Keyboard guys - question - rick astly early 90s sounds in sonar

Author
thedukewestern
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
2016/10/29 10:10:08 (permalink)

Keyboard guys - question - rick astly early 90s sounds in sonar

I have a gig where Im trying to recreate some of the early 90s sounds, specifically the track together forever.  Sort of a karoake thing.  I have the full rapture pro - and all the other synths in splat.  I also have Komplete 10 which includes massive and others.

If it were any kind of guitar thing - I would know exactly what to do haha!  However, my problem is i've been sitting here auditioning sounds for hours not really knowing where to look...  

Any advice on a few great era patches would be amazing.  Thanks!

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian

3 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Keyboard guys - question - rick astly early 90s sounds in sonar 2016/10/29 10:38:26 (permalink)
    A quick search threw up a Wiki page for the song;

''In the early 1990s, an instrumental version of the song was the "Demo" song in some Casio electronic keyboards, such as the CA-100 and the MA-120.''

Don't know if that helps.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Keyboard guys - question - rick astly early 90s sounds in sonar 2016/10/29 10:40:57 (permalink)
    you can also look more generally for SAW sounds (Stock, Aitken and Waterman, the production team responsible for all that, er, stuff) as rick was just the karaoke guy ;-)

just a sec

JohanSebatianGremlin
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    Re: Keyboard guys - question - rick astly early 90s sounds in sonar 2016/11/15 20:15:22 (permalink)
    I only listened to the first 30 seconds or so of a youtube clip of it because quite frankly, if I listened to much more, I'd probably have to invoice you for my pain and suffering. ;-)

In that short time I heard four basic elements. A synth bass thing, an analog string pad, a synth brass/string patch and a FM-like bell thing. You should be able to find something fairly close to the synth bass and bell thing in FM8. You will likely have to do some tweaking but the factory patches should get you pretty close. Massive should have something close to the string pad in there somewhere. And if not, I bet Absynth has something very close as a part of a more complex patch. Mute off the other elements of the patch and there you are. 

The brass/string patch thing will be a bit more difficult to find in Komplete. If it were me, I'd be looking in the Arturia stuff for that but since you don't have that available, you'll have to get creative. You should be able to do some layering of maybe some FM8 synth brass and a Massive analog string thing to get you close.  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1