Jamstix

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
tombuur
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 611
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/27 19:11:14 (permalink)
Yes, to be honest I mainly want simple drum patterns. So I pull down the sliders to keep Jamstix from making it too complex. Just some timing variation and varied fills at the end of verses, that sort of thing. It's just easier filling out the patterns, listening to the results and maybe change the placement of a kick beat a little. When I have a song, I know roughly where I want kick and snare, but scanning files to find the suitable ones takes too long.
urock
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 501
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/27 19:54:01 (permalink)
I've also been on the verge of getting Jamstix several times. Like everyone else, I really could use a good drum sequencing solution.

It may be my imagination or I'm listening "too hard" but when listening to the demos, they sometimes feel a little stiff/robotic (in comparison to other software drum solutions). Maybe its from playing with a real drummer for so many years but there is something small that just doesn't sound quite right to me. Once again, it may be my imagination.

Best,

urock
post edited by urock - 2005/12/27 19:56:31
martinlemonkiss
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/29 18:33:22 (permalink)
I'd just like to add finally to this thread that i have downloaded the full version of Jamstix and i have to say it's money well spent i can allready see so many ways i could use it..in terms of song writing and recording....once you play around with it and get it too how you like it's about the best drum software / sounds i've come across...i like the way you can jam along..then add some fills to your jam..then you can import into sonar piano roll and finr tune if you like....for the price of the software i would recommend..plus the brush drum kit is very good
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/29 18:38:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: martinlemonkiss

I'd just like to add finally to this thread that i have downloaded the full version of Jamstix and i have to say it's money well spent i can allready see so many ways i could use it..in terms of song writing and recording....once you play around with it and get it too how you like it's about the best drum software / sounds i've come across...i like the way you can jam along..then add some fills to your jam..then you can import into sonar piano roll and finr tune if you like....for the price of the software i would recommend..plus the brush drum kit is very good

Would you post a tune as soon as you feel you've accomplished a good drum track. I wanted to buy it but I haven't heard a single Jamstix produced drum track that I thought approached what I've heard produced by audio or midi clips.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Dave Modisette
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/29 18:43:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: urock

I've also been on the verge of getting Jamstix several times. Like everyone else, I really could use a good drum sequencing solution.

It may be my imagination or I'm listening "too hard" but when listening to the demos, they sometimes feel a little stiff/robotic (in comparison to other software drum solutions). Maybe its from playing with a real drummer for so many years but there is something small that just doesn't sound quite right to me. Once again, it may be my imagination.

Best,

urock
It's not your imagination. The tracks are either sterile or they sound like the drummer is about to overdose on speed. I really want to hear a good track produced by this program. I don't know if it's just inexperience of the users that have posted tracks or the software can't produce what I'm hoping for. I'd hate to blow a hundred bucks on a dog that won't hunt.

I'm now looking at Drumcore but it's not an auto drummer. It's got what looks like a nice librarian.
post edited by Mod Bod - 2005/12/29 18:46:19

My music.
martinlemonkiss
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/29 18:44:11 (permalink)
Yep will def post some stuff soon..as a non drummer can't promise it will be spell binding...but it sounds good to me
Steve Mac
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 730
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/30 13:01:29 (permalink)
Yep will def post some stuff soon..as a non drummer can't promise it will be spell binding...but it sounds good to me

From reading posts over the years, it seems many of us are the same kind of "non-drummers," so spell-binding or not, it will be interesting to hear.

Steve McNamara ~~ SignatureTunes Studios~~SoundClick

DigiBiu
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1053
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/30 13:36:54 (permalink)
OK guys,

I purchased Jamstix yesterday, tried it last night for about 3 hours, and FWIW, heres my anylsis:

Installation is easy, but you must install sound in same folder as software, DLL can be in vst folder, but everything else has to be in the Jamstix folder or you won't get any sounds out of it.

