Helpful ReplyKill your network to reduce latency

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2010/06/02 21:09:39 (permalink)

Kill your network to reduce latency

This came up in another thread, and I thought it might be of general interest. It's an easy technique even if you're not a propellerhead.

As we all know, networks and DAWs do not always play well together. A NIC is very often the culprit when diagnosing excessive DPC latency, for example. Wireless NICs are especially troublesome. Windows exacerbates the matter by assuming that nothing - not even streaming audio data - is more important than network traffic. If all that weren't bad enough, sometimes the network adapter shares an IRQ with the audio interface. Sometimes, the mere presence of a network connection can cause dropouts, limiting how many tracks and effects we can have. It can be so bad that even setting buffers up to very high values won't fix the problem.

This is why some folks go as far as to not even have a network interface in their audio workstations.

The problem with that solution is that sometimes it's darned handy to have your DAW on a network. An internet connection may be required to authorize a plugin, for example. Many audio software products are only available via download. And a LAN connection is very handy for backing up projects.

A nice alternative to having no network at all is to have a convenient way to turn the network off and on. Yes, you could do that via Device Manager, Control Panel or Windows profiles, but these are less than truly convenient.

But picture a desktop icon labeled "Disable Network" and a companion shortcut labeled "Enable Network". Click - network off. Click - network on. That's convenience.

While this does take just a little effort to set up, once in place it'll be ever so convenient to take the network on and off line. Here's how to do it.

Step #1: obtain a copy of devcon.exe
This is a free download from Microsoft. The download includes both 32- and 64-bit versions in a self-extracting zip file. Get them both here. Devcon is a command line tool that gives you the same functionality as Device Manager - but you can use it in batch files and desktop shortcuts.

(Warning: both 32- and 64-bit executables are named devcon.exe. Make sure you pick the right one for your O/S.)

Step #2: determine the device ID of your network adapter
Open Device Manager, scroll down to the network card, right-click and open Properties. The Details tab will show its ID.

These IDs are pretty long, but you can use CTL-C to copy a device ID to the Windows Clipboard so you don't have to type it all out. But it really isn't necessary to use the entire ID. The devcon tool we'll be using accepts wildcards, so you can just use a portion of the ID. For example, my network interface's ID is

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1677&SUBSYS_01AD1028&REV_01\4&117729E2&0&00E0

but I can specify it as *VEN_14*, which is much easier to type.

Step #3: create a desktop shortcut
Right-click in a blank space on your desktop and select New -> Shortcut. In the textbox, enter the full path to the devcon executable followed by the word "disable" followed by your network ID.

For example, on my machine devcon lives in a directory named "tools", so my shortcut command is this:
c:\tools\devcon.exe disable *VEN_14*

Click "Next" and give the shortcut a sensible caption, such as "Disable the Network".

Step #4 repeat step 3 but with "enable" in the command line

Create a second shortcut (or ctl-drag the first one), and substitute "enable" for "disable". This will be what you click on to turn your network back on. So my shortcut's command line reads:

c:\tools\devcon.exe enable *VEN_14*

Lastly, you can optionally assign icons to your shortcuts. Here's what mine look like:

You can use this same technique to disable any device that's causing problems, such as DVD drives. And there are many ways to extend the concept, such as invoking a batch file that not only kills the network but also stops unnecessary background processes. Or starts SONAR at an elevated priority, or runs it as Administrator. Or writes the date and time to a file if you're billing by the hour.

Now, want to see if this really has a measurable effect on your computer? Start up DPC Latency Checker and note the values. Click on your new "stop network" shortcut while the DPC Latency Checker is still running. You'll see a big red spike as the network shuts down, but after that you should see reduced average latencies.

Of course, if your network adapter was never a problem in the first place, you can ignore this entire post.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/02 21:51:51 (permalink)
bitflipper

This came up in another thread, and I thought it might be of general interest. It's an easy technique even if you're not a propellerhead.

