Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me

Author
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
2017/12/23 17:31:23 (permalink)

Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me

Since I updated to the latest patch, I've had fairly regular occurrences of Kontakt crashing. The playback will halt due to an audio dropout, and then a message will pop up from Kontakt that it has crashed and needs to be restarted. It doesn't crash completely, in that after I clear the audio dropout and restart playback, any of the already-loaded Kontakt patches will still be functional and will play, but I will no longer be able to make changes to any of the Kontakt instances in the project, as the UI will no longer respond. Once I close and reload the project, all is fine again... 

Prior to the recent patch, Kontakt was rock stable and I had no problems on my system. Anyone else experiencing this behaviour?...

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU

16 Replies Related Threads

Sinclairgsport
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2017/12/30 09:26:45 (permalink)
    Yes, this update has ruined my installation, Kontakt is far too complicated for Mr average, most users only need 10% of it.
    Each time there is an update there are problems listed all over google, mainly caused by too many conflicts with operating system.

This update did not replace some old dll files , I had to reinstall every plug in , library etc until I did a file system check on dll and discovered all old files and therefore deleted them.
     My instability now occurs with audio , so I had to find ways to compensate for changed quality etc, and before anybody asks I have perfect audio set up, drivers, equipment. Other programmes like UVI, Pianoteq, Proteus work perfectly and are far less complicated in their editing.

JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/05 23:57:46 (permalink)
    Just another voice to add to the experience.
    Kontakt 5.7.3 update went through well without problems, but fail to see any benefit so far.
    As bugged and crash prone as before. Damnable bug about the save preset window hidden behind the GUI still alive in full glory. If you change anything in a preset and try to load another instrument, good luck. Condolences and workarounds have been advised for years.
    Update was supposed to accelerate the load time if you have many libraries. I calculate no difference. You wait with fingers crossed to see if it is a crash or extreme time to load.
    I do see now that the Hollow Sun multis freeze the program solid. Don't know where this benefit was introduced.
    Paranoia about Kontakt seems to be that release of third party libraries is so much depending on which version you have, and this problem is not consistent. Anyone playing with Kontakt is all too familiar with the fail to load a library because it was created in a newer version of Kontakt, even if you have the latest version installed.

Still love Kontakt. Only wish they would get serious and fix a few of the major plagues associated with it.

John
    Sinclairgsport
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/06 03:22:32 (permalink)
    To John, the fail to load message caused me days of pain, reinstalling plug ins, daw etc and didn't solve it. But!!!, voila, I did a file explorer check on all DLL files and discovered lots of old DLL files not deleted by updates, I deleted every old DLL and then made my daw point to the latest one and all my files loaded, I was chuffed. Good luck.
    JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/06 19:11:41 (permalink)
    Thanks Sinclair,
    This makes sense. Kontakt leaves so much garbage behind and a lot of the problems I'm experiencing are new over the last year or so after the updates. Off to do some house cleaning.
    John
    jude77
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1146
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/09 20:30:02 (permalink)
    Sinclairgsport
    To John, the fail to load message caused me days of pain, reinstalling plug ins, daw etc and didn't solve it. But!!!, voila, I did a file explorer check on all DLL files and discovered lots of old DLL files not deleted by updates, I deleted every old DLL and then made my daw point to the latest one and all my files loaded, I was chuffed. Good luck.

Could you explain. step by step, how you did that?  I would really appreciate it.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
    4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
    CakeAlexSHere
    • Total Posts : 577
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/09 20:50:07 (permalink)
    If you look at previous release note versions often it is recommend to reset and rescan the library within Kontakt when updating to certain versions.

https://support.native-in...atabase-reset-and-scan

This should clear a lot of problems

Otherwise uninstall and reinstall Kontakt, in the middle of this you could run the NI registry cleanup utility somewhere (Google for it).
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/10 00:20:45 (permalink)
    NI Kontakt has always acted like a cluster for me. I have a fully updated WIN7 64 system and I can't even update Kontakt to V 5.6 because of the silliness of needing a new graphics board so that NI Access looks pretty. The Old service center won't get past a failed update response. They lost my business a while back. Half of my Complete 9 instruments are waiting for updates but I'm not playing the game of chasing new hardware to get basic functions of their software to work. Too much CrapWare from N.I. over the past 5 years or so.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    CakeAlexSHere
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/10 00:42:32 (permalink)
    Rbh
    NI Kontakt has always acted like a cluster for me. I have a fully updated WIN7 64 system and I can't even update Kontakt to V 5.6 because of the silliness of needing a new graphics board so that NI Access looks pretty.

You are saying your display adapter (make/model?) is not compatible with Native Access and Kontakt?

Care to expand on the details? It doesn't make sense to me right now.

From what I've seen often display issues has been Windows scaling not at 100% or not on the latest display drivers (if nVidia you need to go to the Nvidia site to update).

You need OpenGL 2.1
    Sinclairgsport
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/10 08:18:51 (permalink)
    Jude 77, are you asking me about the dll files?
    jude77
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/10 15:40:48 (permalink)
    Sinclairgsport
    Jude 77, are you asking me about the dll files?

