Jamstix anyone????

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Agentcalm
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
2013/06/29 12:07:51 (permalink)

Jamstix anyone????

I've just heard of this Jamsitx and downloaded the demo version.  eh...how do i use this? I cant seem to find any exe or such that runs the program.  do i open it through Sonar?
sorry for the daft question but i have no idea how this works.
Appreciate yer tips y'all 

Southern kin y'all 

34 Replies Related Threads

Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/06/29 12:12:40 (permalink)
    What do you mean? You can't find the installation files or you've installed it and can't find the program itself?

If it's the former open your download folder in windows and should be in there. If it's the latter... IDK. I'd assume the demo should be standalone but maybe it's a VST only. In which case you have to do a VST scan of the folder it's in and then insert it into a project.
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/06/29 12:18:37 (permalink)
    Beepster has it- no standalone though. Should be both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Shoud install and run as a soft synth in SONAR.
    Jamstix is awesome.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    Beepster
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/06/29 12:25:07 (permalink)
    Ah, there you go. I've never used it. Be sure to install the correct version (32 or 64) and use Right Click > Run As Administrator. Make note of the installation path the program uses (write it down if you have to) then go to the VST scanner section of the Edit > Preferences menu in Sonar, add the folder to the scanner and run the scan. You may not have to do this if it installs somewhere Cakewalk already scans so check first. In the Sonar Plug In Browser it'll probably show up under Synths or VSTs. Just dig around a bit. If not try restarting Sonar and check again.

I've never used Jamstix. Seems a lot of people like it though.
    joden
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1263
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/06/29 14:49:36 (permalink)
    And, also remember to actually get it to "run" you need to press  PLAY in Sonar. JS gets its tempos and timings as well as start/stop from the hosts engine.
    royarn
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 427
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/06/29 15:23:44 (permalink)
    Its also a virtual instrument to use in sonar, but its quite tricky 'to use but really nice drums and drummers.

Roy

INTEL HASWELL Core i5 4670K Z87-K MB, 16 gig DDR3 ram, 250 gig ssd 1 x 250 gig 1 x 1TB sata 2 drives,Faderport 1, Motif ES 6, Focusrite 8i6. Windows 10 64 bit. Sonar Platinum Lifetime Updates.CbB .
    joden
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1263
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/06/29 15:58:34 (permalink)
    Yeah plus one there Roy :)  I bought the XL pack and it has some pretty smooth kits. Plus JS also allows you to load in kits from BFD, EzyDrummer et al, if the JS kits are not enough for you.

I really enjoy setting it to MIDI jam, and then adjusting the dynamics to a tad more sensitive, and then if I play softer on the the keyboard the "drummer" follows. IN some cases the A.I. is freaky!  Even to the point of in some kits, the drum brain drops to soft brush taps from sticks in quieter passages, and then ramps to full snare hits on louder parts.

It is one REALLY cool bit of kit for sure :)
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/06/29 23:00:04 (permalink)
    Jamstix can be a midi engine that feeds midi (using enable midi out) to any other drum synth (BFD, Ezdrummer, SD3, etc.)  This is its best use as the included kits are in quality terms not that great.  Jamstix used to host other drum synths, but that is no longer supported in version 3.5.  The included drum kits in JS3 are very good for scratch tracks and quickly building a song and during pre-production, but eventually you will want a better sounding drum kit.  And in order to use other drums synths you will need to use 'enable midi out'  which since Sonar 7 has been very buggy and unreliable if you have other synths that have enable midi out activated.  Sonar is not able to keep the channels separate and very frustrating and very unpredictable results often ensue.  

That is why I eventually record (print) a midi track once I am happy with the drum track so I can turn vsti enable midi out off.

All that aside, Jamstix is the best way i know to quickly build great midi drum tracks with out having to use any Sonar midi editing.  There is nothing like it on the market that I know of.   Song builder is very cool....pick the drummer, the style, the song structure, hit play in Sonar and off you go.

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/06/30 08:52:13 (permalink)
    Follow the install instructions and it will install just fine. There is no EXE in it but there is a DLL since it is not a standalone synth. It's designed to run as a VST in a DAW.

It has a learning curve since it is quite an amazing little piece of software.  I have had it for quite some time.

