Helpful ReplyIt’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else)

Author
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
2017/03/14 17:24:22 (permalink)

It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else)

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/10/its-official-drummers-are-smarter-than-you-and-everybody-else/

"Far too often, drummers have been given the shaft. Second to only, maybe, bassists, they’re the member in the band considered most replaceable: you can just pull some chump off the street, sit him behind a kit, and on with the show. According to science, however, drummers aren’t the mouth-breathing neanderthals humorists have made them out to be. News and analytics site PolyMic compiled a group of studies that indicate drummers are not only generally smarter than their bandmates, they actually make everyone around them smarter too.

The research suggests that drummers have innate problem-solving skills and a positive impact on communities. Researchers at Stockholm’s Karolinska Institutet found that, after playing a series of beats, drummers who had better rhythm scored better on a 60-question intelligence test. Seems using all the various parts of a drum kit to keep one steady beat is actually an expression of intrinsic problem-solving abilities.

Furthermore, other studies show that rhythmic music can actually make other people smarter. A University of Washington psychology professor found that his students got higher scores after undergoing rhythmic light and sound therapy. A University of Texas Medical Branch researcher using the same method on elementary and middle school boys with ADD noted an effect comparable to Ritalin. In fact, the boys’ IQ scores actually went up and stayed up.
It gets even crazier, and more primordial, with reports suggesting drumming played a role in our own civilization. Researchers at the University of Oxford discovered that drummers produce a natural “high” when playing together, heightening both their happiness and their pain thresholds. The researchers extrapolated that this rhythmic euphoria may have been pivotal in mankind establishing communities and society. Essentially, drum circles were the very foundation that made human society possible.

And for one final bullet into the heart of drum machine enthusiasts everywhere: When drummers make errors in beat, they’re actually tapping into a natural rhythm found all over Earth. Harvard smarty-pants discovered that a drummer’s internal clock doesn’t move linearly like a real clock, but rather in waves. This wavy rhythm pattern is found in human brainwaves, sleeping heart rates, and the nerve firings in felines’ ears. So when a drummer slips up, they’re actually just matching the elemental beat of the world.
To boil it all down, drummers are smarter than you, more in-tune with nature than you, and are the whole reason you and I have a society in which to mock drummers in the first place. Kind of puts a whole new perspective on our “Greatest Drummer of All Time” poll, don’t it?
PolyMic also recently looked at research on guitarists’ brain power, determining that shredders are more intuitive and in fact slightly psychic. Next, we’ll learn how bassists are better than the rest of us at 2048."

bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 18:46:19 (permalink)
Being able to count to four is considered smarter than everyone else if your 6 months old.

badda boom

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 19:43:12 (permalink)
As one who has actually knowledge about many of the areas talked about (and has worked with a PhD to design light & sound glasses that are too strong for average consumer use), I'm getting a good laugh out of this!  Ignoring my own theories of why the current intellectual quotient system is basically a flawed ranking methodology, the author took several areas which are proved to be connected both to improving intelligence, added Circadian Rhythms and the trance-inducing stimulus response mechanism, then drew a sideways conclusion based on no actual evidence or tests.  Brilliant!

The face of higher intelligence.  Daryl will like this!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
bapu
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 19:45:36 (permalink)
craigb

The face of higher intelligence.  Daryl will like this!

That is our Drummer but we have yet to get a name out of him.

All we ever get is "1, 2, 3, 4".
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 19:48:14 (permalink)
Now if we could only train them to shower... and change their socks occasionally.

/jk
//but not really
///THREEVE
Beepster
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 19:50:16 (permalink)
bapu
That is our Drummer but we have yet to get a name out of him.

All we ever get is "1, 2, 3, 4".

Although bassists can count higher they skip a bunch of numbers so it's hard to tell who wins.

1-5-1-5-1-5... and so forth...
craigb
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 19:53:33 (permalink)
I think triplets were created by a drummer who couldn't count past three.  "1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3..."

bapu
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 19:54:46 (permalink)
2/4 was created by ooompa drummers
craigb
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 19:56:15 (permalink)
I'm surprised that the author didn't talk about Elliott Wave theory too.  Lots of fan-boys around that (not that it's all that inaccurate, I've just discovered there's more to it than what's been published and followed).  Gann is closer.  Scarily closer.

Beepster
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 20:08:12 (permalink)
savageopera
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 20:13:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2017/03/14 20:16:39
"So when a drummer slips up, they're actually just matching the elemental beat of the world." As a keys guy, I sure wish I had an excuse like that. I've played with a couple of drummers who were really "elemental".
post edited by savageopera - 2017/03/14 20:50:53

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
craigb
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 20:20:16 (permalink)
If they were really that intelligent, why can't they hold down a steady pizza delivery job for more than a month?

