Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
6stringsat100mph
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1385
2005/02/14 21:30:38 (permalink)

Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner)

This is my cover of Kashmir and it was alot of work to say the least. I remixed it from scratch after I retracked some of the vocals. I think it is much better. Much tighter. If you already heard it when I posted it before then relisten. If you never heard it, well, I think you will like it. If you are a Zepelin fan then it is an absolute must for you.
Like it or hate it let me know...Thanks everyone.
Mark

Kashmir

33 Replies Related Threads

Dazed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/14 21:47:05 (permalink)
    Nice job on this Mark. Music is definitely there! Vocals surprised me because Plant is very difficult to do and you pulled it off nicely.

Outstanding!

Dazed
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/14 21:50:45 (permalink)
    Thank you thank you....it was a huge project. 42 tracks in all...most of em one shot recorded and alot of them accross the entire song. Constantly pushing the system to the limits.
    Thanks
    mark
    Dazed
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/14 21:58:05 (permalink)
    I am surprised your system could handle 42 tracks! I think we used 27 in one song and then we had errors saying we reached the Effect Limit. This was using Cakewalk GT Pro 3.

6stringsat100mph
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/14 22:11:41 (permalink)
    Oh wow...there are people in here that have discussed having 70 and 80 tracks. I am not exaggerating either. It blew me away as well as I guess my 42 tracks did.
    There were not many softsynth instances. Basically just livesynthpro...(I now use vsampler) with 7 different instruments loaded in. I used Cadenza Strings soundfonts for the strings and put them in one track at a time. Meaning 3 violins (redone on three different tracks 3 diff times.ect) 3 violas, 3 cellos, 3 contra bass and on and on.... These tracks listed above constitute 12 tracks. These 12 in particular are not running all through the song, so it was not too much of a system hog. Also I converted everything to wav as soon as the track was complete and moved to the next with the same instance of livesynth.
    and that about covers it....2 vox tracks 4 guitar tracks 1 bass one drum(stereo)and on and on...
    Regarding my system I have a 3000+AMD with 1.5 gigs of memory.
    jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/14 22:34:13 (permalink)
    I think this is very well done. Exquisite detail.

Great job.

Jeff.
    muddy leopard
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/14 23:28:10 (permalink)
    Hi 6 strings

I once recorded Dancing Days and know that touching Zep definitely requires shifting your muscal sense into another dimension. Which you clearly successfully did. Bloody good job - and obviously a lot of work and love went into it. No comments about the mix, all sounds good.

Neil
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 00:07:16 (permalink)
    Loved the whole thing but the guitar. It's a little too strat sounding and not Les Paul crunchy. Also the bass is not distinct. The snare is not fat enough also. Just picky here. Incredible effort.
    pluto
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 00:23:16 (permalink)
    I'm on it shortly... will be back later or tommw with
    my comments.
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 03:22:56 (permalink)
    Thanks jsykes...I appreciate your kind words...

Muddy you are in Katmandu??? No way....whats it like there? I guess you cant answer properly here...I am going to start a post in the coffee house for you to tell me (if it is ok with you) and others about this very mystical sounding place to live. Cool.
    Thanks for the kindness brothahhhh...I am glad you dig it...

Middleman....you wanna know something? OK...That was the only thing about the cover that I labored over. I wanted more bite on the parts that I believe you are referring to and decided to pull out the organ that is so prominant on the walkdown that has its first instance at 0.54 and reappears throughout. This is the section that you were mainly speaking of right? Well I did make that decision but it is not a strat but a Jackson Dinky XL on the Hummbucking pickup to boot. But it is certainly a deviation from the rest of the tune that I cover pretty much as they played it. Good ears and good observation. Jamester caught the same thing last time I posted it.

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate it....
    Mark
    zepo1a
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 08:16:51 (permalink)
    So I'm driving home last night and I hear "Here I go Again" by Great White?. I'm thinking, 6strings should cover this...so um, get on it and stuff.

Kashmir..one of my favorite zep tunes...haven't had a chance to listen yet, but if you butchered it, I'll let ya know :)

Archiles Last Stand...I tried to cover it many times and failed miserably, ever attempt that one 6?