Included samples are good, but not excellent-I prefer sing jamstix to trigger DFHS, it even has mappings included for DFHS, and also BFD

Jam mode works fine for someone who doesnt know drums, licks, accents etc. It provides you a click track(drumstick click) and a pleasant female voice on first beat. You set up another synth to play and midi echo the synth and the midi track of Jamstix (which by the way is inserted as a soft synth itself) If you pre-program a tempo change into an existing midi file, it will follow it. When you play soft, it has a slider to set up the threshold of when it should change dynamics, it switches to a sidestick and plays a very simple beat along with you, instantly. As soon as you play a louder passage, it instantly switches back to snare.

It comes with many styles and beats, fills, intros, and endings, all of which have to be inserted into the midi file accordingle through the arranger.

You can also use it as a drum machine and program everything yourself, but as before stated, the sounds, in my opinion are just average. I listened to some user demos of the add-on kits, and those sounds are much better.

I spent about 10 minutes setting of a midi file in arranger mode, played it through DFHS, let it play along with a song I had previously created, and was very impressed with the results. I decided to change the fills it inserted with other fills, you have many to choose from, and the final product was much better than the drum track I had created, which took me 25 minutes to produce myself.

Jamstix gives you control of everything. You can control complexity, it even has a funkiness slider. You can control dynamics, cymbal use, frequency of fills, and a slider to controls the "human" element of the beats it creates.

In my opnion, its well worth the money, just in the time it saves me by not having to make drumtracks myself. In most cases, the demos of Sonar users music created and posted in this forum would benefit from the use of Jamstix. I wouldnt use it on a multimillion dollar project, but for the stuff I record and distribute, with a little tweaking, you get very usable results.

Again, this is just my humble opinion.

Digi

http://digitalbayoustudios.com/
https://soundcloud.com/digibiu
David Stuckey
Sonar X3 Producer ,Windows 7 64bit ,6G Ram, Quad Core 2.6,3 1 UAD 2 card, 4 UAD-1 Cards, 2 Dell 24" LCD, ADAM ANF10, Avantones, Crown Power Amp, Great River ME-1, UA Solo/610, Distressor,Presonus ADL600,, RNC, RNLA, 2 PBC-6a, JoeMeek MC2, ART Pro Channel, Yamaha MO8,Korg Triton,M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, Custom Shop Fender Twin, 76 Randall Tube Amp, Custom Blue Runner Tube Amp,
Lynx Aurora 8 FW
Apogee AD8000 SE
MixedLogic M24 Control Surface
Yamaha Pro Mix 01
RLD
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1990
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/30 19:27:09 (permalink)
Just thought I'd check back on this post...
If this program is so easy to use and the results are so good,
there must be one of you users who can post a link to a song you have created with Jamstix...

COME ON...

RLD
jimack
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1814
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/31 12:59:08 (permalink)
I just bought Jamstix while it was still on special. After fooling around with it for a few hours, I'm quite happy with my purchase.

I will not post any tracks because of my limited abilities with all this stuff. I'm a hobbiest, not a pro.

But here's my take on why you would want Jamstix. It's basically an instant drummer. If you like to play guitars and keyboards like myself, and don't have a real drummer, you switch to Jamstix. It does a great job. It totally blows away session drummer both in sound and in realism.
I don't believe you would want to use Jamstix for serious piece of work destined for production, but as an 'instant drummer' it's fabulous. Easy to learn, very flexible and the price is very, very fair.

I can tell after a few short hours of using it that Jamstix will get a lot of use in this house.

Also, if you check out the forums at Rayzoon.com, you'll find a company that is extremely responsive to it's customers. I think these folks have done a brilliant job.

I have been putting down tracks for Dreams by Fleetwood Mac because my daughter wants to sing it. Just for laughs, I inserted Jamstix to see how well it would interpret the drums off of the midi tracks I have built so far. After moving a few sliders in Jamstix, the results were bordering on spooky. Mick Fleetwood himself would probably raise an eyebrow.

