Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help

Author
Dofka
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30
2014/04/20 13:59:04 (permalink)

Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help

Just put a new Computer together as my old Quadcore was heading into it's 6th year.

The new computer is having some problems. Suddenly I'll get a spike in Disk Warning. Every so often dropouts?
Also now I have noise in my monitors, some when I move the mouse around?

Old system(outdated) was XP Pro64 bit
Asus Mobo
AMD Quadcore Processor
8GB DDR2 Ram
RME Multiface II
Sonar Producer 8.3.1

New system should be so much better, I think?
Win7 (64bit)
ASUS M5A97 I updated Bios
AMD FX6350 3.9/4.2GHZ  6 core CPU
8GB Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 1600MHZ

Sonar Producer 8.3.1 - installed both 32bit and 64bit
Gforce GT 630 Graphics 2048MB DDR3
RME Multiface II

Tried different drivers
Tried all different Buffer i/o and w Asio drivers 64/128/256/256/512/1024
Seems everything runs better with ASIO drivers

I've tweaked Windows one thing at a time to see if it would help.

I'm suspecting it may be a slow hard drive?
Maybe it's Win7?

I have some sticks of G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3Ram(16GB total) I'm going to swap out today and see if it helps?
Although the  G.Skill Ripjaws Ram is only 1333MHZ as opposed to the 1600MHZ with the Patriot Viper Xtreme Ram I have installed

Not sure to do with the chirping noise and sounds when I'm not playing audio and these Disk Warnings are killing me.

I'd like to upgrade Sonar to the latest version but I need to iron out these troubles first

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

post edited by Dofka - 2014/04/20 14:04:12

\m/(><)\m/

10 Replies Related Threads

tomixornot
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help 2014/04/20 15:34:57 (permalink)
    What is your HDD rpm ? Works fine for 7200, may have problem for 5400 (green drives may be of slower speed).

Check if the following tweak helps ?
    - select my computer
    - right click on the main drive sonar is storing audio files, select Properties
    - below the disk capacity chart is an option to 'Allow files on this drive...' to be indexed. Uncheck this option.

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
    - ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
    - Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
    Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
    - Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help 2014/04/20 15:43:59 (permalink)
    Have you run the DPCLAT test.. it sounds like you need to optimize the new computer and bring the back ground processes under control. Also make sure you have all your drivers up to date, especially the video card,, those are often to blame. Did you install everything as administrator? that also is recommended. 
    http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Dofka
    Re: Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help 2014/04/21 03:18:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the informative feedback!

Unchecking the Files Index did help, a little.
    However, It's still not right. My 5 year old system annihilated this one!

Tonight my project was very simple, I'm running True Pianos, EZ Drummer,
    and 1 stereo audio track. When I hit play, for just a second, I actually get a
    little hour glass before it plays? A couple times, NOT RESPONDING. So frustrating.
    I tried to replace my 8GB Viper XTreme DDR3 1600MHZ Ram with 16GB G.Skills DDR3 1333MHZ Ram and no difference.

I'm going to try another video card tomorrow.

And what's this noise in my speakers now? I never had that? Noisy Hard Drive maybe?

I'm suspect to this WD Blue Drive. I think it may be the culprit. Or maybe it's Win 7 Ultimate,
    or maybe this motherboard is meant to be, or maybe the 6 core processor isn't good for Sonar?
    Ugggh, hahaha...

On the Western Digital Site it says
    WD Blue - Solid Performance for Everyday Computing
    WD BLACK - Maximum performance

One of the WD forms stated
    Blacks perform the best of the WDs in day to day desktop use.
    Greens are dogs. Blues don't really come close to Blacks. 
    SSD performs even better.

\m/(><)\m/
    Cactus Music
    Re: Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help 2014/04/21 11:52:06 (permalink)
    Did you run the DPCLAAT test? 
    It is almost mandatory in my opinion. If you have red spikes you need to deal with it first. 

Your having a either a background processing issue or you have still not got your ASIO drivers installed correctly. I see trouble coming when people start randomly un-installing and re-installing drivers and components.  You registry is a mess by now.  

You want to use a 7200 RPM Hard drive for your audio storage. Blue is good. Green is bad. 

