Helpful ReplyIt is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 13:36:59 (permalink)
yorolpal
First, I'm sure they are premium quality. Second, I know you spent time and man hours producing them. Third, welcome to the new paradigm...they are still waaaaaaaay to expensive. Sorry. $50 is the new $300.

Not for top quality professional products.

Audio Deluxe member prices:
Softube Tube-Tech CL 1B  $149.99
Waves Vitamin Sonic Enhancer $83.99

UAD prices:
API Vision Channel Strip Plug-In $299.00
Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In  $349.00
SSL G Series Bus Compressor Plug-In $249.00

Musicians Friends prices:
Markbass Mark Studio 1 Amp Modeling System Plug-in $199.99
Lexicon MPX Native Reverb Software Plug-In $99.95
Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machine Software - Boxed Version $199.99

Hobbyists can get buy with less and there are some good plug-ins for less but $50 is not the new $300.  If it was there would be fewer professional products.
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 13:45:39 (permalink)
carl
Had a chance to try & both sound very nice. 73 for easy & classic vibe, 81 more detailed work.
Nice high end & punch, musical. There's not so much coloration & it will work on just about any material including orchestral.
These will replace more Nebulas instances which is always good for my workflow.

As far as the price there's no gun to my head. The quality's there, not overpriced compared to other top vendors.
One can always wait for a future sale promos, which we all know there will be.

Good job on these.

Carl, did you try the Demo of the Kuassa EVE AT1 and EVE AT4??  You can get both of those for $55...
that's less the 1/5th of what these cost for the pair...just curious...

cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 13:47:15 (permalink)
You can get the Demo here...

http://www.kuassa.com/products/eve-at-series/

clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 13:48:31 (permalink)
I would be curious if someone had real world time with a real Neve...How it would compare to using this IK Neve and the Sonimus Britson. Anyone out there rich with a real Neve?

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 14:06:13 (permalink)
#vintagevibe:  First, I was commiserating with IK...not bashing.  Second, I was being hyperbolic.  HTH.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
ltb
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2707
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 14:06:38 (permalink)
cclarry

Carl, did you try the Demo of the Kuassa EVE AT1 and EVE AT4??  You can get both of those for $55...
that's less the 1/5th of what these cost for the pair...just curious...

Thanks Larry,
I'll check them out.
vintagevibe
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 14:39:37 (permalink)
yorolpal
#vintagevibe:  First, I was commiserating with IK...not bashing.  Second, I was being hyperbolic.  HTH.

Ahh... I totally missed that.  I guess I need more coffee.
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 16:11:25 (permalink)
yorolpal
What's something of a mystery to me is that there are still folks out there (other than newbies) still in need of yet another good eq or compressor.  Especially when you consider the quality of what now comes with X3 stock.  Yes, I have eleventy jillion or so, but I've basically quit purchasing eqs, compressors, limiters and reverbs.  I'm really not even tempted anymore.  That said, I could be by the right plugin.  But these aren't they.

This is pretty much exactly where I'm at. Anymore EQ's or comps for me is getting to be a waste of time and money. You get pretty jaded after you already have a bunch of really good sounding options.

But IK shouldn't take that as a knock, and if they can keep making and profitably selling nice sounding new stuff, that's great. If I personally don't need (or like, or whatever) a new product at a given price I don't have to buy it. 

I just worry about how an increasingly mature and saturated market can keep all of the people out there doing good work afloat.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Eddie TX
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 16:21:53 (permalink)
drewfx1
I just worry about how an increasingly mature and saturated market can keep all of the people out there doing good work afloat.

There will always be a market for the new and improved, which these plugs certainly qualify as.  I think most would agree that most plugins do not quite match the sound quality of real hardware, but a lot of progress has been made recently towards that goal.  IK, UAD, Slate, and a few others are getting amazingly close to the real deal. 

Hey, I just noticed that these EQs are available from Audio Deluxe for $104.99 each, which I'd say is within the realm of the reasonable. 