As we all know, networks and DAWs do not always play well together. A NIC is very often the culprit when diagnosing excessive DPC latency, for example. Wireless NICs are especially troublesome. Windows exacerbates the matter by assuming that nothing - not even streaming audio data - is more important than network traffic. If all that weren't bad enough, sometimes the network adapter shares an IRQ with the audio interface. Sometimes, the mere presence of a network connection can cause dropouts, limiting how many tracks and effects we can have. It can be so bad that even setting buffers up to very high values won't fix the problem.

This is why some folks go as far as to not even have a network interface in their audio workstations.

The problem with that solution is that sometimes it's darned handy to have your DAW on a network. An internet connection may be required to authorize a plugin, for example. Many audio software products are only available via download. And a LAN connection is very handy for backing up projects.

A nice alternative to having no network at all is to have a convenient way to turn the network off and on. Yes, you could do that via Device Manager, Control Panel or Windows profiles, but these are less than truly convenient.

But picture a desktop icon labeled "Disable Network" and a companion shortcut labeled "Enable Network". Click - network off. Click - network on. That's convenience.

While this does take just a little effort to set up, once in place it'll be ever so convenient to take the network on and off line. Here's how to do it.

Step #1: obtain a copy of devcon.exe
This is a free download from Microsoft. The download includes both 32- and 64-bit versions in a self-extracting zip file. Get them both here. Devcon is a command line tool that gives you the same functionality as Device Manager - but you can use it in batch files and desktop shortcuts.

(Warning: both 32- and 64-bit executables are named devcon.exe. Make sure you pick the right one for your O/S.)

Step #2: determine the device ID of your network adapter
Open Device Manager, scroll down to the network card, right-click and open Properties. The Details tab will show its ID.

These IDs are pretty long, but you can use CTL-C to copy a device ID to the Windows Clipboard so you don't have to type it all out. But it really isn't necessary to use the entire ID. The devcon tool we'll be using accepts wildcards, so you can just use a portion of the ID. For example, my network interface's ID is

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1677&SUBSYS_01AD1028&REV_01\4&117729E2&0&00E0

but I can specify it as *VEN_14*, which is much easier to type.

Step #3: create a desktop shortcut
Right-click in a blank space on your desktop and select New -> Shortcut. In the textbox, enter the full path to the devcon executable followed by the word "disable" followed by your network ID.

For example, on my machine devcon lives in a directory named "tools", so my shortcut command is this:
c:\tools\devcon.exe disable *VEN_14*

Click "Next" and give the shortcut a sensible caption, such as "Disable the Network".

Step #4 repeat step 3 but with "enable" in the command line

Create a second shortcut (or ctl-drag the first one), and substitute "enable" for "disable". This will be what you click on to turn your network back on. So my shortcut's command line reads:

c:\tools\devcon.exe enable *VEN_14*

Lastly, you can optionally assign icons to your shortcuts. Here's what mine look like:

You can use this same technique to disable any device that's causing problems, such as DVD drives. And there are many ways to extend the concept, such as invoking a batch file that not only kills the network but also stops unnecessary background processes. Or starts SONAR at an elevated priority, or runs it as Administrator. Or writes the date and time to a file if you're billing by the hour.

Now, want to see if this really has a measurable effect on your computer? Start up DPC Latency Checker and note the values. Click on your new "stop network" shortcut while the DPC Latency Checker is still running. You'll see a big red spike as the network shuts down, but after that you should see reduced average latencies.

Of course, if your network adapter was never a problem in the first place, you can ignore this entire post.

I wonder if devcon does anything different them using disable in device manager. That seems to do the trick for me.
bitflipper
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/02 23:50:32 (permalink)
I wonder if devcon does anything different them using disable in device manager. That seems to do the trick for me.

It does exactly the same thing. My objective is to make it more convenient, or in my case automatic - I kill the network and start SONAR in one click.

