Kansas Cover.. Hopelessly Human

Author
bill durham
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 460
2011/04/30 21:27:50 (permalink)

Kansas Cover.. Hopelessly Human

A project started 3 years ago.  The players are from all over the country and all have busy schedules, hence the delay in completion. 

Matt Teepe  Drums
John Christopher Bass
Tim Roche Keys and Violin sequence
Bill Durham Guitars and production
Mike Goble  "RS" Vocals
Darrell Woodward  "SW" Vocals

http://www.soundclick.com...usic.cfm?bandID=380614

thanks for the listen and all comments welcome

BD

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/bdandfriends_music.htm

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billdurham_music.htm

7 Replies Related Threads

Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:Kansas Cover.. Hopelessly Human 2011/04/30 23:38:39 (permalink)
    Nice............Enjoyed.  I have always liked Kansas.
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Kansas Cover.. Hopelessly Human 2011/05/01 12:16:44 (permalink)
    Not familiar with the original, but this sounds excellent, and has an authentic '70's prog vibe. Good one.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Kansas Cover.. Hopelessly Human 2011/05/02 18:12:57 (permalink)
    Sounds like Kansas to me.  Great job.  Must have been some undertaking.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Kansas Cover.. Hopelessly Human 2011/05/02 18:59:10 (permalink)
    Took me 5 tries to get Sound Crap to open, but it was worth the effort. This is real Kansas-sounding! Excellent job! How did you manage to exactly imitate their guitar tone? The strings sound very synthy, but work okay during the times when they are lower in the mix.

String Jammer
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Kansas Cover.. Hopelessly Human 2011/05/02 21:14:11 (permalink)
    Not familiar with the original, but sure sounds good.  3 years?  I can't imagine.  :)
    bill durham
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 460
    Re:Kansas Cover.. Hopelessly Human 2011/05/02 23:14:52 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the listens and comments.  I did a project of Kansas covers that I started back in 2004 and I did it primarily because I love the music of Kansas.. but it was also a great way to learn the software.  I didn't have to think about being creative, just about trying to get the feel right on the drum sequences I did or tweeking the drum sequences that were in the midi files I used.  HH was particularly hard because it started out as an audio only project.  The drums are a live drummer playing along with the original tune.   For whatever reason, the keys players that were supposed to be involved in the project bagged me.  Thats why it took 3 years!  I finally got fed up and used the midi file that was done by Tim Roche.. but learned the hard way that lining up midi parts to live drums is hard.  I didn't see the tick box for import with tempo on the import midi window.. which really screwed me up.  I would import a midi part and it would change the tempo of the project to the one the midi was recorded at.. which was way more consistent than the live drums.  When I finally saw that box.. and unchecked it.. life got a lot better.  I spent a hell of a lot of time matching the tempo map with the live drummer.. and it was really frustrating that it would change the tempo when I imported a part.  The other issue was Tim didn't do the solo section of the song in his midi file.  I had to sequence the organ parts that are during the guitar solos as well as the keys solos themselves.. I don't play keys!  So.. step sequencing that part of the song was pretty tricky mostly because of the speed of the solos.  There are a lot more notes in the original organ solo than I ever came up with!  Guitar tone.. I credit my setup.  I don't use an amp, only an Original Sansamp pedal.  It comes about as close to a cranked Marshall as you can without using a modeling pedal.  I used 2 guitars on it.. only because of the length of time between start and finish.  The first part of the song is a Gibson Les Paul.  The end of the song was done with a PRS Custom 24.. but both are through the Sansamp.. I love that pedal!  The acoustic is a Martin 000C-16R??  I don't remember all the model numbers on it..using the pickups and not mic'ed. 
    Thanks again for the kind words and listens

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/bdandfriends_music.htm

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billdurham_music.htm
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Kansas Cover.. Hopelessly Human 2011/05/03 13:06:35 (permalink)
    Saw them in Phoenix last fall and they were great.  Still rockin' it.  Kudos on the vocals!!!!!!!!!!!  It's all good but your vocalists are great.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1