And then 30 more to the right
With your hands on your head
You hold your breath real tight
But it's the quirks and the bugs
That really drives you insane

Never need the workarounds again
Never need the workarounds again

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 18:48:23 (permalink)
Bob Dylan you ent.
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 19:31:11 (permalink)
Does anyone have a good handle on how unreliable (not working as described or intended, workarounds and kludges aside) SONAR has been as opposed to competing DAWS? I have spent waaay too much time reading the SONAR forum to have any real perspective, since most of what we find there is fails and confusion.
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 19:49:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/12/15 20:18:27
slartabartfast
Does anyone have a good handle on how unreliable (not working as described or intended, workarounds and kludges aside) SONAR has been as opposed to competing DAWS? I have spent waaay too much time reading the SONAR forum to have any real perspective, since most of what we find there is fails and confusion.

I think that's almost impossible to evaluate, because people will blame software when it's a hardware or configuration issue, and many people 'don't know what they don't know', so they'll find a 'bug' when it's just lack of knowledge. Add to that the many and varied workflows of different genres and styles..blinkered fanboi-ism..hatred of Windows..hatred of Macs...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 20:21:40 (permalink)
Get a grip, dood.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 20:39:29 (permalink)
You know Landslide it's guys like you that will get the forums shut down sooner than later. Why don't you piss off to your new home and stay there. You need a good shot upside your head.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 22:16:58 (permalink)
slartabartfast

Actually ever since the fatal news from the other week, I guess my rose colored glasses have slipped a little and it's really begun to annoy me how dysfunctional Sonar is in practice. It might have something to do with the unconscious thought that these bugs will now remain baked into the program forever....

For instance, I've just been playing with some MIDI tonight and it struck me that no, Sonar's MIDI is not all people crack it up to be. Very unreliable during playback, especially if you're editing stuff on the fly. When you move a MIDI note, the change takes a second or two to kick in, which means that if the playhead reaches the new MIDI note before that delay has passed, Sonar will still play the old note. Now that's just crap. I was using the MIDI to trigger gestures in Stutter Edit, and it made experimentation with different gestures a complete nightmare. I think the bottom line is that Sonar does not really perform well during playback. Turning plugins on and off sometimes causes tracks to go out of sync with each other. Turning sends on during playback will make the audio on the bus go out of phase with the tracks. Changing a MIDI input or output during playback causes the audio to cut out briefly. 

And little things that have bugged me forever which NEVER got fixed even though I provided very clear bug reports, for instance enabling a loop causes automation to go out of sync with the track by a few beats, so that when playback returns to the start of the loop, automation envelopes from a few beats before the loop will trigger. 

In the past, I soldiered on through annoying bugs like this because I had this eternal hope that they would be fixed one day - now that I know they never will, they're beginning to really get on my nerves. I think half the problem was that people who use Sonar as a sort of glorified tape machine and have a very conventional workflow (from reading the forums, I think this is quite a large % of users) rarely experienced many of these bugs. But if you're the kind of person who experiments a lot with synths and routing and complex automation and sound design and what have you, Sonar starts to fall flat on its arse and other DAW's leave it in the dust. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 22:52:16 (permalink)
ampfixer

You know Landslide it's guys like you that will get the forums shut down sooner than later. Why don't you piss off to your new home and stay there. You need a good shot upside your head.

Well, simply because it's not my new home, been there for 2 and a half - 3 years, plus I am a SONAR Platinum Lifetime (oops) member, so I'll decline your generous offer, but do feel free to take it up yourself (you can take that 2 ways) I think the best thing for all would be to close this place down actually.

Well if we were in person, you could try the shot upside my head, although I think you'd find you would be in for a rude awakening internet tough guy.

Thanks for playing

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 22:59:43 (permalink)
bapu

Bob Dylan you ent.

Ain't that the truth

paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 23:05:45 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
bapu

Bob Dylan you ent.

Ain't that the truth

I'd consider that to be a compliment*

* As long as that is ok with Jamesg.
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 23:08:13 (permalink)
Well I would to actually, didn't want to say it, although Bobs ok in small doses, I can stomach him more than I can Elvis or the Beatles.

Wibbles
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/15 23:59:28 (permalink)
Gloaty Mc Gloatface

I'm off to see the Wibble, the wonderful Wibble of Wobble

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/16 00:22:52 (permalink)
Matron Landslide
ampfixer

Well, simply because it's not my new home, been there for 2 and a half - 3 years, plus I am a SONAR Platinum Lifetime (oops) member, so I'll decline your generous offer, but do feel free to take it up yourself (you can take that 2 ways) I think the best thing for all would be to close this place down actually.

Well if we were in person, you could try the shot upside my head, although I think you'd find you would be in for a rude awakening internet tough guy.

Thanks for playing

I'm not a tough guy, just someone that hates trolls. Explain to me what you get out of trolling Sonar users on a Sonar forum. Don't they let you post on the SO forum? Burned all your bridges? You're not Donald Trump in real life are you? You act like him.

If you conduct yourself this way in your real life I'm sure the smack upside the head has found you already. I'm an old man, but I'm guessing you're a little kid. Hard to tell via the net.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/16 00:30:47 (permalink)
It's Alex.
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/16 00:31:49 (permalink)
LOL  it's all in the sig, not trolling, just speaking the truth, (if there is something I have said that is not true, please by all means . . . ), and having a little humour a long the way, you do remember humour?

Going on 54 myself there old timer, I'm the same in real life as here, and no, unfortunately for you it has not found me yet, thanks in the most part to a lot of intense training in various disciplines in my younger years up until the age of 30. I beleive in telling it how it is, speaking your mind  and consequences be damned.

, nice try, and again . . . Thanks for playing

Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/16 00:32:37 (permalink)
Beepster

It's Alex.

We have been through this before, no it's not . . . Thanks for playing

tobiaslindahl
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/16 00:42:03 (permalink)
Sonar works exactly the way it did one month ago, and any problems I have writing good music is not due to the software. It never was, really. I came to the conclusion I am fine with Sonar and what it can do, the software is not a limitation for me at all anymore, in fact it has been many years since that was the case. Any lack of creativity is due to me, not the software. 

But hey, what do I care if others want to go with DAW X Y Z ... 99% of us produce nothing but garbage anyway no matter what DAW we are using. The DAW is NOT the main issue. Talent was, and always will be, the important thing. 

Enjoy ! ( thanks Trump! ) 
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/16 03:07:57 (permalink)
Beepster
It's Alex.

It's not Alex Mr Beepley.

Alex it ain't.

I knows me some Alex and this guy is not he.

The proof is I can read more than three words into a post by the esteemed matron without losing the will.

It might be Will?

But not Alice.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: It's Astounding 2017/12/16 03:13:25 (permalink)
This thread will be locked due to complaints.

Best
John
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1