Video cards sometimes interfere if they have audio drivers (I think). Make sure there are no other audio drivers running, disable them and any wireless internet cards. Sometimes with a new computer Windows Update is running overtime and will suck up your processing. Make sure all updates are finished and then turn updates off. You need to take control of the machine. 
    But until you run the DPCLAT test you are working blind. 

post edited by Cactus Music - 2014/04/21 11:53:31

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Dofka
    Re: Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help 2014/04/22 13:26:52 (permalink)
    I did not run DPCLAAT test. I'm not online at the studio and I don't feel comfortable installing more software.

I removed drivers from graphic card, reinstalled with just the drivers, none of the 3D stuff or additional add ons.
    Helped a wee little.

I noticed when I am playing back, in the large transport view, only 4 of my six cores are actively working.
    Here's a video. And it seems stange my CPU running so sparatic 20% then 37% etc. The project is very basic,
    3 midi tracks, 3 audio tracks.
    This forum will not let me post links to my YouTube video of this but you can search this title In YouTube and see
    6 core AMD CPU and only 4 cores are working in Sonar

Here's what I used to do to enable all cores in my quadcore. Tried the same for this new 6 core and only 4 are working.
    Even in a more demanding project file.

And in YouTube check this one out

Cakewalk Sonar Multi-Core, Quad-core CPU help
    post edited by Dofka - 2014/04/22 13:29:41

\m/(><)\m/
    Cactus Music
    Re: Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help 2014/04/22 22:59:21 (permalink)
    The Dpclat software is 100% safe and used by almost everyone who uses a computer for audio.. You don't believe me go ask on another audio form like gear slutz.  It actually does not install but runs from the file you download, it is super small in size. My DAW is never on the internet, I would imagine you own a USB thumb drive. You can run the DPCLAT utility directly from a thumb drive it need not be installed on you drives but I highly recommend you do as you'll find it indispensable when trouble shooting.. look at how much hassle you are going though when I have offered you a solution. I still might be wrong and you'll run the test and find your in the green "safe " zone but until you at least try this very common test for audio you are still fishing without bait. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Dofka
    Re: Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help 2014/05/09 14:53:25 (permalink)
    I am back in gear.
    Not certain which of the following moves fixed EVERYTHING but I'm flying now.
    *Bought a WD Black Drive.
    *Clean Install Win7 and did all crucial updates
    *Replaced the GEFORCE GT630 video card, which I thought would be great with 2048MB of DDR3?
    However, it had some HD Audio device that showed up in device manager, even when disabled. It was really funky.
    *Installed all software with right click as administrator. Why would this make a difference? Don't know but I was told to do it this way and can't remember if I did it that way with previous install?
    *Installed insulation washers/rings on screws securing Motherboard to case. Previously I used the screws that came with the motherboard and there were no insulation washers. The laser gun noises in monitors are now gone. This could be a factor.
    * I now upgraded to X3e Producer
    * So re-registering all the serials and what not was a royal pain but I couldn't take it running, just ok.

Also, I didn't do much tweaking and It's flying with all 6 cores and plenty of room for processing. Woo Hoo!

Now the learning curve with X3. I like some of the new features with X3. But some of the little things I can't find like changing Sound On Sound(default, why is this default) to Overwrite. And it's not in the help files. The choice of Inserting Tempo or Changing tempo in a project, can't find ... Just that little tempo button at the top? Small little basics, I can't seem to figure out, but I'm digging in none the less.

P.S. I like EZ Drummer better than Addictive Drums. But I'm sure A.D. will come in handy for something down the line.

\m/(><)\m/
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help 2014/05/09 15:07:29 (permalink)
    The settings in the Project section of Preferences are per-project settings. To have new projects reflect changes in the Project section, make the changes to the project templates. By default, new projects use the Normal.cwt template.

To insert tempo changes use either Project > Insert Tempo Change or Views > Tempo

In the future consider posting in the X Series forum. This forum is for older pre-X Series versions of SONAR.
    Dofka
    Re: Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help 2014/05/09 15:54:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the "insert tempo" help scook! How about Sound On Sound and Overwrite options?

I posted here initially because I was using Sonar 8.3 Producer.

\m/(><)\m/
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Just Put New Computer Together, New System not running as well as old : ( Help 2014/05/09 16:08:41 (permalink)
    Dofka
    How about Sound On Sound and Overwrite options?

These are per-project settings, this is how to deal with them
    scook
    The settings in the Project section of Preferences are per-project settings. To have new projects reflect changes in the Project section, make the changes to the project templates. By default, new projects use the Normal.cwt template.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1