Helpful ReplyIt is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
IK_Multimedia
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
2014/04/17 11:28:58 (permalink)

It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today

New T-RackS Custom Shop featuring classic British EQ models released
T-Racks Models EQ 73 and EQ 81 give engineers the authentic sound of classic British consoles

We are happy to announce T-RackS CS 4.6, the newest release of the ubiquitous T-RackS CS (Custom Shop) mixing and mastering plug-in and standalone tools that features two new must-have British EQ models that provide the warmth and tone heard on countless recordings around the globe:  the EQ 73 and the EQ 81.

EQ 73
The new T-RackS EQ 73 model is based upon a classic British hardware unit that is universally acknowledged as the most used preamp in music recording history. The original “class A” device has a sonic signature almost instantly recognizable to engineers and recording enthusiasts the world over. Thanks to its unique and innovative circuitry the signal passing through it becomes thick and bold making every instrument stand out with audible fullness.  The T-Racks EQ 73 model captures this nuance so that even in the DAW environment the tone stays intact.

The EQ 73 is an extraordinary EQ, and our engineers went the extra mile to make sure the part of the preamp circuitry functionality was captured as well — a feature no other emulation on the market has included.  The interaction between the preamp and the EQ section is what makes this legendary EQ so desirable.  The gain range is so wide that many color shades can be found. At lower settings it adds some harmonic coloration that will make kicks or snare fatter and punchier. Going up the gain hill moves it into downright distortion with an analog saturation rarely found in DAW plug ins. This is a killer function that adds that elusive "analog" character to a sterile sounding track, or provides a new creative effect.

EQ 81
Following in the footsteps of its older sibling, the EQ 81 takes the word versatility even further; the EQ section is composed of 4 independent frequency bands, rounded out by high and low pass filters to eliminate unwanted frequencies from the signal.  This EQ powerhouse is at home in practically any mixing work where there is the need to sculpt the tone of a track with precision and musicality.  Plus, adding to the versatility is the ability of the high and low shelving bands to become peaking type if needed.
As with the EQ 73 model, IK Engineers made sure the preamp circuitry modeling was ultra-accurate and usable. It’s class A/B circuit design delivers another range of tonal coloration, and while the EQ section is so accurately modeled in the EQ 81, its interaction with the preamp stage is what really sets the module apart providing identical sonic hardware performance not found in other digital models. Countless hours were spent not only in making sure the EQ curves are dead-on accurate, but that the preamp response and overall module interaction was faithful to the original hardware unit.

Both the EQ 73 and the EQ 81 models have the dual concentric knobs found on the original units “separated” for easier and faster shaping, and the unit offers improved readability of the knob positions for quick adjustment.

Pricing & Availability
The T-RackS Model EQ 73 and Model EQ 81 are available now from the IK Multimedia web site or the T-RackS Custom Shop for an introductory price of $124.99/€99.99* or 125 Custom Shop Credits.  All T-RackS processors are also available for separate purchase from the IK Multimedia web site. T-RackS CS (Custom Shop) is a free application that can be downloaded after registration from IK Multimedia’s T-RackS.
*Excluding taxes.

To learn more about EQ 73 click here

To learn more about EQ 81 click here

To download T-Racks Custom Shop for free click here

More Resources:
Read the full Press Release
ltb
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2707
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 12:00:45 (permalink)
Interesting. I'm  in the middle of a cd project & don't have time to demo.
Hope others will post opinions compared to Scheps, UAD, PSP & especially the Nebula models (which are the best imo) 
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 12:36:46 (permalink)
So if I have this on the front end, and get Britson for the backend, I will have the same board as Dave Grohl???

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 12:48:53 (permalink)
clintmartin
So if I have this on the front end, and get Britson for the backend, I will have the same board as Dave Grohl???

Don't know if you've watched Sound City or not..but Grohl's console is one of a kind...there are no others.
That board was made especially for Sound City by Rupert Neve...and that is the board that Grohl has...
Sound City paid $74,000 for the board way back then...the owner only paid $38,000 for his home...

cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 12:55:25 (permalink)
BTW...Obi, IK is missing the Mark here again...

