Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
2010/07/11 10:45:48 (permalink)

Just So Long As You Are Here With Me

Hello on this most beautiful summer morning,

I had sent this song to other, more qualified voices, to give it wings but i guess it's stuck with Tony Chauvanist doing vocals.   He pulled through relatively unscathed as the jumper cables weren't plugged in.
This is a song I wrote for a kind of play/opera many moons ago and always thought it was a valid endeavor.
I am hoping you find some enjoyment in it as there are so many pearls on this forum awaiting your ears.

Tony Chauvanist~Vocals
Jaspar Katinki~Casio and banged up old upright
Bert Swerl~ Acoustic Guitar
Creighton Hack~ Bass
Firth Thud~ Drums

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=826274&songID=9286668
Just So Long As You Are Here With Me

Thank you, kindly!

the management
post edited by No How - 2010/07/11 11:29:28

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull

31 Replies Related Threads

rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/11 13:03:37 (permalink)
    Rick

While there is nothing wrong with Tony's vocals, it doesn't seem to fit this piece.

But the back-up vox are great!

Pearls come in all shapes and sizes so this one is still a pearl.

Nice work

Ron
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/11 13:12:01 (permalink)
    I think Tony's vocals are perfect for this song.  Too loud and could be back a little with some effects to soften it a bit.  Dude, this is Gent music and your voice fits Gent music perfectly.  I wish I could sing something like this but it's out of my league.  The whole mix seems hot in my phones.  This is a very cool tune and you have the perfect people(person) doing it. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/11 21:57:40 (permalink)
    Complexly feminine ...
    and most sensitive
    and sweet ...
    an extremely delectable performance to really get under her skin!

... another 'convincing' love song lulling her during her potential doubts and fears

... making her 'invent' more questions and then answering them for her.

But methinks she'll have to listen to it many times ... to squeeze out every morsel of poetic love from this.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/11 22:08:21 (permalink)
    I like the way the guitar suggests percussion just before the actual percussion appears. Sure, it has a sort of stage feel to it. As far as the vox: keep singing, brother. I used to cause my friends (friends, mind you!) to leave the room. Now I've improved so much.......well, they don't leave anyway. Good tune.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    tomjeff76
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/12 00:16:13 (permalink)
    Another gem from you. Loved it.

TomJeff

My Songs

Yamaha MM6
    Line 6 Tone Port UX2
    Korg PadKontrol
    Music Creator 4
    EZDrummer
    danbob
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/12 00:24:26 (permalink)
    I like the tune, and the sound.  

It's been said the vox might not suit the piece ... i reckon they could be made to fit better; they seem to out front and might be processed differently, giving the feeling that they don't belong.  Bring them down, blend them in, and then I'd say they fit.  I like the sound of the vocalist and his style; imagine if he did a bit of work on voice control (concentrating on strong foundations) ... it'd be a voice to envy.

But, cool song.  I'd love to hear 'version 2', if you're that way inclined.

Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/13 12:22:28 (permalink)
    I like that ELP sounding intro Rick! The only thing I could think of is that you must get yerself in trouble with the missus all the time and have to come up with these romantic tunes to bail out.... I like your unique voice and compositions and as always, a way with the lyrics. You're a creative soul and never lose that edge. I did enjoy this!

Larry
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/13 12:29:43 (permalink)
    I love the composition of this, Rick. Quirky, push pull rhythms, and a gravelly voiced lead vocal. I would mix it a lot differently, and put a big sheen on the whole thing, but I do dig what you went for here.
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/13 16:36:40 (permalink)
    Rick, this is really cool....I love the quirky beat, if that makes any sense. 
    No How
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/13 18:15:49 (permalink)
    Hi Ron,
    thanks for the listen and comments!

Warren,
    Tony is tickled pink!  I did lower the lead vocal and also a couple other tweaks along with lowering the gain.  Thank you for the right on notes and the heartfelt support that always makes me shine.