My Stuff
ShadDOH
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1027
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/03 00:31:11 (permalink)
It's good information, but I just disable the NIC like ohhey

Please pray for Foxwolfen, pray for peace for him. And an end to any deception, anger, and hatred around him or influencing him.   

My stuff is here,  http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby 

gamblerschoice
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3226
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/03 01:15:01 (permalink)
Zone Alarm has a free firewall with a simple disconnect, it locks the internet out with a single click. I use it all the time. But, even with the above suggestions, you still need to turn off any anti-virus programs, they will continue to work in the background even when disconnected from the net.

Later
Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
lonesome road back home.
SeveredVesper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/03 02:07:09 (permalink)
Dave! I can't see where the 32-bit and the 64-bit ones are, there are no indications whatsoever, and it doesn't include Vista (32 nor 64) in the list of applicable systems.

Check out my band's song on YouTube!

Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/03 04:26:16 (permalink)
+1 (SeveredVesper)
For Windows 7/Vista ... you might consider vscript.

1) A File To Disable Networks and Launch Sonar (copy the code below to notepad and save it to your desktop (or such) as "Sonar With No Networks.VBS"

strComputer = "."
' This adds the Admin Run Function for Windows Vista and 7
' You must put this at the top below computer and End If at the
' very end of the script
If WScript.Arguments.length = 0 Then
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", """" & _
WScript.ScriptFullName & """" &_
" RunAsAdministrator", , "runas", 1
Else
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _
"SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkAdapter Where NetEnabled = 'True'")
For Each objItem in colItems
Wscript.Echo "Name: " & objItem.Name & VbCrLf & _
"Description: " & objItem.Description
objItem.Disable
' Wscript.Echo
Next
MsgBox("All Network Adapters have been Disabled.")
End If
Sub Run(ByVal sFile)
Dim shell
    Set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    shell.Run Chr(34) & sFile & Chr(34), 1, false
    Set shell = Nothing
End Sub
Run "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\SONAR 8.5 Producer\SONARPDR.exe"
2) Make another file: "Re-enable Networks.VBS"
strComputer = "."
' This adds the Admin Run Function for Windows Vista and 7
' You must put this at the top below computer and End If at the
' very end of the script
If WScript.Arguments.length = 0 Then
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", """" & _
WScript.ScriptFullName & """" &_
" RunAsAdministrator", , "runas", 1
Else
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _
"SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkAdapter Where NetEnabled = 'False'")
For Each objItem in colItems
Wscript.Echo " Name: " & objItem.Name & VbCrLf & _
"Description: " & objItem.Description
objItem.Enable
' Wscript.Echo
Next
MsgBox("All Network Adapters have been Enabled.")
End If
post edited by Philip - 2010/06/03 04:29:07

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
SeveredVesper
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/05 13:56:41 (permalink)
Thanks Philip!

RogerS
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/06 01:03:47 (permalink)
Thank you Philip - Your script works perfectly.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
SeveredVesper
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/06 01:59:44 (permalink)
Dave ang Philip, by any chance, do you guys work as recording tech-support or something? I'm amazed at your knowledge with these things.

pcalo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/06 10:35:39 (permalink)
Fogive my ignorance, but is it not enough to turn off my wifi switch?
SeveredVesper
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/06 12:30:30 (permalink)
@pcalo
Yes it is really not enough to do so, as long as your network keeps on seeking for a connection or if your net card is enabled, it will still eat up some proccessing load.

Philip
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/06 13:48:03 (permalink)
SeveredVesper and RogerS,

Hopefully you'll be able to adjust these 'beginner' scripts to suit.  There are many google sites to learn from.  I've updated/tweeked the scripts a bit ... which I'll place on my other thread, here ... after others give there input.

I lust after programming solutions to make artsy inspiration a bit easier.  I program a bit for my day job (to survive).  I learn mostly by googling and lurking forums.

