Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it?

Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2017/12/03 01:07:07 (permalink)

Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it?

I hope someone from Cakewalk has all the Cakewalk forums backed, just in case Gibson decides not to pay the website hosting fee or the domain name renewal. These forums have been for most of us better than tech support. I'd say 99% of the problems I've had were solved by the dedicated users here and being able to search the forum database is a great way of getting an answer to a problem quickly

I know there are already a few alternate independent forum websites, but I'm thinking about the archives. Of course I hope the whole Cakewalk.com website is backed up including all the files. I went to my Cakewalk account and downloaded more files that I hadn't already downloaded just to be safe. Knowing the dedication of the Cakewalk staff I'd bet someone has done this, but I think all of us would like to know.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T

22 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/03 15:48:32 (permalink)
    The database is independent of the server providing access to it. So unless it's being maintained by Georgia state voting officials, it's backed up somewhere.

The bad news is that all content within it is the property of Gibson. If they perceive it to have any monetary value at all, they will be reluctant to turn it over to someone so that it can be hosted it elsewhere.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/03 15:50:10 (permalink)

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    hockeyjx
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/03 16:12:18 (permalink)
    I live in Georgia, and found the reference amusing :)

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/03 16:41:39 (permalink)
    cakewalk have always said it was maintained by a 3rd party, so who knows

just a sec

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/03 17:11:03 (permalink)
    I believe Cakewalk servers switched domains or online server addresses sometime last week (when Command center and account downloads were interrupted by service).
    If the servers were put on part of Gibson's main servers that could possibly be an accident waiting to happen.
    For example, Gibson claims Bankruptcy. They would have no obligation to its software users or any customers in general (warranty's, returns, refunds, exc) Thus washing their hands clean.
    This is why I am so concerned about not having an unlocked code for future use (installing Sonar on a new PC).

Cakewalk not handing this lifetime authorization code has me puzzled for a couple reasons.

1- Not wanting to hand over a lifetime authorization could render Sonars code useless and become openly used by all for no price if it is shared. Who is going to file a complaint ?

2- Cakewalk not handing out the code makes me feel like they are trying to sell that code to someone for future use. I know that sounds unreasonable but its not. A lot can be done with this DAW it has the bare bones to build a great DAW on (even though the code is ages old).

3- It doesn't take long to bake up a one time unlock all Sonar platinum version (patching Command centers online handshake). So why are we waiting for it ? What's taking so long ? Why no communication about the off line authorization ? It can only mean they don't want to hand it out for a good reason. All we are hearing is "The servers are working and Sonar will continue to work".

This is of course only my opinion.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/03 17:31:33 (permalink)
    chuckebaby

and also off-topic somewhat as the thread is about this forum

i doubt anything will be moved to different servers for the forum, so it's more likely dependent on when their contract runs out with the 3rd party forum hoster

ot: for the lifetime authorisation thing, noel's already commented positively about this, but while we still don't have an "official" response, there are plenty of posts/threads in the forum about this

/good luck

just a sec

gmp
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/03 17:53:13 (permalink)
    chuckebaby
    I believe Cakewalk servers switched domains or online server addresses sometime last week (when Command center and account downloads were interrupted by service).
    If the servers were put on part of Gibson's main servers that could possibly be an accident waiting to happen.
    For example, Gibson claims Bankruptcy. They would have no obligation to its software users or any customers in general (warranty's, returns, refunds, exc) Thus washing their hands clean.
    This is why I am so concerned about not having an unlocked code for future use (installing Sonar on a new PC).

Cakewalk not handing this lifetime authorization code has me puzzled for a couple reasons.

1- Not wanting to hand over a lifetime authorization could render Sonars code useless and become openly used by all for no price if it is shared. Who is going to file a complaint ?

2- Cakewalk not handing out the code makes me feel like they are trying to sell that code to someone for future use. I know that sounds unreasonable but its not. A lot can be done with this DAW it has the bare bones to build a great DAW on (even though the code is ages old).

3- It doesn't take long to bake up a one time unlock all Sonar platinum version (patching Command centers online handshake). So why are we waiting for it ? What's taking so long ? Why no communication about the off line authorization ? It can only mean they don't want to hand it out for a good reason. All we are hearing is "The servers are working and Sonar will continue to work".

