Keep plugin GUIs on top-?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
2014/04/17 15:09:59 (permalink)

Keep plugin GUIs on top-?

I can't find where to change this setting - Before X3, plugin GUIs always stayed on top while working.  But now they go to the back when I touch a control in the Console View.  Highly inconvenient - Work with plugin settings, move a control in the Console - >poof!< no plugin GUI, I have to click it open again. 

I'm sure I'm overlooking the setting, but am coming up blank.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors

39 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 15:15:43 (permalink)
    I can only make 64bit plug-ins hide behind the Console view when the view is undocked. If the view is docked, all the plug-ins stay on top of the Console view.
    rbowser
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 16:04:28 (permalink)
    scook
    I can only make 64bit plug-ins hide behind the Console view when the view is undocked. If the view is docked, all the plug-ins stay on top of the Console view.

--oh man.  Remember back to previous Sonars, Scook?  You could have an undocked Console and the plugins would stay in front where they belonged, until you dismissed them.  This is crazy.  Yet more extra work to make X3 behave.

I have two monitors, so when I need the Console, it's open on my second screen while the track view stays on the first.  My workaround for this absurd change is to have the plugin GUIs float in front of the Track View while wanting to work both with their controls and the Console's.  The plugins don't disappear when they're there in front of the tracks instead of front of the Console.  It's not as convenient as when I could have plugin controls and Console controls right next to each other on the same screen.

I sure don't get why that was changed. - Maybe there's still a hidden default somewhere we don't know about--??

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    joeb1cannoli
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 16:09:14 (permalink)
     What if you move the dock to the second screen and dock the console view ?

http://soundcloud.com/joe-b-10
    Windows 10 Pro x64, 6 core, Core i7 , 16GB ram
    Sonar Platinum , Komplete 8, Ozone 8  
    Presonus Studio 192 and DP88 ,uad-2 solo
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 16:09:59 (permalink)
    That would be my suggestion.
    rbowser
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 16:25:15 (permalink)
    joeb1cannoli
     What if you move the dock to the second screen and dock the console view ?

Thanks for the suggestion, Joeb - But if I did that, all my tabbed views would also be on that screen wouldn't they?  My work flow is to have my first screen split with some Track View at the top, PRV taking up most of the screen at the bottom, and the Console taking the entire second screen.  I've worked that way for several years.

Maybe there's a different approach I can take with plugins - I mean, I can't believe I'm the only person annoyed with this change in behavior.  Maybe someone has a solution that makes the plugins stay on top the way they should?  Having the plugins float in front of the Tracks is OK, but not ideal.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 16:30:18 (permalink)
    rbowser
    --oh man.  Remember back to previous Sonars, Scook?

Honestly I have done my best to not remember pre-X series SONAR. Most of the UI has changed and trying to make X3 work like SONAR 8.5 is not a good idea IMHO.
    rbowser
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 16:36:59 (permalink)
    scookHonestly I have done my best to not remember pre-X series SONAR. Most of the UI has changed and trying to make X3 work like SONAR 8.5 is not a good idea IMHO.

hehehe, I see.  But in my opinion, this particular issue is obviously a step backwards, Scook.  Of course plugin GUIs should stay available for tweaking until dismissed, wherever you have them displayed.  The way they behave now is just bad programming.  What do you do, just click over and over to get a plugin open again-?

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 16:41:16 (permalink)
    I don't recall pre X series FX not being able to go behind a window.  Heck I relied on the ability to bring windows forward or not. It was 32 bit plugins running under Bitbridge that would/will not go behind a window. This has been true ever since 64 bit Sonar was released. Benistat was the one with his Sonar Plus that added the ability to 32 bit bitbridged plugins to be behind other windows. 

Best
    John
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 16:44:57 (permalink)
    I have never found the console view very useful and don't undock views.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 17:13:42 (permalink)
    scook

I do. I have been using two displays going back many years. Therefore I often place the CV and plugin's GUIs on the second screen. 

