Kick Drum EQ / Sound

Author
studio1000b
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 40
2007/02/21 08:49:16 (permalink)

Kick Drum EQ / Sound

In working with a seperate kick drum track, does anyone have any tried and true methods of EQ-ing a kick drum. I understand the two main freqs. at about 60hz for the thump, and 1k for the snap of the beater. My problem is I keep getting an "air" sound or a whoosh.... The kick recorded really well, but i just cant seem to dial in the right sound. I've tried a low pass, and different eq settings, and also have cloned the track and took out everything but the low thump and blended the two, but it still sounds like your hearing the kick without any processing... in other words it's almost to "real" of a recording of the kick sound. Maybe it's the actual kick drum that needs work not sure??? How do you get that sweet warm round kick you hear on commercial recordings? Could it be the bleed into the other mics. I recorded the kit with 2 overheads and a snare mic all on seperate tracks. I have also tried a low pass on the other tracks. Maybe I'll get the drummer to use a trigger, and save myself some grief !

19 Replies Related Threads

themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 09:54:38 (permalink)
    What mic are you using? Have you experimented with mic placement? There isn't a tried and true method that I know of. If you search around, Yep has a nice writeup on how to zero in on the correct frequencies. Even with the same drum set and same mics and placement, I use different EQ settings on different songs.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    studio1000b
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 10:06:31 (permalink)
    Thanks Midiroom,

I have read YEP's article and tried his method, and I get a fairly good sound. Just trying to find "THE" sound. It was recorded with a Sure Beta 52, about 3-4 inches from the head.

I get good thump and can control the snap of the beater, but something is missing, or rather there that i dont want, it's like an airy woosh sound.
    post edited by studio1000b - 2007/02/21 10:34:40
    themidiroom
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 10:15:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: studio1000b

Just trying to find "THE" sound. It was recorded with a Sure Beta 52, about 3-4 inches from the head.

I get good thump and can control the snap of the beater, but something is missing, or rather there that i dont want, it's like an airy woosh sound.

Is that 3-4 inches from the head on the front of the kick? You might want to move the mic closer to the beater. You'll get less low end, but the sound will be sharper. I record a lot of gospel tend to go for a dark, deeper kick sound. Running a Beta 52 through a SSL Xlogic mic pre, it usually requires very little EQ

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 10:40:59 (permalink)
    Hi Jeff,

I was having the same kind of problems with a recent song, and Ed McG kindly offered up these suggestions, which worked well for me, with the addition of a medium to heavy noise gate to get rid of any bleed from the snare;

Original : Ed Mcg :

There are three frequency points of interest in a kick:
    - the fundamental, in the 40Hz to 80hz range, the boom
    - the body, in the 350Hz to 500Hz range, the skin sound
    - the tap, in the 2KHz to 4KHz range, the beater

*Note: these are all approximate, adjust to suit the kit and your taste.

You can carve away in between with cuts at, say at 200Hz, 700Hz and also HPF at 40Hz and LPF at 5K; then you don't have to boost the interest points as much.

Anyway the 4K tap adds that little extra bit of definition for a crisp attack on the kick without having to boost the low end all out of shape.

Hope it helps,

James

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    themidiroom
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 10:45:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213
    There are three frequency points of interest in a kick:

Good info. I'm still trying to figure out where the airy woosh sound came from. Also don't forget about compression.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    studio1000b
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 11:03:59 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, I think i will try a gate. I havent tried that yet.

Midiroom and James, if you want to hear a sample of the kick, this is my band's cover of Dani California. The beginning of the song is a real good sample of the kick sound.

Dani California
    MBP Studios
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 11:21:41 (permalink)
    I record mostly heavy metal and the most important part about getting a nice pop from the kick is the gate with a very fast attack and release. Also, I like to boost at around 4k to make it stand out through the mix a little better.

themidiroom how do you like that SSL Xlogic mic pre? I've been toying around with getting it since I am just running everything through my firepod at the moment, and although its transparent for the most part, I want to add a bit more color.
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 11:34:21 (permalink)
    I was listening to you're example, Dani. Actually, I kind of like the sound you're getting.

But, to get that meatier sound you could try this: use a very broad dip from 250Hz to 800Hz (set -4 ~ -6dB at 400Hz w/ Q=0.8) before the compressor. Set the compressor at 10ms attack 4:1, maybe higher; threshold down to get 6~9dB reduction and release just right to catch the end of the impulse, 80 to 110ms.

Also, you're probably getting a lot of the kick whoosh in from the overheads, you could try using that same eq on those as well, just take out less (just a couple dBs).

Try listening to the kick by itself and then enable the OHs, and listen to what happens.

Oh, are you gating the snare? You might be getting the whoosh coming in from there.

I like to gate the spot mics very tightly; it greatly simplifies things to have less "versions" of the same sound.
    themidiroom
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 11:36:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MBP Studios
    themidiroom how do you like that SSL Xlogic mic pre? I've been toying around with getting it since I am just running everything through my firepod at the moment, and although its transparent for the most part, I want to add a bit more color.

