Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet?

Author
SiberianKhatru59
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
2018/09/27 21:42:44 (permalink)

Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet?

I mean, I'm happy with what I have in all truth, but FREE is, well free after all.  Does Bandlab have a road map posted somewhere to see where they are heading, so I can see if it is worth the (potential) hassle to me before I dive in blindly?

Also, will SPLAT and the CbB versions of SONAR run harmoniously on the same machine?  And if so, will the plug-ins I acquired for use in SONAR (TubeTech channel strip, Rematrix Full and TH3 full, primarily) work within the new CbB version?

SONAR Platinum, Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v21 (Ivy Bridge Core i5 3.4Ghz CPU, 12GB DDR3/1600Mhz RAM, 500GB/1TB Seagate Barracuda system/audio drives, SATA 6.0, USB 3.0), M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB, 2x KRK Rokit 5's, Yamaha MO8

25 Replies Related Threads

TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/27 21:51:23 (permalink)
    >Is there any reason to update/migrate
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aFOe_zJrd3x2EnaZ_Jc3iSbZPG2WANiCD4_RP83OjlA/edit

>will SPLAT and the CbB versions of SONAR run harmoniously on the same machine? 
    Yes, many of us have both installed w no issue.  Indeed you need to have both installed if you want CbB to acquire Platinum extras.

>will the plug-ins I acquired for use in SONAR (TubeTech channel strip, Rematrix Full and TH3 full, primarily) work within the new CbB version?
    Yes, but see previous answer.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/27 21:52:03 (permalink)
    In the near term BandLab still has account migration, a new forum and plug-in migration to perform. They have not discussed planned DAW developments in detail. You may review changes made to CbB here.

CbB installs like an upgrade to 64bit Platinum (similar to upgrading from X3 to Platinum not Platinum 2016-10 to Platinum 2018-10). After the upgrade both DAWs will be available. Both may use the same plug-ins. The shared utilities and plug-in are overwritten with the CbB upgrade.
    SiberianKhatru59
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/27 22:07:43 (permalink)
    TheSteven
    >Is there any reason to update/migrate
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aFOe_zJrd3x2EnaZ_Jc3iSbZPG2WANiCD4_RP83OjlA/edit

>will SPLAT and the CbB versions of SONAR run harmoniously on the same machine? 
    Yes, many of us have both installed w no issue.  Indeed you need to have both installed if you want CbB to acquire Platinum extras.

>will the plug-ins I acquired for use in SONAR (TubeTech channel strip, Rematrix Full and TH3 full, primarily) work within the new CbB version?
    Yes, but see previous answer.

scook
    In the near term BandLab still has account migration, a new forum and plug-in migration to perform. They have not discussed planned DAW developments in detail. You may review changes made to CbB here.

CbB installs like an upgrade to 64bit Platinum (similar to upgrading from X3 to Platinum not Platinum 2016-10 to Platinum 2018-10). After the upgrade both DAWs will be available. Both may use the same plug-ins. The shared utilities and plug-in are overwritten with the CbB upgrade.

Thanks for the replies.  So, then I can launch EITHER SPLAT or CbB SONAR independently of one another then?  That's cool then.  I see they added a "Export to Bandlab" option.  I was just checking out the Bandlab online DAW and it looks kinda cool actually, so that's good.  Might be fun 

One last thing; it seems I need to install from something called the "Bandlab Assistant"...is that analogous to the CCC?  Does it also work and play well on everyone's machines?  I just rebuilt my box and it is running sublimely at present, so I've no wish to install any "boat rocker" apps lol

SONAR Platinum, Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v21 (Ivy Bridge Core i5 3.4Ghz CPU, 12GB DDR3/1600Mhz RAM, 500GB/1TB Seagate Barracuda system/audio drives, SATA 6.0, USB 3.0), M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB, 2x KRK Rokit 5's, Yamaha MO8
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/27 22:52:49 (permalink)
    SiberianKhatru59
    So, then I can launch EITHER SPLAT or CbB SONAR independently of one another then?

yes
    SiberianKhatru59
     it seems I need to install from something called the "Bandlab Assistant"...is that analogous to the CCC? 

To the extend that BA is used to download, install, activate and update CbB, yes. Unlike CCC, BA is not optional. In addition to managing CbB, it also has an option to install BandLab, the DAW used with the BanbLab social media site and drag and drop loops from BandLab's website.
    SiberianKhatru59
    Does it also work and play well on everyone's machines?

