Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) [UPDATED]

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Legion
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1986
2010/07/05 05:11:56 (permalink)

Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) [UPDATED]

This is a new song with Jattao we just finished. After a few club numbers this time it's a darker ballad and Jattao still delivers both excellent lyrics and performance. Hope you'll like it.

Someday I'll Be Free
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9360935

Update:
Fixed a few things with vox, L/R, drums, levels etc etc. Hopefully it's even better now and thanks a lot for all the very valuabe input you have given me. A few edits got left out for various reasons but I did try them (some of them I really liked but it didn't really fit my vision of the tune).
post edited by Legion - 2010/07/17 14:51:18

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.

31 Replies Related Threads

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/05 08:46:29 (permalink)
    This is pretty good stuff. I'd re-eq the kick drum to give it a little more "oomph" and a little less "click". Vocals are nicely done, but just a titch upfront. They kinda washout the instrument bed in a few spots, but not by alot. Maybe back them off a db or so. Not a great ending to this. Maybe drop the music out before the last line, and just end it acappela. This is real close to being very very good.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/05 11:38:40 (permalink)
    Great song, nice groove :)

Superb vocal performances and sound. I like the effects and interaction of additional vocals.

The overall mix sounds clear and upfront but I'm curious as to why you chosen to have the lead vocal more to the right?

rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/05 12:48:58 (permalink)
    Back in 1980 while I was in the United States Navy, we made a trip to Copenhagen, Denmark. To get there we went through this long passage that winds its way through Denmark by Flensburg and then approached Copenhagen from the south. We did this so as to not to go into Sweden's declared water sovereignty. When we left, we didn't want to go back through that long arduous passage, so we went north between Denmark and Sweden. It wasn't long before Sweden was calling us up saying we were in their territory. Of course we were, but we lied and said we weren't.

I have enjoyed every piece that has this very talented girl signing and this one is no exception.

Nice work.

Ron
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/05 17:57:36 (permalink)
    R&B

Extensive arrangement and planning is apparent on this one.

Professional, sweet, perfectly mixed, top-notch and hot!

Vox may be a bit in-the-face as I'm focusing on the backround sweetness.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/06 10:15:29 (permalink)
    great stuff Legion. almost a retro type sound (as in around 2000!) it seems to me, though my knowledge of this genre could be written on a postage stamp (with room for War and Peace!). it sounds a little muddy when it starts, but as the ear gets accustomed it becomes perfect. i love the strings which come in for the chorus, and the retro organ is also verrry cooool. This has major potential i'm sure!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/06 10:22:15 (permalink)
    This a sweet tune in a slightly dark way. She really gives a sweet twist on it.  I'm listening on computer speakers, but it sound clean to me. Maybe a little more low end would help but then again it may muddy it???

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Legion
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/07 12:04:56 (permalink)
    Randy:
    Thanks for listening and for all your input and suggestions. I'm working on some small changes right now. Will keep the outro as is though as both I and Jattao likes it a lot

SC:
    Thanks for listening and glad you liked it. The lead vox are double tracked and panned dead center actually. You seem to have some good ears though as the average RMS on the right chanel of the music (guitar) was a little lower than the left (EP) wich probably gives the impression of the vox being biased. I'm on to it.

Ron:
    Cool story, so you have for a small amount of time actually been part of an american force invading Sweden I'm very glad you liked the tune and so is Jattao.

Philip:
    Thank you for your input. Glad you liked it.

MGH:
    Thank you my man, that was about exactly what I was after. I love the new soul sound from the late 90's and early 00's and really had that in mind while makin this one. Your knowledge of the genre seem to be bigger than you expect. I guess the retro organ you refer to is also a string patch from Dim Pro Classic Keys that I've tweaked a bit, I like it as well, a little melotronic almost.

Tap:
    Glad you liked it. Yeah it's a sweet little tune about the unsweetness of life Maye you're missing out on some of the low end and sub on the computer speakers but the new mix I'm working on has a little more bottom as well.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/07 13:03:30 (permalink)
    Nice arrangement/production... Vocal is excellent... I like the sound of the acoustic guitar...