It's a fun program and in my opinion, well worth the price.

Happy New Year to all.
post edited by jimack - 2005/12/31 13:02:30

-- Jim

Sonar 7 PE, P5 v2.5, 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, MAudio 2496PCI, Event TR6, PodXT, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-C3, MAudio Axiom 61, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gretsch 5296, Fender Strat, Larrivee D03R, Martin D12-28, Martin D16-R, etc
cram1960
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/31 15:30:51 (permalink)
Jimack...
just post the tracks...no one knows who you are anyway! Why the negative ego-trip? What if we promise to accept their "hobbyist" nature and not to compare you to Charlie Watts or Mick Fleetwood? What if we promise not to post ANY critiques of your taste or style? We just wanna hear something made by a real person, and not a "demo artist"...Pleeeeeeeeez!

Especially someone who hasn't had the time to become an expert...You're EXACTLY who I'd like to hear from!
post edited by cram1960 - 2005/12/31 15:33:36

"Be the hammer, not the nail" - Ray Lewis

metaprog
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 551
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/31 16:04:11 (permalink)
Precisely. The overwhelming majority of users here are "hobbyists." Some more serious than others, of course. But absolutely no reason to be shy.

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass
RLD
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1990
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/31 16:45:26 (permalink)
I'm always looking fo new drum tools, thats why I'm interested in hearing a user post a tune...
I'm using Groove Agent at the moment...I like the midi files it provides and use them as a starting point, then I edit them to produce the drum tracks I want.
You can hear it on all songs in my sigs.
Here is a mp3 of GA by itself...I just hit play and went through the preset patterns and fills..
DRUM SOLO

Who's next?...
juicerocks
  • Total Posts : 512
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/31 17:10:56 (permalink)
FWIW I too bought this software but have yet to play with it. Too busy fighting other equipment at the moment.

But keep in mind many of those drum samples are more than likely unprocessed just like Ddrums. They are dry so you can taylor your own processing later. But I haven't heard them yet other than the samples from the websight. But I have heard the BFD stuff and this program is compatible with it. In fact a friend of mine does session drum tracks pretty cheap for songs or whole albums. (he he I said albums).

The sound you can always alter. I got it to help put into perspective songs that I've been struggling with playing without any drums. I just cant get into that groove without it.
There is no way I can replace the insight of a real drummer but if I can come up with at least some form of ideas then I'm ahead of my handicap.
JoePaz
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/31 17:22:36 (permalink)
There's some demo songs by owners on the rayzoon site if you want to hear some.

http://www.rayzoon.com/downloads.html

JP
jimack
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1814
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/31 17:28:27 (permalink)
Cram,

If I had something mixed down, I would signup with Soundclick and post it. But I don't have anything mixed down with Jamstix. I just got it.

I'm sure you can find examples on their site, or simply download the free demo. You'll see exactly what it can do. It's easier for you to download and install the demo than it is for me to mix and post a song. Not to mention, it's a holiday and I'm gonna party tonight.

I'm not trying to blow anybody off, it's just so easy to try the demo and it doesn't cost a cent.

Like I said above, I don't think anyone would be interested in it for a full production piece, but for an instant drummer, it's excellent. It's as excellent as you make it. As far as sound quality goes, if you're not happy with the sounds that come with it, port it over to BFD.

Mod Bod --

I noticed your comments regarding the demos posted by the users. Same thing. If you're not sure, just grab the free demo. You'll see what it's capabilties are.

Also, I believe they're working on the same type concept for a virtual Bass player. If they can pull it off like they have with Jamstix, it'll be fabulous for people that just like to play but don't have any other musicians to play with.