I have not read any reports of BA interfering with PC operations. While it can run continuously in the background, it has an option to shutdown and may be manually run to download and install update.
    Euthymia
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 00:50:03 (permalink)
    I'm going to do my best to be polite.

This forum has a search function, and this question has been asked and answered just about weekly for the past 5 months. Use it.

And for the past 5 months, the answer has been, and continues to be increasingly so, YES.

The exception is the part where the company reveals explicit details about what new features they are planning to add. They may change their policy on that in the future, but you'll need to set aside whatever entitlement you may feel to know what the corporation's plans are.

That tends to fall by the wayside with freeware due to the lack of need to rope new licensees in with every release cycle. In its place comes freedom to fix the program where it may be broken.

I gladly relinquish the former to gain the latter (along with getting the whole works for free, of course!).

-Erik
    Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 01:46:31 (permalink)
    The search function is a pile of........ no one really uses it!

Google search is often more fruitful

https://www.google.com/se...0.0.0....0.U8AJBJsy_tE

bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 02:37:02 (permalink)
    I have to agree. The search function here is,pretty much useless.

Byron Dickens
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 02:44:20 (permalink)
    I usually rely on Google like the link above. Start the search with
    site:forum.cakewalk.com then add the other search terms

But I did not mind answering the OP. I was going to add something to his other recent thread but it specifically asked about installing Platinum.

Euthymia
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 03:01:47 (permalink)
    I, too use Google when I need to search, I had no idea that the search function was fugued on this forum. That explains a lot. My apologies.

Well, just a bit of scrolling down is all one needs to do to find this topic discussed over and over. Maybe make it a sticky? I think the question has been answered pretty definitively. BandLab isn't "datamining" your AOL address book and the program is more stable than SONAR and has more features.

As far as I can tell, in almost 6 months of its existence nobody has yet found any drawbacks to installing CbB alongside SONAR Platinum (or any other version). From what I read on here it sometimes needs a bit of configuration to find your plug-in directories and configuration files, but while you get that straightened out, it should do nothing to affect your SONAR installation.

I've been kind of stunned to see the "Help!! I installed CbB and all my plug-ins disappeared!!" posts. Configuring a DAW to scan your VST folders is one of the most basic configuration tasks.

-Erik
    Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
    Studioguy1
    • Total Posts : 244
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 03:04:32 (permalink)
    Look, the simple answer here is after you install Cakewalk by BandLab, you can still use your existing Sonar exactly as you have been doing.  Since Cakewalk by BandLab will access your existing setup, as well, you have only to gain by the updates they have been releasing.  The only challenge to you is that you have to download the BandLab Assistant app from their site (free).  From there you will download the files and the installation will be automatic.   It doesn't erase or mess up anything you already have.  It sets itself up as another way to access what you already are doing, but better.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
    Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
    Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
    Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
    HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
    Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
     2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
    - 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
    Blue Clown Records Ltd
    Blue Clown Publishing BMI
    Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
    SiberianKhatru59
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 04:45:03 (permalink)
    Euthymia
    I'm going to do my best to be polite.

This forum has a search function, and this question has been asked and answered just about weekly for the past 5 months. Use it.

And for the past 5 months, the answer has been, and continues to be increasingly so, YES.

The exception is the part where the company reveals explicit details about what new features they are planning to add. They may change their policy on that in the future, but you'll need to set aside whatever entitlement you may feel to know what the corporation's plans are.

That tends to fall by the wayside with freeware due to the lack of need to rope new licensees in with every release cycle. In its place comes freedom to fix the program where it may be broken.

I gladly relinquish the former to gain the latter (along with getting the whole works for free, of course!).

1. First of all, versions change so the answer given months ago may be different today, so I asked.  Also, I haven't BEEN here in many months.
    2. The search function here always has been ****e.
    3. I don't feel any entitlement whatsoever beyond being able to use the software I bought and paid for in good faith, until such time as it no longer works within Windows.
    4.  It's good that Bandlab took over Cakewalk and is even attempting to carry on.  But at the same time I don't need to undertake a massive change to what already works fine to me so again, I ask to get a feel for how people are getting on with this latest version.

So forgive me for interrupting the forum so rudely.