Well done...
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/07 15:35:25 (permalink)
    Nice enjoyable listenable tune cool vox.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/07 16:18:12 (permalink)
    I like this... it's dark, but that's perfectly fine.   Good tune. Yeah... I agree... the instruments should mute and let the singer end it....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/07 16:20:28

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/07 19:59:40 (permalink)
    Cool song...I've liked everything I've heard

Jattao sing and this is certainly no

exception. Very nice.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Legion
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/08 12:47:06 (permalink)
    Notnat:
    Thanks a lot man. The guitar is actually Musiclabs RealGuitar that I ran through T-Racks optical compressor and probably some Liquid Mix EQ and some tube/tape saturation if I don't remember wrong. Took some time programming it

Wookie:
    Thanks for listening and commenting.

Herb:
    Thanks for listening and your input. I guess I'll have to check how the ending sounds acapella but I still think I'll keep it as it is ha ha ha.

Geeare1:
    Thanks a lot on my behalf and Jattao's.

twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/08 13:34:19 (permalink)
    Is Sade in the house?!? Well done as usual brother...and I like the way it ends

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/08 21:40:07 (permalink)
    I am listening on a low end laptop, but what I hear sounds great and very professional.
    Nice one.

Freddy J
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/08 22:58:26 (permalink)
    I'm all smiles on this one. All sounds great over here.

String Jammer
    Legion
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/11 04:03:27 (permalink)
    Twisted:
    Wow, thanks a lot for that comment. Sade is actually one of Jattao's favourite artist so if you would have thought I even came close to that sound I'd be very happy. I'm also glad you liked the ending, I'll tust your expertise

Freddy:
    Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it and that it translated well to your laptop speakers.

Scottytunes:
    Thanks a lot, I'm vyglad you liked it.

----------------------------

Everybody:
    I've made a few small tweaks and will probably be able to post the new version soon.

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/13 06:40:10 (permalink)
    Hey Legion/Jattao

I love Jattao's style so much it's always hard for me to be objective when she's involved.

Needless to say excellent vocal delivery, the real feature here for me though is this song.  I absolutely adore it.

I like the ending here too, although I think I'd prefer some held notes on the EP intro to suggest where the bass is going to fit when it comes in.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    tatey39
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/13 07:14:01 (permalink)
    Sick and slick.......Great tune Legion and Jattao's singing makes me feel all funny inside

Excellent piece, ideal for lying on your back looking at clouds.......

Peace costs nothing, so why not hand some out....?
    '04 Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Custom Alpine White, '70 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe GT, '70 Gibson Les Paul Cherry SB, Jackson Rhoads RX10D, Burny RLG60SL Slash Model Les Paul, Epiphone Les Paul Goth etc...See where this is going.....
    Dell Studio 500GB, 4GB
    MC5
    '82 JCM800 2204 head
    '09 Haze 15 head and custom made Celestion cabs
    RRT-1 pedal
    julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/13 14:53:03 (permalink)
    I think this is the first time I've heard her in slow mo... very NICE!  Seriously, very cool to hear her get to flex her pipes.  She has such a distinctive voice, Legion. 

No crit on the prodcution... I kind of like vocals up front.  Because that's why I listen to music.  To hear someone sing!  And there's no reason to hide her.  :)

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/13 16:31:11 (permalink)
    Very well done!  She's got a great voice and your production matches it. :-)
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/13 19:32:36 (permalink)
    Way to go Legion. Nice stuff.

Couple observations:
    • I would wait until :18 to bring the guitar in. Give the listener a few moments to get into the groove on the DnB before getting to the counterpoint that the guitar presents
    • I am okay with the kick as it is. The snare is pretty big, so getting the kick underneath it is key.
    • The l/r imbalance really bugs me.
    • On chorus, I would make the Someday I'll be free line with a slightly different eq on it, maybe also with a reverb or delay. Otherwise it kinda works against itself, like a super-obvious cut-in, and might be more iconic to throw it contrasted against itself , IFYKWIM.
    • The "I'm sad" line at 2:51 has a weird effect that throws it out of tune
    • Finally, a thing that has always stood out to me about Jat's recorded voice: while real distinctive, there seems to be huge perceived volume swings from word to word with her, almost a push pull effect on the listener, that makes some of the lyrics difficult to follow, and reduces the pleasure of listening to her. Please don't take it as a knock, cuz it isn't. I think a copious amount of syllable wav-slicing could do it, or a series of compressors.