I know what you mean about the CV not being all that useful. I do somewhat useful for checking out the various levels against one another. I also like it for seeing an overview of the mix. What sends are used, what FX and what PC is on. Now I have two wide screen monitors and it does help to have this ability. 

I wouldn't want to mix without them. 

Best
    John
    rbowser
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 18:16:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for your replies, Scook and John.  I seem to have a talent for bringing things up that either don't bother anyone else, or don't even happen to them. 

scookI have never found the console view very useful and don't undock views.

I've used two monitors for so long now, I wouldn't want to go back, and using multiple monitors is all about undocking and moving views around so you can spread out.  Like John said in his reply, I just Gotta have that overview of the whole project, seeing at a glance what the relative levels are, popping back and forth between various sliders as I record automation.  I wouldn't know how to work with just the TV where you don't have that all-in-one grasp on a project.  And when I briefly had to work with one monitor again awhile back, I thought I'd go mad with the non-stop clicking and dragging I had to do.  Yikes.
    John...I don't recall pre X series FX not being able to go behind a window...

That's exactly the opposite of what I want, John.  The plugins dive behind the Console window all the time, as soon as you touch anything in the Console.  I want the plugin GUIs to stay in place, there in view.  I don't want them to keep disappearing.

In 8.5 and every version before that, when you double clicked a plugin to get at its controls, it would float above the Console as long as you wanted.  It wouldn't disappear from view until you purposely closed it.  That way, you could go back between the controls in the plugin and in the Console with ease - they could be just inches apart.  That's what I'm talking about.  That's why my work around is to have the plugins float above the TV on my first screen, because they don't disappear over there when you touch something else in the project.  It's not a perfect solution, because now I have to move completely back and forth between the two screens to grab a plugin knob, then grab a Console knob, and so on.  

John...It was 32 bit plugins running under Bitbridge that would/will not go behind a window. This has been true ever since 64 bit Sonar was released. Benistat was the one with his Sonar Plus that added the ability to 32 bit bitbridged plugins to be behind other windows.

--!! Now that's really funny - You mean, Benistat purposely made them hide.  wow - that's so-- counter intuitive to me.  Why would I want my plugins to keep disappearing when I want to work with them-?

One of my other quirks is that I still mostly work in 32 bit.  But you're saying the plugins hide in 64 bit also, so I guess that doesn't make a difference.

Well, I still have to ask - What do you when you want to go back and forth between working in a plugin and in the Console?  You just keep clicking open the plugin again-?  Kind of in the category of all this endless clicking we have to do now just to access what we want to edit in a track?

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 18:45:57 (permalink)
    If you place them with a little bit showing when hidden its easy to bring them forward. In Windows you can set your mouse to activate a window by just moving your mouse pointer over it. Look up X mouse. 

Example try to have a cascade of them with just the title showing doing this will make them always available.

Best
    John
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 18:57:18 (permalink)
    rbowser
    ...My work flow is to have my first screen split with some Track View at the top, PRV taking up most of the screen at the bottom, and the Console taking the entire second screen...

But do you really need both CV and PRV to be present in every screenset?

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    rbowser
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 20:04:17 (permalink)
    JohnIf you place them with a little bit showing when hidden its easy to bring them forward. In Windows you can set your mouse to activate a window by just moving your mouse pointer over it. Look up X mouse...

I don't understand what you mean, John.  If I have plugins open, they disappear when I click anything on the Console.  There's no way to "place them with a little bit showing."-- They're either in front or instantly moved to the back.  I have to double click a plugin's icon to make it temporarily forward again.

I use Wiz Mouse which works at least something like X mouse - Any window is instantly scrollable when the cursor is over it, without needing to click to give the window focus.

Kev999...But do you really need both CV and PRV to be present in every screenset?...

