Helpful ReplyJaw harp

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Hellbilly
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
2011/03/22 09:44:08 (permalink)

Jaw harp

Hello,  Has anyone found a "jaw harp" anywhere in Sonar???
lavoll
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 09:49:00 (permalink)
there's one in the proteus world pack (which you can buy).. other than that, i have one in my studio tuned to an F, is that any useful? :)

sonar x1b, win 7, 12gig ram, 6gb ssd, i7 Hexa Processor i7-970, lynx aurora
Hellbilly
Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 09:57:06 (permalink)
Very, thank you. I have one, but chipped my tooth trying to get it to make a sound. Since then I've had extensive dental work done and don't want to risk breaking teeth again. lol. What we do for music. Have a great day.
amdrecording
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 10:01:31 (permalink)
http://www.microhammer.com/?page_id=48

Jaw harp available from these guys. Highly suggest ANY of their products, but keep in mind that for most instruments, full version of Kontakt (not kontakt player) is required!

Hellbilly
Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 10:06:52 (permalink)
Great, thank you very much!
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 10:07:56 (permalink)
amdrecording

http://www.microhammer.com/?page_id=48

Jaw harp available from these guys. Highly suggest ANY of their products, but keep in mind that for most instruments, full version of Kontakt (not kontakt player) is required!

According to the website the Jaw harp is available in SFZ

format: 44.1Khz /24 bit / stereo .wav format
  • Format(s): Kontakt, SFZ and .wav
  •  
    So it should work in SFZ or Dim Pro,  possibly with restricted functionality??

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 10:31:04 (permalink)
    There's a really nice set of Jaw Harp samples in the new Garritan World Library - 3 octaves of samples, covering more sounds coming from a Jaw Harp than I've ever heard before.  Separate instruments aren't available though, you have to get the whole package - World is $150 and comes with the Aria player.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Hellbilly
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 14:36:41 (permalink)
    Thanks bro, I'll check that out!
    benstat
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 15:07:30 (permalink)
    There is a Jaw Harp in Dimension Pro:

Digital Sound Factory EMU Proteus Examples -> Planet Earth -> Jaw Harp

How did I find it? By using the new SONAR Plus Dimension/Rapture preset search (www.sonarplus.co.uk/pages/about.aspx)!!!

My DAW: Intel i5, Cakewalk UA-1G, Win7 64 bit, SONAR X1a Producer 64 bit
    Hellbilly
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 21:33:01 (permalink)
    I have dimension LE,  BOOOOOOOOOO. I've been using it for bass tracks and am quite pleased. I was unable to find a harp in there tho. I shall have to look again.

I was able to get a copy of Proteus VX. However I have been unable to get Cakewalk to recognize it. I followed the default installation as recomended. I also chose the stand alone feature, but can get no sound with that either. I'm using the Delta 1010lt set up as ASIO.
    When I have a song file open, proteus is not in the list of VST plug-ins. Do I need to move the folder? Why is there no sound?

Obviously, this is the first time I have ever added a VST after the fact, but hey I'm a patient guy.  
    rbowser
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 23:28:43 (permalink)
    Hellbilly

I have dimension LE,  BOOOOOOOOOO. I've been using it for bass tracks and am quite pleased. I was unable to find a harp in there tho. I shall have to look again.

I was able to get a copy of Proteus VX. However I have been unable to get Cakewalk to recognize it. I followed the default installation as recomended. I also chose the stand alone feature, but can get no sound with that either. I'm using the Delta 1010lt set up as ASIO.
    When I have a song file open, proteus is not in the list of VST plug-ins. Do I need to move the folder? Why is there no sound?

Obviously, this is the first time I have ever added a VST after the fact, but hey I'm a patient guy.  

Hellbilly - It sounds like you didn't re-scan your VST folder after you added the Proteus.  Each time you add something new to your VST folder, you need to have Sonar re-scan in order to find the new content. - I'll add that I have Proteus VX, and it's a rather strangely programmed synth, and not all that exciting - I don't think you're really missing anything.