Cheers,
Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
The future exists in all directions.
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 16:31:18 (permalink)
I'd like to have the Neve EQs... but (like our O'l Pal), I already have numerous high-quality EQ options.
ie: I've got at least four different models (different companies) of the SSL Channel strip.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 17:10:14 (permalink)
Eddie TX
drewfx1

There will always be a market for the new and improved, which these plugs certainly qualify as.  I think most would agree that most plugins do not quite match the sound quality of real hardware,

Be careful. Digital EQ is easily more "perfect" in terms of a given EQ curve with nothing additional and has been for quite some time. So "sound quality" has to mean "desirable analog flaws" in this context.

Digital emulations of analog gear (with all of its desirable idiosyncrasies) have been improving to the point where diminishing returns will appear, if they haven't already. And "diminishing returns" means "diminishing market demand".

And of course it depends on what standard of evaluation one is using - "better emulation" vs. "better sounding in and of itself".

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 17:46:43 (permalink)
With a healthy dollop of both emperor's new clothes and the placebo effect.

I'm a sucker for both.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 03:02:23 (permalink)
I have come to the conclusion over the years, that if you REALLY know what you are doing, whether or not use use the basic processors included in a program like Sonar or new and "exact" emulations such as this, by the time the track is mixed, few of the listening public would know what you used. As long as the music stands up in itself, when they stream your music and listen to it on their iPod, well you could probably not bother with too much processing at all!!!

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 04:20:06 (permalink)
Bajan Blue
I have come to the conclusion over the years, that if you REALLY know what you are doing, whether or not use use the basic processors included in a program like Sonar or new and "exact" emulations such as this, by the time the track is mixed, few of the listening public would know what you used. As long as the music stands up in itself, when they stream your music and listen to it on their iPod, well you could probably not bother with too much processing at all!!!

Quite similarly, I've noticed that whenever I can't seem to get things to work, I tend to start looking for different plug-ins. Though in some case they can make a marginal difference, more often than not, it's a vicious circle because I'm not dealing with the actual issue - my own lack of skills. 

When the arrangement is adequate and I am not fighting against a mix, my host's plug-ins work absolutely fine.

At the end of the day, for all the plethora of vintage plug-ins on the market and for all the abuse, pretty much everything that comes out these days sounds nothing like good old records form the analog days. So whether you use your host's plug-in or some fancy recreation, the results may be a bit different, but, better? I'm not that sure.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Eddie TX
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 12:37:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby IK Obi 2014/04/19 15:31:53
Rain
At the end of the day, for all the plethora of vintage plug-ins on the market and for all the abuse, pretty much everything that comes out these days sounds nothing like good old records form the analog days. So whether you use your host's plug-in or some fancy recreation, the results may be a bit different, but, better? I'm not that sure.

Good points, yes ... however, I am of the opinion that better-sounding tools contribute to a better-sounding end result.  For example, I'm working on a song right now that has a strummed acoustic guitar intro.  I was using the Waves Scheps EQ on that to sweeten and shape the sound to my liking, but when I substituted the new IK 73, I quickly had something that sounded unquestionably better to my ears.  I couldn't match that with the Waves plugin -- it just wasn't capable of sounding as good.  So that makes the whole mix "better" to me.

As these tools get closer and closer to the sound of real studio gear, the dream of having ITB productions that are indistinguishable from those made in million-dollar studios becomes closer to reality.  Not so good for studio owners, but great for independent producers and artists. 

Cheers,
Eddie

ltb
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 13:10:32 (permalink)
Eddie TX
Rain

Good points, yes ... however, I am of the opinion that better-sounding tools contribute to a better-sounding end result.  For example, I'm working on a song right now that has a strummed acoustic guitar intro.  I was using the Waves Scheps EQ on that to sweeten and shape the sound to my liking, but when I substituted the new IK 73, I quickly had something that sounded unquestionably better to my ears.  I couldn't match that with the Waves plugin -- it just wasn't capable of sounding as good.  So that makes the whole mix "better" to me.

As these tools get closer and closer to the sound of real studio gear, the dream of having ITB productions that are indistinguishable from those made in million-dollar studios becomes closer to reality.  Not so good for studio owners, but great for independent producers and artists. 

Cheers,
Eddie

Good points Eddie,

They're only tools.
I don't get philosophical or find any need to explore my inner self to validate their existence!
None of that plays into my decision in finding or purchasing something that may or may not be useful in my tool box.
Sometimes I don't mind paying a bit more rather than just getting a bunch of cheaper or free plugins that just occupy my vst folder then eventually wind up in the junk drawer.
That works the other way around too as well.