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/13 21:15:01 (permalink)
    This is golden.   I Love it...every second of it.  Very soulful and authentic.  It's very well written and arranged/mixed and, of course sung.  Really beautiful song.
    Thanks for sharing.
    post edited by No How - 2010/07/13 21:16:07

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Legion
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/16 10:58:52 (permalink)
    Jonbouy:
    Thanks a lot me bredda. I might try that held notes thing.

Tatey:
    Thanks for listening and glad you liked it. Yeah, Jattao is really a great singer.

Julibee:
    Glad you liked it. Hmmm, maybe I haven't posted the slow songs we're working on. You'll hear more slow songs in a near future Ha ha ha, Jattao says the same thing about listening to music.

Janet:
    Thanks a lot

James:
    Thanks a lot for listening and your comments. And I who thought I was almost done with the mix I'm working on, damn you ha ha ha. Some great input and I really appreciate it. I think the L/R balance is solved in the mix I'm workin on, it bugged me as well. Nice idea with the guitar as well, will try it. I've changed the kick just a hint in the mix I'm workin on but not much. About the "Someday..." that was my intention, I guess I was a little to careful on the EQ though ha ha ha. Will check the "I'm sad" line as well. With the voice I often run it pretty hard through a leveling opto but backed it of to keep dynamics as this is a slow jam but maybe chaning will work a charm.

No How:
    Thanks for listening and glad you liked it. Everything in the tune is based on reality, even if some details have been adjusted to make it fit into a song, so the authenticity is definitely there.

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/16 14:01:10 (permalink)
    Legion

"With the voice I often run it pretty hard through a leveling opto but backed it of to keep dynamics as this is a slow jam but maybe chaning will work a charm."

What is a leveling optimizer?   Can it make my vocals sound like Jattao??? ...or perhaps i should be talking to the pharmacist?
    post edited by No How - 2010/07/16 14:02:39

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Legion
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/16 15:22:15 (permalink)
    LOL, not an opimizer. An opto compressor. With leveling I refer to LA2A style smooth compressing (the new T-Racks opto can work great as well). Maybe circuitbent it can make one sound like Jattao, it's worth the try aint it

About pharmacists, this is pretty funny: http://www.clearvoicespray.com/

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/16 16:25:07 (permalink)
    On my less-than-terrific vocals, I do staged compression to even out the lower-volume parts quite often. But I almost always end up with that tRacks Opto using the transparent leveller or the smooth vocal compressor preset.

Though I am not sure what I would do with Jattao's vocals....
    Legion
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/17 14:49:00 (permalink)
    Update:
    Fixed a few things with vox, L/R, drums, levels etc etc. Hopefully it's even better now and thanks a lot for all the very valuabe input you have given me. A few edits got left out for various reasons but I did try them (some of them I really liked but it didn't really fit my vision of the tune).

JYY:
    I love the T-Racks Opto as well but often (depending on the song) use the LM LA2A on Jattao as it's sound seem to merge very well with hers. I tried chainin' 'em together now and think it sound even more smooth now. The LM manages the main compression and then I let the Opto catch the loudest peaks to make the track more even.

Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/17 14:54:18 (permalink)
    Really like the chord progression used on this.. moody. A very pretty sounding tune. The kick threw me little when the double beats came in, but the more I listened, it fits well. This was sung very soufully and lot's of emotion pouring from this. I'm thinking my favorite from you yet. Very well produced too!!

Larry
    Legion
    Re:Jattao - Someday I'll Be Free (Soulful R&B) 2010/07/19 14:34:15 (permalink)
    Larry:
    Thanks a lot! I'm very glad you liked it, the tune and the mix

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1