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 04:54:24 (permalink)
    CbB started with the unreleased 2017-11 version of Platinum. Since that time the updates have mostly been bug fixes. This month may be different. They have been working on a new feature. We should know in a couple of days. Upgrading to CbB is a pretty low risk operation. What is the worst that could happen? You might have to delete it and perform a clean reinstall of Platinum. Since you just performed a Platinum install so you know what is involved. The clean up before a fresh install only takes a few minutes.
    SiberianKhatru59
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 13:12:39 (permalink)
    scook
    CbB started with the unreleased 2017-11 version of Platinum. Since that time the updates have mostly been bug fixes. This month may be different. They have been working on a new feature. We should know in a couple of days. Upgrading to CbB is a pretty low risk operation. What is the worst that could happen? You might have to delete it and perform a clean reinstall of Platinum. Since you just performed a Platinum install so you know what is involved. The clean up before a fresh install only takes a few minutes.

You make some good points and they are along my lines of thinking as well. Probably get to that this weekend in fact.

I was mostly responding to the "polite" request to use the search function, and why I chose to ask instead.

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 13:21:14 (permalink)
    sorry if it was already mentioned, but you should be aware that it also installs an "assistant" app

just a sec

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 13:27:32 (permalink)
    I believe this was covered in msgs 4 & 5 above.

The "assistant" is not a secret part of the install unless you are referring to something other than BandLab Assistant. If that is the case, I am not sure what the "assistant" is.

One must create a BandLab account (use existing Cakewalk account email) and install BandLab Assistant in order to install and activate CbB.

IOW, the "it" that installs the "assistant" app is the user.
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 14:22:07 (permalink)
    yes, correct, that's right, you have to install an assistant app before you can install the cbb app

just a sec

Euthymia
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 16:17:52 (permalink)
    SiberianKhatru59
    Probably get to that this weekend in fact.

I was mostly responding to the "polite" request to use the search function, and why I chose to ask instead.

Aw, now I apologized about the search deal before you could even reply, and even followed up with a detailed answer in light of the forum's search being ganked. Install that thing, it's good stuff, and not all just bugfixes, either! It'll make you say Yes!

My own biggest frustration: a great new program to explore, but  the forum is locked, so we're populated with people who have been using the program forever and went through the ups and downs and WTF's with the "30th Anniversary/Death/Rumors of our death are exaggerated" announcements.

The forum apparently has a useless search function, so approximately 20% of the traffic seems to be either wary people wanting to know if installing BandLab's Cakewalk is going mess up their SONAR installation or dazed people wondering why their support emails for Home Studio are going unanswered.

Because everyone who stuck around has been a SONAR user for seemingly decades, the remaining 70% of the traffic is devoted to people trying to straighten out broken configuration issues, with only 10% of the messages posted by people discussing how to use the program, which is inevitably some function I haven't gotten to yet like VocalSync or Drum Replacer.

(These numbers are all my personal estimates and are completely made up and are as bull54i7 as the search function, so please, don't beat me up too bad)

I'd feel like a total doofus asking something like "how do you make the left-hand side of the piano roll into drum names instead of a piano keyboard?" or "what's this Edit Filter thing they're talking about?" (I know the answers to these questions) Because I think I may literally be the only person on here who had never used SONAR when CbB shipped. I have a Cakewalk ID because I got a free copy of CA/2A a couple of years ago. The Lone N00bie.
    post edited by Euthymia - 2018/09/28 17:09:16

-Erik
    a13xhp
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 16:51:06 (permalink)
    SiberianKhatru59
    I mean, I'm happy with what I have in all truth, but FREE is, well free after all.  Does Bandlab have a road map posted somewhere to see where they are heading, so I can see if it is worth the (potential) hassle to me before I dive in blindly?

Also, will SPLAT and the CbB versions of SONAR run harmoniously on the same machine?  And if so, will the plug-ins I acquired for use in SONAR (TubeTech channel strip, Rematrix Full and TH3 full, primarily) work within the new CbB version?

No, there is no roadmap yet but you can wait until the next monthly release. This is the first update in which they will include an important new feature and maybe that one worth the switch.
    Euthymia
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 17:23:56 (permalink)
    What is the potential downside? I get a new version of CbB on my computer every month and it takes about 10 minutes to download and install the thing.

If you do any work in the Piano Roll, there is a Note Duration picker that I would consider handy enough to make it "worth it," even if I didn't consider the increased stability to be enough.

