Jade (drum/guitar levels?)

Author
ABeautifulVirus
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 523
2014/08/17 20:50:00 (permalink)

Jade (drum/guitar levels?)

mixing this out for our CD any thoughts on Alan's drums esp in heavy parts - thanks :) 

Alan: drums | Dan: bass | George: SpedheD, percussions, samples, analogue sequencing | Daren: electric and acoustic guitars, vocals, piano, harpsichord, MIDI sequencing

SC Full Version w/ Revolution 9.1 Intro:
https://soundcloud.com/ab...virus/mri-jade-w-intro

YouTube HQ and free download link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVT8WqrZHFo

JADE
© 2013 Music & Lyrics by Daren Thomas Turner / MRI
Behold a dawning sun that withers from a falling sky
Beyond the universe and buried under sands of time
A fleeting glimpse of others born into a world I see as nothing more than early graves and lack of honesty...

Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...

There are things in me that you will never understand
Across a dark abyss without someone to hold my hand
A river Styx is just the first of many deeper streams that flow beneath my soulless body draining out of me...

Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...

All the things you hate and fear
Crawl beneath your skin, my dear

Watch the clock laugh at the minute and the second hand
Every hour wounds: the last will kill you where you stand.
Hell is just an after-thought up in a Dante's view
Behind the 7th level lies the things (you thought) you'd never do...

Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...
Please feel my jade...

Crawl beneath your skin, my dear...

post edited by ABeautifulVirus - 2014/08/20 23:31:11

17 Replies Related Threads

The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/17 21:01:56 (permalink)
    Sounds really good to me man, I like the snap of that snare, and the kick sits nice. Those are the two most important things IMO with the drums. I may actually bring the hats out a little. The guitars sound good too. I'm not a huge fan of the LV and or the processing of them. But my guess is that it's a genra thing which I'm probably not in to vs. the tune. I like the chord changes, and it's pretty cool when it gets heavy (I may pull those heavy guitars back a weence) 

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
    ABeautifulVirus
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/18 13:29:38 (permalink)
    hey thanks Robbie for feedback: snare and kick sitting right being top priority so we're on same page on that- :) 

as for LV, I was asked to remix this for small indie interested - the complaint on the demo was no one could understand lyrics in verses w/ all the harmony layers, so i stripped them all off completely - leaving just the root vocal melody, doubled, one w/ Sennheiser E 815S mic, and other w/ SM57. I put a frequency notch phone filter which hi/low cuts below 1k and above 5k for that far away John Lennon Tomorrow Never Knows 3rds verse megaphone effect- to give the verses a lonely, far away-ish (e.g. "jaded" quality e.g. lyrics) low fi sound… in comparison with lush chorus harmonies that fade in and blend/overpower with the lo-fi lone verse vocal…. hence the reasons for the production/ treatment - so yeah i guess it's a matter of tastes- Dan's (bass) suggestion actually at first to me so I went with it as I liked it/ the mood it sets in terms of a song being an 'emotional journey' etc...
    Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/18 17:57:28 (permalink)
    Still love this song! It sounds different without all the vocal tracks, but it still captures the original feel. I really like how you fade the harmonies in on the last word of the verse going into the chorus. I would like it even more if you started fading them in maybe a half second sooner. I thought that the lead vox could come up just a touch during the verses. It's still just a little hard to understand. The chorus vox are plenty loud though. Mix sounds good overall. Again, love this song. It's got that Jimmy Page open tuning feel with some Jane's Addiction and AIC mixed in, but still completely unique at the same time. Congrats on getting some interest from the Indie label. I hope it works out. You deserve it.
    The Band19
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/18 19:34:29 (permalink)
    He said root 

ABeautifulVirus
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/19 02:25:09 (permalink)
    Leadfoot
    Still love this song! It sounds different without all the vocal tracks, but it still captures the original feel. I really like how you fade the harmonies in on the last word of the verse going into the chorus. I would like it even more if you started fading them in maybe a half second sooner. I thought that the lead vox could come up just a touch during the verses. It's still just a little hard to understand. The chorus vox are plenty loud though. Mix sounds good overall. Again, love this song. It's got that Jimmy Page open tuning feel with some Jane's Addiction and AIC mixed in, but still completely unique at the same time. Congrats on getting some interest from the Indie label. I hope it works out. You deserve it.

