Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What?

Author
samhoff
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 304
2005/10/12 15:15:22 (permalink)

Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What?

I'm an utter newbie (I apologize in advance; I've seen people get flamed for that!). I've been doing a fair amount of research, but am having a hard time getting an answer to this one question: I want to buy the VGP and the Malmsjo piano from Arti Vista ( http://artvista.net ). I e-mailed the guy who makes it, who has been great, and here's his answer, regarding both the Malmsjo and the VGP:

"The VGP does not need any additional software to be played as it has the playback engine built in. It can be used both as a plug-in together with Cakewalk, and as a stand-alone application. The Malmsjö, on the other hand needs a separate sampling software such as Kontakt, GigaStudio, or EXS24. Kontakt will run as a plug-in (as well as a stand-alone application) to your sequencer so it will be easy to use with Cakewalk. GigaStudio is a stand-alone, but not a plug-in, and I am not sure how you use it with Cakewalk. You probably would have to render the Giga performances to a wav file and open in Cakewalk. EXS24 is a plug-in sampler mostly specific to the Logic audio sequencer. There is also the Halion plug-in sampler, but I do not have a lot of experience of it."

So . . . if I'm understanding correctly, I can run the VGP in Project 5, but in order to play the Malmsjo, I will need to purchase either (1) Kontakt or (2) Gigastudio or (3) EX24. Is that correct? I would e-mail him back but I've actually bothered him quite a bit already. Are these apps pricey?

Thanks in advance for any help. I just don't want to buy something that's going to require even more $$$ to play (I just bought Project 5 and am going to buy VGP, and my wallet is hurting already).

Sam

10 Replies Related Threads

woodamand
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What? 2005/10/12 15:28:51 (permalink)
    You are right, sounds like Malmsjö will need a sampler. If you need a general purpose sampler, Kontakt 2, while not cheap, is pretty fabulous. It also includes a huge library, which has several grand pianos: http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=kontakt_us.
    However, if all you ever wanted to do was to play one specific instrument,buying Kontakt is no doubt overkill.
    I have to ask also, have you checked the pianos that are part of Dimension? Some nice keys there I think.
    Don't be shy about asking questions here, people are nice in this forum!

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
    samhoff
    RE: Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What? 2005/10/12 15:33:44 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks for the quick reply.

In my various plodding through these forums, though, it seems that I've come across more than a few disses at the NI's Kontact (mostly in the form of, "NI's Akoustik Piano is nice, but why didn't NI upgrade from Kontact because it really has a lot of problems.") I guess I was hoping that somehow Project 5 had something that did what Kontact did, but without the problems.

Is this a valid point?

Again, thanks woodamand,

Sam
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What? 2005/10/12 17:23:30 (permalink)
    I thought Gigastudio now ran as a plugin? Pretty sure the most recent version added this...

Anyway, the only other cheap alternative I can suggest is VSampler...not as nice an interface as the more expensive samplers, but if all you want to do is load up the instruments and play, then it should work fine. It imports both Giga and Kontakt formats (my own experience is that Kontakt import is pretty good and Giga import has seemed to work perfectly), so it may be worth checking this product out before dropping the bigger money on the other samplers...
    woodamand
    RE: Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What? 2005/10/12 17:38:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: samhoff

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply.

In my various plodding through these forums, though, it seems that I've come across more than a few disses at the NI's Kontact (mostly in the form of, "NI's Akoustik Piano is nice, but why didn't NI upgrade from Kontact because it really has a lot of problems.") I guess I was hoping that somehow Project 5 had something that did what Kontact did, but without the problems.

Is this a valid point?

