I've been writing again.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2011/10/10 21:03:57 (permalink)

I've been writing again.

Yep, hard to believe, but I've been working on a new tune with Pat....  

This song is NOT FINISHED, but it is getting there. I plan to record the vocal and the guitar solo again as well as make level adjustments. Nits in the vocals and the solo tone is not what I'm really hearing.... I cranked it in there as a filler for now.

If you were mixing it, what would YOU do differently than I have done to this point? 

I am considering recording a male vocal in the pre-chorus and in the chorus in harmony below the female.  The parts are rough recorded but they did not make it to this WIP version..... it will likely be a week or more before I can get the singer back to the studio. 

Did I mention ....it's country?   Yeah, I know...again, hard to believe...... 

Here's the link>>>>>   http://www.soundclick.com...hi&songID=11124487

Thoughts on the song, the recording, production, are all appreciated. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

39 Replies Related Threads

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/10 21:38:06 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker,

Excellent arrangement and sound quality!  I suggest this:
    1.  Highs and mids perfect. Need some lows and a hair more fullness in that range.
    2.  Lead vocal is good but... needs more spark?  Just a shade down in emotion maybe?  The song is better than the vocal delivery.
    3.  A male and female duet?  Female on the first verse, male on second and harmony in the chorus?
    4.  Drums, guitars and violin are wonderful.  Can't really follow the bass.

I would love to hear the next version.  Did I say I loved the song?  

Great job. 

Rimshot 

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/10 21:52:46 (permalink)
    Herb.............  For a song thats not finished, it sounds good.
    But I always like listening to your recordings .

To me it sounds good mix wise, everything sounds in its on place, But the vocal.
    Its sounds like it was recorded in a different place.   Not glued with the rest.

You said you was going to redo the vocal ???    Try a different mic. 
    One of the best female recordings I have done, I used a SM 58 <~~~~really.
    Sometimes a mic change is better than any EQ you can do.  It does it for you.

Love the tune............ :)

Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/10 21:53:22 (permalink)
    Rim Shot.... thanks... I agree with your observations....

1, yeah I have the bass & drums down a bit in this mix. Intentionally so I can hear details.

2. yup, she & I spoke about this briefly and .... yup....next time she will "own this tune"! 

3. thinking of letting her handle the verses and just joining on the PC & CH on harmony.

I will post the final version in a new post.... it will likely be a few weeks.... schedules and all that.

Thanks for listening and commenting. 
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/10/10 21:54:25

BMI/NSAI

Rus W
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 01:53:30 (permalink)
    That was amazing! I have no idea why, but I heard this in a movie somewhere - I'm saying it could be in one someday.

Somehow I went back to I Hope You Dance.

Again, great song and it'll be better once you iron out the kinks.

(I'm completely jealous! You actually got vocals on your track and here I am stuck with such loops that don't come close to fitting my pieces! Bah!)

I wouldn't be surprise if "May I have this dance," is asked alot. (I mean this in the nicest way possible!)

Love your signature too!

iBM (Color of Music) MCS (Digital Orchestration)  

"The Amateur works until he (or she) gets it right. The professional works until he (or she) can't get it wrong." - Julie Andrews

Guitarhacker
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 08:41:25 (permalink)
    Rus, thanks for listening. 

When I wrote this with Pat, I was thinking of a certain country group, which I think this might fit very well. 
    I would also be satisfied with a movie placement, but yeah, with that country artist singing it. 

Thanks again.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 08:47:05 (permalink)
    Scoobie...

At this point it's  just some small course corrections for most of it. I guess if you consider scrapping the vocals and recording entirely new tracks nit picking....

good insight there on the vocals. I happen to have a SM-58 here as well. The main vox mic has been my Rode NT-2A, but on the next vocal session, I will use the 58 and the 2A. A side by side comparison might just prove to be interesting. 

Thanks 

BMI/NSAI

vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 09:11:56 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty good!  Nice arrangement.  This is 70's country? Pat has such a nice voice.  Really enjoyed it!

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 12:52:23 (permalink)
    Nothing I could add, will keep an ear for the more finished version

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 13:48:13 (permalink)
    No problems with the volume so far. Wow...that sure is LOUD
    Guitarhacker
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 15:32:17 (permalink)
    Vechung... That's not Pat singing. Pat is a co-writer with me and a mighty fine lyricist.  That's Cassie singing.  She's 16 and a friend of my daughter. 

Wookie.... I will let you know when the finished version is out.

Montezuma... you're kidding.... right? 
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/10/11 15:34:00

BMI/NSAI

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 15:34:10 (permalink)
    I would do a nice eq cut at 1.5khz on her voice, as it seems to be overloading the accompaniment. And have her re-sing it, she has a nice voice but lacks either passion/confidence in the melody.

I am slo unsure what is the main element: guitar strumming? Keys? Organ? Nothing seems to be holding the rest of the arrangement up, IYKWIM...

Good song, though!
    Guitarhacker
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 15:37:29 (permalink)
    Thanks James.  She has a powerful voice and it did overload the mic on a previous tune.... so I will use the  EQ cut when we redo the vocals. 

