a desirable workaround. If this function does not exist that's okay but I just wanted to confirm one way or the other before giving up.

Thanks, guys.

Cheers.

10 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3? 2015/01/13 12:19:00 (permalink)
    Just curious...why is removing the unwanted splits and bouncing to a single clip not acceptable? It's what I do...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3? 2015/01/13 12:37:19 (permalink)
    What is the difference between "Bounce to clips" and that desired "Glue/combine/heal" (It was called "combine clips" in earlier SONARs).
    I'm not sure I can see any...

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Beepster
    Re: Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3? 2015/01/13 12:37:33 (permalink)
    Hi Craig. I do use the Flatten option once I am done with the comp but this is for the interim while I'm still comping. Doing a bounce of two clips is a little excessive when all I want is to remove the split and I'm not quite sure how that would behave within the Take Lanes/Comping scheme of things. Basically I'd just want the split to go away across all the takes if I find a good section that way I'm still following the standard comping procedure. The simplest way to do it without such a feature is just to do a reswiping but as I said that's a little finicky and would require reworking the start/end point AND depending on the situation may result in little sliver clips (which is another reason this would be nice to have... the little slivers, although avoidable if one is paying attention, could be easily removed with a simple Heal/Remove split).

The other thing is I'm really getting into creating multiple Flattened comps so being able to completely or partially clear out the splits would be cool when I want to move on to the next comp.

Anyway, I've already found workarounds from when I first started playing with comping last year but now that I'm doing some heavy editing again it just seemed like something useful that I thought we could already do (but obviously I was thinking of the MIDI Glue thing). After some googling I see that another user has posted a thread about this in the FR section (brconflict) but he didn't get any replies so I wasn't sure if maybe this did exist but nobody saw his post. No bigs... I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. Just thought maybe I was having a n00b moment.

Cheers.
    Beepster
    Re: Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3? 2015/01/13 12:41:14 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    What is the difference between "Bounce to clips" and that desired "Glue/combine/heal" (It was called "combine clips" in earlier SONARs).
    I'm not sure I can see any...

I'll try a test on this but this is for comping. I have a feeling it will not work the way I am looking for. As far as I know using Bounce To Clips is a mini render. I don't want to be rendering anything. I just want the split to go away. It is all coming from the same audio file. No need to create a new one. The reswiping method acheives the action I want... I just have to redo start/end times of the split.

Cheers.
    Beepster
    Re: Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3? 2015/01/13 12:45:47 (permalink)
    Yup... just tried the Bounce method and as I thought it only affected that take, took extra time to do the render and did something weird where it for some reason attached itself to the previous clip in the lane that wasn't even selected.

Seriously though... not a big deal, guys. I just wanted to know whether this option existed. I'll just keep doing things as I have been and I'll upvote the FR thread about this.

Thanks.

musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re: Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3? 2015/01/13 13:17:28 (permalink)
    Hey Beepster - Here's where I see the difference... and if I'm "guessing" correctly - I want to glue / un-split clips as well.

I envision "gluing" as a sophisticated "undo" for a removing a "split state" from a clip that I no longer want split. While I see "bounce" to clips as clip re-processing. 

post edited by musicroom - 2015/01/13 15:40:02

Dave
    Songs

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3? 2015/01/13 13:18:59 (permalink)
    I guess the ideal way this would work for you is if you could position the now time at the split (e.g., the Shift+G command) and then invoke a shortcut for "remove split."

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    orangesporanges
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 342
    Re: Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3? 2015/01/13 13:40:05 (permalink)
    I have the Groove 3  videos that talk about this feature. I am not at home right now, but when I get home , I'll look it up and advise. This is perfect for my "tutorial a day" resolution to master Sonar X3. I'll check back and post if you don't have a solution by then.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64bit, 3.4ghz i7CPU,  16gigs RAM, 1x 1TB SSD system drive 1 x 1TB HDD ( audio only)
    Beepster
    Re: Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3? 2015/01/13 13:41:27 (permalink)
    Yup... you guys see exactly what I'm talking about. Just yanking out that split which really only exists in Sonar's mind (because of the non-destructive editing it's all working from the same raw file AFAIK). So a shortcut would be good or perhaps an alternate option underneath the Erase Tool so you can just click on the split and/or both or a combination of both (like selecting the Erase tool, hitting a modifier then clicking the split to remove it).

Anyway... thanks for confirming this for me guys. Now I'm onto more annoying issues... namely unwanted Selection Groups. I recorded a bunch of new takes into a set of two tracks (double input of the same source... basically a multi mic set up without the mics) but had them in a folder and the Record settings set to group tracks in folders. Now I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to remove them and regroup them with their proper corresponding takes.

Whoops. I think I've got it though. This is what I get for staying away from the DAW for too long.

Cheers.
    Beepster
    Re: Is there a way to Heal/Glue split audio clips in X3? 2015/01/13 13:47:13 (permalink)
    orangesporanges
    I have the Groove 3  videos that talk about this feature. I am not at home right now, but when I get home , I'll look it up and advise. This is perfect for my "tutorial a day" resolution to master Sonar X3. I'll check back and post if you don't have a solution by then.

For audio clips? If there is a secret way that'd be cool but I'm guessing if Craig doesn't know it probably doesn't exist. If you are referring to one of the Eli Kransberg vids I think he was talking about the MIDI Heal between notes and/or the Bounce to Clips feature. When I was looking for this feature I was going through all the Tools to find the Glue bottle thingie but realized that only exists in the PRV.

If you do dig something up though I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1