Here is a song where I use it:  http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11198785

I like it because it creates it's own parts with so many variables..... the drummers all have different personalities and drumming habits, there are a bunch of styles that you can apply to each of the drummers, and then there are the many kits that they can play.

Once JS creates the song, you can change and edit anything.... even down to the tuning or damping of a certain drum head in a kit. Everything is saveable as well.

As a non-drummer, I was so bored with the parts I was creating and JS was the answer to a prayer.... Set it up and press go. Waaa Laaa, a drum track !!!

If you decide to buy it, the Jamstix forums and support are top notch.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Agentcalm
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 257
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/06/30 18:22:29 (permalink)
    Hey folks.  Thanks to all for the replies and the tips.  Will probably buy the full working model but im quite new to midi n stuff and am not a drummer.  So i was really hoping to play around with the demo version first.  I'll try add it in as a soft synth as suggested up above.  Thanks guys. 

Southern kin y'all 
    petec
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 05:45:44 (permalink)
    Brando
    ...Jamstix is awesome.

+1  A wonderful piece of software with a gazzillion parameters to twiddle. Results are excellent. You may need time to explore its possibilities.
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 06:06:24 (permalink)
    More glowing recomendations of Jamstix, so I am wondering, how well does it handle odd time signatures like 5/4 or 7/8 or even odder stuff like 11/8?

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    hellogoodbye
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1343
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 07:00:06 (permalink)
    Funny, saturday I was looking at Jamstix again, considering to give it another go. I own version 1 and 2 but somehow stopped using it at a certain moment... Might have been when I got EZDrummer. Jamstix was nice and all but a bit hard to control. Version 3 seemed to improve on that and 3.5 even more, with the easier to use song structure setup and various other additions, but somehow I couldn't get myself to upgrade. Maybe also because the GUI is so awful... But lately I've been longing for some more diverse and realistic drum tracks. I can get a long way with EZD and then editing the MIDI but it's still a lot of work and things still don't sound as 'random realistic' as I'd like to. So that's why I thought about Jamstix again. The upgrade is very cheap so I might as well get it right away. Well, as soon as I have Sonar X2 working on my PC...

It sure is a one of a kind plugin! 

Sonar 8.5 PE, Edirol FA-66, Behringer C-1. All instruments in my songs are VSTi's. 
    Check out Soundclick
    Guitarhacker
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 07:54:35 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes
    More glowing recomendations of Jamstix, so I am wondering, how well does it handle odd time signatures like 5/4 or 7/8 or even odder stuff like 11/8?

I have never played with the "non-normal" time sigs..... but that would certainly be a question to ask in the JS forums....

BMI/NSAI

hellogoodbye
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 08:45:34 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes

From the manual:

Jamstix is one of the few virtual drummers capable of composing in odd or unusual time
    signatures! Here are all supported signatures:
    x/4 with x=1,2,3,4,5,6,7
    x/8 with x=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14

BTW You can get the manual here: jamstix3_manual.pdf

Sonar 8.5 PE, Edirol FA-66, Behringer C-1. All instruments in my songs are VSTi's. 
    Check out Soundclick
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 09:14:23 (permalink)
    hellogoodbye

From the manual:

Jamstix is one of the few virtual drummers capable of composing in odd or unusual time
    signatures! Here are all supported signatures:
    x/4 with x=1,2,3,4,5,6,7
    x/8 with x=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14

BTW You can get the manual here: jamstix3_manual.pdf

Thanks, I downloaded the manual, it looks like you can handle time signature changes too. Intresting.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Beepster
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 10:47:54 (permalink)
    I was just looking at some vids on youtube.  Pretty cool but I think I'd rather keep writing my own parts in PRV (I used to play drums so it's a little easier for me to put together drum parts than non drummers).

I am curious though...

How does it output to the host? Like a multi timbral synth? Stereo track? Audio tracks for each kit piece? MIDI track? I'm just confused because the patterns are generated right in the program instead of coming from the host, into the synth and back out again and I didn't see an out put mixer like in BFD for routing.

Oh... and can you load samples from third party companies or are you stuck with what is included? Do they offer expansion packs?

Lots of questions I know but I am indeed curious. It's the type of thing I might recommend to friends wanting to make music but can't write drum parts.
    hellogoodbye
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 12:38:13 (permalink)
    It sends out MIDI. You can let that MIDI trigger sounds from Jamstix itself (they also have expansion packs) but also sounds from EZDrummer or whatever drum plugin you have. Or both. Or a few at once.