For finding the Jaw Harp, Benstat pointed out, if you use Sonar Plus, it has a Dim/Rapture search utility.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 23:39:09 (permalink)
    benstat

How did I find it? By using the new SONAR Plus Dimension/Rapture preset search (www.sonarplus.co.uk/pages/about.aspx)!!!

OK, so after following the link, I finally bit the bullet and decided to see what's happening with the new version of SonarPlus---um, after almost 15 minutes of it trying to install, and nothing happened - I backed out of the install.  What's going on?

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Hellbilly
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/22 23:47:40 (permalink)
    Hey Randy, I restarted the the computer and now the stand alone works fine. Sonar still will not recognize Proteus. I understand what you are telling me now. I did scan VST and it still didn't show up. I am still using Sonar 8.5 I don't know what else to give you for info except maybe the file path to where the install put proteus.

c/program files/creative professional/proteus VX

There are other files here named VST. Should I move it to there?

I will try to scan again first. I'm rather excited about the sounds it has. Even tho I didn't find a jaw harp on it I would still like it in my library.
    post edited by Hellbilly - 2011/03/23 00:18:12
    rbowser
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/23 00:23:20 (permalink)
    Hellbilly

Hey Randy, I restarted the the computer and now the stand alone works fine. Sonar still will not recognize Proteus. I understand what you are telling me now. I did scan VST and it still didn't show up. I am still using Sonar 8.5 I don't know what else to give you for info except maybe the file path to where the install put proteus.

c/program files/creative professional/proteus VX

There are other files here named VST. Should I move it to there?

I will try to scan again first. I'm rather excited about the sounds it has. Even tho I didn't find a jaw harp on it I would still like it in my library.

Ah, well I assumed an important detail, didn't mention it - The .dll file has to be copied into the VST folder where all your Cakewalk VSTs are kept.  You need to have a folder in your Cakewalk folder labeled VST, and in it are all the synths and audio VSTs that you use--you have such a folder-- Just copy the Proteus .dll file to that, and then scan from Sonar.  The program needs to know where to look.  The other method is to keep adding more folders for the app to search - but it's much tidier to just have all  your .dlls in that one folder.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Hellbilly
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/23 00:30:48 (permalink)
    Thank you sir, I will give that stab and let you know how I made out. Peace.
    Hellbilly
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/23 12:38:48 (permalink)
    Hey Randy,
    I was able to get Sonar to recognize Proteus. It will open and load into the project on it's own track and launch, but will not load the sounds. I mis-spoke before when I said I had never added any VSTs after Cakewalk was installed. I did actually put Revalver hp on the machine, but it installed itself and worked on it's own.

These are the paths I put Proteus in:

C/ProgramFiles/Cakewalk/vst

Then I tried:

C/ProgramFiles/Cakewalk

I also tried rebooting each time and Manage layouts to look at those specific locations. I guess what I need is a step by step to get this done. I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious, but since I am new to this, it would be easy to do so. Maybe Proteus just does not work with Sonar 8.5 Studio?
    rbowser
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/23 13:05:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
    Hellbilly

Hey Randy,
    I was able to get Sonar to recognize Proteus. It will open and load into the project on it's own track and launch, but will not load the sounds. I mis-spoke before when I said I had never added any VSTs after Cakewalk was installed. I did actually put Revalver hp on the machine, but it installed itself and worked on it's own.

These are the paths I put Proteus in:

C/ProgramFiles/Cakewalk/vst

Then I tried:

C/ProgramFiles/Cakewalk

I also tried rebooting each time and Manage layouts to look at those specific locations. I guess what I need is a step by step to get this done. I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious, but since I am new to this, it would be easy to do so. Maybe Proteus just does not work with Sonar 8.5 Studio?

It's been a very long time since I installed that synth - so I just now had a look to see where it all is on my computer.

I'm using Sonar 8.5 Studio, by the way, so your version of Sonar isn't the problem.

