Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose

Author
Stevethesearcher
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
2008/09/12 13:02:26 (permalink)

Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose

You may remember I posted a thread about looking for an electric guitar between 300-600 Dollars.

I was looking for an electric guitar to play crunchy metal riffs.

Lots of you guys gave me good recommendations such as Epiphone Peavey Ibanez and others.

However its like this all the music shops I have gone to dont have Ibanez Peavey or a lot of the other recommendations in my price range. So if I want to take those suggestions on board I would have to buy online which as regards a guitar is not my preferred option.

The guy in the music shop gave me two options and here they are

1. LAG electric guitar with Power Magnet Humbucker pickups- 250 Euro

2.Epiphone SG model electic guitar with Anilco Humbuckers- 300 Euro

Somehow I am veering towards the Epiphone SG

However I had to ask here first before I bought.

13 Replies Related Threads

Stevethesearcher
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/12 13:32:55 (permalink)
    Sorry the Epiphone is G-400 model
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/12 14:47:00 (permalink)
    Thats a version of the 64' Gibson SG I think. Nothing wrong with that guitar, especially for the money. You should be able to get some great hard rock/metal tones with it, especially with the right stompox. Did you get to play it? How did it feel? Play it thru an amp, and get a feel for it, and let us know.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/12 14:49:10 (permalink)
    Epiphone is G-400 model

+1
    Stevethesearcher
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/12 15:17:05 (permalink)
    Thanks Ed and Randy.

Actually I am a disadvantage as I have not played guitar in years and I used to be an acoustic player.

I have no experience of electric guitars. The Epiphone felt ok but I am so long out of the game I really wouldnt know.

I sustained a finger injury a few years ago which caused me to stop playing. I suffered a swan neck deformity of the little finger of my left hand. I had an operation in April to reconstruct the ligaments in the finger.Thankfully it seems to be successful.

The finger is not perfect but its much better than it was.I feel able to resume playing and so therefore I am but its like starting all over again.

My surgeon is very pleased with the finger as is my hand therapist. Touch wood that I will get back into playing again but I aint playing any guitar out loud in a music shop until at least 12 months.
    post edited by Stevethesearcher - 2008/09/12 15:19:08
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/12 15:23:06 (permalink)
    over all those other guitars, i'd suggest a used carvin.
    highly suggested.

the glue-in, and neck thru models, can acquire a very low action...
    the build quality is generally high...

a lot of bang for the buck.

change out the electronics down the line, if you like the guitar.

i'm constantly on the lookout for a not too expensive les paul (think $2000 range) that can outplay my '84 carvin DC200K, and i have YET---to find it.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/12 15:24:10 (permalink)
    Steve, screw that! Get back down there, plug it in, turn it up, and play a couple of simple chords. You can play a few simple chords, and get a feel for how it sounds, without using your little finger. Trust me, you wont sound any different than most of the "kids" in there, wankin away on Metallica intros!

Have them tune it up for you, and play it a little. No need for embarrassment. Anybody looks at you funny, just say its a guitar for "guests" to use in your recording studio.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/12 15:39:13 (permalink)
    My main concern with Epiphones from Korea is suspect intonation.

If you want the full retail store experience buy a pack of your favorite strings and ask the store to string it up and get it intonated.

If it checks out with your string preference you're good.

If it doesn't let them keep your strings and look for another guitar.

best,
    mike
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/12 15:46:32 (permalink)
    I have only good experiences with newer Epiphones. But if you're going to do a lot of clean full-chord strumming, the SG will be useless. Good for powerchords and single-string picking, though!

j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/12 22:10:11 (permalink)
    mungocherry33
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/12 22:34:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Stevethesearcher

Thanks Ed and Randy.

Actually I am a disadvantage as I have not played guitar in years and I used to be an acoustic player.

I have no experience of electric guitars. The Epiphone felt ok but I am so long out of the game I really wouldnt know.

I sustained a finger injury a few years ago which caused me to stop playing. I suffered a swan neck deformity of the little finger of my left hand. I had an operation in April to reconstruct the ligaments in the finger.Thankfully it seems to be successful.

The finger is not perfect but its much better than it was.I feel able to resume playing and so therefore I am but its like starting all over again.

My surgeon is very pleased with the finger as is my hand therapist. Touch wood that I will get back into playing again but I aint playing any guitar out loud in a music shop until at least 12 months.

I've had a problem with the same finger for the 38+ years that I played before a different sort of injury led me from bass and guitars back to keys. And that is, that it moves in lock-step with my ring finger, but not on the other hand. You just have to find different chord voicings, and it can actually help u develop your own style, having to find different paths. The great Django Reinhardt had only 2 fingers I believe, on his fretting hand. A used Carvin is a great alternate reco, as someone said. Just silly how low you can get the action, and ebony fretboards. Nothing wrong with the Epi though. I always liked SG's, and I was mainly a bass player. Carvin and Fender basses.

Swap out the pups later if u want, and perhaps the 'tronics BEFORE a PU change. But no need for quite awhile. Go with the G-400.
    Griff The Riff
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/14 05:49:46 (permalink)
    Not wishing to throw a spanner into the desision process, but have you thought of a Variax? It's not got a designer lable / big brand name, but they are very good guitars. The modelling is very impressive and there will be something in there that delivers the sound you want, as well as a load of sounds you didn't realise you needed but will when you hear them. I have 14 guitars, and some are real classics, but they all got shelved when I bought a Variax 300.

Originally I got mine because i needed a 12 string acoustic sound. I A B tested it against an Ovation and in a blind test couldn't tell which was the real 12 string. If you are looking at it at it is just wrong, but on a recording that isn't an issue. When i got it home and tried the other sounds it just blew my mind and as we play a lot of different styles in my band, it made life easier.

As you said you started out on acoustic's, the variax will give you that sound but with the playability of an electric. A note on the acoustic sound, don't play acoustic sounds through an electric amp, use a PA or acoustic amp. Also, the sound is of an acoustic that has been recorded through a microphone, and not an acoustic played sat on your knee, but it is the sound you'd get gigging or recording the real thing.

Griff
    Stevethesearcher
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/14 10:02:33 (permalink)
    I was leaning towards the Epiphone G-400 model but I am hearing reports that while its a good hard rock guitar it does not do really mean metal.

AC/DC fine and some Metallica but according to some reports really low end metal is not good on the G-400.

I dont like the boogie woogie Angus Young AC/DC style.I am much more Rammstein and Paradise Lost influenced. I like a really low bass end crunch and not a sharp crisp crunch which is AC/DC.

I am now stuck and I may need to buy off the internet.

For a reference point see- Paradise Lost- Dont Belong and thats the sound I want

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Its down to two guitars or the Internet-Help me choose 2008/09/14 10:29:54 (permalink)
    Characterizing ANY guitar like that is really going down the wrong path.

Big metal as you are describing is done with skinny strings, funky tunings, and lots of attitude.

I believe you can use any guitar that YOU enjoy playing.

good luck on the search.

best,
    mike
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1