Issues with Zoom R24 in WDM mode (solved via ASIO4ALL 2.11 beta)

Author
Dan.R.Hansson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2013/07/23 19:25:33 (permalink)

Issues with Zoom R24 in WDM mode (solved via ASIO4ALL 2.11 beta)

Short story: Zoom R24 in WDM mode would play back extremely gnarly and chopped up, no matter which settings I used. ASIO4ALL 2.11 beta saved my day.

Some time ago I bought a Zoom R24 recorder and have been using it as a USB audio interface with Sonar X1 Producer in ASIO mode with pretty solid performance. I also already owned a Steinberg CI2 interface. Used together, they would give me 9 analog stereo ins and 2 analog stereo outs, which I really wanted.

When I bought my R24 I was unaware that ASIO can only target one device at a time. That left me with the option of using WDM driver mode, if I wanted to use both of the interfaces at the same time. As mentioned in the recap above, in WDM mode my R24 wouldn't work well at all. I tried many, many combinations of settings. It would sometimes work for a few minutes, only to revert into bitcrushed choppiness again.

I had almost given up when I found out about ASIO4ALL. It's a wrapper driver meant to make any sound card look (to any program, such as Sonar for example) like it supports ASIO while in reality it runs in WDM mode. Or that's what the sparse documentation leads me to beleive anyway.

I was hesitant because of said documentation, but installed it anyway. Within a few minutes of really not much configuration at all (just trial and error clicking away, and a few restarts of Sonar) I had both the R24 and the CI2 seem to Sonar like they're one single ASIO sound card, which is exaclty what I want. And it just runs like a dream with low latency and stability on my fairly old Windows XP 32bit pc. 

Thought I'd share in case anyone is in a similar situaton.

//Dan
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1