Philip,
    Yes, very feminine song.   I pitched to a female but i guess it missed the strike zone.  It would sound better with a female voice.  The heels weren't that bad but the nylons kept tearing.   I better not ruin them as I've a whole bunch of songs meant for female voices.  thanks for the listen!

Mark,
    Thanks for the listen and vote of confidence.   I'll keep at it until they close the lid.

TomJeff,
    I do thank you kindly!!!

danbob,
    I just uploaded a new mix per yours and other's suggestions.   i brought vox back a bit and changed a bit of the vocal eq and warmth.   Thank you for the listen and helpful notes!

Larry,
    Trouble.  Yes.  Lots.  Never a lack of lyric 'opportunities'.   Thank you for the ears,sir and I hope you're up and running again.

James,
    I'm reading between your lines and messing a bit with my mix.  I added a smidge comp on the master buss, brought up bgv, boosted bass a lot, and took some analogue mud off.  I hope this provides more sheen.   I'd appreciate you telling me yes or no as you can spot it instantly.
    thank you!

Janet,
    quirky beat is okay by me although i never thought of it that way.  Thank you!

s o n g s

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/13 18:25:18 (permalink)
    OK, quirky wasn't the right word.  Cool, definite?  Something.  Anyway, it was good.

Funny....I have a few songs for females and one for a male too.  I wish nylons and heels would help..... For the female ones I mean.  lol
    danbob
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/13 18:30:31 (permalink)
    Yep, massive improvement, relative instrument levels and feel all works for me now. It means the unique backing tracks are now part of the song, which I reckon for this style of thing, is really important. Nice work.

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/13 18:42:26 (permalink)
    Very cool Rick... Always fun, always creative...
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/13 18:50:58 (permalink)
    Better, you are getting there. Bass needs more bottom and less low mids. Actually, overall the mids over-modulate quite a bit when you are singing. Your vocal is dead in the middle and that is part of the problem. Here is a cool technique I came up with to get your voice out on the edges a bit more:
    1. Of course, start with sending your vocals to a "vocals" buss
    2. Insert a send to a new buss, "wide vocals", and make sure it says Pre and not Post
    3. On the "wide vocals" buss, insert an eq and dig out the middle, say a good -5 to -8db at 1.2khz with a wide q. Then after that, put on a widener, like Channel Tools or Voxengo's free Stereo Touch. This should be set relatively low.
    4. Output both busses to a new buss, "Vocal Sum"
    5. Get a good level between the two busses. Sculpt out the original vocal buss to taste, maybe some reverb as well
    6. Voila! Good power and presence in the middle, clear annunciation on the sides, and a wider representation 

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/14 14:39:34 (permalink)

Although this would work as part of a theatrical score it really stands up on it's own as a well crafted song.

There's nothing I don't like about your arrangement and execution here.

This track is a sheer delightful delicacy and scores very high on the 'Rickter' Scale.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James' vocal treatment tip just there sounds like fun too I may play around with that technique myself.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/07/14 14:42:15

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/14 15:43:52 (permalink)
    Rick, this is great and unexpected and I love those silly little flourishes thoughout.  Keeps it very quirky and fun. 

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    No How
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/14 18:17:23 (permalink)
    Janet,.....Yes, try it...it works!

Hello danbob,...Thanks popping back in to hear the update.  I appreciate it immensly.  There really is no other gauge.

Hey Frank, .......thanks for having a listen.  Much appreciated.

James,.......awesome suggestions here....bingo....i did the sum and it reaped some rich fruit IMO.  I also adjusted eq according to your impeccable notes.
    Thank you immensly!

Hello Jon,........i'm so glad you like this little slice of peach pie as i'm used to dishing out two-day-ol'-beef-stew.   I kinda liked playing leslie gore for a few hours. Thank you and i really love that new tune...especially tickled to hear you getting mileage out of that mic.

