Helpful ReplyJourney - Separate Ways (worlds apart) UPDATED FOR THE REASON I ASKED THE QUESTION

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ruralrocker2010
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 616
2012/07/09 16:43:54 (permalink)

Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) UPDATED FOR THE REASON I ASKED THE QUESTION

Guys,
ORIGINAL QUESTION
Would love some ears on this particular song. Can someone tell me what you think went into making Steve Perry's voice have that really whispy, airy sound in his vocal? It almost seems to have a resident "breathing" sound to it? I'm posting this here because I have something coming up that's pretty awesome...and yes I used whisper tracks...OMG!!!!!!! LOVE WHISPER TRACKS! 

UPDATE: Why I asked It.
Me singing Journey:
http://soundcloud.com/joshua-barnes/journey-worlds-apart-separate 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afHQd-lP4yU

post edited by ruralrocker2010 - 2012/07/09 22:23:45

Joshua Barnes
Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/09 16:46:19 (permalink)
I think it is just Steve Perry's unique voice. And he double- and I think at times triple-tracked his lead vocal.
ruralrocker2010
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/09 17:22:07 (permalink)
Can't you hear that sound at the end of each phrase? That doesn't sound natural at all. I can't think of anything you'd do vocally that would make that noise...on purpose. You'd have to be forcing additional air out on purpose... it almost rings out.

it's right at the end of each line as he's finishing the last note. Especially in the "here we stand"

Worlds apart, then it starts to disappear as he goes higher.

Joshua Barnes
Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/09 18:24:15 (permalink)
They don't call him "The Voice" for nothing. Sounds to me like double tracking, compression, reverb/delay, with a touch of Steve Perry;) A magical combination... Regards
californiamusic
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/09 19:25:53 (permalink)
Why are the greats "Great".  They just have something almost no one else does.  Steve perry definitely is in that category  ; )

Intel i7-4770 -  3.9GHZ DDR3  -  32GB RAM
Sonar Platinum
Presonus Studio 192
Motu 2408 MK3
Waves v9
Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilion 
Novation V-Station, Gladiator, ReFX Nexus, Lounge Lizard, Alchemy

www.soundcloud.com/glenntolliver
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/09 19:25:59 (permalink)
Joshua, I think a lot of that sound is coming out of a rack of f/x.  I hear nothing here that can't be duplicated at home.  It's easy to over think these things and hear things that aren't really there.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
ruralrocker2010
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/09 22:25:05 (permalink)
Thank you Lynn, that's what I'm thinking too, but I can't think of how it's done. So, what I did was one main vocal, with a 25% spread on two whisper tracks. This is an exceptionally hard song to sing. I mean, probably the hardest song I've ever attempted.

Joshua Barnes
Lynn
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/09 23:05:22 (permalink)
I can't wait to hear your version.  This doesn't sound easy at all, but you have a terrific voice, and I applaud you for your willingness to tackle such a difficult project.  However, I don't hear whisper tracks associated with this.  I think it's just one or two takes overlaid on the lead vocal.  But, don't keep us in suspense for long.
ruralrocker2010

Thank you Lynn, that's what I'm thinking too, but I can't think of how it's done. So, what I did was one main vocal, with a 25% spread on two whisper tracks. This is an exceptionally hard song to sing. I mean, probably the hardest song I've ever attempted.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/09 23:29:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I think what you are hearing is Steve Perry's voice coupled with 
a high end mic...and the FX...

A good High End Vocal Mic will have a clean, airy top...
Add that to some high end pre's and effects...

Bang....done...

That's the Big Guy advantage...they get all the good toys...

While we sit back and try to duplicate their sound with
"modeled" versions...which are getting a whole lot better...btw

Just remember....Boston's first CD was recorded in
Tom Sholtz's basement....obviously with a lot of
nice equipment...LOL

Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 01:32:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Not that knowledgeble, myself.  But the lead vox here (http://soundcloud.com/joshua-barnes/journey-worlds-apart-separate ) certainly delivers the goods with astonishing beauty.

Perhaps tape saturation, comps, and/or the backing vox doubling(s) (single track + a Haas'd double track) and/or whispering ... did give Journey some apparent success.