MBP Studios,
    I really love the Xlogic quad pres. It's been a really nice addition to the studio. Great on vocals and drums. I love the kick and snare sound; very punchy and warm. I haven't done any heavy metal so I'm not sure if that's the sound you're looking for. I tried running other things through the unit using a DI. Keyboards didn't work well at all. A clean Strat sounds really good; very rich and gutsy, but still cuts through a mix like a Strat usually does.

My gripes are: The Xlogic unit could double as a heater if your furnace stops working. The fit and finish don't seem to be all that great. I bought mine used and three of the gain pots were loose. Because the pots are motorized(can be remote controlled), it was hard to access them to tighten. Not sure if this was simply a design flaw or if the unit had not been taken care of.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    MBP Studios
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 11:44:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the answer. I'm thinking about getting the SSL 9000 K channel strip. I have the Waves SSL plugins and I love the way it sounds, so I figured if I could get that sound before I recorded it would save me time and probably get an even better sound. The heat might be a problem, but I'll probably just buy a bigger rack with cooling fans

Thanks again for the help.
    studio1000b
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 11:58:33 (permalink)
    Ed_Mcg

Thanks for the info, i'll give it a try. Are you saying I should gate the snare ? I guess it would make sense. I was reading about the Sonitus gate, and how you can set it to gate different freqs. I'll check that out too.
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 12:14:00 (permalink)
    I was reading about the Sonitus gate, and how you can set it to gate different freqs. I'll check that out too.

Most gates will allow you to set which freq to look at (or ignore) to trigger; once triggered, they let everything though, for example, the band to look for a kick would be in the 50 to 200Hz region, for snare you may be able to just look at 500 to 2KHz. On Sonitus, there are two slides for HPF and LPF, if I recall correctly. I think this is what you where saying; I just wanted to confirm that.
    post edited by ed_mcg - 2007/02/21 12:36:30
    fooman
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1382
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 12:33:11 (permalink)
    Be careful when gating the other close-miced drums. Especially the snare w/ the hi hat right next to it. If you totally gate off the snare, meaning when it's not played you hear nothing, then when it IS hit you will hear a lot more hi hat for the time the snare drum is above the gate's threshold. That, of course, is more drastic sometimes depending on how you miced your kit, snare, and how you play the drums.

What I do is start at full gate, and then raise the threshold until the difference isn't noticable or it's real hard to tell. Sometimes, it helps a snare hit to have a bit more hihat with it.. so try leaving the extra hihat volume in there too... hehe. When gating the kick drum I usually gate it full out. I have a rug over my kick, so usually there is little bleed into that mic.

YMMV
    studio1000b
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 13:52:36 (permalink)
    Thanks guys,

Cant wait to get home from the day gig to try these ideas!
    themidiroom
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 14:00:24 (permalink)

Thanks guys,

Cant wait to get home from the day gig to try these ideas!

Feel free to experiment, just make sure we get our royalty checks.
    As far as gating, fooman brings up a good point. Generally, I don't gate anything completely as it tends to not sound natural when the individual drum is hit. Sometimes, just knocking down the level 10dB makes a huge difference.
    I had a kick that was a bit too "mushy" and I put a gate on it. It had too much snap on it, but you can put a compressor in the chain or use an expander/gate/compressor to take off the edge.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 14:28:39 (permalink)
    Generally, I don't gate anything completely as it tends to not sound natural when the individual drum is hit.

Good advice - I made that mistake this week with a snare, and ended up with that 'Phil Collins' sound - ohhhh noooo!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    themidiroom
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 14:48:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Generally, I don't gate anything completely as it tends to not sound natural when the individual drum is hit.

Good advice - I made that mistake this week with a snare, and ended up with that 'Phil Collins' sound - ohhhh noooo!

Su Su Sussudio! The 80s were great!

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    fooman
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1382
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 19:04:10 (permalink)
    Anyone who says they hate 80's music is either a liar or just doesn't know the 80's yet. hehe
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Kick Drum EQ / Sound 2007/02/21 20:36:32 (permalink)
    How do you get that sweet warm round kick you hear on commercial recordings?

a lot of commercial recordings use pre-processed samples that are triggered. one thing that works for me is a huge dip between 300-400hz (1.0q, -6 to -12db or more depending on the track). you'll need to boost your lows (try anything between 60 and 75hz) and if you are getting "air" then a low-pass is in order. i like to have some attack on my kick, so i'll boost at 7k for that. i don't bother much with 1k. if you want to kill the air then set the low pass at 7k.

the other major thing is make sure your other instruments (especially bass!) are not masking your thump. you may need to take a whack at your bass down low, usually the same frequency you boost on the kick.

Could it be the bleed into the other mics. I recorded the kit with 2 overheads and a snare mic all on seperate tracks. I have also tried a low pass on the other tracks. Maybe I'll get the drummer to use a trigger, and save myself some grief !

yes it could - check all of your tracks and make sure they are time-aligned. basically what that means is finding where the peaks are and lining them up. you'll have to zoom in pretty far to do it right. when the sound hits the mics at different times it muddies up the attack and smears the thump. so line up those tracks.

triggering of course would be easier. =)

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1