Most of you Sonarites do the same thing within Sonar's parameters and Sonar's 'higher' language.  Still, I'm pretty stupid (but dumb) with a lot of Sonar concepts, even after 3 years. 

I appreciate your expertise a lot, SeveredVesper.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

RogerS
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 330
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 00:33:06 (permalink)
Philip

SeveredVesper and RogerS,

Hopefully you'll be able to adjust these 'beginner' scripts to suit.  There are many google sites to learn from.  I've updated/tweeked the scripts a bit ... which I'll place on my other thread, here ... after others give there input.

I lust after programming solutions to make artsy inspiration a bit easier.  I program a bit for my day job (to survive).  I learn mostly by googling and lurking forums.

Most of you Sonarites do the same thing within Sonar's parameters and Sonar's 'higher' language.  Still, I'm pretty stupid (but dumb) with a lot of Sonar concepts, even after 3 years. 

I appreciate your expertise a lot, SeveredVesper.

Yup, I already adjusted the scripts to display less info. I've been a programmer for my entire career, but I never got into VB scripts. Might be worth a look. Thanks again.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
Philip
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 01:58:03 (permalink)
Likewise RogerS,

Many VB scripts, JScripts, HTML, batch files and other native routines are worth googling/modifying for personal use.

I've programmed a lot for my podiatry practice in various languages and that has been fairly lucrative. 

It oft pays off (for me it seems), the hours spent trying to become more efficient.

Philip  

NoKey
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 974
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 05:50:11 (permalink)
The Windows wouldn't try to connect if the wifi is OFF, or if the internet connection by cable is OFF.

I dont turn off the internet any way..Only the browser if I don't need it.

I have Sonar playing a song I recorded right now, and opened another instance of Firefox into YouTube, into a video of someone performing a song. It plays both the Sonar and the Youtube.

Sonar says CPU 8 or 9%...

So I also now turn on the Process Explorer, and it show a total CPU load of 58%.

I don't run VSTi's in Sonar though. Only standalones and use virtual MIDI-Yoke and MIDI-Ox for the routings of hardware and softwares.

I do have VST audio effects, though in the audio tracks.

I do realize that each system and tasks are different for each, but I frankly don't share the concern as it relates to internet connections..

The exception would be if Windows wants to do an UPDATE or so... But those can be scheduled or blocked.

Or as suggested, turn the wifi off, or unplug the DSL cable sounds like a reasonable first alternative.

But I, my experience here an view is limited to what I do and have here, of course. But hope that sharing the view and comment is not considered an opposition to anything.
Mix Master
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 08:50:24 (permalink)
Good Info bitflipper, and everyone else who has contributed to this thread.  I will definitely be using this shortcut in my setup.   
Philip
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 10:16:01 (permalink)
NoKey: It sounds like you have an excellent DAW setup (which I seem to have).  It also seems like you're mostly content with the 'work-arounds' you have.  "If its not broken, why fix it.", etc.

If you/I are uncomfortable with personal scripts and batch files, I'd only use only simple ones that are necessary and/or comfortable. 

If you ever need a simple one; perhaps there's such a batch file that you'd use for a season.  Another problem with batch files is that they must be updated.

I'm scared to make direct registry changes, even as a programmer!

Many artists are more comfortable with traditional switches than new ones (ie. scripts) 'in-the-box'.

Philip  

tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 11:43:02 (permalink)
I feel the need to emphasize that if your network is enabled and you aren't having problems, then don't try to fix what isn't broken.

I've been using Sonar since v1 in our studios and all DAWs are on our gigabit network. We run version control software so we are constantly saving and retrieving projects from the version control server. We are all on the internet. We run antivirus. And we run at a 128 ASIO buffer size with no problems.

I have never been able to blame the wired network for a problem with Sonar.  Wireless, yes. I do have some laptops with Sonar and wireless and the wireless drivers have caused problems.

And I don't doubt that there are poor wired network drivers that will cause glitches. But there are video cards that do that as well, and we DAW users steer clear of them. We should also steer clear of those bad network interfaces.