I hope Danny Danzi chimes.

But as others noted, thick propietary vocs may be tricky to emulate with today's non-vintage DAWs and/or singers.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Scottytunes
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5695
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 07:54:09 (permalink)
Answer?

Maybe he used a cheap mic. He gets the same rhaspy , airy sound as I get with my AT-2020

String Jammer
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 08:24:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Joshua: I think you did a pretty darned good job on this brother. A little pitchy in spots...not a bad out of key type of pitchy...just sort of...maybe a bit unsure type of pitchy if that makes sense?

The key to Steve's sound is the actual sound of his voice. Ever hear him talk? He has a very peculiar voice that sort of has that half rasp, half wheeze type timbre to it. Almost like a smoker yet not as severely damaged sounding. Ever hear Eric Martin from Mr. Big? He has a similar timbre. The chicks call it "sexy rasp". It's just the way his vocal folds resonate.

Now, if you are a smoker, you can get close to this sound with a really high end mic because it will pick up everything. You can literally hear your epoglottis flapping, any phlegm you got hanging around, if you wheeze, smack your lips, your tongue sticks to the roof of your mouth....those high end mics pick up everything. Try a Nuemann U-87 or something. I wish I could loan you mine...I can't use the darned thing unless I sing in the key of G. LOL! For some odd reason it just doesn't sound right on my voice in any other key. I get this weird rasp sound from it that isn't too pleasing for my vocal style. But it really works well on other people.

I think you are really close to Steve's tone though...there were moments of greatness on this for sure. Good range, you hit all the notes and your delivery was really killer. Good job man...keep up the good work. With a good voice like that, you can only get better if you stick with it. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
ruralrocker2010
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 10:27:59 (permalink)
Philip; thank you very much. I knew the risk I was taking on with this song; but like Lynn said, I'm just a take names kind of guy. I have a tremendous amount of respect now for Steve Perry. It's not the notes that make this hard to sing, it's the FULL CHEST, BELTING HIGH D's over High C. I can sing a d5 without any problem at all. I can event sing a C6. Which is why I always chuckle a little when people give me range advice. But, he belts, full chest, the whole way and that my friend is HARD. This song really challenged me and I can assure you, there's no way to cheat on this song or this type of singing. If I would have flipped to my head voice, you would have noticed. This song was a workout and took me a while to get comfortable with. As a contrast, many of you know me for my Chris Cornell vocals...well, thing is, as a singer, I actually thing the steve perry thing is MUCH harder than the cornell thing. I can do 10 cornell songs in the same time it would take me to work up a journey song...no value judgement, just a reality. And, I'd nail cornells tone.

Danzi- I'm really loving your advice. You've been a lot of help to me and frankly peoples response to my taking this on (in largess) has not been resoundingly positive. It was a tough tune for sure and you're right about the pitch. I'm always trying to really push myself and hard. But, I definitely need to upgrade my signal chain. Most of the clarity that you hear in this actually had to be comp'ed and eq'd in and is not naturallly from my signal chain. 

If you guys want to know the truth, some time ago, someone on here recommended I take a look at Ken Tamplin vocal academy. So I did and I sent him a vocal sample and he took me on as a protege student; 5 straight months 2 hours a week, face to face...he's exploded my voice. I couldn't have even thought of this song without him.

Thank you guys very much for your support!

Joshua Barnes
THE NIGHT FOX
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 922
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 10:32:45 (permalink)

His vocals sound nice but theres something that doesn't sound right , I think it has to do with the Mic he is singing through .

James
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 12:13:09 (permalink)
I think this is really good. Your at the top of your range though. There were a few notes you didn't quite make. The mix seems to need some brightness to me.