Julibee,......so nice of you to come by and have an earfull.   Makes me very happy you like this song.  I've gotten some very good notes on this thread that have taken it up quite a few notches.  thank you!!! 

post edited by No How - 2010/07/14 18:18:33

s o n g s

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/14 18:21:19 (permalink)
    Good one No How, well done on that!
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/14 21:20:10 (permalink)
    Another treat to which to listen.  Creative and ya, a wee bit quirky.  It is that touch of quirky that makes this such a treat for listening.  The vocals are terrific --- I wish I had the capability of reaching those high notes.
    Congratulations on a "gem" of a song and please relay my complements to the boys in the band for a wonderful performance.

Freddy J
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/14 22:08:56 (permalink)
    I meant the girl would be attracted to this more than us macho entiites.  For a girl to sing this ... perhaps that too.

2nd listen ... about as candy sweet and delicious as the 1st.  But ...

TBH, I'm a little concerned you didn't memorize the lyrics when you sung this.  That's a violation of Mark Baxter's 19th ammendment of the Mexican constitution.

Don't feel bad!  I'm more guilty!  I never memorize lyrics!  And my 'next love song' is so ad-hoc I don't even know what I sung and half the words are gibberish!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/15 08:13:22 (permalink)
    I've always been a fan of your work and this is yet another one of those songs that I really enjoyed.  There is only two suggestions I'll make.  1) I hear a bit of mud in the low mids of the lead vocals that I think needs some subtractive eqing to clear that up. 2) I'd suggest running the lead vocals through Melodyne just to tighten up the pitch.  It is a very well constructed piece of work and those minor pitch problems distract this great material.

Again, I really enjoyed the song and the mix.  Another winner for me.  Can't wait to hear the next!

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/15 12:06:05 (permalink)
    that was neat ++++1
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/15 20:15:30 (permalink)
    As always Rick.... This is another that could only come from you! Laid-back but Quirky none-the-less. Great stuff!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/15 21:17:11 (permalink)
    I liked every thing: the vocals, the words, the music..The unusual sounds and accomp make it unique. All sounds very well placed..It reminded me of the pop opera Hair, but this is very different.

Thanks for posting it.
    No How
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/16 08:04:33 (permalink)
    Hello Matt, .....nice to see you around!   Thank you for the listen and comments!

Freddy,...........I have conveyed your support to the band and they're happy as can be.  Thanks for the listen and kind words.

Philip,....if you'll scroll on down you'll find ammendment 86 that says "...in lieu of the hour of the night and the compramised stature of the performer under the weight of his/her succumbing to one too many glasses of the mighty red wine, he/she is temporarily allowed a cheat sheet of lyric to save face and get to bed before the bright mexican sun rises......"
    Thank you for the return listen and comments!

Tom,......Great to have you hear.    I love your notes....i found a freebee pitch fixer and used it on lead vox.   I hope it makes a difference (and not to visibly).
    Thank you immensly for the listen!

BIAB,........Thank you kindly!!!

TAP,....I'm glad you had a listen....THank you very much!

NoKey,..............I love hearing these things.   Makes me want to do another song.  I appreciate the listen and supportive words.

s o n g s

darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/16 09:23:12 (permalink)
    Nice composition, although I agree that the mix could stand a little tweak, although I can't really suggest where to start.

Happy little tune, I liked it.

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/20 20:18:02 (permalink)
    Hi Rick,

I listened to this awhile ago but didn't have time to comment

so I'm glad I caught it before it fell off the boards.

Cool song, as always...I love the intro and how all

parts (synth, guitar, percussion, vox) complement each other.

Nice lyrics, too!

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    princecheck13
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/23 09:07:25 (permalink)
    Well, in the immediate sense, because, I do not really want to cause a car wreck, get thrown in jail or find myself unable to earn a living. In the wider sense, I do not fancy anarchy. I do have to live in the world, you know.

We must be the change we want to see
    No How
    Re:Just So Long As You Are Here With Me 2010/07/23 09:16:02 (permalink)
    princecheck13

Well, in the immediate sense, because, I do not really want to cause a car wreck, get thrown in jail or find myself unable to earn a living. In the wider sense, I do not fancy anarchy. I do have to live in the world, you know.

My coffee is not kicking in.  Did i miss something.......again?

s o n g s

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1