This should be included in the British Bundle...that would make current British Bundle owners
very happy, and encourage others to upgrade or buy the BB....following in the "Waves" BM...

Instead...intro priced at $100 each....hmmm...no....sorry...that will force most to wait for a sale...
and again you lose sales...

Someone there needs to wake up and smell the coffee IMO....

cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 15:40:53 (permalink)
Obi, why is it that the past 2 times I have installed the "New" CS...that
when I run it it says "you need the new version" and I'm then forced to download
the 1.5 installer for Custom Shop again?  

Are you packaging the WRONG version of Custom Shop with the installer?

Just curious, as this is the second time that that has happened...

bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 15:50:48 (permalink)
Obi can't catch a break...

Rocky
IK_Multimedia
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 15:56:33 (permalink)
Try running Custom Shop from within T-RackS (not the application itself) the first time after you install the latest version of T-RackS and if that doesn't help, support can see what's going on for you and get you up and running smoothly.  http://www.ikmultimedia.com/support
cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 16:14:20 (permalink)
IK_Multimedia
Try running Custom Shop from within T-RackS (not the application itself) the first time after you install the latest version of T-RackS and if that doesn't help, support can see what's going on for you and get you up and running smoothly.  http://www.ikmultimedia.com/support

Wasn't a problem...I already had 1.5 downloaded so reinstalled that and all is well...just seems kind of odd behavior,
as the T-Racks installer installs Custom Shop when it runs...but then I have to updated it back to the 1.5 version,
so maybe they've got 1.4 packaged with the TR Installer...IDK....

clintmartin
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 18:19:14 (permalink)
cclarry
clintmartin

Don't know if you've watched Sound City or not..but Grohl's console is one of a kind...there are no others.
That board was made especially for Sound City by Rupert Neve...and that is the board that Grohl has...
Sound City paid $74,000 for the board way back then...the owner only paid $38,000 for his home...

Yes. That was what I was referring to. Sound City is a great movie, and that board is nice. This would probably be good to have (Ik makes good stuff), but I can't pay that much for an EQ. It would be hard to beat the Free one from TDR,VOS and Vladg...plus I have a gazillion eqs anyway. I'm saving up for drum sampler upgrades.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 18:47:07 (permalink)
I'd like to get the Neve EQs, but $250 for the pair is a bit much (IMO).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 19:26:44 (permalink)
clintmartin
cclarry
clintmartin

Yes. That was what I was referring to. Sound City is a great movie, and that board is nice. This would probably be good to have (Ik makes good stuff), but I can't pay that much for an EQ. It would be hard to beat the Free one from TDR,VOS and Vladg...plus I have a gazillion eqs anyway. I'm saving up for drum sampler upgrades.

I agree Clint.  I've got a zillion EQ"s....and upgrading AD is going to be high on my penny-saving list.
My fav free EQ is the luftikus Maag clone...and I've got all the T-Racks stuff already except for the Echo,
and the new comp, and these....and have no intention of getting any of these till there's an "almost free"
sale.

IK needs to realize that if they did "include" these for those who already have "The BB" then that would
get more people to invest in the BB....and in IK...I think they are missing the mark, just as Cake has done
in not getting more PC Modules to the table....

Oh well...whatever...I don't need these (or anything really else) to do what I do...and AD better have
upped the game a lot...or it will be a "wait for a sale" attitude there also...time will tell.  Now that I
have BFD 3, it's going to be hard to beat. (Pardon the pun)

clintmartin
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 19:26:51 (permalink)
Yeah, I thought it was $125 for both and still thought that was too much. Ouch! I'll make do with Pro-Q and my other 15 EQs.

cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 19:28:40 (permalink)
clintmartin
Yeah, I thought it was $125 for both and still thought that was too much. Ouch! I'll make do with Pro-Q and my other 15 EQs.

YES...and those are "INTRO" Prices???!!!!