Did you hear the one about the bass player who locked his keys in the car?  It took over an hour to get the drummer out.

Personally, I keep a pair of drumsticks on the dash of my car so I can park in the handicapped spots.

What did the drummer get on his SAT's?  Drool.

But, what does it mean if the drool is coming out of the drummers mouth equally on both sides?  That the drum riser is level.

Etc., etc.

craigb
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 20:21:22 (permalink)
Now, just to be fair, I DO know some intelligent people that play drums (including some that post here), but to stay that playing drums will make you intelligent, well...

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/14 20:45:25 (permalink)
Everybody knows John was the smart one.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
thedukewestern
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/15 11:16:25 (permalink)
Well - Im not a nuerologist.. or a scientist, but I am a student.  My first instrument was the drums, also my college major, even though Im holding a guitar in that pic over there.

Id like to see the slipping up tempo - natural rythmns of our planet thing unpacked a little more as it is interesting.

One thing I want to point out here is that the articles listed above don't disclose much about the test subjects.  The level of development of someone who maxes out at 4 on the floor isnt the same as someone like simon phillips.

I will say, that without a doubt, playing, practicing drums, and working on 4 way co-ordination has physically evolved me in irreplaceable ways.  When you can get all 4 appendages in control, and in sync.. with music... its the coolest thing ever.   I would imagine that someone who has spent years finetuning 4 way co-ordination with a metronome would have incredible mental capacity... however... it would be something they developed through steady, meditative practice.

A band is only as good as the drummer.

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/15 16:14:18 (permalink)
Those of ewe who play six-stringed instruments probably already gnu this, but I Am alarmed about the revelation that guitarists are also psychic. Psychotic, sure. That's obvious. Psychic? If so, they hide it very well.

I mean, if they were, wouldn't they remember the set list? Wouldn't they know what random verse the singer accidentally started singing? Wouldn't they know where to load in, how to find the gig, or how to carry their own amp? At the very least, I would think they would realize the foolishness of standing too close to a crash cymbal just after telling the crowd another drummer joke. 
craigb
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/15 17:10:30 (permalink)
The only proof I need to provide that I'm NOT psychic (maybe they meant side-kick?) is that I spent $3,900 to go to Europe in 1981 instead of investing that money in Microsoft.

Bhav
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 887
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/17 23:33:56 (permalink)
The intelligence of musicians in general is highly underated. 

They require some of the highest memory and motor function skills, as well as needing to be quick to learn new pieces. 

But then I have to try learning how to use recording software and realize that I must be talking crap because I'm freaking useless with it. How did I manage to self teach to grade 8+ piano and yet I struggle so much with learning how to use DAWs?

I7 6850k, Asus RV10E, 32 Gb ram, SLI GTX 980 Ti, Creative Soundblaster Z, Yamaha DGX 630, Creative Aurvana Platinum headphones.
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/19 03:31:00 (permalink)
mikedocy

Harvard smarty-pants discovered that a drummer’s internal clock doesn’t move linearly like a real clock, but rather in waves.

So what happens to time when a drummers speed approaches that of light (such as Buddy Rich)?

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
Bhav
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 887
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/22 04:01:38 (permalink)
Are the drums much harder than playing the timpani cos I used to play those in my uneee orchestra and found them easy thanks to my impeccable sense of rhythm from much study of Scott Joplin, but unfortunately Ive never got to play with a drum kit.

I7 6850k, Asus RV10E, 32 Gb ram, SLI GTX 980 Ti, Creative Soundblaster Z, Yamaha DGX 630, Creative Aurvana Platinum headphones.
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/22 17:13:27 (permalink)
quantumeffect
So what happens when a drummers speed approaches that of light?

They go back in time and de-evolve into Neanderthals or Homo Erectus.
The presence of this phenomenon is readily detectable in most drummers.

post edited by mikedocy - 2017/03/22 19:49:44
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: It’s official: drummers are smarter than you (and everybody else) 2017/03/22 17:43:47 (permalink)
quantumeffect
So what happens to time when a drummers speed approaches that of light (such as Buddy Rich)?

This got me thinking as to whether the sonic boom when a drummer's sticks broke the sound barrier would be louder than the actual drum hit or not - maybe the drums wouldn't even be necessary.

But not being a drummer, I'm not smart enough to know the answer.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1