Komplete 7 install over Komplete 6 still confused?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2010/12/13 10:26:33 (permalink)

Komplete 7 install over Komplete 6 still confused?

I thought I'd ask over at the NI forum... but they don't have an actual Komplete forum... they just have the components.

So, here I am again and I'm intimidated by the Komplete installer.

I did a full system backup so I'm ready to go.

1) How can I tell if I have a more recent update that what came on the Komplete discs? I think I'm up to date.

2) Will the installer simply overwrite my previous installs in the default directories?

3) When the installer says "the entire feature will be unavailable" does that simply mean it will not be installed? In other words will my previous install be left untouched?

4) From what I can see, I just want some sample libraries and maybe the finger from the Komplete 7 update... what is the best way for me to install that with a minimum of collateral damage?

thanks,
mike

4 Replies Related Threads

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    Re:Komplete 7 install over Komplete 6 still confused? 2010/12/13 11:18:25 (permalink)
    1) If you're up to date, you've got later versions of Reaktor and Kontakt than what's on the installer DVD. The rest should be the same.
    2) Why overwrite the previous installs if you're up to date?  :~
    3) Correct
    4) Just select what you want to install in the installer.

You're making this to be a lot harder than it is, Mike  :~

ew
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Komplete 7 install over Komplete 6 still confused? 2010/12/13 11:35:23 (permalink)
    Hi eric,

Thanks.

I'm on Win XP 32... the dialog box with the select what to install thing didn't really seem to give me much feedback when I clicked on the choices. It doesn't seem like an overview where you can see the status of all your selections at once. Its confusing.

I hate to waste time installing and I really hate to waste time restoring from a back up if I screw up an install... so that is why I try to understand the process before I start.

It's really difficult to figure out where the Library stuff is going to install too. It is listed as Komplete 7 content. I would like to put my Kontakt 4 stuff in a folder called D:/sample libraries/Kontakt 4. I'd like the other stuff to be in relatively similar places. I gave up and made a new folder called Komplete 7.

With the VST installer, I have all my N.I. stuff in C:/Programs/VST Plugins/Native Instruments. Was I supposed to choose C:/Programs/VST Plugins/ or C:/Programs/VST Plugins/Native Instruments?

It's all just the typical stuff... it just so happens that the scale of Komplete makes the decisions seem more crucial.

I frequently open old projects and am accustomed to them finding everything, so it is important to me to try to maintain backwards compatibility as I evolve.

I determined by looking at each of my N.I. "abouts" that I had downloaded but not installed many of the updates... so I chickened out and am simply installing everything. It will be a little slower at first but hopefully I can forget about it and simply enjoy Komplete for the next year without worries or backwards compatible issues.

Thanks for your help.

best regards,
    mike

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    Re:Komplete 7 install over Komplete 6 still confused? 2010/12/13 11:58:00 (permalink)
    If you use a NI subfolder in your normal VST folder, by all means, point the installer there. NI doesn't create a separate subfolder for their plugins.

After the original install, any updates will find the right plugin folder automatically.

ew
    post edited by ew - 2010/12/13 11:59:10
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    Re:Komplete 7 install over Komplete 6 still confused? 2010/12/20 16:19:37 (permalink)
    Worst case scenario, if you accidentally overwrite an newer version with an older one from the DVD, Service Center will tell you to update, right?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1