I realize that a video card is a necessity and a network interface isn't... mostly... (it's increasingly more necessary as time goes on). IMO it's better to fill your DAW with good hardware than to try to work around poor hardware's failings. But that's just how I prefer things and if others don't want to have their network enabled that's fine. (it is a decent security measure) I just don't want people reading this to think that they have to disable their network to run a DAW. Or that they have to disable anything if there isn't actually a problem with their DAW.

Freeze 1st
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 371
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 13:09:18 (permalink)

If you use Vista and you just want a shortcut icon to turn ON/OFF your network you can do this :

Click Start, Select Network, Select Network and Sharing Center, Under TASK select Manage Network Connections, you will see an icon for your Network connection, all you have to do is either "Drag and drop that icon onto your desktop" or "Right Click over the icon and select to create the shortcut, it want allow you to create the same shortcut there so it ask to add it to the desktop, just select yes.

When you double click on that icon on your desktop it will give you the menu with the selection "Disable" to disable your network. When you want to turn your network back on just click on the short cut you created again to enable it.

You can also drag that Short Cut Icon to the quick launch bar on the bottom left if you just want to single click it instead of having to double click it on the desktop.

"If you ever have any problems, which I never have had, you can always Start/Network/Network and Sharing Center and select Diagnose and Repair", or just right click and select Diagnose and repair on the network connection icon on the bottom right of your screen "The two monitors symbol".

You can also just click on the Shortcut Icon you created and run diagnose from there.

You can probably do this in XP or Windows 7 in a similar way, I haven't used XP in a while so I can't remember the menu selections, I would think Windows 7 would be similiar to Vista, I've only used their Beta version of 7 and that's been a while back so I can't remember.

If your computer has a lot of memory and processor power you may not even need to turn off the network connection or see any difference in performance. A lot of this stuff has to do with automation IMO, I have my computer take care of things at a time when I don't use it, so there's very little accessing my connection, and when it's done it turns itself off.

Bobby

post edited by Freeze 1st - 2010/06/07 13:19:36
NoKey
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 974
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 15:55:26 (permalink)
Hi Philip,

My equipment and setup are modest...Like most, I'd like to have better, of course.

What I got up to now is mostly figuring out things, being persistent, asking questions, reading posts, and so forth.

I've had many issues in learning on a do-it basis, but so far can't say that connecting to the internet has been one.

In my case, it's connecting to the internet that has helped me in many ways, including learning songs, often by listening to different versions, and often playing along pasts with some of those Youtube videos till I kind of get it.

I don't consider to have any high level on any thing, but it is the nature of my situation that does seem to be that being connected to the web is quite useful..So, I will clarify that connecting to the web while running Sonar is for didactic reasons.

In other words, I'm most often in the learning or experimenting mode,  so that's why I do typically stay connected.
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 15:58:02 (permalink)
Not to take this thread too far off track, but I'm wondering if anybody else has had trouble identifying the device or service causing the DPC latency problem?  I'm getting a steep DPC latency spike on my WinXP system every 7 seconds like clockwork.  The rest of the time, the latency is very low.  I've gone through the device manager and disabled pretty much every nonessential device from the network adaptor to optical drives, and it didn't make any difference.  I've disabled several obvious services too, and I can't find the culprit. 

Does the regular timing of this spike suggest anything to anyone?  I'm not sure where to look next. 

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
Philip
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 16:30:21 (permalink)
NoKey, I feel like I'm exactly like you in this regard.

Henkejs: Freeze1st, gave me this Vista/Win7 optimizer info ... which I test drived today only and have had seemingly great results with it.  I'll share the info (at your risk): http://www.snapfiles.com/get/vsoptimizer.html

Philip  

SeveredVesper
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 16:36:03 (permalink)
henkejs

Not to take this thread too far off track, but I'm wondering if anybody else has had trouble identifying the device or service causing the DPC latency problem?  I'm getting a steep DPC latency spike on my WinXP system every 7 seconds like clockwork.  The rest of the time, the latency is very low.  I've gone through the device manager and disabled pretty much every nonessential device from the network adaptor to optical drives, and it didn't make any difference.  I've disabled several obvious services too, and I can't find the culprit. 