The Proteus VX is one of those synths that is fairly large, more than just one .dll file like some things.  The folder for the program itself is in my C drive Program Files.  It has several sub-folders.  Then, the .dll file that Sonar needs to read is in my Cakewalk VST folder, in a folder named EMU Proteus VX. 

So there are two parts to the synth.  The folder with all of its stuff needs to be by itself, defaulted logically to my Program Files.  And I asked the .dll file to go with the other .dlls - in the Cakewalk folder.  Your message sounds like you were dealing with only one part of the synth.

Hope that helps.
    RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Hellbilly
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/23 22:07:16 (permalink)
    I still haven't been able to figure it out so I'm going to abandon it for now simply because it isn't something I have to have. I appreciate your time. I'm going to return to my original task of finding a jaw harp. I guess Dimension Pro has one. Thanks again.
    Sacalait
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 552
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/23 22:20:22 (permalink)
    Dude... if you want an excellent jaw harp sound (similar to "Up on Cripple Creek") dial in a Wurlitzer piano and insert a wahwah pedal (or envelope filter).  ...Perfect!

www.pershingwells.com www.facebook.com/pershingwells
    Sonar Platinum, PC- Intel i7-4770K w/16 Gig RAM Windows 8.1, Solid State Drive and eSATA drives, Mytek, RME UFX, RME Multiface II, Roland VS700,  A-Designs Pacifica, UA LA610, Presonus RC500. A-Designs Hammer EQ, DBX, AKG, Neumann, Roland, JBL, Fender, Gibson, G&L, Marshall, Korg, Martin, Shure, Electrovoice, Yamaha, Chameleon Labs comps.
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/23 22:20:34 (permalink)
    benstat

Great plug Ben!

A1
    rbowser
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/23 22:50:23 (permalink)
    Hellbilly

I still haven't been able to figure it out so I'm going to abandon it for now simply because it isn't something I have to have. I appreciate your time. I'm going to return to my original task of finding a jaw harp. I guess Dimension Pro has one. Thanks again.

Oh well.  I added the Proteus well over a year ago, so I can't be positive of the steps I took.  I don't remember anything especially odd though - The program files for the Proteus went into my C drive Program Files, and then when asked where the .dll file should go, I directed it to my VST folder inside Cakewalk.  That's all.

BUT
    I'm wondering if it's actually the functioning of the synth itself which has you flummoxed, because as I mentioned earlier, this synth does have a different way of working as compared to most synths.  Are you able to open an instance of the Proteus, but you just can't figure out how to load the sounds?  Lemme know.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Hellbilly
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/24 00:05:39 (permalink)
    Eureka! I was one step away! Like Jim Carrey in When Nature Calls with the slinky.

Let the defaults load.
    Move the proteus VX folder (located inside the creative professional folder) into your VST, in this case Cakewalk.
    Then Sonar will recognize Proteus.
    Here is the part I was not doing: Once the Proteus "workstation" is open into a track, you have to phisically load the sounds.
    Open file/E-MU Sound Central/Proteus X Composer v2.0.1.exb/Proteus X Composer v2.0.1 and the sounds will load.

Unfortunately, it looks as tho I may have to load the sounds everytime I want to use it, but hey whatever. Ofcourse I still couldn't have reached that point without your help so again I thank you. I hope that others will benefit from this. Have a great day!
    Hellbilly
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/24 00:09:54 (permalink)
    Sacalait, Awesome! Are these instruments in Proteus, Dimension LE, etc.? I definately want to check this out. Thanks!
    post edited by Hellbilly - 2011/03/24 00:12:45
    sgotr
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/24 00:14:24 (permalink)
    Hellbilly though not in Sonar Garritn World Instruments has a nice one go here
    http://www.garritan.com/i...;id=151&Itemid=169
    and click on the right the song sample called >  A ROVIN - Randy Bowser
    post edited by sgotr - 2011/03/24 00:16:01
    rbowser
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/24 00:25:34 (permalink)
    Hellbilly

Eureka! I was one step away! Like Jim Carrey in When Nature Calls with the slinky.