Outstanding work!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 12:57:17 (permalink)

Can someone tell me what you think went into making Steve Perry's voice have that really whispy, airy sound in his vocal? 

if you stood next to steve perry when he sings, he would sound exactly the same. there is no way to fake an incredible voice with studio gadgets.
if you think that rack gear is what makes steve perry sound so good, you could not be more wrong.

obviously, high end gear helps the capture to be as pure as it can be.

to me, the rasp in his voice, sounds like the way a killer singer's voice responds to doing a dozen different takes before you nail the one.
you hear this a lot in the beatles, especially john lennon's voice, the raspier it got, the better it sounded.

don't get caught up in trying to emulate something as groundbreaking as a hit journey song with a million dollar budget and a billion-dollar singer.

just do it your own way, loud and proud!

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

philz
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2462
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 15:23:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Hey Josh- You heard from my buddy Danny on this and that's about as good of advice as you're gonna' get. 

I thought you did a good job on it, and it's a tough, tough tune to do.  As far as the overall sound goes, I happen to have liked you better on your own material that I've heard.  There you just naturally rock, rather than reaching for someone else's sound.
ruralrocker2010
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 15:51:05 (permalink)
Batsbrew; what I'm asking could hardly be construed as asking how a mediochre singer like me could sound exactly like a professional singer like Steve Perry or that the only difference is gear. I can't communicate what I hear but I know enough to know, he doesn't sound like that without something effecting his voice; whether that be an internal use of air, double tracking or external use of effects. Proof...listen to it live. The resonance that you hear is an artifact of double tracks, and an approach. Not singing generally. Don't hear what I'm not saying; I'm not saying anyone can do it, or you can sound just like him if you have xyz gadget, I was simply asking what was making that noise that I hear at the trailing end of the phrases. If you do't hear it, that's fine, but don't assume I mean that Steve Perry is a gimmick singer.

Philz, thank you. I appreciate Danny's feedback and frankly yours as well. I prefer original material, the only reason I did this is because my band plays it live and I wanted to advertise it to get people to the show. I liked doing it because in terms of approach, knowing how to approach steve perry's sound helps me in the pursuit of my own. Just like a guitarist will weezle over the amp, the pedal, the cable, the pick and then finally the licks before they have their 'sound'. I'm doing the same thing with my voice. And...as it were, I learned a few things about my voice. Some pretty valuable things about how to keep the sound open in your upper-mid-voice. Like I said before, this was hard and I can do it better...but this is where I got to with the effort put forward. thank you again.

GuitarPimpa - Thank you for the compliment. But I'm no where near the top of my range. Go pick you up a guitar, and pluck the little e string on the 20th fret; that's the top of my range.
post edited by ruralrocker2010 - 2012/07/12 15:53:14

Joshua Barnes
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 16:19:28 (permalink)
rural-

i knew you knew that. 
heheh

my comment was more directed in .....another direction

.i've heard perry sing this live in concert, he pretty much sounded the same, even singing thru a M249, or a u47, or a Shure 545 or a shure sm58!
heheh

i think he made a concious decision to move from his 'glassy' voice (infinity) to the more rock-oriented raspy voice

http://steveperryfanclub.homestead.com/asessionwithjourney.html

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

ruralrocker2010
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 16:49:13 (permalink)
I'm still convinced that what I'm talking about is the artifact that you can hear at the very end of his passages. I'm not talking about his voice proper, but rather the very unnatural sound that has a ring and airy sound to it, specifically at the END of some of these passages.

But thankyou for clarifying. It means alot. I love this community.

Joshua Barnes
vanblah
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 298
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 16:56:10 (permalink)
You do have a powerful voice.  If you want it to sound raspy and edgy you'll probably have to drop the key in that particular song.  Not much, but you'll need to get it out of that range and into a range where you aren't forcing the top so much. 

Also, you are drawing your vowels out much more than Steve Perry.  Bite down a little bit on those vowels-let the reverb do it.  It would be nice to hear his version without the reverb.

As for what went into getting that sound on that song.  I'd be willing to bet that it's multiple takes, maybe even phrase by phrase.  Probably a whisper track.

Massive parallel compression (and probably multiple compressors at different points in the chain).  Probably multiple microphones (I love combining a dynamic and condenser -- RE20 and any LDC sound great to me).  Again ... reverb.  That reverb is probably a real chamber. 

Having said all that, it was the early 80s so they may have actually kept it very simple.  But he is competing with huge guitars and synths so there's techno-wizadry in it somewhere.  More than a boost in the upper EQ.  Aural Exciter maybe?

