Is there an global ALL MIDI Notes Off command?

Author
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
2005/10/15 03:07:15 (permalink)

Is there an global ALL MIDI Notes Off command?

After much frustration, trial & error and forum searching I finally tried looking in the P5 Wiki (great resource!) and confirmed that P5 does not have built in support for transmitting MIDI data out through a MIDI port.

I downloaded the MIDIOut DXi plugin as suggested by the P5 Wiki (did I mention what a great resource this is..) and it does indeed allow me to hook up my trusty old DX7II to P5 and use it as a sound module. The problem is that when I manually stop the stop, for example by hitting the spacebar, I endup with endless hanging notes.
The only way to stop the notes is to turn off the MIDI port in the MIDIOut DXi plugin or turn off the Synth.

I would write this off as a problem with the MIDIOut DXi plugin, but my Cameleon5000 has similar behaviour. (if it doesn't receive a MIDI note off the synth keeps playing the notes to the end of their envelope, as if your hands froze on the keys).

Is there a way, as I believe there is in Sonar, to send a global notes off message?

Thanks
...Steven

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes

4 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Is there an global ALL MIDI Notes Off command? 2005/10/15 03:37:51 (permalink)
    if it doesn't receive a MIDI note off
    The plot thickens. Sorry, Steven: that was an (possibly) unrelated association that I was making. If you would, let me know if you see any stuck [blue-colored] notes in the Editor's preview keyboard display. If so, you can try double-clicking on them individually

To really answer your question: click on the CPU meter (upper-right P5) to reset the audio and MIDI engines. That includes an All Notes Off message [CC# 123]. If that doesn't work for you, please reply back.
    TheSteven
    RE: Is there an global ALL MIDI Notes Off command? 2005/10/15 04:28:44 (permalink)
    Mr. B,

Thanks for the response. I forgot all about 2 timing CPU meter... (sorry its late)

I did some further experimenting and it when I hit the spacebar both instruments are acting like they never receive a Notes Off command, may I inadvertently altered a P5 setting? Non of the other tracks in the tune behave this way.

In regards to your tip...
    I don't see stuck notes, the blue light indicators go out when the track stops. Clicking on the CPU indicator works for Cameleon, it doesn't kill it instantly, the effects trail off... but thats OK.

It has no effect however on my DX7II connected by the MIDIOut DXi plugin. I'm assuming its the pluggin.
    I don't think that its the DX7II (unless something just went haywire since the last time I pulled it out) because I've never had this problem in Sonar or any of other Sequencers Ive used in the past.

A puzzler.

...Steven

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

My Tunes
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Is there an global ALL MIDI Notes Off command? 2005/10/15 12:20:03 (permalink)
    may I inadvertently altered a P5 setting?
    I don't think so, Steven. The reason that I asked those questions is to help flesh out a theory that I'm working on [lengthy background explanation is here]. And everyone's input really helps to move that along in one direction or another.

I'm trying to remember the MIDI implementation of the DX7 (someone liked mine better than I did). I'm fairly sure that it sent/received true Note Offs. I'm certain that you've done all the usual steps: Local Off, MIDI channels, and the like. But I don't want to come to any half-baked conclusions, so let me set up a test with MIDIOut and some outboards. I've been using LiveSet from Petertools as an alternative.

I get that "trailing off" effect when I reset a track with the Arpeggiator enabled (under certain conditions). More like a quick "mute", followed by a degenerating "echo". One more question: are you using the DX as both controller input and playback module (either at different points in time, or simultaneously)? If not, what other controller do you use for track input?
    TheSteven
    RE: Is there an global ALL MIDI Notes Off command? 2005/10/15 15:54:54 (permalink)
    More like a quick "mute", followed by a degenerating "echo".

That exactly how Cameleon acts...

are you using the DX as both controller input and playback module

It happens either way. Experimentation has revealed (sounds like something from an old si-fi movie doesn't it? 'Experimentation has revealed that the mutation...') that this happens even if the DX is only acting as a sound module (i.e. only the MIDI in cable connected, or local keyboard control turned off, or keyboard MIDI transmit turned off).

This does not happen when P5 is looping only when I stop playback or recording.
    BTW I am using the arrange pane, I haven't checked out if this occurs in the loop editor or groove matrix.

My Tunes
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1