I haven't found screensets to be useful to me yet.  They take so long to load, and I'm not getting the point of them yet.  I set some up, but I find myself using the same configuration all the time because it works for me.  Everything I need is on the one screenset.  I don't want to stop, open up a view focusing on one work area or the other, and then stop and re-load another screenset to keep working.  Dragging view borders around is much faster and more efficient for me.  At least, that's the way it's worked for me so far.  

I don't really need the Console open from the very start of a project, but with two screens, I just have the view below open all the time.

THAT is what I'm talking about.  I have a plugin open where I wish it could be - Right there in the Console View.  Can't do that now - I have to move it over to the left screen, and it's not nearly as slick and fast to work with.  It's also out of the way in front of the Console, but it gets in the way in front of my Track/PRV/Tempo combo.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 22:59:49 (permalink)
    You may have your CV at full screen. I don't. I can have the CV with on my other monitor and not hve it taking up the full screen and still see the full channel strips top to bottom. This leaves plenty of room for showing plugins GUIs. At least enough to be able to bring them forward when needed. 

Best
    John
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/17 23:31:17 (permalink)
    8.5 does exactly the same thing. If you have 2 floating windows and you click one of them it will come to the foreground. The console view is floating by default so if you click it it will come to the foreground of all floating windows like plugin windows.
    The only time a floating window stays on top of all others is when the other windows are NOT floating windows (i.e. they are MDI windows). If you want the effects windows always on top of the console you have to deactivate the floating window state on the console. Click the system menu for the console and choose "disable floating"

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    rbowser
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/18 00:20:40 (permalink)
    JohnYou may have your CV at full screen. I don't. I can have the CV with on my other monitor and not have it taking up the full screen and still see the full channel strips top to bottom...

AH - Good one.  Yes, I've always just let it pop in and fill up the full screen.  With all that wasted space at the top of the Console, there's room for what you do - I just tried it, works great.  Thanks for explaining, John.
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk...8.5 does exactly the same thing...If you want the effects windows always on top of the console you have to deactivate the floating window state on the console...

Thanks for the reply, Noel - I've only been using X3 for a week now.  8.5 is very fresh in my mind, since I was still using it just those few days ago, and I guarantee you, I had the plugins always staying put in front of Console when I wanted them to stay there, as I've said on this thread.   I could tweak a plugin knob, tweak a level in Console, and the plugin's GUI would still be there, handy for me to work with more if I wanted, without having to click it open again.

I can't deactivate the floating window state of the console, because then I wouldn't be able to have it on my second monitor.  I don't know if there were some special settings I did to have it work that way in 8.5, but that's the way I had it, and that's why it was startling to me when I started working in X3 and my plugin GUIs kept disappearing like that.  Never happened in 8.5.  Zero doubt about that.

I'll get over it! - I'll use John's method of reducing the size of the Console, or keep clicking the plugins open again, or move them over to the 1st screen while tweaking.

Randy
    post edited by rbowser - 2014/04/18 09:59:58

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/18 09:47:02 (permalink)
    I'm glad it is working for you Randy.  

Best
    John
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 07:18:19 (permalink)
    scook

Scook, I was surprised to see this from you. I usually use one monitor unless I'm really working hard and then I carry up the bedroom TV and plug it in. Console View is not the place where I work on envelopes, so I spend more time in Track View, but...
    • I will say, using 2 monitors I find problems faster than when I use one.
    • Nice to see all the PCs at once.
    • Useful for copying EQ settings between tracks and buses.
    • Useful for adding Pro Channel modules to multiple tracks at once
    • Best screen for touch
    • ctrl plus click on the left most Track's PC expand button expands all to the right.
    • This is the view where I tend to hide midi tracks
    • Useful for watching for the PC clip indicator on all tracks at once.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 12:17:33 (permalink)
    rbowser

Yet more extra work to make X3 behave.

Randy B.

rbowser

I've worked that way for several years.
    Randy B.

Working in X3 like you did in 8.5 isn't going to give you the results you expect. You will get frustrated and over work your self.

