Helpful ReplyIs there a way to mute all the Sustain (Controller 64) info all at once, and then return?

Author
Toddskins
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
2018/04/12 06:29:09 (permalink)

Is there a way to mute all the Sustain (Controller 64) info all at once, and then return?

Looking in the Piano Roll View did not seem to offer a solution.

I imported a MIDI piano song from my Kurzweil and am now experimenting with various Piano VSTs, but I want to mute all the sustain pedals while doing this, to hear it differently.  But I don't want to eliminate them. 

Anybody know how to achieve this?  

Sonar X3 Producer.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Is there a way to mute all the Sustain (Controller 64) info all at once, and then retu 2018/04/12 08:00:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Euthymia 2018/04/12 10:13:59
In Midi FX there is an events filter, add this to the fx bin for the midi track (see the Track Inspector if using Simple Instrument tracks, check the MIDI option at the bottom). You can then filter the evens in and out.

Toddskins
Re: Is there a way to mute all the Sustain (Controller 64) info all at once, and then retu 2018/04/12 09:50:10 (permalink)
Kamikaze
In Midi FX there is an events filter, add this to the fx bin for the midi track (see the Track Inspector if using Simple Instrument tracks, check the MIDI option at the bottom). You can then filter the evens in and out.

Wow.  Thank you for that most lucid, knowledgeable answer!  I would never have figured it out without your clear explanation.  Right down to where to look for things if they are not already being shown.

Thanks! 
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: Is there a way to mute all the Sustain (Controller 64) info all at once, and then retu 2018/04/12 10:08:27 (permalink)
Yeah, this is hip. I didn't know that CbB came with a MIDI events filter.

I have an old Kawai K1 synth that I use as my main controller because I love the action on it, but it has this annoying quirk of tossing out an "all notes off" when the last key of a chord is lifted.

Might not seem like that big of a deal, but I like to do the occasional ambient piece with loooooonnnnnng decay synth envelopes, and it's a real chill-kill to have my overlapping consonant chords cutting off all the time.

My guess is that back in the '80's stuck notes were something to be concerned about and some clever fool thought they were doing everybody a favor by throwing in an "all notes off" as a security measure.
Toddskins
Re: Is there a way to mute all the Sustain (Controller 64) info all at once, and then retu 2018/04/12 11:20:06 (permalink)
Euthymia
My guess is that back in the '80's stuck notes were something to be concerned about and some clever fool thought they were doing everybody a favor by throwing in an "all notes off" as a security measure.

Funny.  :P
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Is there a way to mute all the Sustain (Controller 64) info all at once, and then retu 2018/04/12 11:40:38 (permalink)
I use a wind controller, pitch bend is constantly sent. I use the filter to remove for keyboard type sounds. Sme synths you can set as a global settings, but some I use for both keyboard and non keyboard sounds.

The other Midi FX are worth checking out, and they can be chained.

I used to create delay lines with the Midi Echo, but with the delays happening in intervals and swung. The use the transpose tool to fix the intervals diatonically in key. 

The transpose tool is very cool one to be familiar with. It's provides useful solutions and can be muscially creative.
Chord analyzer is good for both checking chords and the results of midi changes.
I've used the quanitize tool in the step sequencer for good effect.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1