Just curious for some feedback...

Author
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
2012/02/27 17:45:48 (permalink)

Just curious for some feedback...

Hey folks!

I'm keeping busy these days producing the next Serenity Trace album and we put together this track that seriously stands out from the rest of them. So, I've put up a secret link to it here: http://soundcloud.com/mariush-2/the-beats-2012/s-hom6n

and I'm not wondering about the mix. It's horrible! Squashed and dreadful - so what I am curious about is what you think of the song it self, even if you think it sucks! The VO is a little random still and some synths are also a little out of control. But this will be better. Also, the vocals on the start is just the demo vocals. It will be re-done before it goes to mix.

If you take the time and listen to it with a comment or two on it I would really appreciate it

BTW, this song is by a severly aggressive metal band. It should surprise their fans

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records

24 Replies Related Threads

notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/27 18:39:45 (permalink)
    Well... that was interesting... I'm not remotely qualified to critique this, but I do acknowledge the high skill level required to produce  something like this... there is a lot going here... it should be very interesting to hear how this develops... Good luck...
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/27 19:07:41 (permalink)
    well, I'm on a notebook, so please "with a grain of salt?" the high stringy/paddy synths in the 1:20s and other spots seem a little too out front. And when the "what I will call background vocal part?" is there, you may need to do some EQ carves, and or try to make those parts a little more understandable? I'm talking like, the death metal part that starts around 3:11? and the speaking, I couldn't really hear it over the WOS? And the soft vox in the begining? I may bring that out/up a bit.

The song was interesting, not something I would normally listen to/hear. It feels a bit "occupyish?" like a protest song.

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    ProjectM
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/27 20:16:47 (permalink)
    Hey guys!

Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Bandontherun - I know, the mix is not where it should be It's a mess but there is someone much more skilled who will mix it so I'm quite certain it will be a lot better when it's done. Funny you mention the protest thing. It was meant to have that feel to it, but rather than being a F**k the system kind of thing it's all about seizing your future and making something out of your self on your own terms. Glad you found it interesting.

Notnat - Thanks for your comment. It may be a little too busy in places and I'm quite sure I'll remove a lot of the excess frequencies. I'll make sure to post the finished version when it's been mixed and all the sound design is in place

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/27 20:18:15 (permalink)
    Listening on cans..... pretty cool.... it sure has a variety of things in it.

Sounds good to me. The VO is interesting. With DM in the background. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/27 20:37:31 (permalink)
    I honestly cannot critique this.

It sounds all over the place, and that may be just what you want. I sadly don't detect any genius in this, sorry.

The mix is unfinished, so I can't comment on it.
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 11:30:41 (permalink)
    This reminds me of some of my own  pieces that have so many elements that it takes time to sort them out and let each piece find its own place in the mix.  Some people eschew wide panning, but a piece like this calls out for it.  Once each part finds a place in the sonic spectrum,  EQ is not as necessary.  As for the song itself, it is somewhat eclectic so it's hard to call.  Let us hear it after you get a mix you like.  It's worth taking the time to get it right because sometimes these projects turn into gems when done right.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    ProjectM
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 11:48:54 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker - Thanks for your kind comment. this probably sounds best on cans as it is now That's how it was "mixed"

Jamesyoyo - Thank you for your honest feedback. I get your point and have already started to sort things out here. Hopefully our genius will shine through when I'm done I'm intending to have it a little more down to earth and focused than what it already is. Thanks for taking the time to listen to it

Lynn - Thanks for that. EQ-ing will be a part of the sound design on this piece but as soon as all the elements are in place it will be just a matter of placing it for sure. ATM there are a heap of stuff that makes up the basis of the song. First step is to pick out the two synth bits that make up the sound and make them work with the bass and drums and then blend everything else in from there. It's already sounding a lot better. Unfortunately I won't be able to show you this when it's mixed by whomever is mixing it ( I don't think I'll be alowed to post it in a forum), but my final version pre-mix will definitely be asking for some feedback real soon

Thank you all for taking the time to listen! I really appreciate your feedback!
    post edited by ProjectM - 2012/02/28 11:50:06

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 11:51:21 (permalink)

a deaf man could compose a better song 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

ProjectM
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 11:53:23 (permalink)
    Sheesh.. oh well. that's what you get for puting yourself out there I guess.

thanks for your comment!

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 11:57:54 (permalink)
    ProjectM

Sheesh.. oh well. that's what you get for puting yourself out there I guess.

thanks for your comment!

I am just kidding - 

it was "ok"

if you are deaf AND have no natural ability for music 

that's what I meant 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

ProjectM
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 11:59:12 (permalink)
    ???

Whatever...

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 12:17:24 (permalink)
    Hi Marius, interesting tune for a metal band.  Not to sure about the ending after 3:40, sounds a bit "simple". Like the idea of the spoken voice.

Rik
    ProjectM
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 12:22:56 (permalink)
    Hey Rik!

Thanks for that. yeah, the ending is to make it mix-friendly for DJ's - a metal head can dream, can't he? It's not certain it will stay that way.

just curious - and pardon my lacking in English understanding sometimes. when you say

"Not to sure about the ending after 3:40, sounds a bit "simple". Like the idea of the spoken voice"

Do you mean the ending sounds simple, just like the idea of the spoken voice is simple? Too simple? Or do you mean you like the idea of the spoken voice?

Sorry for being confused, but that would be crucial to know

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    morenoise
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 12:29:00 (permalink)
    Hi Marius, I should have said : I like the idea of the spoken voice.  The ending sounds a bit simple to me, the synth sounds very basic to me.