I think this guy's gonna make a million bucks with this software. And I'm glad for him because he's done an excellent job with it.

post edited by jimack - 2005/12/31 17:40:26

-- Jim

Sonar 7 PE, P5 v2.5, 3.4Ghz P4, 2GB RAM, MAudio 2496PCI, Event TR6, PodXT, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-C3, MAudio Axiom 61, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gretsch 5296, Fender Strat, Larrivee D03R, Martin D12-28, Martin D16-R, etc
cram1960
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/31 18:54:29 (permalink)
Jimack

I hope you noticed the smiley I put in my post.

I did d/l the demo, but don't really like the sound of the drumkit. I am awaiting the arrival of DFHS. I don't have BFD.

I listened to the some of the user songs there also.

I wasn't suggesting that you were trying to blow off anything. Nor was I recommending you not get your party on tonight. HNY!

"Be the hammer, not the nail" - Ray Lewis

Dave Modisette
RE: Jamstix 2005/12/31 19:45:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JoePaz

JP

Thanks. These gave me a better idea of what the program can do. Is it me or do these guys seem to bury their drum tracks in the mix? I must admit that I don't like the sound of the stock Jamstix kit but I plan to use my DFH kit anyway. Looks like I've missed the special but I'd rather spend the extra money an be sure it's a winner.

My music.
Zauni
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Jamstix 2006/01/04 16:30:45 (permalink)

Ralph Zeuner
rayzoon technologies
http://www.rayzoon.com
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
RE: Jamstix 2006/01/24 17:11:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

JP

Thanks. These gave me a better idea of what the program can do. Is it me or do these guys seem to bury their drum tracks in the mix? I must admit that I don't like the sound of the stock Jamstix kit but I plan to use my DFH kit anyway. Looks like I've missed the special but I'd rather spend the extra money an be sure it's a winner.

Did you eventually buy Jamstix and was it worth it?
Dave Modisette
RE: Jamstix 2006/01/24 18:11:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: munmun

JP

Did you eventually buy Jamstix and was it worth it?

Nope, I decided that Jamstix was definitely inferior to the results I could obtain with loops and what I could create myself. To me, that dawg won't hunt.

My music.
urock
RE: Jamstix 2006/01/24 18:42:06 (permalink)
I actually decided to buy it (unfortunately, my hestitation led to me missing the $79 sale) after messing around with the most recent demo for awhile. I haven't begun to master Jamstix yet, but there appears to be a lot under the hood and I'm hopeful that I can get it to do what I want. The aspect of Jamstix that convinced me to go ahead is the arranger. I think as I become familiar with it, the arranger will make my drum programming much easier. Also, I thought the included samples sounded pretty decent, and if I ever buy BFD, jamstix is compatible with it.

Best,

urock
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
RE: Jamstix 2006/01/24 20:33:28 (permalink)

I actually decided to buy it (unfortunately, my hestitation led to me missing the $79 sale) after messing around with the most recent demo for awhile. I haven't begun to master Jamstix yet, but there appears to be a lot under the hood and I'm hopeful that I can get it to do what I want. The aspect of Jamstix that convinced me to go ahead is the arranger. I think as I become familiar with it, the arranger will make my drum programming much easier. Also, I thought the included samples sounded pretty decent, and if I ever buy BFD, jamstix is compatible with it.

Best,

urock

How do the included samples compare with BFD or other sample kits?
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Jamstix 2006/01/24 21:54:31 (permalink)
EDIT: There are users in the Jamstix Forum publishing their work:
http://rayzoon.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=537
They don't sound very professional to me. See if you can get there without being a member, I don't know if you can.

Honestly, I was ready to place an order till I visited that site. I just want to make sure that it isn't typical of what you can produce.

Mod, I understand your caution. It was pretty hard to get past the performances to figure out what the drums were doing. Then I realized, when they were making those tracks, it was probably hard for jamstix to get past them too! So, it's probably way less than fair to judge jamstix by these way-poor examples.

