Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday!

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2008/12/27 20:58:22 (permalink)

Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday!

James Yeomans (Jamesyoyo) just introduced 2 mainstream re-creations of my song: Broken Everyday!

... the song quickly evolved into 2 rather diverse and unique genre-versions: 'Modern' Pop and Trance.

James has suggested to present both of these new versions for your comments. (Some of you listened/commented on my original 'labored' mix) ... I anxiously await your thoughts on these brand-new mainstream mixes (also shorter)

His 1st Pop Version:
"Broken Everyday! Re-mixed by James Yeomans"

His 2nd Trance Version ('House Mix')
"Broken Everyday! TRANCE Version, by James Yeomans"

Please take some time to crit, comment, question, suggest, cite your preferences, etc. Thank you exceedingly for your thoughts on his work.
post edited by Philip - 2008/12/31 11:05:11

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

20 Replies Related Threads

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/27 23:25:25 (permalink)
    Holy cow. Philip. That was quite a departure. I could barely make it through it. All dynamics were washed away in what sounded to me like main stream mediocrity. It seems to have it's soul sucked out of it (but you could dance to it). Sorry...don't know how to say it differently. I wish i had something constructive to say other than i prefered it less 'produced'.
    I'm just too old skool i guess.
    post edited by No How - 2008/12/28 00:37:07

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    M. Man
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/28 10:07:48 (permalink)
    Kinda echo on No Hows comments, but only kinda
    Pop-version; a bit "over the top" regarding the arrangement - to much going on, all over...drums, strings, guitars, piano, horns, "pling plong" etc etc.
    The vox gets burried in the arrangement. A little (read a lot) less of everything (exept vox) would probably solve it.

Trance-version; way cooler , but the same as above - the vox dissapears in the arrangement.
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/28 10:10:07 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Rick. I think that James is very good at what he does, but for me nothing beats the original version of this song.

LATER
    post edited by drumstixkev - 2008/12/28 10:13:24

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Philip
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/28 14:07:21 (permalink)
    All dynamics were washed away in what sounded to me like main stream mediocrity. It seems to have it's soul sucked out of it (but you could dance to it)

Rick--The song is Lamentation 3 (of Jeremiah) almost word-for-word quoted from the Bible ... but made to rhyme.
    1) For it to end up as a trance-dance seems sort of ironic ... who ever danced to a lamentation? Right?
    2) OTOH--The Hebrews of old seemed (to me) extremely loud and flamboyant with their music (e.g., Psalm 150) ... employing about every instrument available, with absolutely no restrictions to the genre of doxologies. For some reason, the Holy Bible seems, perhaps, to be quiet regarding genre. IIRC, many psalms could well have been sung in trance-mode ... depending on their hired singers, the season, generation, etc.
    3) Ironicially, my old-fashioned oriental wife danced (immediately) to the "soul-sucked" trance version. She stated that "many persons can't get into songs that are too ocean-deep all the time.

Pop-version; a bit "over the top" regarding the arrangement - to much going on, all over...drums, strings, guitars, piano, horns, "pling plong" etc etc.
    The vox gets burried in the arrangement. A little (read a lot) less of everything (exept vox) would probably solve it.

Trance-version; way cooler , but the same as above - the vox dissapears in the arrangement.

M. Man -- I'm almost certain James would be interested in this comment.
    In the Trance version, the trance elements are dominant and the voxes are secondary ... reverbed back. To me the club-mix has much-inspired octane up-and-front ... the voxes seem discernable (to my ears) and form counterpoint melodies to the house-mix. Should the listener home-in, he/she can dig-out the vox-treasures.

Kevin -- Thanks so much for your listen and crit. I heard the Trance version 2.5 times before I fell in love with it. Its DIFFERENT, yes ... but excellent to my ears.

Note, I just recently received these 2 mixes.
    There are vox enhancement in the Pop version that I failed to capture in my version. (Both of James' versions rapture me on several levels.)
    post edited by Philip - 2008/12/28 16:38:05

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

No How
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/28 14:51:03 (permalink)
    OK...I see you are right on in the spirit in which this endeavor is taking place. The Hebrews of old would indeed do a trance version. I am revisiting and will continue to see if i'm just too over the hill to hear fresh. If the Mrs. likes than that is KEY...(at least for me).

s o n g s

Philip
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/28 16:33:37 (permalink)
    Rick -- I'm pretty over-the-hill, but I don't think the Hebrews-of-old cared much for gospel-quartets, piano-hymnals, cathedral-organs, blue-grass genre and/or our guitars and electronica. But I was pleasantly *shocked* when my wife came in dancing to the trance ... loving every minute of it.

