Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
2011/06/09 18:18:23 (permalink)

Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer

I just saw this on his facebook page.  I'm so incredibly sad. He was a great friend and even greater help when it came to my music.  I know I'm not the only one that will miss him around here. 
Memorial Services for Jimmy Gentry will be held at the Cheatham County Funeral Home at 7pm, Friday with visitation before service. 117 Elizabeth St., Ashland City. Easily accessible from Hwy 12 and 49. Please spread the word amongst the musician networks.

49 Replies Related Threads

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 18:21:00 (permalink)
    aww man this is sad.Thanks for posting Janet,we prob wouldnt have known.

RIP brother,thanks for sharing your gift.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 18:41:17 (permalink)
    Rest In Peace Jimmy.

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 18:44:51 (permalink)
    God bless your family my friend.  You will be missed, but I hope to see you again some day. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 18:55:32 (permalink)
    Rest In Peace, Jimmy.

Thank you for sharing your music and knowledge.

You will be missed.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Janet
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 18:56:56 (permalink)
    I wrote and recorded this song for him a couple months ago, but don't want to post it until my voice gets better.  He did listen to it, but I haven't talked to him since.  I'm sad now that I didn't call him. 

God Bless You, Jimmy

Every now and then
    you meet a special friend
    one who makes you more than you could be alone
    one who sees you differently than you see yourself
    he looks out for you, as if you were his own

God bless you, Jimmy you’re such a special friend
    always kind and giving, good to the end
    God bless you, Jimmy for goin’ the second mile
    Somehow you always make me smile.   

And every now and then, we stumble and fall,
    something bigger than ourselves washes over us,
    When the pain comes in waves and we don’t know what to do,
    It’s good to know in God we can trust.

And now a tough time’s come, but your friends still love you
    if we could, we’d take the pain away
    we hate to see you hurting we wanna be there for you
    so for now, we’ll remember to pray

God bless you, Jimmy you’re such a special friend
    always kind and giving, good to the end
    God bless you, Jimmy, for goin’ the second mile
    we pray that God will give you back your smile
    God please give Jimmy back his smile

Beagle
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 19:00:24 (permalink)
    That's a fantastic eulogy, Janet. 

and He did. 

Janet
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 19:02:00 (permalink)
    Yes, I thought about that, Reece.  He DOES have his smile back now...and no pain.  I wish it could have been here, but I believe he's happier now anyway. 
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 19:10:29 (permalink)
       R.I.P. Jimmy! 

String Jammer
    Beagle
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 19:22:45 (permalink)
    I just got off the phone with Jimmy's sister.  Obviously she is heartbroken.

I offered to continue/reinvigorate the donations to help pay for his services, but she said that they have enough provisions for that, and that she would request that any donations be sent to a cancer service charity in Jimmy's name instead.  She will be sending me the details on where to send donations in Jimmy's name in the near future.  obviously she's a little busy right now.

please keep her in your prayers, she is in need of them as are her 4 surviving brothers.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 19:34:49 (permalink)
    Man that is so sad. My prayers are with his family for comfort in this time of great sadness.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 19:50:11 (permalink)
    so sad. Jimmy was a kind and gentle man.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 20:50:21 (permalink)

we are blessed, we who have spent a second in friendship with Jimmy...

taken home by the only One who knows the hows, wheres and whys of this life.

RIP me brudda...

love, Your forum family

MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 21:31:38 (permalink)
    Very sad. Enjoyed his music and input. RIP Jimmy.
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 23:12:26 (permalink)
    ohhh boy.  that is a crusher.

God bless you Jimmyman.  I 'll miss your quiet gentlemanly style and soft silky voice.  I'll miss your taking every question and comment as if it were the only one that mattered.
    I'll miss your soulful music.

Rest in His Peace.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/09 23:40:54 (permalink)
    RIP Jimmy.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 02:14:07 (permalink)
    RIP, Gentleman Jimmy.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 03:58:07 (permalink)
    That's very sad news.  Maybe God needed a great guitar player/singer.  Our prayers are with his family.

God bless you, Jimmy. You were truly a wonderful, kindhearted, very talented person.  Rest in peace, my friend.

Bob

malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 04:00:38 (permalink)
    Free from pain and cares, may your peaceful rest be eternal, Jimmy.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there, I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow,
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am sun on ripened grain,
    I am the gentle Autumn's rain.
    When you wake in the morning's hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry,
    I am not there, I did not die.

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 10:13:51 (permalink)
    This is heartbreaking and I'm fighting back tears. But Jimmy had a great soul, and I'm sure he's in better hands now. I feel honored to have known him and created music together with him.

Fantastic words, Janet. I'm sure they made Jimmy smile.

Go hug someone today and tell them you love them - life's too short.
    Janet
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 10:18:54 (permalink)
    Dave, it's funny.... he said he couldn't hear the words very well and he wanted to help me mix it better.  :)  Always the helper. :) I sent him the printed words right afterwards, but never heard back from him after that.