Time to learn a new way!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    rbowser
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 12:26:12 (permalink)
    Grem...Time to learn a new way!...

Rightio, Grem, that's what I'm doing. 

On this one particular thread topic, I still don't understand why just a week ago, when I opened a plugin's GUI in Sonar 8.5, it would stay to the front until I clicked to close it.  I saw Noel's post saying that nothing's changed, but I beg to differ since how this worked in 8.5 is still completely fresh in my mind.  GUIs stayed in front until dismissed.  Whether there was some arcane setting somewhere in Windows that I had in place to make that work, I can't say.  All I know is that I suddenly need to use a work-around for this, and all the work-arounds mentioned here make the process Slower.  It's a small thing, but it's a step backwards that makes the work flow clumsier for me.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 16:44:51 (permalink)
    It could have been a 32 bit plugin and in 64 bit Sonar it will stay on top.  

Best
    John
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 16:59:55 (permalink)
    I never really used Console view before the X Series. But then I discovered the magic key command - D - when I want something faster than screensets.

Here's what I do...

• Have the Track view, browser, and inspector spread across two monitors, with the dock at the bottom. Spreading the track view across two monitors lets me see the whole tune comfortably.
    • Click on the Console tab, and adjust the Console splitter bar all the way to the top (or leave a sliver for the Navigator or Track View to show the current song position).
    • Type D to toggle between the Console view and the Track/Inspector/Browser view. Because the Console view is in the dock, if I want a "big screen" PRV that's only a click away too.

This is GREAT for mixing because with one key, I can toggle back and forth between mixing and editing. By stretching the Console across two monitors, I can have the strips in "wide" view, which to me is what makes the Console useful.

This takes care of 85% of my mixing needs; for the other 15%, there are screensets. 
    Next to Ctrl-S and Ctrl-Z, D is probably my most-used keyboard shortcut. Next would be the custom key bindings for zoom in and out horizontally.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 17:04:55 (permalink)
    I skip the initial screen adjustment between the dock and track view and use SHIFT-D instead of D to bring up docked views and D to collapse.
    rbowser
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 18:42:47 (permalink)
    John
    It could have been a 32 bit plugin and in 64 bit Sonar it will stay on top.  

All - I mean All plugins, once clicked open, would stay in front however long I liked, until I closed.  Scout's Honor, that's the way it was.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 18:45:55 (permalink)
    I can say without reservation that you remember it wrong Randy. Even Noel has confirmed it.  

Best
    John
    rbowser
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 18:58:38 (permalink)
    John
    I can say without reservation that you remember it wrong Randy. Even Noel has confirmed it.  

lol--I know you guys don't believe me.  But both you and Noel are incorrect.  I was using 8.5 just one week ago, and what I'm talking about was a standard part of my every day routine.  Click a plugin's icon, it would stay in front of the Console until I clicked it closed.  Very convenient.  You may as well think I'm not right that I put both feet on the ground in the morning before walking.  I had it that way for so many years, it's possible I had some special utility that accomplished that - I can't remember.  I'll look around for it.  Your method is fine, but looks messy to me, I would just have to get used to it.  Thanks.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 19:01:13 (permalink)
    scook
    I skip the initial screen adjustment between the dock and track view and use SHIFT-D instead of D to bring up docked views and D to collapse.

What you describe sounds like it might be useful to my workflow, but there's something about it I'm not understanding. If I set the view for the "sliver," I get the expected results when I use Shift-D, but reverts to some kind of default setting after I've exercised the D shortcut a few times. Can you give a few more details of how you use Shift-D?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    rbowser
    Re: Keep plugin GUIs on top-? 2014/04/19 19:06:19 (permalink)
    By the way, I wonder why plugin GUIs stay on top when they're in front of the Track View?  But they do, the way I wish they did in Console View.  But since they stay put there in TV, it proves that it's not correct that it's just a Windows thing where whatever has focus moves to the front, blocking other windows.

Randy

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1