Philip  

Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/28 20:06:32 (permalink)
    I guess I'd like to hear the vocals a little more up front too. The trance version was pretty cool too. :-)
    Philip
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/29 09:15:31 (permalink)
    Thanks much Janet for your listen, time, and (2nd) crit(s). I agree that the Pop version needs vocals a bit less ambiant and/or sculpted up-front a dcb.

Philip  

jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/29 10:06:05 (permalink)
    Interesting experiment Philip & James! Of the two I preferred the 'trance' version (too much frantic bass & drums in the 'pop' version for me)

Pro-sounding mixes on both for sure. Not entirely convinced either of the treatments really suit the song, but a cool idea nonetheless.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/29 13:00:20 (permalink)
    ditto, and it's always interesting to hear someone else's take on your ideas.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    No How
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/29 13:18:00 (permalink)
    Philip,
    I gave i a go around. My take is not in the popular domain. My hat goes off to you and James for the venture and spirit of daring, but it's a remarkable song that doesn't need to be trendy or dressed up...it was already out there on it's own merits apart from trance dancing...IMO I am certain a lot of the harmonic brilliance is lost in the repetitiveness of the trance. A huge spectrum of sonic color has been funneled into something narrow and grey. There is a unique child-like quality your music carries that is entirely lost in these mixes.

For me it's about being more than 'interesting'. It's not about taking something good and making it less so. Interesting is great. I love interesting but not at the expense of beauty. No more rant...time for my meds

Your sig would apply here.
    post edited by No How - 2008/12/29 15:11:05

s o n g s

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/30 00:17:24 (permalink)
    Sheesh. Tough crowd. I knew touching any of Philip's masterpieces would earn some harsh reviews.
    As I have commented to Philip in the past, he occupies his own musical orbit. But rather than remixing this (as as my original intention), the Muse led me down this re-imagining path.
    The much-maligned Pop version (though not done by any stretch) was trying to find some more simple elements that folks could easier relate to, all the while trying to keep many of Philip's extravagant flourishes. If it sounds busy, that is why (never mind that I cut out about 4 different instruments, but no matter).

As for the "tortuous" trance beat, that happy accident came about due to trying to find an appropriate patch on the Pop version. In reality, there is nothing but vocals and midi drum patterns from Phil's original. To me there was something cool about that style of music juxtaposed against those voices, though I really didn't get it myself at first. So I left it there. But something kept drawing me back to it. In reality I don't think I spent three hours in total fooling around with it.

Well, c'est la vie.
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/30 00:20:33 (permalink)
    who knows, who cares, for me? c'est la vie...

Just so everyone knows, that's an ELP reference?
    post edited by robby - 2008/12/30 00:31:44

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Philip
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/30 11:31:49 (permalink)
    Interesting experiment Philip & James! Of the two I preferred the 'trance' version (too much frantic bass & drums in the 'pop' version for me)

Pro-sounding mixes on both for sure. Not entirely convinced either of the treatments really suit the song, but a cool idea nonetheless.

James G (Acrobats' Supper) -- Thanks for your listen and crit; you may have been more inclined to listen, knowing that James Yoyo touched this?
    To me, Trance version has a northern USA appeal (Chicago, NY, etc.) or high-paced cities of the U.K. ... a fast-paced no-b.s. environment. Also, Trance seems to me something few of us pioneered upon, especially with lamentation-genre music, non-addictive per se. Trance, though not always immediately addictive, 'gets me going' ... 'keeps me awake', etc. ... more than my old-school mixes.

I am certain a lot of the harmonic brilliance is lost in the repetitiveness of the trance. A huge spectrum of sonic color has been funneled into something narrow and grey. There is a unique child-like quality your music carries that is entirely lost in these mixes.
    Rick -- I seriously appreciate your return to this ... your penetrating crit is irresistable, to me.
    The child voxes seem somewhat of an inspired gimmick or an embellishment at least. Magical child-falsetto many Rock-stars, Yes, Supertramp, etc. emulate. I seriously wonder if Supertramp would have better succeeded had little Michael Jackson sung the lead.Singular child voxes add serious upper harmonics, presence, and emotive excellencies that vox-EQ-compressors fail to achieve. I'm absolutely shocked that we don't all grab our children and invoke them to sing. Interestingly, a child's shrilly vox may be good for 7-10 years.
    Music treads on deep, often, holy ground. I'm certain you, James Yoyo, Robby, and others, are aware of the sub-conscious yet forcible effects scriptural and/or satanic music invokes on persons. I rarely flip on a TV without music propaganda (usually its earthy or materialistic)

Robby -- An ELP reference? You've been around the block!

