Is there something wrong with me?

Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
2009/03/18 18:15:06 (permalink)

Hi, my name is SteveStrummer, I'm 46 years old and I like listening to Green Day .....

And not just to embarrass my kids.

Most of their albums can be found in my record collection.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

29 Replies Related Threads

jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 18:18:25 (permalink)
    Nope. I like green day too! Oh wait, that doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with you. It means there's something wrong with BOTH of us...
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 18:18:28 (permalink)
    yes

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 18:22:22 (permalink)
    Hi Steve. Welcome to the group.

You're over the first hurdle. Admitting it to yourself, and others, is the first step.

Now go and buy a 'Best of Stiff Little Fingers' album and stop being so silly.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 18:37:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Now go and buy a 'Best of Stiff Little Fingers' album and stop being so silly.

He he - great advice mate!

Unfortunately I have most of (especially) their early stuff on LP and (remastered) CD - Inflammable Material would be in my top 20 fave albums of all time and Nobody's Heroes wouldn't be far away either!

You knew that though...

Didn't you!!

D'Oh!!

Hook, line and sinker.

I still like Green Day all the same

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 19:03:34 (permalink)
    Well, I like Madonna, so who am I to judge?

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 19:24:02 (permalink)
    Green day...never heard of them...

But alot of stuff I listen to embarrasses my kids....too bad...

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    alvie
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 20:39:51 (permalink)
    There's nothing wrong to listen good music even if we get older.
    I can tell you because I’m almost 50 and love music that my daughter is listening.

I have listen music from Simple Plan (a Canadian group) and really like them even if I'm more into prog and heavy rock.

Alain
    Sonar X1 Producer Expanded (64 bits) 
    Windows 7 (64 bits) 
    Intel I7 / 8 MB
    UA-4FX, EMU XBoard49, AT-2020 
    http://parseq.alvie.ca/ 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 20:42:41 (permalink)
    My daughters have turned me on to some really good stuff..... I put it on my Ipod....... and I have introduced them to some older stuff that they like too.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 20:58:08 (permalink)
    Steve.. are you American? and / or are you an idiot? you can't listen to them

opps, I just gave one of their song titles away.. hehe

not that I know any of their work really

I listen to a bit of dubstep, not much.. but heck.. I'm 15 years too old to listen to it.. I listen to stuff that pre-dates me as well.. so it's ok Steve..

(I know your testing the water to find out if there are any girls aloud fans in here..*smirk*)

but I bet you still do the "music of today... it's just noise that is.. " hehe
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 21:06:30 (permalink)
    I've got a few years on you, Steve, and I like Green Day too. And POTUSA(at least their first album. Kitty, Little blue dune buggy, hey that's some fun stuff). I even like Filter, and that guy is whacked.
    But I've also spent some delightful evenings treating my daughter to Ambrosia, early Journey, Jan Luc Ponte', Uriah Heep.
    It's all good. I think we are all about a quarter bubble off anyway.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 22:11:40 (permalink)
    American Idiot is a great record in my opinion, and I'm older than you Steve. I like alot of Green Days stuff. I never got to play any of their stuff back in my performing days, but I did play Good Riddance (I hope you had the time of your life) at my Fathers funeral about 5 years ago. My aunt requested the song without knowing the actual title, and she is a saint of a woman, so I played and sang it at his gravesite with just the family around. We had a portrait of Dad sitting on his mothers tombstone, and as I finished the last chord, a breeze came up on what had been a calm day, and blew his portrait on to the ground. Everyone was absolutely frozen in place for about 5 long seconds. I finally looked down at the portrait, and said "I knew I'd get you to a gig eventually". To this day, I get a nice warm feeling whenever I hear that song on the radio.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    KenB123
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1229
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/18 22:34:11 (permalink)
    Green Day is one of the younger bands in recent years that caught my ear the first time I heard them a few years back. They had that 'something special'.

I was watching Chris Isaak's musical interview TV show this past week. He was interviewing Glenn Campbell. Glenn ended the show with a performance of "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" along with Chris' band. A bit of a surprise, and a great song.
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/19 00:03:19 (permalink)
    Hi, my name is SteveStrummer, I'm 46 years old and I like listening to Green Day .....

Steve it all depends in which sense ...................

46 yr old male listening to a wide base of music......... no...............nothing wrong there...........

Listening to Green Day............period.............somethings REALLY wrong there
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/19 05:53:28 (permalink)
    Steve, Listen to what your ears like nohing wrong in that.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/19 08:17:23 (permalink)
    Hey Strummy thats OK, some artists just "click" with you and you have no control over it. I like to think that if it's a young band you like, and you are relatively old to their main fanbase, that the youthful you would have liked them and it just shows your are musically open minded and not growing set in your ways. It works the other way round too, my eldest son came back from 4 years at university last year as a massive fan of The Clash, one of the all time great bands, yet I never pointed him at them, he just heard a piece of music somewhere, did some research, and we now have a mutual interest in all things Clash / Strummer / Jones related.

That reminds me, I must renew my S-Club-7 fanclub membership........

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/19 08:25:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rsp@odyssey.net

American Idiot is a great record in my opinion, and I'm older than you Steve. I like alot of Green Days stuff. I never got to play any of their stuff back in my performing days, but I did play Good Riddance (I hope you had the time of your life) at my Fathers funeral about 5 years ago. My aunt requested the song without knowing the actual title, and she is a saint of a woman, so I played and sang it at his gravesite with just the family around. We had a portrait of Dad sitting on his mothers tombstone, and as I finished the last chord, a breeze came up on what had been a calm day, and blew his portrait on to the ground. Everyone was absolutely frozen in place for about 5 long seconds. I finally looked down at the portrait, and said "I knew I'd get you to a gig eventually". To this day, I get a nice warm feeling whenever I hear that song on the radio.