Bottom line it's a new release & a very good eq..
It has it strengths (sound & feature quality) & for some it's weaknesses. (price point)

@Larry, I installed but haven't tried those other plugins out yet..
cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 13:45:04 (permalink)
The main thing is that if the "less expensive" can basically do the same job...
Then it's pointless to spend the extra cash...it's like buying "designer jeans"
in the end..they're just jeans...so if Wranglers can do the job do you REALLY
need to wear Gucci?  Of course, some DO.  They have to be ON TOP.  Have to 
have the LATEST and GREATEST (perceived) of everything.  It's the American,
and worldly way...

Another thing I've noticed...if someone has plopped down their cash...9 out of 10
times WHATEVER they bought will be worth it...as they don't want to say...HEY I just
wasted my money, and could have got this for a lot less or free...we don't like feeling
bad about ourselves and our decisions.

It's also become quite LUDICROUS to buy something out of the gate, as time and wisdom
should teach you that, within a few months, it's going to half off or more...

Companies have created the "Illusion" of "Greatness (Waves, IK, etc...)
Granted their products are good...but are they REALLY that good to justify
spending 10 times the amount?  No, not really, not when other companies
are churning out products for 1/10th the price (or free) of equal or better quality.

I've come to expect MORE for LESS.  WHY?  Because of the shifting paradigm.
Tablets will soon be as powerful as PC's...BUT, their Apps are "pennies on the dollar"
in comparison.  Competition is FIERCE!  So these companies either have to:

A) Raise the App prices - not a likely scenario, as the "bar" has been set low to reach "more users"
    and make up in volume what is lost in "perceived quality" and price.
B) Decrease their software prices to compete....this is the far more "logical" answer, especially in 
    light of all the free or almost free to very inexpensive alternatives being offered out there, of the
    same or BETTER quality (i.e. Valhalla Room, etc...)

I, personally, don't have cash to "Just throw away"...that's why I spend time researching and finding
better prices and alternatives...and pass that on to everyone here...

Time for the Dev Companies to "wake up", and to swim or sink...
because the "Titanics" are taking on water....IJS....

Eddie TX
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 14:15:20 (permalink)
cclarry
Then it's pointless to spend the extra cash...

Can't argue with that, buddy ... in that same song, I'm using that free Slick EQ on hats and overheads, since I like the way it sounds on those.  Now, if there were a free plug that matched the sound of this IK model, I'd be all over that -- BTW, I haven't yet bought the IK 73, since it's free to demo for 2 weeks.  Would be nice to have a free / cheap alternative, but I haven't found one yet.

Cheers,
Eddie

cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 14:36:29 (permalink)
Eddie TX
cclarry
Then it's pointless to spend the extra cash...

Can't argue with that, buddy ... in that same song, I'm using that free Slick EQ on hats and overheads, since I like the way it sounds on those.  Now, if there were a free plug that matched the sound of this IK model, I'd be all over that -- BTW, I haven't yet bought the IK 73, since it's free to demo for 2 weeks.  Would be nice to have a free / cheap alternative, but I haven't found one yet.

Cheers,
Eddie

I hear that Eddie...

(BTW..these were general statements not directed anywhere just so everyone knows)

Did you try the demo of the EVE AT1 and EVE AT4 from Kuassa?  I know it's not the 73...
but these are only $55 for the pair right now...and it IS the 81...LOL

Speaking of FREE EQ's, I'll say this again, the Luftikus Maag clone is still one of my favorite FREE EQ's...
(The new interface is really nice also)

Also, I used the DDMF 6144, the Portico 5033 emu for $39, and it was quite nice...especially at that price
point.  THESE are the kinds of plugins I'm talking about that are going to start driving these Devs to get the
prices down or get out of the game.

It has to change...there is no alternative.  And the quicker they get on the bus...the farther they can ride it...

vintagevibe
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 14:50:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby IK Obi 2014/04/19 16:05:02
cclarry

If cheep or free was as good I would use it.  For me the only cheep or free plug-in that is usable is Toneboosters ReelBus. All the others I've tried, including Valhalla's stuff, are not at good as the one's I use.   If cheep or free works for you great but you are trying to rationalize your lack of funds but saying that if it is not cheep or fee that is overpriced.
cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 15:48:40 (permalink)
VV

Has nothing to do with my "lack of funds", it has to do with with "reality".