nice ^ ;) dude you totally 'get' everything too which impresses me- I just added the trippy Revolution 9.1 intro/outro and tweaked compression levels to bring out crispness better/ i want the lo-fi vocal phone to 'sit' inside AND in-between the two panned guitars, one doing these Pagey arpeggios on left/ and linear lines on right which venture into Locrian modes in the bumpers - kinda envision them as 'bookends' but towering over the lead vocalist in center who is small in comparison sonically speaking... - think this is pretty close now, or closer to not sounding totally horrible ;p

thanks again/ feedback very helpful man - DTT 

Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/19 13:14:24 (permalink)
    Interesting tune. I'm not sure I like it but I like the Beatles influences.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2136
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/19 17:49:33 (permalink)
    Darren, the problem lies on the inside...as long as we know that then everything is going to be ok...but I digress, this song pretty much kept me in the whole way through anD WOW YOU JUST STARTED THE HEAVY DRUMS GUITAR PARTS KICKASS! I like it. - Shawn

THE DRUMS WERE SOLID AND PUNCHY ALL THE WAY THROUGH MAN!

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/19 20:26:31 (permalink)
    ABeautifulVirus

nice ^ ;) dude you totally 'get' everything too which impresses me- I just added the trippy Revolution 9.1 intro/outro and tweaked compression levels to bring out crispness better/ i want the lo-fi vocal phone to 'sit' inside AND in-between the two panned guitars, one doing these Pagey arpeggios on left/ and linear lines on right which venture into Locrian modes in the bumpers - kinda envision them as 'bookends' but towering over the lead vocalist in center who is small in comparison sonically speaking... - think this is pretty close now, or closer to not sounding totally horrible ;p

thanks again/ feedback very helpful man - DTT 

Sounds great man! I like the intro. Good luck with the label bro. I know great things are gonna happen for you.
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/20 02:49:47 (permalink)
    great tune.....the kit sits well in the mix. for my taste the volume difference in the soft part and the kicking part is a bit too drastic.....I'm afraid I'd crank the song up for the first 1/3 so I could make out the vox...then get knocked on my butt (level wise) in the kickin part...I "get" idea to ramp it up...I just think its a bit too forward. I'd also like to hear a bite more bit out of the bass...sounds like a like a killer line but kinda gets lost in the sauce and w/the nice snap of the snare it really takes a back seat.

You have mad skills no question...hope it all pans out for you w/the indie label!

post edited by thepogue - 2014/08/22 06:15:02
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/20 18:42:36 (permalink)
    Yeah, this one has a cool vibe to it.. I like.  Not quite as dark or "odd" as some of your other songs, but still rockin'.

One question: Do you really want everyone to feel your jade?   Just curious.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/20 19:26:52 (permalink)
    I love this song Daren. I think it has potential for a larger audience!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

ABeautifulVirus
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/21 00:01:06 (permalink)
    Starise
    I love this song Daren. I think it has potential for a larger audience!

:) sweet! I'm about to be a dad any day now so I'd just love to maybe sell a copy or two down the road/license etc... (*dreams) ;p praying to the gods of indie rock ;p and A & R's who aren't full of **** (.001%) lol

hey but srsly ty means a lot- there's a free HQ download link off YouTube page too now (off our site) so feel free to grab an MP3 and/or anyone for that matter - u can use a dummy email addy (hint) we don't mind it just sets cookie to access all the downloads ( there are 4 there at present I believe) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVT8WqrZHFo

also whether we get this distribution deal or not I'll send you CD when done in Fall - cheers mate - Daren 
    ABeautifulVirus
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/21 00:05:26 (permalink)
    stevec
    Yeah, this one has a cool vibe to it.. I like.  Not quite as dark or "odd" as some of your other songs, but still rockin'.

HAHA nah if they all did everyone would commit seppuku - should change the worlds to 'please just LISTEN to my jade for 7 minutes' ;p 

on so many takes in chorus i sang 'please feel my balls' just to make myself laugh like an idiot
    The Band19
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/21 01:08:16 (permalink)
    ABeautifulVirus
    stevec

HAHA nah if they all did everyone would commit seppuku - should change the worlds to 'please just LISTEN to my jade for 7 minutes' ;p 

on so many takes in chorus i sang 'please feel my balls' just to make myself laugh like an idiot

I appreciate any response with the word "Rockin" in it...

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/21 06:08:33 (permalink)
    Thanks Daren! I hope the album does well for you guys!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/21 08:53:28 (permalink)
    The Band19
    ABeautifulVirus
    stevec

I appreciate any response with the word "Rockin" in it...

Now... that alternate chorus idea would have really been rockin'.   Just sayin'.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Jade (drum/guitar levels?) 2014/08/21 14:19:42 (permalink)
    Daren, best of luck with this song.  I enjoyed the heck out of this and hope that you have much success!

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1