Yes.  That would be very helpful.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
    Sinclairgsport
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/10 20:24:27 (permalink)
    For Jude
    .dll files
    Open file explorer on pc, close all other programs.
    Click on "c" drive ( usually your main hard drive ) and open it
    Top right hand search bar enter Kontakt.dll and search.
    A lot of files should appear in the result ( may take a few minutes ) there will be 64 bit and 32 bit files.
    Sort the files in date order, there are buttons at top of screen to do this, sort in latest first.
    Then delete all files so you are left with 2 latest dated files, one for 64bit and one for 32bit.
    (Note the file dates will not be the date you installed Kontakt, but the computer wiz kid mod dates.)
    Remember the path that these file are in, it is best to have them in Kontakt5 folder.
    Restart PC
    Enter file explorer again and check only the 2 files are where they supposed to be.
    Enter stand alone Kontakt and run a few vsts , all should be working ok.
    Close Kontakt and then open your DAW.
    Open your plugin options or whatever its called in your daw, and make sure the 2 Kontakt dll,s are present as options for Kontakt, and that your program is pointing to these dll files. If you have other plugins in your daw you should see these also if you have a view all plugin choice in your daw.

Open Kontakt in your DAW, and hopefully it will be accepted, then from the plug in choice open up Kontakt in the daw, select a vst and it will open.
    Use a user created vst ( a Kontakt modified vst by you ) and it will open.
    all ends well, this solved all the error messages for me.

If you have some sound distortion, I had a lot in 5.7.3 then use the Kontakt editor and turn the amp volume button down, then if the output sound is too low increase it from your mixer or speakers. You can tweak the triangular slider ( top right of program ) a little also .
    Now no distortion  heh ee yippee

jude77
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/11 15:53:01 (permalink)
    Sinclairgsport
    For Jude
    .dll files
    Open file explorer on pc, close all other programs.
    Click on "c" drive ( usually your main hard drive ) and open it
    Top right hand search bar enter Kontakt.dll and search.
    A lot of files should appear in the result ( may take a few minutes ) there will be 64 bit and 32 bit files.
    Sort the files in date order, there are buttons at top of screen to do this, sort in latest first.
    Then delete all files so you are left with 2 latest dated files, one for 64bit and one for 32bit.
    (Note the file dates will not be the date you installed Kontakt, but the computer wiz kid mod dates.)
    Remember the path that these file are in, it is best to have them in Kontakt5 folder.
    Restart PC
    Enter file explorer again and check only the 2 files are where they supposed to be.
    Enter stand alone Kontakt and run a few vsts , all should be working ok.
    Close Kontakt and then open your DAW.
    Open your plugin options or whatever its called in your daw, and make sure the 2 Kontakt dll,s are present as options for Kontakt, and that your program is pointing to these dll files. If you have other plugins in your daw you should see these also if you have a view all plugin choice in your daw.

Open Kontakt in your DAW, and hopefully it will be accepted, then from the plug in choice open up Kontakt in the daw, select a vst and it will open.
    Use a user created vst ( a Kontakt modified vst by you ) and it will open.
    all ends well, this solved all the error messages for me.

If you have some sound distortion, I had a lot in 5.7.3 then use the Kontakt editor and turn the amp volume button down, then if the output sound is too low increase it from your mixer or speakers. You can tweak the triangular slider ( top right of program ) a little also .
    Now no distortion  heh ee yippee

THANK YOU!!  That was deeply appreciated and VERY kind of you!

Rbh
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/12 04:41:59 (permalink)
    CakeAlexSHere
    Rbh
    NI Kontakt has always acted like a cluster for me. I have a fully updated WIN7 64 system and I can't even update Kontakt to V 5.6 because of the silliness of needing a new graphics board so that NI Access looks pretty.

You are saying your display adapter (make/model?) is not compatible with Native Access and Kontakt?

Care to expand on the details? It doesn't make sense to me right now.

From what I've seen often display issues has been Windows scaling not at 100% or not on the latest display drivers (if nVidia you need to go to the Nvidia site to update).

You need OpenGL 2.1

I have a system build in 2010 that has a very nice dual display adapter - but only supports open GL2.0   - I updated to it's latest drivers - but no go. This was a 300.00 dollar adapter at the time and I'm just not going to chase hardware for another NI vaperware update. It is -  I believe a Matrox  M920 PCIE x 16.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
     Win7 Pro

CakeAlexSHere
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/12 05:09:00 (permalink)
    You mean 9120?
    Latest drivers and firmware (BIOS) here for M series:
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/

My cheapo 7 year old nvidia card works just fine with "vaporware update" on Windows 10 if you are already on the latest drivers and firmware sorry you got burnt! I notice Matrox don't often supply certified drivers.
    Rbh
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/13 22:04:33 (permalink)
    Yes - it is the 9120 ( was going from aged memory ) I did the latest driver update as noted prior in the thread - do you think the BIOS firmware update would get me to open GL2.1 or better?  I couldn't seem to find info on the Matrox site for that. Wasn't sure what the firmware update could do for me.   - or too me.

Edit : I did a quick search generically and it seems the openGL level is fixed in the whatever the card Is  - there is no software update. So  as I said earlier  - this is about a 300.00 dual head video card and it's about 6 years old.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
     Win7 Pro

CakeAlexSHere
    Re: Kontakt 5.7.3 update is causing instability for me 2018/01/21 02:15:32 (permalink)
    Funny how my 7 year old cheapo GeForce card works perfectly fine with same software. Sorry you got burnt. Then again running Windows 10 rather than 7 may also have something to do with it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1