Let the defaults load.
    Move the proteus VX folder (located inside the creative professional folder) into your VST, in this case Cakewalk.
    Then Sonar will recognize Proteus.
    Here is the part I was not doing: Once the Proteus "workstation" is open into a track, you have to phisically load the sounds.
    Open file/E-MU Sound Central/Proteus X Composer v2.0.1.exb/Proteus X Composer v2.0.1 and the sounds will load.

Unfortunately, it looks as tho I may have to load the sounds everytime I want to use it, but hey whatever. Ofcourse I still couldn't have reached that point without your help so again I thank you. I hope that others will benefit from this. Have a great day!

Hey, good deal, Hellbilly--Thanks for letting us know you had success.

What you did obviously works, since it's up and running for you now, but letting the synth install where it wanted to would have worked also, like I described in previous posts.  All you need in your Cakewalk VST folder is the synth's .dll file.  That file references whatever files are needed to make a synth work.  Some audio effects and synths are self-contained in the .dll file, but others, like the Proteus, involve large libraries which reside elsewhere.  It's fine that you moved the folder to your VST folder, but all you really needed to do was move the single .dll file, or tell it to install there in the first place.  That's for future reference when you add other 3rd party synths.

When you say that you have to load the sounds every time - I think you're describing just the way it works.  The synth's GUI has a browser on the left, and when you click "Library," you get the list of the sounds available.  Then you add them as you want to the 16 available slots.  That's normal - if that's what you're describing.  It's always a blank slate until you set up the sounds you want to use.  - This synth is different in the way it's set up from most, and that was also what I was referring to earlier.  I find it an especially "fiddley" synth - and on the rare occasion when I try it out again, I always need to do a lot of clicking to get back up to speed as to how you're supposed to load sounds and all that.

But there ya go--looks like you got yer Proteus VX - good deal.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/24 00:28:10 (permalink)
    sgotr

Hellbilly though not in Sonar Garritn World Instruments has a nice one go here
    http://www.garritan.com/i...;id=151&Itemid=169
    and click on the right the song sample called >  A ROVIN - Randy Bowser

Hi, Sgotr - Thanks for the mention of Garritan World.  That's my demo you're referring to - As I said earlier on this thread, World does have a great set of Jaw Harp samples.  Three octaves of all sorts of articulations to choose from.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    sgotr
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/24 00:44:21 (permalink)
    I really like your GWI song  SCOTLAND THE BRAVE - Randy Bowser and saw the making of vid too:)
    BTW do you know who did the WORLD FIDDLE song does not list the songwriter
    Oh well a little OT

post edited by sgotr - 2011/03/24 00:51:48
    rbowser
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/24 10:32:32 (permalink)
    sgotr

I really like your GWI song  SCOTLAND THE BRAVE - Randy Bowser and saw the making of vid too:)
    BTW do you know who did the WORLD FIDDLE song does not list the songwriter
    Oh well a little OT

Hello again, Sgotr - Yeah, I guess we're a bit far afield from the original topic, Oh well!  It's fun to see my Garritan demos on a Sonar thread, so wanted to reply. - Glad you caught the Garritan tute at You Tube - That's a pretty fast-paced video.  Hopefully I'll be doing some more tutes for Garritan, biting off a bit less at a time and chewing it more slooooowly. 

Robert Davis did the fiddle demo, looks like his name was left off by accident.  He did several of the other demos there at the Personal Orchestra site.

On Topic - My chance to point out again that the Jaw Harp collection in Garritan World is great!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/24 15:34:17 (permalink)
    Hey!  I can't believe I forgot about this VSTi - But was looking for things to use in my current project, and there in my Cakewalk VST folder is this "Jew's Harp"--ahem-- which had fallen off my radar.

FREE - with a Large selection of samples - If anyone's still following this thread, go get this - sorry I didn't think of it earlier:

Free Jaw Harp

Go about 1/2 down the page and you'll find the download.  Other interesting things on that page also.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    sgotr
    Re:Jaw harp 2011/03/24 16:24:16 (permalink)
    Randy most of those links do not work
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1