Passion/confidence..... we have discussed this and I think she gets it.   I'll have a look at continuity as well. 

I'm glad you like the song. 

BMI/NSAI

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 16:06:01 (permalink)
    No...it sounds avalanche loud. I turned soundclick down to 10/100. Maybe my headphones are running too loud
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 17:17:04 (permalink)
    I can't comment on the mix or recording because I'm confined to listen on laptop speakers :-( I would definitely layer some more vox on this, but I am given to over production... I may opt for a cleaner tone on the guitar solo. 

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 18:22:10 (permalink)
    Nice tune Herb. Too much production to my ears. sounded like everything band in a box has to offer.
    There's no space to let the vocal sit. Work it with drums, bass, acous guit,  and voc and bring in some candy here and there where it needs it.
    I like the song more than the performances. I also agree with Robbie, about the guit solo.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Guitarhacker
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 19:27:33 (permalink)
    Monte.... it's compressed but not like a brick... or even excessively.  I play it on my MP3 player right in line with the other tunes and the volume is about equal on all the tunes I have on it.

Robbie & Tim...... not everything!

Yeah... the solo is just a place holder. We're planning to re-do the vocals and I will be deciding at that point the levels of the other instrument tracks.

There is also some lyric re-writing going on behind the scenes. 

The next edition of this, after the re-writes are done and  the vocals are recorded better, should be a nice improvement.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/10/11 19:32:41

BMI/NSAI

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 20:38:14 (permalink)
    I think the song is really, really good. I'm on my third listen and I don't even like country. I like it live though.

My only comment that you may find useful is there is a lack of dynamics. It just seems to drone on at one volume. Some more dramatic dynamics could be the difference of this being an incredible song as opposed to really, really good, IMHO.

Extremely well done, arranged and performed!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Guitarhacker
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/11 21:36:46 (permalink)
    Thanks GP... dynamics.... got it.  
    Glad you like it.

BMI/NSAI

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 06:41:07 (permalink)
    Herb, I personally like everything you did on this to be honest. It's amazing how everyone hears things so differently. I was listening and reading some of the comments on here and saying "what?! when will someone make a plugin that allows me to hear what they hear...because I'm sure not hearing that!" LOL!

What I do hear though....is a bit of a bright mix that could use some warming up and a bit more bass going on. I like the song, I like the performances, I like the instrument choices, I like the loud volume which remains clean and clear however, something about the limiter or compression....makes the mix sound like it's like this ________________________

Like, there are no breaks in sound until 1:29 when she stops singing. The mix just keeps that constant level without much dynamic change. Looking at the wave form, though it looks good and is a bit squared off, with clean instruments like this...that much limiting is going to make a huge difference. Like if this were rock, you could get away with it. But when you use all this clean beautiful stuff, you definitely have to be careful on the mastering side. I'd definitely lose some of the volume and maybe let up a bit with the limiter. You're not pumping or breathing...it's super clean for how loud it is. But it's just a bit too consistent for this style of music in my opinion. I'm seeing -7dB RMS over here on one editor, and -4dB RMS with an average of -8dB RMS in WaveLab. LMAO!!! But again, it doesn't look bad or sound bad...just a bit too consistent maybe? I surely don't mind loud masters when they are as clear as what you presented here...you did it well. I just think for this style and due to the clean instruments, you may want to consider backing it down just a bit. But over-all, this is great...I'd just take some of the highs out of it, warm it up a bit and let us feel and hear a little more low end. Great job, beautiful song, great mix!

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/10/12 06:42:58

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 08:15:47 (permalink)
    This is good!
    Like some others have mentioned, the low end could be boosted.  That would be my only suggestion, other than to have it playing over the end credits of a romantic film*.

* meant as a compliment 
    post edited by Slugbaby - 2011/10/12 08:19:56

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 08:16:46 (permalink)

Bobby.... yeah...loud is good right? So with so many people saying it's loud, I'm guessing that it is.  I need to write a book... "My secrets to a Loud but clean mix".....

Danny... I had to smile and even chuckle a bit as I read that. Mostly at the humor in it. 
    I will definitely pull the levels back, and seek to impart more dynamic range in the music when I remix this song. 

Great review and thanks for taking the time to look at this tune in several editors. 

Thanks for your comments guys. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. 

BMI/NSAI

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 09:47:07 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Danny... I had to smile and even chuckle a bit as I read that. Mostly at the humor in it. 
    I will definitely pull the levels back, and seek to impart more dynamic range in the music when I remix this song. 

Great review and thanks for taking the time to look at this tune in several editors. 
    You're quite welcome Herb. I always enjoy your work and totally respect what you do on all levels. You never disappoint with your material whether it be something you're messing with that isn't quite done, or something full blown, finished. So that's a good thing...you've won me over. :)

I'm really not so sure it's the mix as far as the dynamic range goes. I'm just curious...when you listen to the pre-master version, do things seem to breathe a little more to you? Like...that consistent line I drew is no longer the case in the pre-master...and can you hear what I mean by "too consistent"? I'm just wondering if the mix without mastering has that same element.

