Izotope Ozone 4 vs Alloy

Author
Jimbo21
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 394
2010/03/26 21:00:37 (permalink)

Izotope Ozone 4 vs Alloy

I'm thinking about getting one of these. I do want to use them for mixing on tracks mainly, so perhaps Alloy would be my choice. From what I've read, some people also use Ozone occasionally on tracks as well. 

Does anyone use both of these? Likes? Dislikes?

Jim

8 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22437
    Re:Izotope Ozone 4 vs Alloy 2010/03/26 21:16:39 (permalink)
    What do you want to do WRT "mixing on tracks" that make you feel either of these plugs is the right choice.

They are both multi-function plugs that perform several different functions, what functionality are you lacking?

Or do you just want to own one of these?
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/03/26 21:21:09

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Jimbo21
    Re:Izotope Ozone 4 vs Alloy 2010/03/26 22:03:33 (permalink)
    Jonbouy

What do you want to do WRT "mixing on tracks" that make you feel either of these plugs is the right choice.

They are both multi-function plugs that perform several different functions, what functionality are you lacking?

Or do you just want to own one of these?

Well, I guess my main reason for asking is I tried the demo of Alloy and liked it quite a lot, especially on bass and drum tracks. I also liked the harmonic exciter module. But I've heard so many good things about Ozone 4( haven't tried the demo) and like the idea of a one plug mastering solution. I don't really want both. From what I've read, Alloy is kind of like a slightly less functional, lighter on CPU plug for tracks instead of mastering. With the price the same, is their any real difference between the two?

For my needs, I'm definitely not skilled enough to know what I'm doing in the mastering realm and just need something user friendly.

I have Sonar Producer 8.5.3 and all the plugs with it and some of the Audiomidi "no brainer deals" and that's about it. I am searching for another flavor or two.

Jim
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22437
    Re:Izotope Ozone 4 vs Alloy 2010/03/26 22:30:57 (permalink)
    Hi Jim

Yes I can see the fun aspect of owning either one to play around with.

From what I've often heard is that Ozone is a pretty much all up limiter, multi-band dynamics, stereo enhancer, aural exciter, eq and is for that likely a good value solution for putting some finish on a track, where as Alloy's functions cover more track based mixing duties.

If you are a Sonar user you already have a good range of stuff already in the box most of the stuff in the Sonitus suite is perfectly up to the task there with an instance of the eq already built into the console strip ready to roll.

I'd would humbly suggest some working with what you have until you at least know what you are lacking and why a particular alternative would be better in your case which you don't at the moment otherwise the question would not have arisen.

To directly answer your question though if it was me I'd plump for Ozone as finding individual alternatives for the suite of tools on offer I would likely have to spend more than Ozone costs.  With Alloy there are many alternative means of getting the same functionality with out being tied to the cpu penalty of having an all in one suite and probably with the functionality I'd use out of that suite I'd likely end up spending less too.

Having said that I don't own either nor do I feel I'm missing out anywhere currently

Of course YMMV, and plenty of folk just like having lots of gear and there's nothing wrong with that.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/03/26 22:37:12

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 11686
    Re:Izotope Ozone 4 vs Alloy 2010/03/26 23:06:23 (permalink)
    alloy is aimed at individual tracks and is less cpu hungry..

ozone is aimed at the final stage 2 channel out..  of course you can use it on busses or single channels.. there is no set rule to stuff and well sometimes you can have happy accidents.

it's not a case of "vs" more a case of them complimenting each other.. bit like me having 2 cars..  a ferrari is no good for carrying shopping.. but a people carrier isn't as quick :)

I use ozone.. a lot more do here.. but learning it and learning what to tweak is the key.

post edited by Fog - 2010/03/26 23:08:59
    Jimbo21
    Re:Izotope Ozone 4 vs Alloy 2010/03/26 23:42:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the opinions fellows.

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6142
    Re:Izotope Ozone 4 vs Alloy 2010/03/30 05:21:11 (permalink)
    I guess PSP Audiowares MixPack would be a great alternative to Alloy.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jimbo21
    Re:Izotope Ozone 4 vs Alloy 2010/03/30 21:30:23 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

I guess PSP Audiowares MixPack would be a great alternative to Alloy.

Thanks Kalle.  I'll check it out.

Jim
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 23381
    Re:Izotope Ozone 4 vs Alloy 2010/03/30 22:03:52 (permalink)
    i use O3 & O4 . I like the results on the master buss.

I have used it on tracks too. It has a nice EQ in it, as well as the other modules... you always have the option to shut the modules off if you don;t need them.  I like to use O3 on the tracks. What I do is start with a preset, and edit it to what I am looking for....then if I really like it, I'll save it with a new preset name.

I deal with the CPU sucking aspect by bouncing the FX to a new track. Having several ozones will run you into the trouble zone pretty quick..... so bouncing is almost a requirement...at least for me.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1