Ivory users + X3 - strange bug

Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2014/05/11 02:17:02 (permalink)

Ivory users + X3 - strange bug

I've only been using X3e for a few weeks. Right away I noticed some sus pedal problems, one of which tech support is working on and has been able to reproduce with Truepianos. But there is another related problem, this one only involves Ivory II and X3e.

I recorded a typical country rhythm at a brisk double time tempo of 237 without using the sus pedal at all. If I back up, set an autopunch, then back up before the autopunch and play along with the recorded piano to get ready for the punch, I get a huge roar of sustain. It seems like some note off messages are being lost. I especially notice the low left hand notes sustaining. Sometimes it's only a low F, other times it's several notes sustaining.

I uploaded an example NOTE OFF IGNORE.cwb and NOTE OFF IGNORE.cwp at this link
https://onedrive.live.com...d=C256E2DAE26B22A5!105

Please download and open either the CWP or the BUN. You may be able to reproduce this bug by opening the CWP file, listening and trying to play along with the piano rhythm or just make your own similar rhythm and try to punch in. The BUN has an audio recording of the horrible sustaining roar and a recording with no roar. I can reproduce this bug every single time I do this. It doesn't matter where I punch in. In fact if you simply play along with the piano without punching in, it does it.

Just to make sure this has nothing to do with a conflict in my install of Win 7, I have an image file for testing purposes that's a clean Win 7 install with all the latest updates including optional ones. I only installed my sound card, midi interface, Ivory II piano and X3. I didn't do any tweaks to Win 7 or X3.

I opened the default normal template and opened Ivory II Yamaha Grand, set the tempo to 237 and played a piano rhythm for 12 bars. Backed up and set the autopunch around bar 9 to the end. I started the song and as soon as I heard the piano I started playing along, so I'd be ready for the punch in. About 3 sec after I start playing I can hear a big roar of sustain, it punches in and eventually the roar dies down.

If I listen back to the track there is no roar recorded. It only happens before the autopunch, but it still lingers on after while the notes decay. Ivory has extremely long piano notes with no looping, so obviously the low notes sustain longer and are more irritating. Keep in mind all this happens without using the sus pedal at all. I tried this first with the DVD install of Ivory 2.0.0.47 and then upgraded to the latest 2.1.2a - same problem.

If I do this with Truepainos there is no sustaining problem. X1 and 8.5 clearly do not have any of these sustaining problems with Ivory.

THis bug is a show stopper for me. I can't use X3 under these conditions. So any Ivory users out there please try this experiment and see if it happens with everyone

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T

3 Replies Related Threads

CBJ
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re: Ivory users + X3 - strange bug 2014/05/11 22:59:26 (permalink)
    I must not be understanding what I'm to listen to. I tried all 4 tracks and recorded alongside with a bass and continued to loop to create new tracks and everything worked fine for 4 takes. I restarted a couple of times from the start and I cannot hear anything that you are referring to. Maybe I don't have the entire issue in hand?
    This is just a suggestion and I could be way off base here but . . .
    Perhaps you could check & see if you have selected  Always Stream Audio Through FX option on. This option will play the tails of everything going through a Reverb and if you stop it before it is finished then re-start the transport the first thing that happens is it tries to flush the audio buffer and you will hear a lot of unrecognizable audio when you first hit play.
    I don't know if this is the problem but I would have a good look at that before I try anything else. I tried to play Ivory as well & had no problems with that plug in. I also played the four files 2 Midi & 2 audio at the same time & there was no notes hanging or artifacts to be heard.
    You might want to check the Midi (buffer setting) for how many milliseconds of pre-buffer (usually 500 milliseconds or 1/2 a second). You are really clipping along at a high speed and should use it below 200 BPS if possible. If you need to get the resolution down try setting it to 1/2 the tempo and then set it to 2/4 timing. This will trick the buffer so it doesn't load up as much data. Also check to see if your Ivory is re-sending the notes back after it has played the sounds. Set your midi filter to only record the notes & the damper pedal. Shut off the after touch and any other things you don't need to record. By doing so you will narrow the input to be recorded.

