Kontakt 5 on Vista (and XP)

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2011/09/13 00:15:08 (permalink)

Kontakt 5 on Vista (and XP)

I asked a question on the NI forums, has any one running Kontakt 5 on Vista - The thread is here
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?p=928180&posted=1#post928180

has anyone here had any sucess running Kontakt 5 on somthing other than the offically supported Windows 7?
Edit related XP thread here.
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148563
post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2011/09/13 00:19:54

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

8 Replies Related Threads

StevenMikel
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re:Kontakt 5 on Vista (and XP) 2011/09/13 02:17:37 (permalink)
    I have XP SP3,I downlaoded the Kontakt 5 Player and,the file wouldn't open,I don't remember the message I got though.I tried it 3 times,with no luck.
    Bajan Blue
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2029
    Re:Kontakt 5 on Vista (and XP) 2011/09/13 13:06:54 (permalink)
    Hi
    I looked at those threads - the only one saying it works is Evil Dragon - does he have something to do with NI - I only ask as he seems to advertise writing scripts - just made me think he may have  a vested interest in claiming everything is rosy in the NI garden!!!!
    Cheers
    Nigel

Nigel
    Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
    www.devinelie.com

strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Kontakt 5 on Vista (and XP) 2011/09/13 13:22:45 (permalink)
    He's on KVR saying it works too. He's a fairly active member and there's no mileage in him saying it works if it turns out it doesn't. Anyway, it's reported that it works but who is reporting it and to whom is another question!
    ptheisen
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re:Kontakt 5 on Vista (and XP) 2011/09/13 14:56:35 (permalink)
    For what it's worth:

My recent search for an alternative sample library led me to Native Instruments for the first time. I waited too long to get K4, so I tried the K5 player on my XP 32bit DAW running Sonar PE 8.5.3. It ran fine, though since I'm new to Kontakt, I certainly wasn't pushing its limits. Given that success, I took a bit of a risk and bought Komplete 8. Everything I have tried so far seems to work as expected, and I am very satisfied with it. Again, I'm not an expert and YMMV.

As far as Evil Dragon is concerned, I am somewhat familiar with him from the Kurzweil forums. I wouldn't say that I agree with him on every subject, but I have no reason to doubt what he says in this context. Especially since it supports my personal experience!
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Kontakt 5 on Vista (and XP) 2011/09/13 23:22:29 (permalink)
    ptheisen

For what it's worth: 

Quite a bit, I think.  Thanks for the input.

Some NI staffers have said it "will probably work" on XP on the NI forum, which I interpreted as they had probably had it running on XP but did not want to support any issues that may arise.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    ptheisen
    Re:Kontakt 5 on Vista (and XP) 2011/09/14 13:57:58 (permalink)
    Glyn,

Glad to be of some help. I'd say your interpretation of the NI staffers is right on.

Since I'm new to NI, I'd be interested in hearing about your and other Sonarites' experiences with their products, especially in a Sonar context.

I know that, as with many software companies, there's significant controversy about things like upgrades and discontinued products, but I'm asking more about the products themselves: do you think they are decent quality, do they work well with Sonar, things like that. So, all you Sonar/NI users, what can you tell me?

Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re:Kontakt 5 on Vista (and XP) 2011/09/15 11:19:17 (permalink)
    I'm fairly new to NI products as well (at least owning the full products) and I have to say that the quality of sounds are top notch with NI. They have cornered the market in quality, but leave left to be desired on support to existing customers and some of the discontinuation of "kore" products. Some of their business decisions have left a bad taste in a lot of customers (Sonar as well as other platforms).

I've personally had excellent experiences with Sonar and NI's products....when I did have 1 or 2 issues, they were from my own misunderstanding and doing.
    I've used all the free software that NI has (Kore player, Reaktor player, Kontakt player etc...) and they worked as advertised without any issues in Sonar....as a matter of fact, they actually worked out really well!! I now own Kontakt 4, Prism (used through the Reaktor Player), Battery3 (excellent drum sampler), and now I'm planning on getting Komplete 8 (confirming it'll work with Vista/XP).
    Ptheisen, I think you'll be very happy with NI's products, but since each persons DAW is unique, it might be good to test out all the free/demo products NI has before actually buying them.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    ptheisen
    Re:Kontakt 5 on Vista (and XP) 2011/09/15 18:08:10 (permalink)
    Mesh,

Thanks for your input. I think I'll be happy with the NI products also, as long as I don't get too carried away on the future upgrade/discount/discontinued merry-go-round. My philosophy is to only buy something if I think it is a good value at the time I buy it, and not worry about what happens after that. I can't control what happens, and it doesn't really change the fact that I considered it a good value at the time.

As far as testing before I buy, it's too late! I bought Komplete 8 (after testing the K5 player) not quite two weeks ago. The good news is that everything seems to be working fine on XP home SP3. Hope it works out well for you too.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1