Thanks for your thoughtful insight on this, Chuck. We're all pondering different scenarios. This is a great community of users.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
    jwp9350
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/03 18:08:44 (permalink)

Jan Willem
    =================
    Sonar Platinum D 64bits
    Windows Professional 8.1 x64
    HP Elitebook i5  8gb
    MOTU 896 Firewire
    Mackie Control

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/03 19:39:38 (permalink)
    pwalpwal
    chuckebaby

and also off-topic somewhat as the thread is about this forum  

How so ?

cakewalk changed the domain for Command center (and your products page) what makes you think they wont do the same with this forum  ?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

panup
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2538
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/03 20:32:55 (permalink)
    Hello from  Plan B - cakewalkcommunity.com. My site will live long after Gibson has wired the plug from Cakewalk servers. You can get to solve your SONAR problems at cakewalkcommunity.com - there are skilled professionals are willing to help other Cakewalkers.

World does not end if this forum was closed without warning; all the posts are stored in countless locations across the internet in search machines, internet history etc. I will also build a knowledge base for SONAR users: workflow tips, workarounds etc. User base is still strong and there are tens of thousands SONAR users that will not change to a new sequencer any time soon...
    gmp
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/04 04:55:23 (permalink)
    panup
    Hello from  Plan B - cakewalkcommunity.com. My site will live long after Gibson has wired the plug from Cakewalk servers. You can get to solve your SONAR problems at cakewalkcommunity.com - there are skilled professionals are willing to help other Cakewalkers.

World does not end if this forum was closed without warning; all the posts are stored in countless locations across the internet in search machines, internet history etc. I will also build a knowledge base for SONAR users: workflow tips, workarounds etc. User base is still strong and there are tens of thousands SONAR users that will not change to a new sequencer any time soon...

Hey Panu, it's nice to have someone from Finland bonded to us all in Cakewalk. I"m glad we're all part of this global village and that you're dedicated to keeping this alive. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced I'm not going to use any other software just to bang my head against the wall only to find out I don't have some of the features I've gotten so attached to.

I've used Cakewalk products since 1992 and have developed countless tricks and tips and workarounds for the the quirks and bugs you find in any software, plus I have so many macros using Macro Express, plus tons of keyboard shortcuts. it would be maddening to jump ship.

When I heard about your forum after the Gibson announcement, I immediately signed up and know if something weird happens to this forum you'll contact all of your forum members to invite them in and help save the day.

I'm very interested in what you said about the posts being stored worldwide, I assume you're referring to the posts in this forum and other Cakewalk forums. Is that correct? And that you can build a database, so we can search posts similar to what we can do here? That sounds like a monumental task unless you have a way of retrieving that info with a program that can assemble large numbers of posts.

Is this what you have in mind if it comes to that? Hopefully we'll all have a little warning before the plug is pulled and maybe some old Cakewalk employees will assist in the task. Thank you for what you're already doing, I know it gives some peace of mind to all of us users.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Bassman002
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/04 07:18:51 (permalink)
    HI:)

I made a copy of it with HTTrack Website Copier, 7 Gig, nothing more....

Bassman.

gmp
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/04 07:53:20 (permalink)
    Basseman

I made a copy of it with HTTrack Website Copier, 7 Gig, nothing more....

Bassman.

Man this is good news. Did you only backup the forums? Did you try to backup the cakewalk.com website? If Cakewalk gets back in business they may appreciate the backup

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Bassman002
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/04 08:06:50 (permalink)

Only the forum, I like to have this knowledgebase to search for some things....

Bassman.

Marshall
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 602
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/04 09:51:17 (permalink)
    Basseman

Only the forum, I like to have this knowledgebase to search for some things....

Bassman.

I had no idea such a thing existed. Are there any limitations or is it really just like browsing the "real thing"?
    astaub
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/04 13:17:28 (permalink)
    The wayback machine has a copy of this forum (for anonymous users only), but without any content and if this forum is deleted, there probably will not be a completely new version.
    In addition, the wayback machine is slow and is itself in financial difficulties.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171201043952/http://forum.cakewalk.com/

sorry -not possible for proper direct link there, go to wayback maschine https://web.archive.org/  and search for you self.

