Its getting worse

Author
dowda
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/01/21 16:42:10 (permalink)

Its getting worse

I unchecked the audio options recording and playback to always use mme interface even when wdm drivers are available and now there is no input options in the track and A[] in the output. I checked this option back and restarted MC and still the same. Any ideas

11 Replies Related Threads

bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/21 20:31:48 (permalink)
    Complements of Robomusic...

Basic beginners setup tutorial:

When you first get MC there are a few things that will be necessary to get it up and running. First to install it you need to fake out your computer to make it think it has an older version of DirectX intalled, usually it is not necessary to actually install the older version, just go to support/music creator/FAQ/ and find the link for “dirextX 8.1 was not detected on your system” there is a patch there download it to a folder of choice and with the installation Cd in the rom driver double click that file and it will install off the CD making the computer think it has directX 8.1 . Actually you will still have DirectX9, and MC will not care in the least.

Now for audio, midi playback and recording setup. Open the program it will usually run the wave profiler for you the first time you open it. You will get two pop ups to start with first a Tip of the day box will display, if you want you can scan thru a few of those, when done close it then a project box will display, close that also. Go to the top of the screen and find options, left click that and a box will appear, find audio click that and another box will display it has several tabs at the top the first is “general”, you will see tow thin boxes that are named playback and record wave devices, they should contain the name of your sound card, if it does not then run the wave profiler again to see if it adds it. Once that is right set the buffer slider to around the middle to start with that will save another problem later. Go to the advanced tab and check the box “Always use the MME interface even when WDM drivers are available” this will force the system to use the older windows MME drivers just incase your sound card does not support the newer WDM drivers, and will give you another option for midi playback. Now go to the input monitoring tab and unhighlight anything in the large white box, proceed to the drivers and driver profile tabs and make sure that your sound card is listed there as well, click okay and go back to options/midi devices, here a box will display that has two side one for midi input and the other for output, if using a midi keyboard you will need to highlight the input that the keyboard is plugged into, for out put if your sound card has it’s own midi synth chip you can highlight that, if not highlight Microsoft synth GS, that is an internal synth chip that will playback midi. DO NOT highlight Midi Mapper, it does not play sounds. Now the program should reproduce both midi playback and wave file output.

One point to remember is that midi is not sound, a midi track or file is just a complex data stream, that tells a synth chip what note, instrument, volume, timing, velocity, etc. to play at, it takes some kind of instrument that can decifer that data and produce sound from it like a synth or keyboard. Audio files are actual recordings of sound waves on the hard drive, the two are vastly different, MC is a program that brings the two worlds together to co-exist.

Take the time to go and do the tutorials they will give you a solid basis for using MC. A lot of the folks that come here are beginners, and have read the box that says this is a snap and will have you making songs in a few minutes, while that can be true if your system is setup right, computer recording is complicated and has many variables. Be patient and ask questions, read many posts, and find other sites that are related to music, I personally have bookmarked 7 different forums that I participate in and many are far advanced over my thick head, so I am learning everyday.
    post edited by bargainboy1 - 2006/01/21 20:34:47

Jeff
    dowda
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/21 20:44:25 (permalink)
    Hey there, thanks for getting back to me. I will read over this. As you can tell I am new, and moving very very slow. I have only used a 4 track recorder and that is easy. This does seem like you have to know alot about the computer itself to keep the software going. I have printed MC manual out but the instructions seem incorrect, is that true? The ones I get off this forum seem to work. I think that leads to my confusion. Again thanks for helping me. I have been trying to record all day. I have a few tracks down but did not have a monitor to my guitar while recording, so its a little off. Later guys
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/22 17:02:51 (permalink)
    The manual is not that great. This is Cakewalks entry level program and they don't seem to spend a lot of time on the support for MC. There are things in the manual that don't even apply to MC, which is an extremely watered down version of Sonar. That being said, you can get MC set up properly and learn to use it.

If you want a book that has some excellent information, Scott Garrigus has written a bunch of books for various recording programs. Just go to this page, http://www.garrigus.com/powerbooks.asp, and select, from the right side of the page, whatever software you have. You will be taken to the correct book for your needs. I reccomend Scott's books - you will learn a lot.

Jeff
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/24 11:41:49 (permalink)
    Hi Dowda,

As Jeff suggested (Thanks, Jeff!), you might want to check out one of my Sonar Power books. Music Creator is just a scaled-down version of Sonar. The book will walk you through all of the software features with step-by-step examples and exercises. You can find more info and a discount at: http://www.garrigus.com/powerbooks.asp

Thanks!
    Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6, SONAR, SONAR 2, SONAR 3, SONAR 4, and Sound Forge 8 Power! books. ** Sonar 5 Power The Comprehensive Guide - Now Available! ** Books up to 37% off at:
    http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free copy of Cakewalk's Sonar 5 music recording software and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 18,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
    http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/
    dowda
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/24 14:57:53 (permalink)
    Hey Thanks, I will check into these. I have made a little headway recording with the guitar but I can't hear what I am playing along with the previous tracks. Is it possible to have monitoring? I understand help files tell you how then they tell you it won't really work. What would be the proper way to do that?
    Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/24 19:23:41 (permalink)
    The big issue raises it head, how to monitor and still not pass on the existing tracks to new ones, If you turn off input monitoring, then it will not double track, but then you can not hear the new track. Arrrgggghhh. Here is what i do, I went to the guitar center and purchased a small behringer mixer, the 602 (or 802), that allows me to keep Input monitoring off and monitor with headphones from the mixer, and hear both existing mix and new tracks in my 'phones and all is good. I wish there was an asier way , and i am sure there is, but this works and works well.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2006/01/25 18:28:05

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    dowda
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/25 08:34:20 (permalink)
    Is there a difference between coming out the pre amp out and doing what you just described.
    Robomusic
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/25 12:32:51 (permalink)
    Preamp out of what, a mixer? That i do not know, the way I connect to a mixer is as follows.

Line out of the sound card to tape in on the mixer

Main out of the mixer to line in on the sound card.

Depress the to the mix button and then attach the headphones to the Headphone jack, on the mixer

and the speakers to the control room output, that way i can use both with ease, my speakers have a volume control on the front so i can just turn them off when recording.

Music Town
    dowda
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/25 14:37:15 (permalink)
    I'm sorry it is pre amp out of my guitar amp.
    Robomusic
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/25 18:27:43 (permalink)
    Simply put your geetar amp is not a mixer it does not have a control room or to the mix button, so while it will send a pre-ampped output to MC, it will not allow you to loop back and then monitor the whole mix like a MIXER will, a work of caution, not all mixers do this, make sure that any you look at are not just PA systems, but true mixers with the ability to route all signals to a controlled output.

Music Town
    lowtidelou
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Its getting worse 2006/01/26 12:20:49 (permalink)
    Hi - I have been reading this thread for the last few days. I think I'm having the same problems that you are having, and I was wondering if you ever figured out how to solve the problem.

The crazy thing for me is that I actually did follow the tutorials and had session drummer working for about three days. Then I must have screwed something up, because I can't hear anything anymore. I went back and read over two tutorials from Robomusic (start up for beginners and using session drummer). I even was thinking of re-installing the whole MC program. Have you figured it out yet? If so, please share how you fixed the problem. If you haven't, be advised that I have sent an email to cakewalk tech support, and I'm hopeful that they will be able to give us the fix - I would be happy to share it with you if I get anything.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1