Just received THE BIBLE: Mastering Audio

Author
Sonic the Hedgehog
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 733
2009/03/05 15:59:23 (permalink)

Just received THE BIBLE: Mastering Audio

After two months wait(?) I finally received Mastering Audio: The Art And The Science by Bob Katz. I've always been somewhat of a purist when it comes to this subject and having read many articles by Mr. Katz over the years, I've finally decided to get this book as a reference guide. Anyone else here have read it?

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler

4 Replies Related Threads

ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Just received THE BIBLE: Mastering Audio 2009/03/05 21:38:12 (permalink)
    Many have. I borrowed it from the library last year, after reading so much praise.

The main take-away (for me) was the much heralded 'K' monitoring system, and his years-long stance on avoiding the loudness wars.

I will warn you, much of the book is a bit technical. There were many passages that either "went a bit over my head" or at least, were hard to translate in to practical application in my home studio.

But, a great and highly endorsed read.

Best,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Just received THE BIBLE: Mastering Audio 2009/03/06 00:19:53 (permalink)
    I will warn you, much of the book is a bit technical. There were many passages that either "went a bit over my head" or at least, were hard to translate in to practical application in my home studio.

Definitely agree with you on that. I should re read it now, its been awhile.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: Just received THE BIBLE: Mastering Audio 2009/03/06 01:20:37 (permalink)

Indeed, one of the main reasons for my getting this book is precisely for the technical aspects. I've done a lot of mastering already, but obviously I'm no Bob Katz so I'm hoping this book will strengthen that side. The fact that he often uses classical music as a reference endears me even more to his way of seeing/doing things....

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Just received THE BIBLE: Mastering Audio 2009/03/06 03:33:05 (permalink)
    To me Katz's book was a lot easier and somehow "fluent" to read than Izhaki's book on mixing. I've read them both twice now, and even though I'm an amateur working with very modest equipment, and using very little time for this music hobby, I somehow feel
    there was surprisingly few really new things to me in the books. Maybe that's just because
    over twenty years with computer music has little by little increased my knowledge, even though my skills have remained feeble due to insufficient practice (is that english?).

On the other hand - some of the most technical/mathematical things are chinese to me, but then again, I'm not in the least interested in them and I don't think they're relevant to me.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1