You can hear that he's taking some very deep breaths before each phrase.  He probably has huge lungs (I'm blessed in that department, too, but I don't have anwhere near that range).  I almost hear a splice in the vowels on the drawn out phrases (Love Diviiiiii-iiiides)--could be an artifact on Youtube though.
post edited by vanblah - 2012/07/12 16:57:23
ruralrocker2010
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 17:35:10 (permalink)
I agree, I can't take that rasp up into that register. I can nasally distort it, but that doesn't sound as good. That technique is better for hard rock, ac/dc/cornell stuff. And, it's easier to do that than what Steve is doing.

Bite down = here stand, versus, here we staaaaand?

Joshua Barnes
vanblah
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 298
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 17:44:45 (permalink)
ruralrocker2010

Bite down = here stand, versus, here we staaaaand?

Yes.  I don't mean literally bite down (or maybe I do, if it works).  Just don't hold those vowels out so long.

ruralrocker2010
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 18:34:34 (permalink)
OK - I'm convinced I have the answer. It's his breathy tone. I listened to him talk and I can hear that it doesn't talk the same way he sings. (most don't, but some do)

And this is a super highend mic that's grabbing every nuance of his breath. No question now in my mind. But an amazing singer, no matter which way you cut it.

Joshua Barnes
Danny Danzi
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 18:46:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Joshua, I tapped one of my high end resources and this is what I found out that I never knew before. Part of "Steve's sound" came from doing this below.

When they recorded Steve, they used to use a 2-track Dolby processor. In those processors, they had cards...like little circuit board cards. They would literally take out card 3 and card 7 because they claimed to have heard some sort of additional high end presence. From there they'd take the vocal track that was processed through the Dolby gizmo, back into another track on the board and sum it with a compressed signal at about 60/40 mixing the two together. They did this destructively as it was being recorded, not after so they had to be careful. Supposedly this is a trick that was borrowed from producer Keith Olsen. 

How the heck you'd do something like this today with plugs...no clue but this would solve the riddle of that "thing" you're hearing. You might be able to get away with a UAD tape sim plug that literally has bias control etc under the hood of the plug to get some trippy high end type stuff. I've experimented with my Dolby on my old 1/4 inch, 1 inch and 2 inch reel machines...but I've never pulled out any cards. I've never even heard of this technique before...but you better believe it's something I'm going to look into "just because". I know this may not help much but at least we're prying a bit more into how *some* of his sound was achieved....and at least you know now that you're not crazy with the sound you were hearing. Good ears...I sure would have never guessed it was due to something they were doing other than the sound of Steve's voice. I learned something from this too thanks to your observation. :)

-Danny

My Site
Danny Danzi
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 18:48:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
ruralrocker2010

OK - I'm convinced I have the answer. It's his breathy tone. I listened to him talk and I can hear that it doesn't talk the same way he sings. (most don't, but some do)

And this is a super highend mic that's grabbing every nuance of his breath. No question now in my mind. But an amazing singer, no matter which way you cut it.

And yes, as I said before...I still believe this to be part of the sound. But at least we have the other information to add some other elements of what you were hearing. :)

-Danny

My Site
ruralrocker2010
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 20:12:10 (permalink)
I wish I could meet you in person! You've got to be one of the coolest cakewalkers I've come across so far! thank you sir. I was starting to feel a little alienated for breaking some "steve perry" law!

Count One:
1. You sang a cover of journey

Count Two: 
1. You question Mr. Perry's approach.

Summary Judgement:
Death!

Joshua Barnes
pistolpete
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1584
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 21:16:15 (permalink)
Steve Perry still sounds like a woman. His voice is nothing special.
Lynn
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 22:31:04 (permalink)
Let us hear your voice, Pete.
pistolpete

Steve Perry still sounds like a woman. His voice is nothing special.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

ruralrocker2010
Re:Journey - Separate Ways (worlds apart) 2012/07/12 22:42:49 (permalink)
Bahhhhahahahahha nice call Lynn.

Joshua Barnes
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1