-Erik
    SiberianKhatru59
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/09/28 22:05:40 (permalink)
    Euthymia
    SiberianKhatru59
    Probably get to that this weekend in fact.

Aw, now I apologized about the search deal before you could even reply, and even followed up with a detailed answer in light of the forum's search being ganked. Install that thing, it's good stuff, and not all just bugfixes, either! It'll make you say Yes!

My own biggest frustration: a great new program to explore, but  the forum is locked, so we're populated with people who have been using the program forever and went through the ups and downs and WTF's with the "30th Anniversary/Death/Rumors of our death are exaggerated" announcements.

The forum apparently has a useless search function, so approximately 20% of the traffic seems to be either wary people wanting to know if installing BandLab's Cakewalk is going mess up their SONAR installation or dazed people wondering why their support emails for Home Studio are going unanswered.

Because everyone who stuck around has been a SONAR user for seemingly decades, the remaining 70% of the traffic is devoted to people trying to straighten out broken configuration issues, with only 10% of the messages posted by people discussing how to use the program, which is inevitably some function I haven't gotten to yet like VocalSync or Drum Replacer.

(These numbers are all my personal estimates and are completely made up and are as bull54i7 as the search function, so please, don't beat me up too bad)

I'd feel like a total doofus asking something like "how do you make the left-hand side of the piano roll into drum names instead of a piano keyboard?" or "what's this Edit Filter thing they're talking about?" (I know the answers to these questions) Because I think I may literally be the only person on here who had never used SONAR when CbB shipped. I have a Cakewalk ID because I got a free copy of CA/2A a couple of years ago. The Lone N00bie.

Euthymia
    What is the potential downside? I get a new version of CbB on my computer every month and it takes about 10 minutes to download and install the thing.

If you do any work in the Piano Roll, there is a Note Duration picker that I would consider handy enough to make it "worth it," even if I didn't consider the increased stability to be enough.

It's all good, no worries here.  Thanks for the input :)

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/10/01 16:20:25 (permalink)
    Euthymia
    (These numbers are all my personal estimates and are completely made up)

Cool! I had no idea you were a professional pollster.  

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Phoen1xPJ
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 255
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/10/01 16:36:22 (permalink)
    One downer on every update: if you have a custom start template it will overwrite with generic basic.tpl. Work around: keep a copy of your template to replace it with. 

Yours With a Song,
    Phoen1x

Wayfarer Station Micro Studio including:
    *new* Cakewalk by BandLab
    Intel Core i5 quad core 3.10 GHz
    ASUStek P8B75-M mobo
    32 GB Mushkin Blackline RAM
    NVidia GeForce 210 1 GB vid card
    (2) 1 TB HD & (1) 500 GB HD
    *new* Win 10 Pro 64 bit
    Echo Layla 24 PCI audio interface (faster than USB!)
    Tascam US-224 control surface (with jog/shuttle wheel, impossible to find elsewhere)
    MIDIMan 2X2 MIDI interface
    ...not bleeding edge but vintage rockin' 

http://verticalalignment.rocks/

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/10/01 17:05:55 (permalink)
    Use a custom template path. Updates write to the default path. Been like this for a very long time.
    Or use a different name for your default template. Custom default template name has been around for a few years too.

I use a custom template path.
    tobiaslindahl
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/10/01 17:09:27 (permalink)
    For what its worth I just went over from SPLAT to CbB after holding out since the announcement. So far everything is working great, better even in that it is snappier and it loads faster, both on startup but also the plugins. Only used it for a week or so, but I can do everything I did in SPLAT and it atleast feels more responsive, so I am happy. 

At the first sign of trouble I will of course be in here screaming and yelling about the injustice of it all :)  But for now its all good. 
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Is there any reason to update/migrate SPLAT from Death Star Gibson SONAR to CbB yet? 2018/10/03 04:44:38 (permalink)
    After SONAR laid waste to Gibson (where "millions of [dollars] cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced"), it lumbered on, but was still not fully completed. Rebellious competitors in the form of odd-named squadrons and call signs, e.g., Pro Squadron (Pro T, L Pro, SO Pro), etal., became aware of a weakness to the core [audio] engine and in a daring strike blew SONAR asunder (code was everywhere, but the plan was still safe).

The new Emperor decided to rename SONAR to CbB to build it bigger and better (and got new clothes during his off hours), but no one really caught on to actually finish it so that the core [audio] engine wasn't exposed. Go figure...

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1