Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2008/01/15 02:34:41 (permalink)

Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy

Many of us scramble with our MIDI-Controllers to create music.

What are some of your tips, techniques, pearls, etc., that benefit your music? (No rules here). I'll begin:

1) Forget virtuoso skills and site-reading. Fall in love with basic piano theory and only play by ear. Basic piano theory plus a music-loving heart is everything you need to know be a piano player and an excellent composer in S7.

2) Know the 12 Major scales, the 12 major chords, the 12 major-7 chords, and the 12 minor chords, and the 12 Major signatures (with the Circle of 5ths). Buy 2 or 3 Adult Beginner Piano Books.

3) Know exactly where the fingers belong on the keyboard (for #2 above) ... for each Major Signature and learn how to play a simple song (i.e., "Amazing Grace") 12 different ways thus, with 2 hands (without peaking much at your hands).

4) Contrary to popular misconception; any of you 'absolute beginners' (as it were) are able to learn to avidly play most songs you know (12 different ways) in just a week or 2. Piano is not intimidating Its easier on the fingers than guitar. Its easier to learn than touch typing. And you could be a grandmother and still learn it thus.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5) Never strive for piano virtuoso as this will hinder your holistic thinking in S7; you won't see the jungle from the trees if all you can do is piano-man.

6) Always vocalize as you play; harmonize your chords with your own voice and/or make the keyboard your voice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I've confused you enough. Any of you .. please share some of your un-holy strategies for playing the keyboard.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

9 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy 2008/01/15 11:36:32 (permalink)
    You're absolutely right: scales and chords, scales and chords. Everything revolves around scales and chords. Master those and you're on your way. It takes a lot of work and repetition.

Of course, if practicing your chops is too much work, you can just switch to Techno.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    tls11823
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 227
    RE: Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy 2008/01/15 21:11:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper
    You're absolutely right: scales and chords, scales and chords. Everything revolves around scales and chords. Master those and you're on your way. It takes a lot of work and repetition.

That's why I'm not yet the keyboard player I want to be. I'm too impatient to get on to the fun stuff.

ORIGINAL: bitflipper
    Of course, if practicing your chops is too much work, you can just switch to Techno.

GAH!!! OK, you convinced me.

I'm off to practice scales and chords...

joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy 2008/01/15 22:17:50 (permalink)
    just play random notes until they sound good.
    dstrenz
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1067
    RE: Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy 2008/01/15 23:07:33 (permalink)
    Well, there is one synth technique I've almost mastered:

1. You wake up with an idea/melody.

2. You boot the synth and start searching for a patch close to the sound you heard in your head. While doing that, you hear a sound that gives you a different idea than the original one. You play with the new idea for a few minutes and realize it's not really a good idea, so you go back to the old one. Continuing the search for sounds for the original idea, a sound comes up that you think will work well as counterpoint to the original idea. You save it and create track 2 to hold the sound for the original idea. You find a sound that isn't quite what you had in mind but it works. You save it and record a few bars of the original idea. You loop that and go back to the first track that's going to be the counterpoint for new idea and start to play along with the recorded track of the original idea and realize those two patches clash. Now, you start loading various vsti's and searching for the patch that fits better for the counterpoint. But then you hear a patch that would work well as a pad underneath the original idea and the countepoint idea that's still in your head. You save that to track 3 and continue looking for the counterpoint sound. But now you're getting tired of listening to the original idea that's been looping for an hour so you take a break. Later, you play back what you've got and realize it wasn't such a good idea after all and go to bed.

3. Go to step 1.

Some of My Stuff
    johneblue
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy 2008/01/15 23:48:43 (permalink)
    Quit your day job and play piano/B3/synthesizer for a living ... every night!

I guarantee that if you've got even an ounce of talent, you'll get really good that way.

Laptop w/core2duo@2Ghz/2GB - Vista32 - Saffire LE - SHS6XL - Perseverance!
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy 2008/01/16 19:03:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dstrenz

Well, there is one synth technique I've almost mastered:

1. You wake up with an idea/melody.

2. You boot the synth and start searching for a patch close to the sound you heard in your head. While doing that, you hear a sound that gives you a different idea than the original one. You play with the new idea for a few minutes and realize it's not really a good idea, so you go back to the old one. Continuing the search for sounds for the original idea, a sound comes up that you think will work well as counterpoint to the original idea. You save it and create track 2 to hold the sound for the original idea. You find a sound that isn't quite what you had in mind but it works. You save it and record a few bars of the original idea. You loop that and go back to the first track that's going to be the counterpoint for new idea and start to play along with the recorded track of the original idea and realize those two patches clash. Now, you start loading various vsti's and searching for the patch that fits better for the counterpoint. But then you hear a patch that would work well as a pad underneath the original idea and the countepoint idea that's still in your head. You save that to track 3 and continue looking for the counterpoint sound. But now you're getting tired of listening to the original idea that's been looping for an hour so you take a break. Later, you play back what you've got and realize it wasn't such a good idea after all and go to bed.

3. Go to step 1.

This waking up with a hauntingly good melody and toying with it quickly ... is excellent. I've had great success with this and linking the melodies to offshoots of other 'good melodies'

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy 2008/01/16 19:37:28 (permalink)
    What a coincidence...

Just last week I discovered a show on public TV that is very similar to your 'unholy approach'. "The Piano Guy", on Mondays to Fridays at 6:00 PM on my public station KPBS. I bet a lot of you also get this show. The show is at two levels, 1) beginning level of playing off of lead sheets and using your ear for real simple tunes and 2) more advanced with a guest artist who will play thru a tune answering questions and explaining their approach to the tune and sometimes their approach to songwriting/arranging also.

I'm really digging this show, check it out.
    oo8
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy 2008/01/23 11:41:46 (permalink)
    "the piano guy" is sponsored by

"the Roland guys" who now own the majority of

"the cakewalk guys"

go figure

His show is cool,
    i have no idea what im doing,yet he makes alot of sense.
    and i always am learning something...
    boogielicious
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: Keyboard Strategies For the Un-Holy 2008/01/23 14:05:21 (permalink)
    I think Chord theory is the most critical part, followed by scale theory. If you can build chords on any instrument, you can translate that to any other. I can't site read very well. I taught myself guitar and modest piano. But I spent a whole lot of time learning about chords and how they work together. So I can sit down an piece together arrangements from that. People some times call that, "playing by ear", but it's just understanding the basics of chord theory.

Scott
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1