Again, thanks woodamand,

Sam

Well, like every product in the world, there are some glitches in Kontakt, but I don't have any issues with it. People just love to knock NI stuff, but personally I like it a lot for what I do. Again, I have the 1.5 version, so I can't comment on V2. You could troll the NI forums, but you have to take that stuff with a grain of salt, like any opinions on any forums, people can get irate fairly easily some times (but not here in the P5 forum!). P5 does have a sampler, the DS864??? I don't use it since I have Kontakt, other folks that use it could speak to that.
    Like xylyx says, maybe VSampler would work well. I think you can download trial versions of each product, that is what I would do. Nothing replaces messing with it yourself, cause all things being equal you may just like the workflow in one better than the other, just like sequencers for instance.
    My advice: take your time, consider what you really want, and don't give into buyers remorse afterwards.
    and oh yeah, don't forget that making music is supposed to be fun!
    dana

S.L.I.P.
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What? 2005/10/12 18:15:43 (permalink)
    I love Kontakt 2. It has some bugs, but it is working fine on my computer. The 15gb of content is worth the price of admission.

www.slip2004.com
    samhoff
    RE: Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What? 2005/10/12 18:40:48 (permalink)
    P5 does have a sampler, the DS864??? I don't use it since I have Kontakt, other folks that use it could speak to that.

Wait a minute. . . so I COULD run this piano with the sampler that comes with P5? Or not? I think maybe you're saying that I could but it would be unwieldy (?). Hopefully you can all see why I'm confused. Someone told me that there was a steep learning curve with this stuff; I'm beginning to experience it (I'm really just a piano player).

Sam
    woodamand
    RE: Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What? 2005/10/12 19:32:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: samhoff

P5 does have a sampler, the DS864??? I don't use it since I have Kontakt, other folks that use it could speak to that.

Wait a minute. . . so I COULD run this piano with the sampler that comes with P5? Or not? I think maybe you're saying that I could but it would be unwieldy (?). Hopefully you can all see why I'm confused. Someone told me that there was a steep learning curve with this stuff; I'm beginning to experience it (I'm really just a piano player).

Sam

Well no, I didn't actually say that. You probably know that in order to make something like a sampled piano sound right, you have to have multiple samples spread over the lenght of the keyboard, and in many cases have more than one set of samples on a series of keys, for velocity sensitvity.
    So you could , in theory anyway, take a ton of samples from whatever company, and hand map them in the P5 sampler, and make yourself a piano that way. By my god you probably don't want to torture yourself that way. Thing is, if you buy a multisampled piano (or whatever) set that is set up for a particular sampler, you can just load that into your sampler, all the tedious work has been done for you, right? Or with many samplers, they can load multi-samples that are in say Akai format, into their sample engines. Kontakt for instance can load just about anything, but you must remember that when you are loading samples into your sampler and the samples are from another format you may lose some features that are native to that format.
    The short answer, I'm afraid, is no, you don't want to try this with the P5 sampler.
    I would suggest, as far as sampling goes, that you google it and do a bit of reading. Its not that hard to understand, and I'm sure that you can get better explanations than I can cook up while I am goofing off at work. Also, if you are new to midi, do some reading up on that too, there is much to learn.
    And don't get down on yourself if its seems hard to learn, I mean, its not anywhere near as difficult as learning a musical instrument, or learning to think musicially, if you see what I mean. And once you get an idea of what you can do with your new toys.......well......kiss your free time goodbye, you won't have any anymore!
    dana

DigiDis
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What? 2005/10/13 04:36:42 (permalink)
    Well, between the two samplers mentioned here I would think that Kontakt has less issues than Gigastudio. I migrated from Gigastudio 2.5 to Kontakt 1.5 awhile back and can say my migraines have stopped. Since then I have stayed current and now run Kontakt 2 with absolutely no problems. A buddy got Gigastudio 3 and is now experiencing some major migraines too.

A wise tutor once told me "perfection does not exist in an imperfect world." Good enough is good enough, and I think Kontakt is certainly good enough to get your job done.

I suppose you could also look into Halion 3, I have no experience with it.
    samhoff
    RE: Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What? 2005/10/13 14:01:18 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.

One more question, then. Can I sit down at my keyboard, record a song in Cakewalk with the the VGP sounds, then use the midi editor to remove bum notes, and save it as a "perfect" recording? If I can't do this I'm not sure what good it is to have digital piano! (Confession time: I haven't actually received P5 yet; I suppose it will become apparent when I receive it if this is possible or not. But whether or not I can do this may affect if I purchase VGP.)

Thanks,

Sam
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Kontakt? Gigastudio? Malmsjo? What? 2005/10/13 14:03:27 (permalink)
    Cos I'm hungry, I'll give you a short answer: Yes! (to both questions)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1