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum (Lifetime), Cakewalk by BandLab (Beta), Steinberg UR28M, Windows 8.1 , Notion 6 (Presonus), Dorico 1.2x (Steinberg), Cubase 9.5.x Pro. , Studio One 3.5x (Presonus),  WaveLab Pro 9.5.x (Steinberg) Halion 6.x 
    gmp
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/04 16:55:53 (permalink)
    astaub
    The wayback machine has a copy of this forum (for anonymous users only), but without any content and if this forum is deleted, there probably will not be a completely new version.
    In addition, the wayback machine is slow and is itself in financial difficulties.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171201043952/http://forum.cakewalk.com/

sorry -not possible for proper direct link there, go to wayback maschine https://web.archive.org/  and search for you self.

I tried your link above and it worked. It's looks just like the forum. I tried doing a search and it doesn't seem to work. I also tried to login and that didn't seem to work either. Do you think the search does work, but is really slow? Still this is really cool that this thing exists.

I’ve heard stories on the news where someone changed their website or twitter to conceal something and someone who knew how to use some kind of internet archives, maybe even the wayback machine, exposed their cover-up.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/04 17:39:14 (permalink)
    If all else fails, there's always the NSA. Although you may need the Russians to hack into it.

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Ruben
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 472
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/04 18:15:25 (permalink)
    Like many things regarding Cakewalk's demise, there is some misunderstanding (and misinformation) about Cakewalk's servers.

Most online companies do not own their web servers - most businesses lease their servers from companies that specialize in offering web hosting services. Super companies like Microsoft, Google and Apple do own their own servers, and also a relatively small number of businesses of different sizes run their own servers, but by-and-large most everyone else leases web servers from web hosts. So, year after year, Cakewalk has leased and paid for hosting services, which means that the servers are located somewhere with many (usually hundreds of) other servers in a dedicated facility, with its own support techs. This means that Cakewalk servers will not eventually die due to lack of technical support. What will most likely happen is that sometime in the future Gibson will make a decision stop paying for Cakewalk's web services, at which point the servers will go offline. The database behind Cakewalk's servers will likely be saved somewhere, and if so the data from this forum will technically not be erased or deleted, but it will then be the decision of Cakewalk's owner as to what happens to that data and one possibility is that the data may never see the light of day, which is sad considering the amount of useful information here.

Bassman002
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/05 10:18:35 (permalink)
    @Marshall

It's like surfing on the original site!

I'll do an update every week...trying to get it in the cloud sometime!

Bassman.

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/05 16:56:18 (permalink)
    Basseman

I tried this and I only get the last 30 days worth of posts in each forum.

The options at the bottom of the forum page would have to be set to something else like "from the beginning" but how would you do that within HTTrack ?

I'm especially interested in saving the Instruments forum for all the great discussions that occured when Cakewalk's synths were being released and discovered.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: Is this Forum backed up, if Gibson kills it? 2017/12/05 18:03:41 (permalink)
    Paul P
    Basseman

I tried this and I only get the last 30 days worth of posts in each forum.

The options at the bottom of the forum page would have to be set to something else like "from the beginning" but how would you do that within HTTrack ?

I'm especially interested in saving the Instruments forum for all the great discussions that occured when Cakewalk's synths were being released and discovered.

The "from the beginning" vs. the "last 30 days" default is set with a cookie. Some webcrawlers support the use of cookies.

I have set things up so that I can download everything from any size list of links to individual threads. My interest is not in getting everything, as we all know there's an awful lot of threads that are either worthless to begin with or dated. So I took a more surgical approach, but one that can also accommodate lists of hundreds (or even thousands) of thread links.

So far I have already backed up thousands of threads working backwards in time in the subforums that I consider to have a good signal to noise ratio. Cakewalk Instruments is in that category and I already have a few years worth of threads done from it (as well as from Techniques and some of HW too, but I think HW will become mostly dated as I move backwards in time).

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1