James Yoyo -- Caleb (my 18y/o classicalist (idiot?!)) predicts you will make yet a 3rd version of Broken Everyday. I've already stated, I'm astounded and overly-inspired with both of your mixes, as is.

(There do remain minor melodic masking issues in a couple initial verses of your Pop-version). The half has not been told!

Here's a recap:
    Jim,

'Listened again today. I really really love this; I couldn't have imagined a better way to mainstream this than what you did ... from start to end. Some of the incredible things I've perceived:

-- The up-tempo (dancing and lively ... albeit same 120 BPM) ... I had hoped at least the 2nd half would be lively; you got the whole thing lively!
    -- The "Everyday" hook during start; I had pondered if/how to merge the 2 songs as one.
    -- Taming the 'radio' lamentation towards the end was a great decision (it was a bit harsh in my version)
    -- 2:20 interlude vox -- a serious JamesYoyo hook (which I initially and desperately hoped for)
    -- Digging out the complex melodies and emphasizing them with grandeur ... especially the piano: C --> Em thing.
    -- Enhancing the string melody during the 3:48 bridge-rest.
    -- Discarding the awkward 3rd chorus and discarding the superfluous finale
    -- Exotic and catchy beats with the drums
    -- *chyme* embellishments
    -- You've enhanced the essence and musicality per se.
    -- Its actually become a more-Philip-than-Philip piece, even with the Latin additions, IMO.

To me, this truly is an astonishing force you've unleashed. I'm exceedingly proud of this. Thank-you!
    --Philip

Philip  

Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/30 13:19:28 (permalink)
    OK
    I do not think that I am going to comment on these two versions except to say that I've listened........I am amazed at how you can get two completly different styles out of a just one mix.... I guess it is like making a cake......recipie and baking are the same..........decoration is all up to the decorator............but I have to say that these are really individual

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    Philip
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/31 10:45:06 (permalink)
    Cliff -- Thank you for listening. I, too, am amazed on the the 2 styles going on (if you include my original(s), there are 3 basic styles/genres)

My own genre(s) and style(s) ... are extremely limited in scope. I've heard eclectic styles that combine genres ... many I love immensely ... ELO/Jeff Lynne for example (light-orchestra + pop-rock), Rap + pop-R&B, etc.

Eclectic genres are usually awesome to my ears.

Philip  

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2008/12/31 19:43:03 (permalink)
    I liked both versions as well as the original.

There's enough creativity in the original idea and in both treatments and the overall impression of the whole project underlines why I love this forum so much.

Basically the diversity of everyone's individual talents and spirit of creative adventure always inspires me to have a go at something else and is fundamental to why this place rocks my world.

Great collab.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Philip
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2009/01/01 11:23:16 (permalink)
    Thanks Jon for your multi-listens and thoughts.

I know you've done collabs with astonishing artists, and understand 'that new up-beat sound' is oft what you're collab-musician(s) gave you (or me in this case). I learn more from my forum friends than anyone else.

Song-writers are all mysterious and beautiful. These are some of the deepest waters I've been in. Oft bizarre music becomes fixed into the mainstream, and vice-versa. I hear awesome songs by ALL the faithful members here of late.

Philip  

Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2009/01/01 23:11:11 (permalink)
    Hi Philip and James,

The trance works somewhat (to my ears), but the Pop version doesn't do it for me at all. I have to admit that I liked the original version best of all.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

Philip
    RE: Jamesyoyo Re-Creates: Broken Everyday! 2009/01/02 14:16:58 (permalink)
    Doug -- Very well. FWIW, I personally like Jame's versions better than mine for radio play and mainstream ... and will integrate much of his labors into my original. Thank you very much for listening.
    To recap, Jame's edits, the 2nd half of the pop version (2:20+) and his singing is a must for my *final* prints.
    I await your next piece.

Philip  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1