IK_Multimedia
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 19:52:23 (permalink)
We always procure the original hardware and spend months meticulously modeling these units to bring a premium plugin to the market at a fair price.  These aren't even considered premium prices by many (nor do the plugins require some expensive DSP-based card or a USB dongle or even an update plan) but we do feel that they are definitely premium quality, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with (or above) top plugins in the industry, and they are priced moderately for how good they sound.
gmon72
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1052
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 21:09:51 (permalink)
I guess then the fire sale plugins and instruments are priced based on how they sound?
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 21:23:54 (permalink)
First, I'm sure they are premium quality. Second, I know you spent time and man hours producing them. Third, welcome to the new paradigm...they are still waaaaaaaay to expensive. Sorry. $50 is the new $300.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Eddie TX
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 23:01:18 (permalink)
IK_Multimedia
We always procure the original hardware and spend months meticulously modeling these units to bring a premium plugin to the market at a fair price.  These aren't even considered premium prices by many (nor do the plugins require some expensive DSP-based card or a USB dongle or even an update plan) but we do feel that they are definitely premium quality, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with (or above) top plugins in the industry, and they are priced moderately for how good they sound.

Based on some preliminary testing, I must say Obi is right.  These plugs are, as of now, the best emulations of the Neve EQs you can get ... with the only possible exceptions being Nebula-based, which is a whole other ball of wax.

The high boost is very sweet, sounding a bit better to me than Waves' latest 1073 emu.  Same goes for the low end, which seems beefier.  Overdriving the input produces some natural-sounding fuzz, which I like better than what Waves' "Drive" control does.  The GUI is very nice, too, although the Waves lets you control Mid and Side simultaneously.

As for the pricing, that Waves plug, which comes fairly close to the sound of IK's 73, could be had for $85 for a couple of months after it came out.  $120 seems a bit steep, so I'd wait until the inevitable credits sale ... kind of aggravating that these are priced at 125 credits each, and there's a 120-credit pack available for $100 ... why couldn't these go for 120 credits??  Why, IK, why???

Anyway, yet another stellar modeling job by IK's developers.  Those guys are on the cutting edge.

Cheers,
Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
The future exists in all directions.
clintmartin
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 23:06:32 (permalink)
Yep, they make quality stuff...no doubt. I was hoping they would just scrap the whole jampoints and credits thing. Everytime I think about buying an IK product (and I have many) I have to stop and think about all of the different scenarios for 15 minutes. 

Eddie TX
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 23:13:39 (permalink)
Maybe someone should write "IK Custom Shop for Dummies," laying out all the tips and tricks you could use to get the best prices for their stuff.  Might be a pretty hefty book, though. 

Cheers,
Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
The future exists in all directions.
yorolpal
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/17 23:33:54 (permalink)
One additional problem that IK (and to greater or lesser extent other companies) faces is that if you are continually deeply discounting your plugs via "incredible sales" or group buys you are basically telling folks that the no brainer price is THE price of your software. Companies like UAD almost never severely discount their plugs...likewise folks like FabFilter who rarely run sales, so that when they do it's a real opportunity. IK seems to want their cake and to eat it too. My take is that they have positioned themselves...stupidly and like it or not...in the middle of the market and should price their offerings accordingly. With their current high to low pricing structure they run the risk of becoming just another laughable Crysonic. And that is something no serious software company wants.

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 07:53:37 (permalink)
The one disadvantage to buying on sale...

you don't get "Jampoints", which are pretty useless anyways...so no big loss.

When I got in on the Amplitube Group buy I got 0 Jampoints for my purchases.

One day, when they are out of the PC business and strictly iThingies...they'll 
realize where they missed the boat...

Here's a comparison

IK's British EQ's = $250 @ the INTRO price

Kuassa's EVE 81 and 85 are on sale right now for $55 for the PAIR!!!

http://www.kuassa.com/products/eve-at-series/

THIS price point is about where all the IK add ons should be - about $50 each...not at $150  to $200 EACH!!!

Waves is smart enough to realize that they won't get the retail price, so they
have SALES EVERY MONTH and get the prices down so that they can SELL.

The question is "Why don't they just price these appropriately and SELL THEM right out of the gate?"

It's the "ILLUSION" of being "GRAND" - The Grand Illusion of being more expensive and better then you
really are, to make people believe they are getting a better deal when on sale.  Marketing at it's finest (WORST).