Does the regular timing of this spike suggest anything to anyone?  I'm not sure where to look next. 

Excellent question - I asked BitFlipper the same problem of regularly spaced spikes, he said it wasn't really determinable where to specifically find 'em. Although i have already exterminated the regularly spaced spikes with a few more tweaking, but i still get spikes of 1000 that i can't really eradicate whatever i do.

Freeze 1st
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 18:07:52 (permalink)
Philip

Henkejs: Freeze1st, gave me this Vista/Win7 optimizer info ... which I test drived today only and have had seemingly great results with it.  I'll share the info (at your risk): http://www.snapfiles.com/get/vsoptimizer.html

I am going to try and take this ideal a step further. I've thought of this for some time but never was sure of a couple of things.

What I am going to do is create a .bat to have Windows changed to where it only loads up my daw and the resources it needs upon startup. I'm not sure if this is going to work or not but we shall see. BTW: I have everything securely backed up just incase.

What I'm going to try is first, I have a backup of the registry keys that execute the programs that start with Vista saved or backed up in a seperate folder, along with a FULL REGISTRY BACKUP.  What I hope to do is have the .bat file using command lines using reg.exe to do the following :

1st : Backup the registry as a second precaution
2nd : Change the registry entry to where the network is shutdown upon reboot
3rd : Remove the startup registry entries from the registry "In other words, no virus protection or nothing will load except windows", there want be a need for protection or any of those other programs that load with my system because I want be connected to a network and the only thing I will be running is my daw and windows.

4th : Import in the registry to where the only thing auto loading with windows startup will be my Daw.
5th : Have it Reboot the computer

If all goes well it will work, I haven't gotten into the driver registry entries yet, I'm just going to try this to see if it's possible.

Hopefully if this works right the .bat file will change everything back when I exit the daw and reboot, or I may have to write another .bat file to correct all this mess.

I used to do something similiar a long time ago with Windows 98, but there's a big difference there, because all I had to do then was have changes made to config.sys and autoexec.bat, mostly just copying and moving different configurations around. You can't do that with Vista it uses a parse setup.

Oh well, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS TO ANYONE! But I thought I would mention this to you Philip and see what you think? It should be simple to do. Although the .bat file would change for each system because not everybody has the same programs that load up at startup automatically.

Bobby

Philip
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 18:53:33 (permalink)
Freeze 1st

Philip

I am going to try and take this ideal a step further. I've thought of this for some time but never was sure of a couple of things.

What I am going to do is create a .bat to have Windows changed to where it only loads up my daw and the resources it needs upon startup. I'm not sure if this is going to work or not but we shall see. BTW: I have everything securely backed up just incase.

What I'm going to try is first, I have a backup of the registry keys that execute the programs that start with Vista saved or backed up in a seperate folder, along with a FULL REGISTRY BACKUP.  What I hope to do is have the .bat file using command lines using reg.exe to do the following :

1st : Backup the registry as a second precaution
2nd : Change the registry entry to where the network is shutdown upon reboot
3rd : Remove the startup registry entries from the registry "In other words, no virus protection or nothing will load except windows", there want be a need for protection or any of those other programs that load with my system because I want be connected to a network and the only thing I will be running is my daw and windows.

4th : Import in the registry to where the only thing auto loading with windows startup will be my Daw.
5th : Have it Reboot the computer

If all goes well it will work, I haven't gotten into the driver registry entries yet, I'm just going to try this to see if it's possible.

Hopefully if this works right the .bat file will change everything back when I exit the daw and reboot, or I may have to write another .bat file to correct all this mess.