LOL @ your book about loud masters. That's actually not a bad idea...however, if you did something with insane distortion like the more modern stuff, you'd see how much harder it is to get that due to all the sonic crap in the background. LOL! Your stuff is so clean, clear and recorded properly, it's a bit easier (and no, I'm not taking away from your great "loud abilities" lol) to get these types of results with super clean instruments like you have here. Insert a few layered, molten metal madness guitars, and it messes up the mix in a different light. LOL!!

For stuff like that, we have to super comp within the mix so that when you master it, the guitar distortion doesn't whoomf all over the place and trip the limiter...which in turn, caps off how loud the mix can go before it starts to pump out. But with the clean stuff like what you deliver, man...the sky is the "limit" (pun intended lol) because of how well you capture these prints. Not only that, but what really impresses me about your recordings (and you have this consistency with all your stuff that you should be proud of) is the size of your sounds. In your case, size does matter when you deliver it like that. Hahahaha! But seriously...when you can make things big like this sound wise without over-use of widening etc. that really makes a mix shine.

You know CJ from these forums, right? He has a tune in his teaching profile that has this same element. The size of the instrumentation is just off the hook. When someone captures that type of sound, to me it's extremely impressive because that's what the pro's do on major label releases...and you have that quality in all your stuff brother. So keep doing whatever it is you're doing...and if you're happy with things being loud and consistent, it really doesn't matter because your music, performance and your recording quality speaks for itself no matter what you do man....from the heart. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 09:57:42 (permalink)
    I agree with a timidi a little, the vocal actually needs to poke through a little more for me,  more so probably cos the accompaniment is too loud and yea I found that the track was very loud on my laptop and I had been listening to a good few songs before I put it on, so get the backing down and the vocal out a little more.

She has a great voice, sounds heavily compressed.

I enjoyed it a lot (I actually listened to the end!)

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Guitarhacker
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 11:07:54 (permalink)
    Danny & Whack... 

I think the problem with this mix might be my completely unrestrained use of Boost11.... I just upgraded to X1 and it came bundled. So I "had" to use it..... right?  IIRC I'm using it in a few of the tracks and probably the master too.  Heck I might even have 2 in a row in there somewhere.....  

I think, after I record the vocal again, I will pull all of the plugs and compression out, and start mixing from scratch. Back to square one. I probably went overboard with B11 but it was sounding so good..... but yeah... a little restraint is in order... 

I'm liking this song so going back to square one is not a problem. Like the Army used to say in their commercials.... I want it to "Be all that it can be". And that includes having dynamic range in the mix. 

BMI/NSAI

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 11:47:51 (permalink)
    I love the song, performances and arrangement. As for the mix, you seem to have plenty of help here already so I'll be on my way now. Cheers!

String Jammer
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 12:57:21 (permalink)
    Love the song, dislike the mix (on my Adams):

Specific pros: The sweet female vox and the guitar section at 3:00.  A wonderful and magical song worthy of extoling.

Specific cons (to my ears): hypercompression, vox-shrills, and weak bottom end.

Hypercompression forced me to slam the volume down twice: at 3 seconds and 10 seconds thereabouts ... with no inclination to return the volume upward after that ... despite trying.

TBH: There's almost no bottom end (at all).  I can detect no bass transients and minimal kick transients.  It may be that the hypercompressed vox 'unbalanced' the bass-line ... (like my own voxformer hypercompression issues?). 

My insane 2-cent sol'ns:

Like Bob Oister: I'd centralize the vox (and delays), kick, and bass ... and hyper-pan everything else (even the snare) 100% Left and right (per Oister's outlandish L-C-R mixing paradigms).  I've heard the L-C-R paradigm with much country music, and my ears incline!

Later, per Danzi, I'd Danzify the panorama back to your conservative headphone-panorama standards.  Or not!  JMO/IMHO.

Boost11 (also my fav maximizer) I'd keep on the kick and bass only, while allowing their 'attack-transients' 'a bit' more headroom.

After you do this, you'll easily discern those hypercompressed 3.5kHz vox shrills and tame them via your dials.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Guitarhacker
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 13:23:43 (permalink)
    Scotty... thanks for the listen...

Phillip... I always enjoy reading your comments...and trying to figure out exactly what you're talking about. 

Thanks

BMI/NSAI

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 21:57:51 (permalink)
    ( Song is lovable.  I crave much more bass & kick stuff ... and reduced vocal shrill at 3.5-4 kHz ... hope that helps)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:I've been writing again. 2011/10/12 22:20:56 (permalink)
    Hi Herb,
    Solid tune. I always enjoy a country tune. Is this really band in a box? If so, I need to get it – I wouldn’t have known (maybe I misunderstood). The structure is good and it moves along nicely – some dynamics would really bring it to life.

I think the vocal will be super once she just kicks back and just lets it flow. If I have one criticism, it would be the lyrics (in some places) – it sounds a bit too literal – conversation as opposed to poetry/verse.

Good going and I look forward to hearing your final version,
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1