I took a look at the videos and they are interesting. Whether I actually ended up using jamstix or not, I think that it could teach me a lot about drumming fundamentals, too.
post edited by losguy - 2006/01/24 22:00:04

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Jamstix 2006/01/24 22:15:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: tombuur

I have been through this journey:

Started with midi drums and drum samples like the ones you can buy from Sonic Implants.

Then I started using loops.

Then I got BFD.

Then Jamstix. It has a library too and it can steal patterns from midi files you may have. But it find it easier to just mark where I want the kick and snare beats and how the hihats should work. Then Jamstix adds variations in time and velocity (or BFD could do that), fills at appropriate intervals, and Jamstix will even change the velocity listnening to the volume of a track of your choice.

Hey, tombur, I really appreciated reading through your saga. I can feel you pain. I'm curious... when you mark where you want the kick, snare, and hi-hat should work, does Jamstix fill out the rest of the kit, too?

Also, I can imagine a pretty big kit... how much of the kit does jamstix use? Not a problem if it's basic, I can see using Jamstix for the bed and adding around it if needed, like for percussion.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
urock
RE: Jamstix 2006/01/25 01:17:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: munmun

How do the included samples compare with BFD or other sample kits?

The drum sounds that are included with Jamstix are good enough for me for now. I should mention that Rayzoon (which sells Jamstix) has been coming out with additional drum packs on a regular basis that sell for pretty cheap ($15-25). From the demos, they sound better than the included sounds. Go to rayzoon.com to listen to samples of the drum packs.

From the audio demos I have heard of BFD, BFD sounds more realistic as compared to the included Jamstix sounds. I'm not saying I'll definitely get BFD, just that it's nice that the two will play together, given the enthuasiatic reviews of BFD.

Best,

urock

tombuur
RE: Jamstix 2006/01/25 03:32:11 (permalink)
A couple of comments to several posts above.

When I mark kick and snare drums, I start with a drum pattern that sound fine. Then I change the kit parts to my liking. Guess you could do that in midi too with ready made midi patterns. The thing is, in Jamstix you can change while the pattern is looping and hear the results directly, move the kick elsewhere if it didn't sound as you wanted ...

The included drum kits sound fine compared to what you get for a sampler like Kontakt. Their size are also bigger than many drum kits you can buy. But BFD has much larger samples and hence more realism.

BTW I have just ordered Drumkit from Hell Superioer and Vintage & Custom. Got the bundle with 40% price reduction, i.e. almost one of the products for free when buying both. I already own BFD and considered expanding the basic version, but the DFHS mp3 demos sounded more like what I want. With DFHS I also get a full set of percussion instruments. BFD is a bit lacking when it comes to percussion.
jayhill
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 578
RE: Jamstix 2006/02/23 22:07:49 (permalink)
Hey Tom,

Do you have that Directixer, Jamstix and Sonar 5 all working together seemlessly on your setup?

Or are there still glitches?

Regards,

J
tombuur
RE: Jamstix 2006/02/24 03:03:31 (permalink)
Yes, I have done that. But honestly I use Cubase more these days, and anything vst works better there. I just miss the easier interface of Sonar.
martinlemonkiss
RE: Jamstix 2006/03/04 17:26:11 (permalink)
Hi just wanted to update..having spent a few months playing around with jamstix and having someone who knows how drums should sound has been valuable...i'm come to the conclusion that you have to take down the complexity ,funkiness ect in jamstix to zero but work on the snare style and high hats..then use the arranger for fills and then to get a real good sound go to output and route to the #4 and up the compressor on one of the tracks and i work in sonar so pan one drum track 60% left and the other one 60% right and i think it sounds pretty close to a natural drummer..and if not that a drum machine sound you could never hope to programme...i'm just finshing off some tracks and will post them to my website when i've finshed at www.lemonkiss.co.uk

Bottom line is i recommend jamstick 100%....you just need to play around with it for a while if you just play along to it as it is it sounds like the guy next door trying to impress..so take down the complexity and you get a drum machine that's still intuative but in e real world
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1