The reality is is that the prices HAVE TO FALL.  They're not going to escape it.
It's pure economics...

I've probably spent 10 times as much as you have in the course of my career,
and the ONE THING that is INEVITABLE - 2 to 6 months from now it'll be on
sale for half the price, and a year from now it's obsolete....the
problem is NOW, that so many are "in the game", and the competition has gotten
so fierce, to the point that they have NO ALTERNATIVE, they have to lower prices
to stay viable and compete.

It's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when" and it has nothing whatsoever to do
with my finances...

But, as always, this is purely my opinion....

cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 15:51:04 (permalink)
The sad part is...we're all Plugin "Johns" catering to the Plugin "Whores" who
sell the "goods" to us...

ltb
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 16:05:57 (permalink)
cclarry

Speak for youself.
To me they're simply product. I can take them or leave them.
clintmartin
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 16:12:54 (permalink)
vintagevibe
cclarry

If cheep or free was as good I would use it.  For me the only cheep or free plug-in that is usable is Toneboosters ReelBus. All the others I've tried, including Valhalla's stuff, are not at good as the one's I use.

Have you tried...LimiterNo.6, Sonimus, Klanghelm or Hornet? I love all of those (and Valhalla). I also use Fab Filter, and IK quite a bit.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 

vintagevibe
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 16:30:11 (permalink)
cclarry

No.  I'm just aquiring tools to get a job done.
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/19 18:08:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby IK Obi 2014/04/20 18:49:24
vintagevibe
If cheep or free was as good I would use it.  For me the only cheep or free plug-in that is usable is Toneboosters ReelBus. All the others I've tried, including Valhalla's stuff, are not at good as the one's I use.   If cheep or free works for you great but you are trying to rationalize your lack of funds but saying that if it is not cheep or fee that is overpriced.

In the distant past, I used to load every plugin I could get my hands on...
Had hundreds of them... 
After a few years, I realized that I only used a small handful of the higher-quality plugins.
For me, those plugins were virtually all from major name developers.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
vintagevibe
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/20 12:57:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby IK Obi 2014/04/20 18:49:32
Jim Roseberry
vintagevibe

In the distant past, I used to load every plugin I could get my hands on...
Had hundreds of them... 
After a few years, I realized that I only used a small handful of the higher-quality plugins.
For me, those plugins were virtually all from major name developers.

My exact experience.  I finally realized it was a waste of time to install all the free ones.
garyfox8
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/21 18:42:55 (permalink)
This is the constant challenge for home studio/project studio owners. When I buy stuff for work purposes, I can write it off as an expense and call it a day. For personal purposes it's pure out of pocket for love of the product. So if you have limited personal funds you need to be choosy about what you buy. Personally, I am a big fan of IK products. They have never let me down with their quality and functionality since I started with their Amplitube product back in (I think) 2002 or so. Coincidentally, I got the demo version from Cakewalk. I have a few companies like IK that I know I can trust regarding quality, so I tend to return to them. Some things I have paid full price for, others with big discounts. Since I trust their products, I figure it all comes out in the wash. 
clintmartin
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/22 16:30:25 (permalink)
http://forum.cakewalk.com/IK-Deal-esoundz-m3028910.aspx

And now it's a better deal. In the above thread IK did say all people who have bought the EQs qualify for this deal...plus I had 5 extra jam points added to my account.
post edited by clintmartin - 2014/04/22 16:56:02

Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/22 19:15:35 (permalink)
i prefer dealing with esoundz over IK.. solely for the reason they don't act so "odd" regarding re-downloading.. only IK does out of all the vendors I use... same goes with license transfers, I ended up with 2 of the same, wanted to give it to a mate.. and it turned out it would cost me more than the plug cost!!!

so IK.. fix up.. don't chat crud promising vapourware or 64 bit.. go i-app and stop saying "soon come" with regard to ST3.. it wasn't your i-app customers who got you your business... until you start to recall that I'll be dealing with fabfilter / fxpansion and many many more who don't have silly schemes to annoy their customers. that and your cost cutting VERY soon after release only ends up annoying people who buy ya products.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1