Zep--

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=292801
    Now Featuring
    The Bestest Little Wing Solo EVAR!!!!!
    Blackbird (A Beatles Cover)
    and
    COAFBH (Or, How not to make a 4 track tape recording!)
    John Page
    • Total Posts : 672
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 09:03:09 (permalink)
    I a big Zep fan very nice!!!!! the only thing lacking is in the drum department
    Boham sounds uncomplicated until you try to reproduce his sound and style
    I don't think his son Jason even comes close.
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 09:54:06 (permalink)
    Hey zepo1a thanks for thinking of me in a good way rather than as you usually do with that witchdoctor doll of me that you stick pins in....That hurts...
    The song "here I go again" is Whitesnake....great white was a less zep influenced band that did "Once bitten twice shy" and "Rock me" they were more of a Buttrock band. More like Poison and those turds that helped destroy what Led Zep got rolling, and Aerosmith kept going then on and on....But Whitesnake was a much better representation of the 80's rock that was decent. A little too Zep sounding on cuts like "Still of the night"and as you mentioned "here I go again".....Cool eh?
    I could never sing or even do justice to David Coverdale. Say what you want but that guy has pipes that kill. Plus he was banging Tawny Kitean(sp?) back in the day.
    So unless you got some pipes like Coverdale or know someone here who does...I aint going to even bother trying. Now go listen to Kashmir and let me know what the verdict is....
    Later
    Mark
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 09:58:31 (permalink)
    I spent alot of time on those drums John....They are sequenced correctly or my ass is a banjo....but it is hard to get the feel of a live drummer especially one who was so powerful and precise like Bonham was.
    Huh....I rather think the drums were a good addition to this cover but I will heed the thoughts and see if I cant do them better.
    Thanks for the honest evaluation....I want to get anything I do right and if I have missed it on the drums overall I will fix it.
    Mark
    zepo1a
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 10:11:02 (permalink)
    will listen Kasmir when i get home from work...

about "here I go"..he pretty much stays low range on that song except for one highish "Here I GOOOOOooooooo". I think you can do it!

Zep--

ORIGINAL: 6stringsat100mph

Hey zepo1a thanks for thinking of me in a good way rather than as you usually do with that witchdoctor doll of me that you stick pins in....That hurts...
    The song "here I go again" is Whitesnake....great white was a less zep influenced band that did "Once bitten twice shy" and "Rock me" they were more of a Buttrock band. More like Poison and those turds that helped destroy what Led Zep got rolling, and Aerosmith kept going then on and on....But Whitesnake was a much better representation of the 80's rock that was decent. A little too Zep sounding on cuts like "Still of the night"and as you mentioned "here I go again".....Cool eh?
    I could never sing or even do justice to David Coverdale. Say what you want but that guy has pipes that kill. Plus he was banging Tawny Kitean(sp?) back in the day.
    So unless you got some pipes like Coverdale or know someone here who does...I aint going to even bother trying. Now go listen to Kashmir and let me know what the verdict is....
    Later
    Mark

Now Featuring
    and
    pluto
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 11:27:59 (permalink)
    So unless you got some pipes like Coverdale or know someone here who does...I aint going to even bother trying.
    Later
    Mark

I'll give it a shot. Not saying I got pipes like Coverdale
    but i think it would be fun.

pluto
    Telecaster
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 13:21:13 (permalink)
    Mark you keep amazing me, you are playing and loving all the music that has been close to my heart for donkeys years.

Your ear for details is incredible and your production technique is excellent, i would love to have you living down the street from me so we could jam every day.

Keep them coming.

Mike

Cheers
    Mike
    PC I7 3770k, 16Gb ram build to Jim Roseberry specs.
    Sonar X3 PE, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 , Edirol PCR-800.
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 14:01:20 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike...That is very cool of you to say. Well you never know they may throw me out of the states for something someday and then I will be shopping for a new country and hey the UK is a bunch of countries yes? ...(kidding)
    My mom was born and raised in Scotland and I want to get there to see her homeland someday in which case I will stop in to see you and we will get that Jam after all. Sound good?
    Thanks soooo much for the kudos. I am very glad you liked this cover.
    Mark
    John Page
    • Total Posts : 672
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 14:22:57 (permalink)
    I spent alot of time on those drums John....They are sequenced correctly or my ass is a banjo....but it is hard to get the feel of a live drummer especially one who was so powerful and precise like Bonham was.
    Huh....I rather think the drums were a good addition to this cover but I will heed the thoughts and see if I cant do them better.
    Thanks for the honest evaluation....I want to get anything I do right and if I have missed it on the drums overall I will fix it.

Mark I listened again and what is bothering me is the bass drum, the time between the first and second hit (the double pump) needs to be shorter by a fraction of a second.......I think that would do the trick.

Edit: BTW I really like what your doing
    post edited by John Page - 2005/02/15 14:31:24
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 14:26:27 (permalink)
    Thanks John ....I will give that a try....you may be right...I am going to the original to refrence mine with the real one....I appreciate your attention to detail....its important when covering something "Off the Record". Thanks again
    Mark
    m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 16:43:37 (permalink)
    Uhhh... so many positive posts...
    Is the original that bad?
    Have you ever checked it with an spectrum analyzer? ...looks awful..