The nice thing (at least that was how I used it) is that you can tell the drummer what pattern to play (load one or create one) and then you can let him have a go at it himself. You can tell him when to do a fill, when to go all out or when to go a bit more silent, and the drummer will do all that, in his own style (you have a list of drummers you can put behind the kit and they all have there own way of doing things). All of this is humanized and there even is limb control, so you won't hear more then 4 hits at once (2 feet, 2 arms) and you even can have the program take into account the time it takes to move the hand from the hihat to the ride cymbal! (You can also place each piece in the kit manually making it harder or easier for the drummer to hit a certain drum or cymbal.)

All in all this results in pretty realistic drumtracks which are a lot better then what you get out of the box with for instance EZDrummer. It's just such a shame the interface is a bit er... ugly and not up to date.

Check out Soundclick
    Beepster
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 12:45:48 (permalink)
    Huh... if I'm following you it basically just replaces the PRV, Step Sequencer or a piece of hardware as the MIDI performance source so I could point it towards BFD, right? Now that IS pretty cool.

hmm... but does that mean that whatever Jamstix plays would show up as a MIDI clip that can be altered in the PRV? That would be even cooler. Thanks for the info.
    auto_da_fe
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 13:44:19 (permalink)
    You can record the midi out of Jamstix and get a single midi track with all your favorite midi notes in PRV.

NOTE - in order to point this midi source at a drum synth (BFD etc.) you need to use vsti enable midi out.  I you have another vsti using enable midi out in the same project, be prepared for a major Sonar bug.

Also, jamstix includes midi out mapping for ezdrummer, BFD, battery, and lots more.

jeff

Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    Guitarhacker
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 15:15:14 (permalink)
    I use it in single track mode but I know it will send multi-channels out for those who like to delve deep into the drums.

Another cool feature was touched on briefly above.... it can use the kits and sounds from MANY of the other drum packages on the market and it even uses the stuff from Native Instrument's Battery.

BMI/NSAI

Beepster
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/01 16:16:37 (permalink)
    hmm... if I am understanding this all correctly it might actually be useful to me after all. For a lot of my stuff I like to have the drums tight and constrained to what's going on (think prog or metal) and I prefer my BFD samples. However if I can get it to use BFD and get a MIDI clip that I can edit if need be it might save me a ton of time for some of the blues, jazz and country ideas I have where I'm not quite as familiar with the drumming techniques and might want a more free style drum track. It might also be a good way to learn about how to play and/or program those styles.

Good thread. Glad this came up. Can't afford anything right now but it may go on the "list". Cheers.
    Guitarhacker
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/02 08:47:51 (permalink)
    Beepster
    hmm... if I am understanding this all correctly it might actually be useful to me after all. For a lot of my stuff I like to have the drums tight and constrained to what's going on (think prog or metal) and I prefer my BFD samples. However if I can get it to use BFD and get a MIDI clip that I can edit if need be it might save me a ton of time for some of the blues, jazz and country ideas I have where I'm not quite as familiar with the drumming techniques and might want a more free style drum track. It might also be a good way to learn about how to play and/or program those styles.

Good thread. Glad this came up. Can't afford anything right now but it may go on the "list". Cheers.

You're in luck

High Quality Sounds
    • built-in high-quality drum sample player with multiple velocity layers and controllable ambience.
    • alternate samples remove machine-gun effect by varying sounds at the same velocity.
    • sophisticated layering creates realistic sound accumulations based on drum types.
    • 8 stereo outputs and an extensive sound library (1.3GB) that can be expanded via expansion Paks.
    Integrates With Other Sound Modules
    • Flexible key mapping and MIDI output allows 'driving' any VSTi drum plugin, such as BFD™, Superior Drummer™, EZDrummer™ and Addictive Drums™. Combine the sounds of your favorite drum plugin with the jam power and realism of Jamstix!
    • allows creating kits that use a mix of external sounds and Jamstix sounds! For example, you can build a kit that uses EZDrummer™ drums and Jamstix percussion sounds and cymbals.
    http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix3.html

BMI/NSAI

auto_da_fe
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/02 08:54:10 (permalink)
    Just to further this along, I have built track templates that have Jamstix triggering Battery or BFD or EZDrummer or SD3.  Each one has 8 audio tracks out ((ie) Snare, Kick, HH, overhead, room, etc.) to various master drum busses.

