Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious...

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2017/02/26 15:11:29 (permalink)

Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious...

because he... talks in those... short wordbursts... with the bonus of... that thick... NYC... accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilX2FOyu_Ts

lol

Beepster lurvs ya, Kenny. Stay golden.

11 Replies Related Threads

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 15:40:13 (permalink)
    I watched one of his courses on either Lynda.com or Groove3. The accent is very noticeable at first but by the end of the course it sounded totally normal (I guess me living in NYC might have something to do with it lol). 

I guess it's kinda like Eli Krantzberg. When I first heard him I couldn't stop noticing his Canadian accent. By the end of the first video I watched I didn't even notice it. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Beepster
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 15:54:45 (permalink)
    HA! I didn't know Eli was a Canuck (nor did I notice any odd accent... of course). His courses are quite good too. I powered through his theory/jazz courses on Groove3 when Cake gave us that free month's access during the X2 days. I've got my own method(s) but always like to expand/test it against other systems (especially more traditional ones).

Since I had already gone through all the production vids I figured the theory ones would be the next best as far as usefulness. Literally spent that whole month glued to G3 taking notes the whole time. lol

As an Ontarian I always figure I have a "neutral" accent but I wonder what others must think of it. When I was in England a few people made fun of me saying "aboot" but for the life of me a have no idea what they were on... well... about. I say it "ah-bowt"... like a normal human. In fact I don't think I've EVER heard a Canadian say "aboot" in my nearly forty years (east coasters get close but it's not quite the ridiculous pronunciation american satire suggests).

It is of course quite possible those cheeky limeys were takin' the pesh though. Buggers.

;-)
    Sheanes
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 16:14:32 (permalink)
    really liked the Eli Krantzberg and Anderton vids too.
    one of the very few smart things I ever did was buying/learning those Groove3 vids when I started.
    Beepster
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 17:27:52 (permalink)
    Actually the timing of that free month of G3 was quite serendipitous considering I was really just starting out proper. Of course I'd been using EQ's since I was a teen (on live boards, amps, some hack demos, etc) but apparently I knew jack balls about equalization until I dug into the dedicated G3 tuts on EQ's.

I also knew NOTHING about compressors. Like I had NO idea what they were or did despite having "mixed" an entire album previously (it sounded alright at the time and everyone in the band liked it but really... it sucked because there was NO compression... and I did not understand proper EQ'ing principles like "frequency" masking and whatnot).

Basically before that all I was doing was blindly tweedling knobs until it kind of sort of sounded "okay" but was getting severely frustrated because, as you'd suspect, there was a "ceiling" to how good I could make anything sound without that basic knowledge.

Then, of course, once I "understood" what those things did everything sounded even CRAPPIER until I got enough hours using those tools under my belt to tune my ears to how it all interacted.

Still in the (lifelong) process of honing those skills but these days I can at least make calculated decisions instead of bumbling in the dark for endless hours to only come up with some mediocre, barely "demo" quality mixes. Now I can twist together a semi decent starter mix in 10-20 minutes. Making it "golden" still eludes me no matter how long I spend but it's certainly a LOT better than before I did the G3 stuff and I can actually understand WTF people are talking about which has kept me moving forward.

The other vids that helped round me out on G3 were the reverb/delay vids, the "live room" mic'ing stuff (which I apply to my sims/virtual environments), bussing, etc. All things I took for granted before.

I actually didn't watch too many of the Sonar specific tuts because I was already figuring that stuff out and had tons of material on Sonar already (like the Anderton vids but mostly just the manual and forum kept me going in that regard). It was a nice foundation to build on as far as mixing and I did not waste ANY of that month. I quite literally spent every day of that month watching, pausing, reviewing and taking notes for about 6 hours a day to make sure I absorbed as much as I could.

Definitely one of the most useful "gifts" Cake has dropped on me since I've owned Sonar... especially considering I can't/couldn't really afford to pay for a membership and the price of downloading specific vids was/is definitely a no go.

In other news... my left booger hook seems to be semi healed and able to type up unnecessarily long screeds again.

Lucky, youz.

