Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar

Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2016/05/29 15:16:39 (permalink)

Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar

Hi!
I just purchased Izotope's new Vocalsynth plugin.  It works great as an effect, but they advertise it as also being an instrument, capable of being played with a keyboard controller for custom harmonies.  The manual doesn't list a how-to for Sonar X3 (it does for Pro Tools, Logic, Ableton and Cubase), so I contacted their tech support and they responded with these instructions:

To manipulate VocalSynth’s harmonies with your MIDI controller in Sonar please complete the following:
1. After installing VocalSynth, go to Cakewalk’s Plug-in Manager.
2. Next, find VocalSynth in the directory of VST plug-ins that are displayed and select it in the list. (if you don’t find it here, you may need to hit Scan VST Plug- ins first.
3. Under the “VST Configuration” controls, press the “Plug-in Properties” button.
4. Make sure the “Configure as Synth” checkbox is selected.
5. Right click on the Effects Bin for the track or bus you want to add harmonies to.
6. Go to the Soft Synths category and select VocalSynth. If VocalSynth is not present, restart Sonar.
7. Engage the MIDI Control button along the top of the VocalSynth interface.
8. Create a new MIDI track in your SONAR project.
9. On the MIDI track’s output dropdown menu, choose “iZotope VocalSynth” from the list.
10. Playback audio, and use your MIDI Input Device to play and record harmonies.

I followed this but the the Vocalsynth does not show up in the Soft Synth menu, even though it is configured as a synth and even after restarting not only Sonar, but the entire PC.  It also does not show up in the MIDI track's dropdown menu.  Does anybody here have any ideas?

Thanks!

John B

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007

13 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/05/29 15:23:40 (permalink)
    I do not have the plug-in but would avoid configuring the plug-in as a synth. Instead I would use the VST2 or VST3 drop down in the plug-in standard header to "Enable MIDI Input." This works with the other iZotope effects which use MIDI input for control. The instructions iZotope supplies should work but are not necessary with X3 and newer. Once the effect is configured to "Enable MIDI Input" it will be available in the output drop down of MIDI tracks.
    Johnbee58
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/05/29 18:26:11 (permalink)
    scook
    Instead I would use the VST2 or VST3 drop down in the plug-in standard header to "Enable MIDI Input."

How do you get to this?  This isn't exclusive of X3 Producer, is it?  I have X3 Studio.  I would really like to use this feature and would greatly appreciate any help anybody could give to make this happen.

JB

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
    NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/05/29 18:35:56 (permalink)
    No, Music Creator 7 and all versions of SONAR X3 and newer should have the MIDI enable options. First undo the "Configure as synth" setting and rescan the plug-in. Then after inserting the plug-in into the audio or instrument FX Rack set the "Enable MIDI Input" from the drop down shown here on a VST3 plug-in (VST2 have a similar drop down)

Once enabled add a MIDI track with the output pointed to the plug-in
    Johnbee58
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/05/29 19:19:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the graphic.  I know where that is.  I've seen that.  When you say undo the Configure as Synth, I'm not sure I know how to do that though.  I wish I can remember what the original configuration was.  I never worked with the Plug in manager before that.  Could you please guide me, Kind Sir?

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/05/29 19:29:29 (permalink)
    If you cannot remember how a plug-in originally scanned, move the dll/vst3 from the scan path, run the scanner, move the dll/vst3 back and scan again. If you do not know where the dll/vst3 are installed, the full path for the plug-in is shown in the plug-in manager.
    Johnbee58
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/05/29 19:55:09 (permalink)
    I don't know if it really matters.  It still works as an effect. I don't want to change anything there if I don't need to.

OK.  I did as you said (followed the graphic) and found the "Enable" check mark.  I did this, then created a MIDI track, found the Vocalsynth in the MIDI track's output list.  Then, I  recorded a test voice and played the keyboard, but it didn't seem to effect the voice track.  Maybe I need to set up something in the plug in itself, or am I skipping a step?

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/05/29 20:02:13 (permalink)
    Enable input echo on the MIDI track to send data directly from a controller to a plug-in (just like a synth). I do not have the plug-in so if there is some setup in the plug-in I can only refer you the the plug-in manual.
    tzzsmk
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/05/30 04:29:04 (permalink)
    just couple days ago I've been messing with vocalsynth, so this is what I learned so far:
    you shall not configure vocalsynth as synth/instrument in Sonar, yes it's misleading because you see keyboard in the plugin window, yet it CANNOT be used as synth/instrument, by default it should be correctly recognized as an effect,
    you need to apply this vst plugin as an effect (FX) on AUDIO track, and you need to create separate MIDI track to be used as MIDI INPUT for vocalsynth vst plugin,
    to understand how vocalsynth works, imagine as if it was a kind of gate controlled by midi commands, throughputting signal of a joint audio track once you press keys/buttons on a midi controller - that's basically it does :)

Core i7-5820K, ASUS X99-S, Kingston 32GB DDR4, EVGA GTX980Ti Classified, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    RME HDSPe AIO, RME Fireface 802, RME Octamic D, Seaboard RISE49, Presonus Eris E8, AKG K240 MKII, DELL U2713HM
    Johnbee58
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/05/30 10:58:46 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for your responses.  I solved the problem and this works the way it's supposed to.  The procedure I use:

1. Create Audio Track.  Record vocal & apply Vocalsynth from FX bin.
    2. Next to Vocalsynth's NO PRESET selection box there is a drop down box that says VST 3.  Click on dropdown and choose ENABLE MIDI INPUT
    3. Click MIDI Icon on Vocalsynth's top.
    4. Create MIDI track and go to OUTPUT box and select Izotope Vocalsynth
    5. Place MIDI track in RECORD. Play desired harmony on keyboard along with vocal on audio track.

Last night, I skipped step 3.  That's why it wasn't working then.

Thanks again!  I couldn't have figured it out without your help!

John B.

E-Dub
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/12/26 10:55:16 (permalink)
    I was having the same issue. What Johnbee58 posted worked.

Johnbee58
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/12/28 09:59:47 (permalink)
    E-Dub
    I was having the same issue. What Johnbee58 posted worked.

Glad it worked for you.

JB

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2016/12/28 13:12:31 (permalink)
    Good info!  Just to add, I had to make the same discovery with Sonivox VocalizerPro.  It is also an FX plugin that you insert into an audio track, but you still need to add a MIDI track to "play the effect" through its FX MIDI input.

Additionally,  I've learned that with Sonar's new patch points you can route live audio output from any soft synth to the audio track with the vocal FX plugin.  You don't need a pre-recorded audio clip or an external audio source, such as a microphone or instrument.  Just configure any soft synth to "Output = [New Patch Point]".  Then set the audio track with the vocal FX to "Input = Patch Point 1".  The sound from the soft synth is now routing to the audio track instead of the default Master output, and is then processed by the vocal FX on the selected audio track.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Midiboy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 414
    Re: Issue with Izotope Vocalsynth in Sonar 2017/11/06 19:35:40 (permalink)
    I just bought VocalSynth a few days ago and will be trying this out.  Some of the re-routing things get to be confusing to me.  lol.  

----
    Gregg
    Midiboy Music
    www.facebook.com/midiboygregg

Win10x64 (Eng), Sonar Platinum x64 (Eng w/ lifetime updates), 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB2 w/ Alesis MultiMix driver. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Korg NanoControl.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1