Jumping recording

Author
gabrielfran
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2017/04/09 03:55:01 (permalink)

Jumping recording

Hi. When I record a track I do it correctly, but when they are two or more, when playing, you hear jumps, as was the case with viper records.
The last thing I tried was to terminate child processes before recording, but it seems that was not enough. I think something happens with the RAM, since the consumption according to the Task Manager (windows) exceeds 50% when having the Sonar in operation.
Not being able to record more than one track simultaneously, leaves me sad. I do not know if the problem is due to Sonar, to the configuration of my equipment, or to the audio board (Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56).
If someone told me where to begin to clarify this matter, I would be more than grateful.
My apologies if there is a language problem, I am using Google Translate, my language is Spanish.
A cordial greeting to everyone.

9 Replies Related Threads

gabrielfran
    Re: Jumping recording 2017/04/09 22:03:41 (permalink)
    Hi. In response to my problem, I can say that apparently it has been resolved favorably. I just switched ASIO over to WDM and it looks like it works normally. I hope it can be of help to someone.
    Greetings and thanks!
    gabrielfran
    Re: Jumping recording 2017/04/14 18:05:23 (permalink)
    Sorry for the contradictory information, but this issue seems to be erratic.
    The problem persists! 
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Jumping recording 2017/04/14 19:20:25 (permalink)
    You should:

1) Provide your system specifications, including audio interface details.
    2) Run LatencyMon on your PC to determine if there are any obvious problems with your PC.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    gabrielfran
    Re: Jumping recording 2017/04/18 01:09:36 (permalink)
    [<font][<font]Dcumpian, muchas gracias por su respuesta. [<font]A medida que leía, hay un conflicto entre la tarjeta de sonido (Focusrite Saffire Líquido 56) y la conectividad con el ordenador. [<font]Estoy a punto de instalar una tarjeta PCI con puerto 1394a y ver si el problema se resuelve. [<font]Cuando tengo el resultado, le informaré aquí. [<font]Saludos y gracias de nuevo!
    [<font][<font]Lo siento por el retraso en mi respuesta! 
    post edited by gabrielfran - 2017/04/18 23:57:29
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Jumping recording 2017/04/18 13:00:17 (permalink)
    You will also want to make sure that you don't have effects loaded into the project that are really designed to be used during mixing, and not during recording.  Things like Convoluted Reverb effects use something called 'Look-Ahead' processing to do their thing, and this adds massive latency.  High latency is fine during mixing, because you can (and should) set the ASIO Buffer Size nice and large during mixing - it will take a few moments for playback to start, but since you are not recording at that point, it is fine.  Conversely, during recording, you want your ASIO Buffer Size to be pretty small - I leave mine set to 128, though I could go lower, but performance at 128 is fine on my system, with no noticeable lag.

You can quickly get an idea of the impact of your effects have on performance, by toggling the effects Off or On, and then recording.  To do this, hit the letter 'E' on your computer keyboard, and that acts to Bypass All Effects, while hitting it again will restore effects processing.  So try to bypass effects, then record, and see if your recording multiple tracks works better.  If so, then you know that one or more of the effects you have loaded are causing the issues, and you can either swap the offending ones out for different ones that don't add a bunch of latency, OR you can just use the Bypass All Effects toggle during recording, turning the effects processing back on once finished recording.

Please DO list your computer specs and what effects you have loaded into one of these projects where these issues are occurring, and also list your Sample Rate and Sonar-reported latency values.

Lastly, even if the effects are not the issue - if you have your ASIO Buffer Size set too small, that too can make your CPU or interface work too hard.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    gabrielfran
    Re: Jumping recording 2017/04/18 23:12:17 (permalink)

Robert_e_bone, very kind in your contribution! Thank you!
    I'm using WDM, which gives me less conflicts than ASIO. I use high latency, that is, in a safe way. My problem I have it without loading effects. I have setup in 44100/24.
    I'm hoping I get a PCI card that is recommended by the manufacturer of my audio card, which is the only one I recommend for windows 10. So it could be that the whole problem is solved. I hope so!!!
    A cordial greeting and again I am very grateful for the interest in helping me!
    And I repeat something I have already said: my apologies for the strange use of the language, I am using the Google translator.
    [<font][<font] 
    post edited by gabrielfran - 2017/04/18 23:56:25
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Jumping recording 2017/04/26 19:37:00 (permalink)
    1) Is it possible you have ASIO4ALL on your computer?  Even if not deliberately specifying it, I believe Sonar will pick it up alphabetically when switching to ASIO mode, as it begins with 'A'.

2)  When specifying ASIO driver mode, please post the Sonar-reported latency values.

3) What is the exact driver version you have installed for your audio interface?  AND, what is the exact model of the interface?

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    gabrielfran
    Re: Jumping recording 2017/04/26 22:26:05 (permalink)
    Hello, Robert. I do not have ASIO4all, I do not have Sonar configured in ASIO, I have it WDM. No matter what latency, the result was always bad. But that changed.
    My audio card is Focusrite Saffire Liquid 56. I had a VIA port, which disabled and installed Focusrite: Texas Instruments XIO2213B.
    The same failure continued. A friend recommended defragmenting the HD and I did, when I noticed that by default, my Windows 10 automatically defragmented once a week. I changed that configuration and left it in manual.
    From that moment, Sonar began to record correctly. I tested with 8 tracks simultaneously for over 10 minutes. That was yesterday.
    So I'm happy and I hope that my experience can serve someone. Today I will continue to try. Today I was able to extend my 4Gb RAM that I had at 8Gb, so I hope to continue having good results.
    Thank you very much for your help and health for all !! 
    gabrielfran
    Re: Jumping recording 2017/06/24 18:26:56 (permalink)
    I continue with the problem. Now I read on the manufacturer's page of my board, which does not recommend the fireware port I recommended.
    "Although we previously also recommended VIA chip sets and the Texas Instruments XIO2200A chipset we have seen more problems of incompatibility with these cards since the release of Windows 10 and I no longer recommend them."
    Https://support.focusrite...ith-the-Saffire-range-
    I put it to in case it can be useful for someone. Greetings to all.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1