I agree with middleman, the guitars are thin.
    Please eliminate that boomieness (?) out of the bass. Cut at 150Hz will do.

Flatten the overall frequency spectrum, fatten the guitars and it will be ok.
    And maybe less reverb and more punch to the bassdrum.

As always great musicmanship.

EDIT: Hey, what monitors do you use???

Greets
    Melf

post edited by m11 - 2005/02/15 16:52:10
    Telecaster
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 17:37:20 (permalink)
    Mark you would be most welcome, let me know when your plane touch down, and i'll pick you up in the airport.

Mike

Cheers
    Mike
    PC I7 3770k, 16Gb ram build to Jim Roseberry specs.
    Sonar X3 PE, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 , Edirol PCR-800.
    zepo1a
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 19:55:47 (permalink)
    The only thing that really bothered me (knowing the original) is the extra string hit at the end of every measure or whatever, on the original I believe it's just a bass thump there.

Good cover.

The girlfriend liked it, so did I. We were headbanging.

Zep--

ORIGINAL: 6stringsat100mph

Later
    Mark

Now Featuring
    and
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 21:52:28 (permalink)
    Hey Melf thanks for posting ...I appreciate it....One thing I might mention again, and in all due respect...I am relatively new to recording on a PC (a bit more than 1 yr) and to recording in general (3 years maybe with Roland VS-880 then 1660) so I am not that savvy...I dont know what a spectrum analyzer is. And when you say take out about150hz I have an idea what your talking about but not really....I mean I know it means EQ measurment but where and what I would do to adjust it I am not sure. So 90% of the time you are talking way over my head. I record at the hottest volume I can with enough room to tweek (generally at about -6) and thats about it...If there is clipping as I add tracks I just add a Rcomp pluf to the track or buss and that stops it from clipping....so I am not able to do very much with your very good advice posts.sorry...and thanks
    Mark
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 22:07:24 (permalink)
    Mark,
    Get Voxengo SPAN. Put it as the last thing on your master bus. It's a specturm analyzer and also an avg RMS meter. It's also free.

Use an eq before Endorphin, or whatever you're using for a master limiter. Using Sonitus Track Eq in Pre Fx mode enable filter 2 as a peak/dip, Freq=150, Q=3, Gain=-3.

The goal is the have the freq spectrum look like a line with a slight decline from 200Hz out to 20Khz. The span from 150 to 300Hz is often problematic, it's where boominess and boxiness come from.
    post edited by ed_mcg - 2005/02/15 22:19:26
    m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 22:54:10 (permalink)
    Ok Mark,

Voxengo Span is a good free analyzer.
    You could also try Elemental Audio Inspector

This is how it should look like:

And this is yours:

Locut bass at 150Hz means:
    At this Track:

You use your EQ like that:

hth.
    Melf

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/15 22:59:42 (permalink)
    Great info, Melf. I thought you'd be a sleep so I took a shot at answering for you.
    post edited by ed_mcg - 2005/02/15 23:07:48
    pluto
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/16 00:06:48 (permalink)
    Ok, checked out a few tunes 6strings.

Kashmir: Excellent rendition. The vocals
    sound almost exact to the original. Were you singing along
    with the original then deleted it after... sort of like using it
    for a guide? Just curious. If not you did an amazing job
    covering his vocals. Everything else is fine. A few tweaks
    as mentioned in some above posts will enhance it.

"I Will Always Be Right There: I like the tune.
    The only thing i hear is sometimes the vocals seem to be
    reaching a little too much in the red. I listened in hi fi and
    lo-fi. Not sure if it was my headphones or not, will listen again
    when I get a chance. Other than that great job on everything
    else, musicianship, production etc.

The Trooper: The song rocks... had it cranked, enjoyed it.

Pluto
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/16 01:46:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Melf and Ed wow....I guess it was time to just say it. Nobody likes to admit that they don’t know something and definitely if they have a bit of ego to start with...well you know what I mean. I Guess the truth is I am really just a Guitarist and a somewhat competent (matter of opinion I know...I know...) keyboard and Bass player that gets a kick out of playing a bunch of parts and mashing them all together for my own listening pleasure and then hopefully some other people will find something of value in it. But for the most part the technical aspect to me is like a job sometimes and that is why I have kind of sh!tty recordings most of the time. I will however make the tweaks exactly as you and Ed describe and repost the result.
    Thanks all
    Mark
    post edited by 6stringsat100mph - 2005/02/16 01:56:00
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Kashmir New vox and remixed (much cleaner) 2005/02/16 01:50:42 (permalink)
    Voxengo Span is a good free analyzer.
    You could also try Elemental Audio Inspector

Got it....putting it on the master buss now....
    Thanks
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1