Very cool, just pick the track template and I am off and running.  Named them all something that makes sense to me, so I know where to use which track template.

Then it is just a matter of picking the Style, drummer, etc in Jamstix.  You can also import midi drum clips from groove monkee, EZdrummer, etc and then Jamstix will use that basic beat and build fills etc according to the song structure you choose and the drummer you choose.   

It is really pretty cool.  

Win 10 64 
    hellogoodbye
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/02 10:21:27 (permalink)
    auto_da_fe
    You can also import midi drum clips from groove monkee, EZdrummer, etc and then Jamstix will use that basic beat and build fills etc according to the song structure you choose and the drummer you choose.   

Nice! When I was using Jamstix (1 and 2) I didn't have EZDrummer yet: does Jamstix come with ready to use setups for this or do you have to create all outputs and connections and what not yourself? 

I think it's time to get the upgrade! I got Sonar X2 Producer up and running since yesterday and it's always nice to add even more new nice plugins. ;)

Check out Soundclick
    Beepster
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/02 10:27:14 (permalink)
    Thanks, guys. Looking at their products the main program with the AI expansion would probably the best fit for me. Anyone got an opinion on how well just the base program handles blues, country and jazz? The metal and rock stuff I can program myself.
    auto_da_fe
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/02 16:24:36 (permalink)
    Jamstix has ready built output setups  (midi maps) for EZ-drummer, BFD2, Superior Drummer, Battery.  (and GM seems to work with SD3) 

EZ drummer option, as an example has selections for cocktail, Pop, Rock, jazz most of the popular kits.  I recently bought Americana and the Jamstix Jazz and Pop kit mapping seems to work fine.  BFD options also allow you to pick some of the standard BFD2 set ups.

You set the audio mixer outputs how you like them in EZdrummer  (or BFD2).  ( and save as a track template....hint)

I am lazy, Jamstix is good for lazy artists who do not have a drummer at their disposal.

Win 10 64 
    Guitarhacker
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/03 08:28:54 (permalink)
    Beepster
    Thanks, guys. Looking at their products the main program with the AI expansion would probably the best fit for me. Anyone got an opinion on how well just the base program handles blues, country and jazz? The metal and rock stuff I can program myself.

JS has country styles in it. So pick one and the drummer you selected will play the style with his particular habits..... this can prove to be rather interesting at times. Choose the default drummer.... "Charlie"?... and you get a pretty basic country groove without a whole lot of theatrics.  Choose "John" and it gets interesting. Still country, but with a twist.

Same deal on Jazz.... plenty of styles there to choose from.  Mix and match with the drummers.

Also, changing the POWER Knob level affects the players too. Call it the "Aggression" knob to be a bit more accurate.

BMI/NSAI

hellogoodbye
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/03 08:52:26 (permalink)
    This is a simple demo I made way back in 2007 with Jamstix 1. I don't remember if I entered a basic pattern myself or if I simply told Carter (a jazzy drummer) to do his thing, but I do remember that 1. I really didn't do anything to create this drumtrack, 2. that it would be utter hell (if not impossible) to create this manually in the piano roll view and 3. that it sounds quite convincing (for this kind of style).

EDIT (Link didn't work too well: here is a link  to the page where the tune is:)

http://www.soundclick.com...796&songID=5714067

Anyway, it's a nice example of what Jamstic can do on its own. 

EDIT 2
    Another example: in this song I did enter patterns myself but let Jamstix do its thing here and there. Specially during the end, somewhere around 3:13, where the drummer goes all wild: I simply told Jamstix to go wild and off he went.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=459796&songID=6450915

post edited by hellogoodbye - 2013/07/03 08:59:44

Check out Soundclick
    royarn
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 427
    Re: Jamstix anyone???? 2013/07/03 09:06:24 (permalink)
    You can also add a midi file of your own and select a drummer to give it his interpretation and you can adjust the complexity and come up with new feel based on your pattern.

Roy

INTEL HASWELL Core i5 4670K Z87-K MB, 16 gig DDR3 ram, 250 gig ssd 1 x 250 gig 1 x 1TB sata 2 drives,Faderport 1, Motif ES 6, Focusrite 8i6. Windows 10 64 bit. Sonar Platinum Lifetime Updates.CbB .
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1