I used to do something similiar a long time ago with Windows 98, but there's a big difference there, because all I had to do then was have changes made to config.sys and autoexec.bat, mostly just copying and moving different configurations around. You can't do that with Vista it uses a parse setup.

Oh well, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS TO ANYONE! But I thought I would mention this to you Philip and see what you think? It should be simple to do. Although the .bat file would change for each system because not everybody has the same programs that load up at startup automatically.

Bobby

Freeze,

I hope I'm not corrupting your hypotheses in any way and I appreciate your precautions if you do this.  Especially after your suggestions have swayed my batch/script programming ideas into vanity ('re-inventing the Vista Services Optimizer wheel).

The hypothesis: Launch Sonar straitway as an isolated DAW Vista/Win7 machine (via a batch file(s) and/or other programming) seems perfectly awesome:  I'd hypothesize:

1) It should prevent us music-geeks from drifting off into internet wastelands

2) It might afford the simplest and/or purest DAW experience to date

3) It would be like turning on a Fantom keyboard or vox-pre or guitar amp to let the instrument warm up.

4) A savy user (not necessarily a geek) should be able to modify and apply your batch processing into his laptop for that pure DAW experience ... on the road

5) It should be do-able ... as others have done similarly for their workstations, games, etc. ... to google their knowledge.

6) It should better not frustrate you, as this will doubtlessly take some time to write, re-write, and tweak.

7) I suppose your/my computer could even consider to have a 'seperate' dual boot for this (later).  (That may be another nightmare!  We'd stick to your idea 1st)

Philip  

Freeze 1st
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 22:08:44 (permalink)
Philip - Your right, I started to work on this ideal, but I stopped because I realized that instead of spending more time with music as have been my plans as of late, I would be spending endless hours trying to do something that I really don't need to do. My Daw and everything is running fine so I am going to cease on this project.

It's funny that a whole lot of these so called "Tweak programs", a lot of them use more computer processing power just to try and get things right for everyone that they defeat their own purpose. I guess in the end, if it's working don't fix it is probably the best thing.

Although I must say, I am always trying out the latest freeware program tweaks there is if it looks promising or helpful.
I have a pretty good list I think might help others I probably should post of freeware programs.

I ain't no tweak genius or expert, I just know what works for me and read a lot of reviews before I use a program.

Bobby

Philip
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/07 23:49:20 (permalink)
Excellent, Freeze; I was a bit worried.  I am certain you made the right decision in this instance.  I myself will try to tweak the Vista Services Optimizer and count my blessings.  I confess I have looked a blackviper.com again for ideas (again) to consider for a few snapshot service configs for VSO.  VSO gets about 98% of the Win7/64 services (it misses SmartFetch on my system and finds one other service absent in my system)

You're doing like all of us, 'polishing your act' and trying to 'cover all bases'.  IOWs, your next song should be hearty and great ... filled with guitar tones, etc.

I did a quick search on booting to programs ... and others seemed to state: "Place the (i.e., Sonar.exe) shortcut in the startup folder".  I couldn't find anyone (yet) who tried something similar to your cool idea.  I'm not sure how my dual boot silliness would work either.

Philip  

bitflipper
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/08 00:23:10 (permalink)
Not to take this thread too far off track, but I'm wondering if anybody else has had trouble identifying the device or service causing the DPC latency problem? I'm getting a steep DPC latency spike on my WinXP system every 7 seconds like clockwork.

If you're running XP, use a Microsoft tool called kernrate. For other O/Ss, use xperf. I don't have much experience with the latter, but have used kernrate to successfully identify which driver was responsible for DPC peaks.

My Stuff
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re:Kill your network to reduce latency 2010/06/08 11:58:05 (permalink)
bitflipper

If you're running XP, use a Microsoft tool called kernrate. For other O/Ss, use xperf. I don't have much experience with the latter, but have used kernrate to successfully identify which driver was responsible for DPC peaks.

Thanks.  I'll give it a try.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1