Randy

Wow Randy thats a great story, made me wish I'd taken a guitar to my folks funeral's. Maybe I'll take it next time I go to visit and clean their headstone. Mum always liked my music, Dad was kind but didn't understand it - Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/19 09:15:54 (permalink)
    I quite like their Bullet In A Bible disc. I had to stop listening to that (and the Pistols) on my way to work, because it made me want to kick the seat ahead of me on the commuter train...

post edited by Slugbaby - 2009/03/19 09:18:31

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/19 11:01:18 (permalink)
    Some of Green Days stuff is good - my kids used to listen to it. However, I do object to them being called a "punk" band. If this is punk, our culture is already down the tubes.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Fog
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/19 11:03:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: The Kiosk Project

reminda me of years ago when I was with a girlfriend, one of their videos was on tv.. and my girlfriend at the time (who turned out to be a mentalist). asked me which one if I had to date one would I go out with..

obviously... most people would say Rachel Stevens

but me.. I chose the other one.. *looks up her name*
    Tina Barrett

you know a band isn't cool if my dad knows who they are... and he knew all the BS manufactored bands in the charts back then. Although he thought Simon Cowell was a music maker and they spend 5 minutes knocking out the tunes.. I kinda explained that wasnt' the case.

post edited by Fog - 2009/03/19 14:15:50
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/19 20:45:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

ORIGINAL: The Kiosk Project

reminda me of years ago when I was with a girlfriend, one of their videos was on tv.. and my girlfriend at the time (who turned out to be a mentalist). asked me which one if I had to date one would I go out with..

obviously... most people would say Rachel Stevens

but me.. I chose the other one.. *looks up her name*
    Tina Barrett

you know a band isn't cool if my dad knows who they are... and he knew all the BS manufactored bands in the charts back then. Although he thought Simon Cowell was a music maker and they spend 5 minutes knocking out the tunes.. I kinda explained that wasnt' the case.

Mentalist huh? That is really cool.
    Could she see the future? Or could she bend things using only her mind?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/20 19:18:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

However, I do object to them being called a "punk" band. If this is punk, our culture is already down the tubes.

I think this is the point AT, you've hit the nail on the head - maybe this is what I'm so 'uneasy' about!

Mind you, I'm reassured that I'm not the only old fart listening to 'young peoples' music

jedipunk
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 277
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/22 02:06:21 (permalink)
    i cant wiat till im 50 years old and listening to green day, Rock on and rock hard
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/22 09:49:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jedipunk

i cant wiat till im 50 years old and listening to green day, Rock on and rock hard

LOL

And me Jason - I admitted to being 46 mate!

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/22 10:13:50 (permalink)
    Well I get a kick from the Blue Man Group.....I really like all colors.
    Fog
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/22 11:10:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy
    Mentalist huh? That is really cool.
    Could she see the future? Or could she bend things using only her mind?

I saw the adverts for that show the other day, it's just come out over here.. errm no.. it was a phrase for someone a bit unhinged alas she hid it well for a while. That side of her came out when we split up.hehe
    AT
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/22 11:44:04 (permalink)
    Fog,

was she blonde? I seemed to date only psycho blondes. I finally got over it by marrying one. ;-) Keeps life interesting.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Fog
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/22 14:07:41 (permalink)
    AT , Nah, she wasn't.. I've only dated one blonde in my life (not a bottle one) . I prefer dark haired women anyway.. Lets just say the issues she had came to light later on after seeing her. I dunno I'm not perfect, far from it.. but she had issues with a fair few things. Someone who knows about such things explained one specific angle "transferral" , thats an interesting topic by itself.. Either the person wants you to hate them, or they are trying to transfer their hate onto you. The best way is to neither pity them or be upset.

She'd have looked VERY odd as blonde anyway.haha..
    AT
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/22 14:59:47 (permalink)
    Fog,

interesting to think how others see you. But the few times I've been privleged to to listen in to a girltalk I was amazed at how gross and sexist it was. As bad as any locker room - and only about as much kidding about the opposite sex. Pretty funny stuff.

As far as dark girls, the last two I dated before marriage were as messed up as any blonde. One, as my (male) roomate observed - "the harder you kick her away the more she comes back." I don't know what she saw in me - I don't even try to pretend I am up to the standards she saw in me. The other - she is a pretty sucessful actress (she makes a living in theater and TV, anyway). Smart as a whip but spacey as all hell. Her ability at cognitive dissonance was amazing. She kept sending me stuff about Afghan women suffering under the Taliban, then after the US went in just as quickly switched to the No War mass e-mailings. I don't really know (and suppose she didn't, either, for that matter) how one is supposed to get a medievel theocracy to change their treatment of women other than getting rid of them, but such a condrum didn't seem to bother her at all. And it didnt' do any good to point such out. I suppose I'm not one to talk and am as freakish in aspects to others, but we managed to stay friends (though I have to pay a wifegeld for it).

@

i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: Is there something wrong with me? 2009/03/22 18:53:27 (permalink)
    Welllllllll...if David Letterman claims his fav band is The Foo Fighters I think your sound.

Still raining...still dreaming!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1