I've been converted!

Author
danlou1984
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
2008/09/07 10:10:04 (permalink)

I've been converted!

So having sided with cubase for 4 years currently on SX3 I moved over to Sonar 7 Pro. And I am asstonished by what it offers and delighted with the program.

Its everything I've ever wanted in one program! I'm still amazed as I type this.

What I do need from you guys is to point me to various threads that will help people like me just starting out with the app..

I've managed to swap the keystrokes other to what cubase uses so at least my shortcuts are now the same :)

Just want to say what a great program it is!!

25 Replies Related Threads

ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 10:13:46 (permalink)
    welcome to Sonar!

The search button at the top right of the browser is your friend. Do a search on various things that might puzzle you. I can practically guarantee that, any question you will have, someone (or 100 someones) have asked it here, and received answers. You can spend a lifetime searching this forum, it is an amazing knowledge base.

Also, there's a sticky at the top of the forum with links to tutorial videos.

Edit to add: URL Here:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=925376

YouTube has some good ones, too.

Have fun!
    Ed
    post edited by ed97643 - 2008/09/07 10:15:22

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    danlou1984
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 10:14:06 (permalink)
    Also forgot to say I've got a few VSTi and FX plugins that when I load them up in Sonar they just show a grey screen and done fill it with the instrument/fx like it would do with others..

Does that mean they're not compatible? They worked previously in Cub sx3
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 10:16:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: danlou1984

So having sided with cubase for 4 years currently on SX3 I moved over to Sonar 7 Pro. And I am asstonished by what it offers and delighted with the program.

Its everything I've ever wanted in one program! I'm still amazed as I type this.

What I do need from you guys is to point me to various threads that will help people like me just starting out with the app..

I've managed to swap the keystrokes other to what cubase uses so at least my shortcuts are now the same :)

Hello,

A new broom always sweeps clean.

GK
    CassidyGT
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 10:18:29 (permalink)
    Turn off X-Ray Windows (Some apps are incompatible such as Waves VST API)
    Options - Global - (I think)

Also forgot to say I've got a few VSTi and FX plugins that when I load them up in Sonar they just show a grey screen and done fill it with the instrument/fx like it would do with others..

Does that mean they're not compatible? They worked previously in Cub sx3

THAT JUST HAPPENED!!
    Ricky Bobby

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 10:20:21 (permalink)
    Dan, I still use the other program also (v4) the plugs, if they are part of sx3 . well they are locked to that most of the time... as it checks that a steinberg product is the host..

that does annoy that they did that... since I've also paid for the plugs as well as the sequencer itself.. if you list some of the plugs, might be an idea.. but normally it will give you a message along the lines of no steinberg host found.. so they won't work
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 10:28:36 (permalink)
    RE: I've been converted!

If you reduced your bit-rate, I just hope you dithered yourself

Welcome!

danlou1984
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 10:46:51 (permalink)
    Thanks guys that x ray thing did the trick! What does it do?

To the post about the sx plugs - I also found that! I added the steinberg vstplugs folder to sonar and it spat out lots of errors.. this is not compatible with this host etc etc.. "bothered"

F cubase.

The first thing I did was organise the plugins and fx folders.. You dont know how long I've wanted that facility.. I actually made folders and organised them myself in windows so they were represented where I wanted them when selected in cubase..

I am currently in love with the mixer... I love the fact you can drag/drop/copy fx across the audio channels.

One question, I have a plugin thats on every channel.. How do I setup a "buss" to take that effect.. and route it to which ever channel I want it to effect?

Like I've got 4 tracks of audio I want each to have the same plugin.. Is there another way without having four instances of the same Plugin?

I tried adding the fx to the effect send1 buss then clicking on the thing below the fx bit and selected it but it messed my levels up..

I'm a little confused lol
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 10:57:46 (permalink)

One question, I have a plugin thats on every channel.. How do I setup a "buss" to take that effect.. and route it to which ever channel I want it to effect?

Like I've got 4 tracks of audio I want each to have the same plugin.. Is there another way without having four instances of the same Plugin?

I tried adding the fx to the effect send1 buss then clicking on the thing below the fx bit and selected it but it messed my levels up..

Create a bus (if you haven't already done so)...use the "Sends" on each of the tracks to route a "split" of the audio signal to that bus...Insert the desired effect in the FX bin of the bus...Typically you would use a 100% "Wet" mix on the effect...You then control the amount of each signal that is affected by using the "Send" control on the individual tracks...

What you're failing to comprehend (according to your original post) is that you don't "route" a plugin to different channels, your "route" the channels to the plugin...It's actually quite simple if you understand bus structure...

Regards,
    Papa
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 11:02:17 (permalink)

You're going to have fun! There is a small end-user wiki available called the SONAR User Wiki which is a place to gather and index information about SONAR. It is small and slowly growing, and good information can be found there already.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 11:06:13 (permalink)
    One thing you are going to notice is the quality of the included plugin in Sonar over what SX 3 has. You may find that you don't need much else. BTW Welcome to the forum AKA as the force. Its the opposite of the dark side you had to deal with all that time. I too am a Cubase ueser SX 3. Haven't used it much though.

Use the sticky on the first page to access a lot of good threads that can help. Also you will find the best thread up there called How To get Help. Its highly recommended.