I just saw on his sister's FB page that he really went downhill fast the last couple of weeks and just sorta gave up. He was in a lot of pain and lost a lot of weight and he was already a small man.  I believe he was with his friends the whole time.  It sounds like his sister appreciated music like Jimmy did.  :)
    Beagle
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 10:37:45 (permalink)
    Yes, she said that on his last day he was getting treatment and trying to tell them something but didn't have the strength in his lungs to say what he was trying to say but she thinks it might have been him trying to tell them something was wrong - maybe a stroke or heart attack.  but since they couldn't tell what he was saying they didn't do anything at that time and he died shortly after.

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 11:04:19 (permalink)
    I  , unfortunately, didn't get to know Jimmy, but reading the reactions on his passing away says enough of the man he was.

"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man."

My condolences to everyone who knew Jimmy.

Rik

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 11:12:18 (permalink)
    I've had my fingers on this keyboard a couple of times this morning since I saw the news. Words escaped me each time. Still not sure what can be said to really make myself feel better. As some of you know, with Janet's help I tried to help Jimmy by making some arrangements and offering to help financially in addition to the donations some of us made through Reece's kind efforts in setting up a way to get him some money to help him. The communications I had with Janet about what she was hearing from Jimmy didn't give me the feeling that things were going to turn out good for him, but he seemed to have a hopeful attitude. He spoke of getting back home, and playing in a band. He said he wanted to take me up on my offer after his treatments if I was willing. I always was.

My feelings about Jimmy are that he was a gentle, simple Southern soul. A very talented musician and songwriter. And a much better recordist and mixer than he gave himself credit for. Especially considering his modest gear. His songs had a soulful honesty that never failed to reach me, with heartfelt lyrics and just the right notes played beautifully on guitar. His generous comments on others music was always honest and, while not always easy to read, helpful. I've missed reading his posts for the last 6 months or so, and always will now.

Thanks to Janet for her help in trying to help Jimmy, and to Reece for facilitating the funds we raised for him. You guys are 2 of the good ones.

After writing this, I still feel a sadness that Jimmy didn't get the help he needed, and that he kind of fell through the cracks because of his lot it life. It shouldn't have happened, but it does. Damn shame that.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 11:35:30 (permalink)
    I always sensed that Jimmy was not afraid to bare his soul on these forums, he always spoke from the heart and did so in a diplomatic/honest way so as to help and not offend. His music and playing contained his being. I can't say I was a close friend of his, but close enough to feel an emptiness here on this forum. I feel that Jimmy has gone home now, minus the pain and suffering.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Beagle
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 11:44:28 (permalink)
    All,
    feel free to express condolences to his family here as well.  I have pointed Tonia (his sister) to this thread and she will be reading your thoughts and sympathies.

Melee54
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 17:11:00 (permalink)
    No way :/ ...

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 19:52:48 (permalink)
    Larry, I totally agree.yeah Jimmy always went the extra mile and was never afraid to bare his soul in so doing when listening and critiquing.
    Randy, I think you really summarized the situation well.

Jimmy was incredibly talented and at the same time incredibly humble. He was one of the few people on this forum who probably spent as much time listening to some of my tunes as I did, which was very humbling for me.

We shared a lot of insight into each others music which grew to be more than just musical conversation. His music was more than just an analogy of his life and experiences. They were deeply thought out which was very comforting to him. He was always searching deeper for his truth in understanding of who he was. This is evident in the numerous ways he would describe how he heard things in our music. He would relate his thoughts in this same manner and it wasn't always easy to understand where he was coming from and he would have to rephrase what he was saying. He was also one who wouldn't stop after just one listen but would go back many times to re-listen and comment.

He helped me get through a really hard time in my life after my dad had passed away and I had lost my job. I believe he sincerely cared about me, and would occasionally send me an email to see if I was still o.k. At one point he was so inspired by my work ( and I still am not sure why?) and took the time to write a song that he dedicated to me because of our short friendship.  That's the kind of guy Jimmy was. I know he cared the same for so many others on this forum as well.

Tonia, if you are reading this my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 20:44:14 (permalink)
    +1 all!

Jimmy has helped me exceedingly and inspired me more than anyone.  I regret I'm too late for the memorial service in TN.

6 months ago I publicly emulated Jimmy's euphonics as closely and lushly as possible (before his official demise, IIRC) -- I've always perceived God's great love flowing through him:  http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10128358

The love song did not sit well with many of you, but I was faithful to Jimmy's euphonics and his sincere heavenly groanings.

Surely I'll see his face soon and we will jam together on my stringed instruments.

"to the Chief Singer on my stringed instruments" -- Habakkuk 3.19
    post edited by Philip - 2011/06/10 20:45:15

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Jimmy Gentry has lost his fight with cancer 2011/06/10 21:25:52 (permalink)
    Jimmy was a gentle soul, and a true southern gentleman... my heart is heavy...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1