IK_Multimedia
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 11:13:11 (permalink)
You get JamPoints for the product you purchase in our promotions (just not for the bonus items that are free during the promo).  You should contact support if there was an issue, they would help.

So has anybody actually tried them to come to the conclusion that they aren't worth what we're asking in your opinion?  Thank you for your assessment of our pricing and future, but we've been at this for 17 years and don't have plans to leave the MI market nor do we shoot in the dark - we use the years of data and experience in the industry and typically shoot even lower in pricing than we should based on that data.
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 11:44:10 (permalink)
IK_Multimedia

People should check out prices of UAD, Sonovox etc...  TRacks is as good as anything out there and the prices are more than fair.  That doesn't mean everyone can always afford every new plug-in at any given time.
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 11:59:25 (permalink)
vintagevibe
People should check out prices of UAD, Sonovox etc...  TRacks is as good as anything out there and the prices are more than fair.  That doesn't mean everyone can always afford every new plug-in at any given time.

Agreed on the quality...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 12:11:04 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
vintagevibe

Agreed on the quality...

If some people haven't tried other top brands they may not realize how good IK stuff actually is.  I sold both my UAD cards with the softare because I liked the IK stuff so much better and the UAD plugs are as expensive as they get without even considering the DPS card costs.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 12:17:10 (permalink)
yorolpal
First, I'm sure they are premium quality. Second, I know you spent time and man hours producing them. Third, welcome to the new paradigm...they are still waaaaaaaay to expensive. Sorry. $50 is the new $300.

I'm kinda in this boat.

I know they are good.

But for what I need, I think I will take the FF "Timeless" delay instead of one of these.

[edit] I will upgrade the TRC. Thanks for that info Obi.
post edited by Grem - 2014/04/18 12:19:28

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
cclarry
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 13:11:19 (permalink)
IK_Multimedia
You get JamPoints for the product you purchase in our promotions (just not for the bonus items that are free during the promo).  You should contact support if there was an issue, they would help.

So has anybody actually tried them to come to the conclusion that they aren't worth what we're asking in your opinion?  Thank you for your assessment of our pricing and future, but we've been at this for 17 years and don't have plans to leave the MI market nor do we shoot in the dark - we use the years of data and experience in the industry and typically shoot even lower in pricing than we should based on that data.

Then you need to fire some people...IJS....

I didn't get Jampoints for my purchase...nor will I contact customer support for something that
just should have been automatic.  Don't really care....they're pretty useless anyways...

17 years?  That's almost as long as it has taken to get ST 3 ready to go...
(BTW...I've been a customer almost that long...)

Seriously though...you're prices are too high..I don't care what you compare them to...
and that will force MOST to WAIT for a sale...just logical.  No one really needs an EQ that
bad.

The NEW Paradigm is that prices are FALLING...many are FREE....and you can't continue
doing what you're doing and stay competitive...just common sense...no one can...

Try offering some of these things as "Updates" to existing packages....you'll make 
a lot more customers happy, and still sell them and encourage others to buy the 
Package Deals in the process.

But that's just my opinion, but what do I know after 35 years of doing this....
we'll see how you fair a few years down the road...

Thanks for the update Obi!

ltb
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2707
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 13:14:16 (permalink)
Had a chance to try & both sound very nice. 73 for easy & classic vibe, 81 more detailed work.
Nice high end & punch, musical. There's not so much coloration & it will work on just about any material including orchestral.
These will replace more Nebulas instances which is always good for my workflow.

As far as the price there's no gun to my head. The quality's there, not overpriced compared to other top vendors.
One can always wait for a future sale promos, which we all know there will be.

Good job on these.
yorolpal
Re: It is not an iThing or an app - but it's also not ST3.... New from IK today 2014/04/18 13:27:34 (permalink)
What's something of a mystery to me is that there are still folks out there (other than newbies) still in need of yet another good eq or compressor.  Especially when you consider the quality of what now comes with X3 stock.  Yes, I have eleventy jillion or so, but I've basically quit purchasing eqs, compressors, limiters and reverbs.  I'm really not even tempted anymore.  That said, I could be by the right plugin.  But these aren't they.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1