Best
    John
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 11:08:04 (permalink)
    How do I setup a "buss" to take that effect

1. Add a new bus if necessary (Insert -> Stereo Bus)
    2. Right-click on the track (in the gray area left of the fx bin) and select "Insert Send" and the bus
    3. Make the track taller if necessary, so you can see the new aux send
    4. Click the little box to the left of "POST" - green means it's enabled, and it's disabled by default
    5. Drag the fx from one of your tracks down to the bus

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    SteveJL
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 11:09:20 (permalink)

Create a bus, name it, output the bus to the master output bus, add the effect to the bus, and output each track to that bus.
    post edited by SteveJL - 2008/09/07 11:10:03

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 11:11:48 (permalink)
    Another welcome here. Just adjust your garbagometer so you can filter the useless threads out and you'll find this forum to be a value added surprise incuded with SONAR.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 11:23:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SteveJL

Create a bus, name it, output the bus to the master output bus, add the effect to the bus, and output each track to that bus.

That's not a completely accurate suggestion (in fact, and I'll accept all the criticisms that are sure to ensue, it is TOTALLY wrong)...

By choosing to "ouput each track to that bus" the user has no control over how much of the original signal is affected...Using "sends" and bus "returns" is not only the most appropriate way (in most situations) to use FX, it is the only way to retain total control of how the effects alter the original source...
    post edited by papa2004 - 2008/09/07 11:26:55

Regards,
    Papa
    danlou1984
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 11:28:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

How do I setup a "buss" to take that effect

1. Add a new bus if necessary (Insert -> Stereo Bus)
    2. Right-click on the track (in the gray area left of the fx bin) and select "Insert Send" and the bus
    3. Make the track taller if necessary, so you can see the new aux send
    4. Click the little box to the left of "POST" - green means it's enabled, and it's disabled by default
    5. Drag the fx from one of your tracks down to the bus

Thanks for the organised post.

So do I control the levels for said track still via there individual fader? it seems to be playing through both the effects buss and the orginal audio track...
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 11:37:37 (permalink)

That's not a completely accurate suggestion (in fact, and I'll accept all the criticisms that are sure to ensue, it is TOTALLY wrong)...

By choosing to "ouput each track to that bus" the user has no control over how much of the original signal is affected...Using "sends" and bus "returns" is not only the most appropriate way (in most situations) to use FX, it is the only way to retain total control of how the effects alter the original source...

Papa it would depend on the FX used. There are two broad categories of FX. Those that modify the sound and those that add to the sound. Compression would be former reverb would be the later. Reverb can be on a track or a send most often. Compression is most often on a track or a bus without a send. These are just examples but I think you get the point.

Best
    John
    SteveJL
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 13:32:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

No wonder you're taking the heat you are taking lately from so many people. It is a perfectly functional method of routing that I use ALL the time, so for you to rate it "TOTALLY wrong" is just, well, so papa-ish. You're really a knob sometimes, you know. You didn't even offer a alternative.

Apologies to the OP. You will see this crap now and then, it's the type of thing that inspired my sig, and why I block people like this (I unblocked him only because a quote made me see he had replied to me). You will learn the people "lay of the land", just take your time, the truth always makes itself known.

Back to the subject, there are many routing possibilities in Sonar, and several have been described so far, you will no doubt find what works best in the different recording situations you encounter.

Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 14:05:04 (permalink)
    It is a perfectly functional method of routing that I use ALL the time,

Agreed! I use both methods, especially for drums and parallel compression.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 14:20:09 (permalink)

Welcome!

And don't ever forget: no DAW software is perfect! (But I think you made the right choice anyway)
    danlou1984
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 16:36:56 (permalink)
    Well I really really hate cubase since switching.. I had to use it today to finish off a project for a client which I used the orginal session files I made in cubase.

Can't believe it.

Anyways thanks for the posts, still not completely got my head around it but I'm sure it will come in time.

I'm thinking about purchasing one of those video packs I think its called "know it all! Sonar 7"

Not sure if they're any good
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 16:44:18 (permalink)
    Hey danlou1984

Welcome aboard :)

I have to agree that SONAR is a great program. I often use FX's on individual tracks and on busses and with multiple busses too and SONAR handles all that and more with ease, the other thing I love are envelopes. There are so many great features it would take ages for one to discuss them all in detail LOL!! There's a lot of very cool Sonarites on this site who are long time users with plenty of experience should you need any help with SONAR and as already suggested there are 'Sticky's' and existing topics that are very useful. Also, I recommend the SONAR 7 Power (Book) a comprehensive guide.

mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/07 23:09:30 (permalink)
    Apart from the froum you'll see many links to video clips on the first forum page and as far as reference books go you can't go past SONAR 7 POWER by Scott Garrigus who is a regular contributor to the forum here too. He's probably busy at the moment as I believe that SONAR 8 Power is slated for release in Dec 08.

Scott is a Power user and above all has an excellent teaching style reflected in his writings which also cover Sony's Sound Forge and others. His website is also jam packed with useful information.

Also look for writings by Craig Anderton who too is a power user and regular contributor here and to publications like Sound on Sound among others.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    CTek
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/08 00:29:14 (permalink)
    +1 regarding the book - Sonar 7 Power.

I purchased Sonar a couple of months ago and find it much more helpful than the .pdf manual that comes with Sonar.

My Songs 

Sonar 7 | EZ Drums | Pod Farm| Dell Optiplex GX 270 with 1G | XP Home | Mackie 1202 mixer | Adam A7s | AKGC414 B-ULS | Shure SM-58
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/08 05:42:08 (permalink)
    A useful companion to Scott's Power books is "Cakewalk Synthesizers" by Simon Cann.

Takes you through all the basics behind synth theory, then applies it to each of the soft synths we all have.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    danlou1984
    RE: I've been converted! 2008/09/08 06:58:02 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, will look into them shortly...

D
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1