:-p
    Sheanes
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 17:42:02 (permalink)
    had a simular start and spend hours every night learning Sonar, before that I didn't know DAW's existed.
    five years ago now, still learning but sort of satisfied with progress....so not giving up yet 
    on a budget too, but don't need any more gear/software at this point fortunately.
    learning every month still, that keeps it fun for me..
    lot of established staff in prof. music talk about the 10k hours it takes...
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 18:24:42 (permalink)
    Kenny has made a huge amount (if not all) of his Reaper vids gratis.  I wish he was a SONAR user 

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Beepster
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 18:28:15 (permalink)
    Meh. The 10k hour rule is kind of silly and debunked. It's actually not just a music term and comes from a pop psychology author...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)

Of course practice and experience is always beneficial but if you are practicing in the wrong way and/or basing said practice on faulty/incomplete info you aren't going to get the results as someone who performs the same 10k hours with a solid foundation.

Danny (Danzi) used to warn me about this frequently in terms of engineering. There is a lot of crap masquerading as insight out there and for those just starting out it can really mess things up. Not that you are a victim of such crap (you cited some good sources).

Personally when I'm trying to learn how to do something and/or read about something I'll research it to find multiple verification from multiple sources (sometimes asking the forum) AND do my own little experiments to see/hear the results for myself. Fortunately living in the internet age makes this relatively easy.

Just doing something for X amount of time seems rather arbitrary and likely a waste of time if it's not being done correctly. That 10K hours will be much more fruitful with the right input... and may (or may not) take nearly that amount of time depending on the pursuit.

Kind of the "garbage in = garbage out" philosophy except applied to the learning process (instead of tracking).

I personally look at production (or musicianship) as something NOONE is EVER going to perfect in their lifetime and the best musicians/producers out their seem to agree. Heck... most of the stuff we talk about around here and is being done in the industry today is based on MANY lifetimes of other peoples experience passed down through the generations.

Add to that that art is a subjective and ever shifting experience thus "perfection" really doesn't, nor ever has or will, exist.

Don't mean we can't try though.

Beepster
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 18:36:35 (permalink)
    BobF
    Kenny has made a huge amount (if not all) of his Reaper vids gratis.  I wish he was a SONAR user 

Reaper does so many things amazingly well (and it is ultra snappy/stable) but it is a pain in the balls to use because it seems you just have to CONSTANTLY be futzing with elaborate, complex and buried settings to make those things happen. Also the comping scheme kind of blows compared to the current Sonar IMO... which is why I was looking at that vid in the first place. IDK... just doesn't work for me as a froo froo "artiste". For intense rawdog production taks though it's a great second tool which is why I've started dipping my wick into Cockos-land.

I toss the files right back into Sonar as soon as I can.
    Sheanes
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 19:59:29 (permalink)
    agree Beepster, hard work alone will probably not get me there....even in 10k hours.
    wasted a lot of time and energy by now.
    glad I figured out finally there's a lot of information/education/software out there that is just false/bad, kind of developing a sense for what could be true/helpful and what not.
    funny thing is that 9 out of 10 times I learn something, it's actually learning NOT to do/use something haha.
    but still progressing and learning, curious with open mind....and still fun.

Sheanes
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 19:59:36 (permalink)

BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Kenny Gioia Tuts: Awesome but unintentionally hilarious... 2017/02/26 20:37:56 (permalink)
    Beepster
    BobF

Reaper does so many things amazingly well (and it is ultra snappy/stable) but it is a pain in the balls to use because it seems you just have to CONSTANTLY be futzing with elaborate, complex and buried settings to make those things happen. Also the comping scheme kind of blows compared to the current Sonar IMO... which is why I was looking at that vid in the first place. IDK... just doesn't work for me as a froo froo "artiste". For intense rawdog production taks though it's a great second tool which is why I've started dipping my wick into Cockos-land.

I toss the files right back into Sonar as soon as I can.

For those times you do use it, ReaMenus and SWS extensions help Reaper a lot.  The LCS themes make it much easier on the eyes too, IMO.

As far as COMPing goes, I get far fewer unexpected results with Reaper COMPing compared to SONAR.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1