Issues copying instrument tracks from one project to another

Author
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
2018/06/30 18:33:12 (permalink)

Issues copying instrument tracks from one project to another

I'm trying to copy a bunch of instrument tracks from one project to another, and cannot for the life of me work out how to do this.

I can't copy/paste because the target(s) are expected to be already created instrument tracks (with the correct instruments loaded)

If I drag a project in from the Media Browser with just ONE instrument track into my existing project, it ends up creating 4 tracks:
  1. An Audio Track with the instrument track name, but with no instrument assigned
  2. A MIDI track with the instrument track name, which has the MIDI data of the track in it.
  3. A MIDI track called "Matrix Data Track" which is empty - what is this???
  4. A MIDI track called "Track 7" which is also empty - I've no idea where this came from either
At no point does the corresponding VSTi's get copied across, so I can't even click on the audio & midi tracks an select "Create Instrument Track"

If there's more than one instrument track, it just creates a mess of MIDI/Audio tracks that need tidying up and then I've got to manually re-create all the instruments/effects etc by hand.

I've got a bunch of tracks in one project, I just want to copy and paste them into another exactly as they are. To my mind this should be a really simple operation, so I must be missing something.

Anyone any ideas?

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio

2 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Issues copying instrument tracks from one project to another 2018/06/30 18:42:03 (permalink)
    save the tracks as a track template
    insert the template into the new project
    copy the data

msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Issues copying instrument tracks from one project to another 2018/06/30 19:14:42 (permalink)
    Thanks scook, this gets me most of the way there.

It does seem to mess up the last track, but inserting an empty track at the end and saving that with the template seems to work around this.

It still feels like this should be far simpler though - having to save/load to/from disk when both projects are loaded seems unnecessary, and the paste operation still creates a bunch of empty tracks which need deleting afterwords.

Copy / Paste is pretty basic functionality in anyone's book.

@Noel / Meng - is there any chance of adding "Copy selected tracks to clipboard" and "Insert tracks from clipboard" menu items (under the "Save as Track Template") to do this in one operation?

[Edit] - as an alternative, having being able to pick a destination project (if more than one is loaded) from the Duplicate Tracks dialog would be just as good.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1