Rik
    ProjectM
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 12:32:09 (permalink)
    Ah, cool. He he, thanks for clearing that up. I hear ya! Good thing you like the idea of the spoken voice. That's the part we kind of lean on for the progress and message in the song but we're not sure if we're going to be able to make it cool enough. That's why I asked.

Thanks for your time and comment - it's noted and taken into concideration

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Ian Ferrin
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 19:22:10 (permalink)
    This sounds pretty good to me.  I like the heavily compressed female voice.

The only thing that sounds a little un-pro to my ears is that some of the drums are a little too harsh.  I recently fixed something like this in a mix of mine by running three stacked instances of the cakewalk tape-sim.  It's an old plugin, but it worked.

This really sounds good.  It's got a great energy.  Very positive sounding track.

Peace,

Ian
    post edited by Ian Ferrin - 2012/02/28 19:23:35

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
    Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
    ProjectM
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 19:52:19 (permalink)
    Hey Ian!

Thanks for listening in and your nice comment.

No the VO is not by me - it's by a very dear friend of mine from Toronto. Her name is Fallon Bowman and is known in the metal scene. I find her voice to be excellent for this kind of stuff so we recorded her ramblings when she came to visit a while ago and thought it could be usefull here. We wanted something sounding authenticly American English and our Norwenglish just wouldn't cut it

This was mixed on cans so I would assume it sounds harsh. But that will probably be remedied when it's going through the final mix. I've never tried the Tape-sim properly. could be a cool experiment. Thanks for the tip!

I'm glad you found it positive. Despite it's riotness it's supposed to be positive.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks for taking the time!

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 20:29:37 (permalink)
    Very artistic, I really enjoyed it. Much more musical than your average urban. I like the timbres used but think some of the lead solo syth could use some dirtying up and effects possibly delay. I think the drums could use a bit of beefing up. Possibly add an additional hip-hop kick drum with some sub-low? Really cool though

Me

Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/28 23:09:49 (permalink)
    Hi
    First verse lyric too soft.
    Bring out rhythm track more.  It's top heavy now
    Minimize narrative.
    Love overall arrangement but too synth heavy - needs more bass!
    Like the concept
    Synth at end is not as effective as ending the song just before it.
    This is cool and my comments are from an older guy's perspective.

Best,
    Rim

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/29 03:59:17 (permalink)
    Hi,Marius

This is a very unique blend of a few different styles and genres, but overall, I think it's modern sounding and kind of cool!  Very different, and, as Grant mentioned, very artistic.

Nice work, have a great day!
    Bob
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/29 07:38:38 (permalink)
    I SEE SOME FOLKS DON'T LIKE YOUR TRACK, WHICH IS KIND OF A BUMMER BECAUSE I THINK IT KICKS AZZ IN A BIG WAY.

String Jammer
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/29 14:45:22 (permalink)
    As you've stated - it needs some work yet, but some good ideas and I think I can see what your aiming for. I always like when people step out of their comfort zone and surprise you with something different. Reminded me of this ....hothead
    DigiBiu
    • Total Posts : 1053
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/29 16:24:45 (permalink)
    Man oh man, I loved this. I do think it was a little "all over the place", but it just makes a laid back track a little more Manic. I didn't love the female vocal, but I liked the idea. To me, it would sound better if you had that automated female voice like you hear when you call customer service, or something like that. I do see the genious shining through this when you are done with it.
    And I mostly do country/gospel.  Great Job!!

http://digitalbayoustudios.com/
    https://soundcloud.com/digibiu
    David Stuckey
    Sonar X3 Producer ,Windows 7 64bit ,6G Ram, Quad Core 2.6,3 1 UAD 2 card, 4 UAD-1 Cards, 2 Dell 24" LCD, ADAM ANF10, Avantones, Crown Power Amp, Great River ME-1, UA Solo/610, Distressor,Presonus ADL600,, RNC, RNLA, 2 PBC-6a, JoeMeek MC2, ART Pro Channel, Yamaha MO8,Korg Triton,M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, Custom Shop Fender Twin, 76 Randall Tube Amp, Custom Blue Runner Tube Amp,
    Lynx Aurora 8 FW
    Apogee AD8000 SE
    MixedLogic M24 Control Surface
    Yamaha Pro Mix 01
    ProjectM
    Re:Just curious for some feedback... 2012/02/29 18:28:36 (permalink)
    Ohgrant - Thanks for your kind comments and your suggestions, especially the ones on the synths. I will try dirty. Should be interesting. I suppose the drums will be beefier than your average Wellington when the mixer is done with this. It is a drum song so I would imagine the focus will be there. Good tip with the sub, will try that

Rimshot - thanks for checking it out. Good points for mix and I will take note of your comments. I will also try ending it sooner like you suggest. Cheers! And age doesn't matter when it comes to music so your input is highly valued even if you're over 25 years of age

Bob - thanks for your kind words. It really strengthen my faith into the song

Scottytunes -  LOL, thanks for your awesome comment. Well, not everyone can like it, but I am glad you do

Paulo - Thanks for taking the time to listen. Yes, a lot of work is still to be done. I'll get around to it next week I hope and will post a new preview of the track. Yeah, we try to push out boundaries quite a lot with this but still have a kick ass song to show the fans

Digibiu - Thank you so much for the comment. And that's an interesting point of view. Yeah, I guess it could get too laid back if we went "by the book" with this. I'm not sure how we're going to sort out the voice yet but the phone thing is a good point. There's no chance of re-recording anything with this girl before the deadline but perhaps we could make it a little more answering machine or phone interview-ish or something. We'll definitely strive to take it outside of a musical context and have it sound sampled. If it doesn't work, maybe we try the idea of making a automated voice thing for it. Thanks! We'll see if there's a genius in there somewhere in the end, thank you for your kind words
    post edited by ProjectM - 2012/02/29 18:30:49

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1