Check your Audio buffer size & make sure you use ASIO. Try shutting off multiprocessor operation as well because the audio is handled with one core and the next track is handled by the next available core and sometimes that can pose a problem. I had this create sync  issues on one of the PCs that we used in the studio.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

post edited by CBJ - 2014/05/11 23:05:37
    gmp
    Re: Ivory users + X3 - strange bug 2014/05/12 00:45:49 (permalink)
    CBJ
    I must not be understanding what I'm to listen to. I tried all 4 tracks and recorded alongside with a bass and continued to loop to create new tracks and everything worked fine for 4 takes. I restarted a couple of times from the start and I cannot hear anything that you are referring to. Maybe I don't have the entire issue in hand?
    Perhaps you could check & see if you have selected  Always Stream Audio Through FX option on. This option will play the tails of everything going through a Reverb and if you stop it before it is finished then re-start the transport the first thing that happens is it tries to flush the audio buffer and you will hear a lot of unrecognizable audio when you first hit play.
    I don't know if this is the problem but I would have a good look at that before I try anything else. I tried to play Ivory as well & had no problems with that plug in. I also played the four files 2 Midi & 2 audio at the same time & there was no notes hanging or artifacts to be heard.
    You might want to check the Midi (buffer setting) for how many milliseconds of pre-buffer (usually 500 milliseconds or 1/2 a second). You are really clipping along at a high speed and should use it below 200 BPS if possible. If you need to get the resolution down try setting it to 1/2 the tempo and then set it to 2/4 timing. This will trick the buffer so it doesn't load up as much data. Also check to see if your Ivory is re-sending the notes back after it has played the sounds. Set your midi filter to only record the notes & the damper pedal. Shut off the after touch and any other things you don't need to record. By doing so you will narrow the input to be recorded.

Check your Audio buffer size & make sure you use ASIO. Try shutting off multiprocessor operation as well because the audio is handled with one core and the next track is handled by the next available core and sometimes that can pose a problem. I had this create sync  issues on one of the PCs that we used in the studio.

No that's fine, thanks for trying to help me solve this. I'm not using the comping mode, sorry I forgot to mention that. Try changing to the overwrite mode and don't use takes. Basically the issue is this: You don't even have to be in record mode. Just either try to play exactly what I'm playing on piano along with me, so essentially the same notes are hitting pretty much together.

This sort of playing seems to confuse X3 as far as the note offs. I haven't had it do this this bad in other songs when I tried to punchin in other songs. SO it seems that this style of playing makes it worse.

Do you have Ivory II? If so could you try it with the Yamaha "at the C7" patch? I'm not really sure if this makes a difference, but it may.

I'll try the Always Stream Audio Through FX option on. Right now I'm using the X3 default settings.  Midi (buffer setting) default is 250, I have tried 500- no difference. I tried it today at the default 120 tempo, wondering if that would make a difference and it didn't at all.

I'll try setting midi filter to only record the notes & the damper pedal. and shut off the after touch and any other things I don't need to record and see what happens.

The default for Audio buffer size is 256, and I've tried 512 for both record and playback
    & I'm using ASIO. I've never tried shutting off multiprocessor operation. How do I do that? That's certainly worth a try.

I opened the bun and see why you didtn' hear the problem. Track 2 is an audio track named AUDIO PUNCHIN RECORDING.  That clip is muted by accident - sorry. Go ahead and unmute it and listen. What you hear is the first piano starts and then the 2nd piano starts about 1/2 sec later and you can hear it flamming, because it's not in perfect sync. But if you listen closely you can also hear the sustaining low notes in the background. Keep in mind I'm not using the sus pedal. The sustaining notes are coming from lost note off messages.

I'll go ahead and try everything you've said even though some of it I've tried to see if the combination makes it better. I really appreciate all that you've already tried. This problem is maddening.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
    gmp
    Re: Ivory users + X3 - strange bug 2014/05/12 01:28:29 (permalink)
    CBJ

I went ahead and tried everything you said and the problem is still there. This time I tried it in X3 64 bit. I mostly use 32 bit for now.  Always Stream Audio Through FX option is default and it was already checked. I made sure the Midi (buffer setting) and audio buffers were set like you suggested and the tempo was at 120.

I even tried some different Ivory pianos like the Upright, tried turning off release samples. I set the midi filter to only record the notes and nothing else. I didn't use the sus pedal. I then tried playing other simple patterns and then opened the piano staff so I could see what I did and try to play along with the first piano as exact as I could (lots of flams).

No need to even autopunch just play along. Sometimes the sustaining notes in the background are pretty subtle and hard to be sure you're hearing them, but when you get to the end of the pattern this is when you can definitely hear notes sustaining after you've stopped playing the 2nd piano.

Now how can that be? I didn't even use the sus pedal. I opened 8.5 and tried the same thing and sure enough it works perfectly - no sustaining notes in the background and when you get to the end of the pattern and stop playing the 2nd piano part everything stops cold - not a thing sustaining after you stop.

Maybe some of this will help you duplicate it, especially the part when you completely stop and listen to see if anything is sustaining. I'm waiting to hear from you about shutting off multiprocessor operation.

Thanks again,

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1