Kontakt Missing Files

Author
Ruckman65
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 148
2018/05/19 04:07:11 (permalink)

Kontakt Missing Files

I recently moved by Kontakt libraries to a new drive. I did a batch re-install and, when running Kontakt in standalone mode, all the libraries are found on the new drive. When I run Kontakt inside Sonar, it can't find the libraries and looks at the old location. I can find no way of pointing it to the right location. Batch does not work. I can manually find the files but that only works for the current session. When I restart Sonar, the files are again missing. Any clues? 

Win10 64bit Sonar Platinum
ASUS SSD 128gb
i7 Intel 2.8mhz
Toshiba Portable HD 2 gb x 3
16gb memory
Nvidia 960M
Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk II
Komplete Kontrol S49
Focusrite Sapphire 6i6

4 Replies Related Threads

smoddelm
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    Re: Kontakt Missing Files 2018/05/19 15:21:04 (permalink)
    What version of Kontakt?
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Kontakt Missing Files 2018/05/19 18:07:38 (permalink)
    SONAR knows almost nothing of Kontakt files beyond the location of the main DLL, e.g. "Kontakt 5.dll". SONAR remembers and restores whatever the control settings Kontakt exposes, such as the knobs and sliders and buttons we see in the UI. That's it.

All the information about where the samples are located and how they're loaded exists solely in the instrument definition (.NKI) file. SONAR knows nothing about NKIs, individual samples nor how they are used within the NKI. Repeated file-not-found messages (assuming the files aren't actually missing) indicate a problem with the instrument definition file.

Most NKIs are saved with relative paths to the sample files. By relative path, I mean relative to wherever the NKI happens to sit. Inside the NKI, it might have a pointer to "Samples\Some_File.ncw". Note that there are no clues as to where that Samples folder really is - it's expected to be a subdirectory beneath the NKI's folder.

This is why you cannot just move an NKI without moving all the subfolders and files associated with it. As long as you move them all and preserve the directory structure, then the NKI will have no problem finding what it needs.

I'm explaining all that in hopes it might trigger a lightbulb, but you can fix the problem even if you never figure out what really caused your problem in the first place. Maybe the NKI was built with pathnames that are no longer valid. This can happen if the developer used absolute paths (a rookie mistake that does happen). It can happen if you don't preserve the file structure when you move the instrument files.

Here's the quickest solution, that doesn't require much sleuthing: load the NKI, go through the "find missing files"
    dialog - and then re-save the NKI. You can save it under a new name to avoid messing with the original file, if you like. After that, your project should come up with no missing-file messages.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Ruckman65
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re: Kontakt Missing Files 2018/05/20 02:40:04 (permalink)
    Thank you for your replies. What I have found is that all files and folders were move correctly.

The issue is with songs created in Sonar prior to moving the folders. Those songs still search in the old location for the Kontakt files.

Songs created after moving the folders can find the folders without an issue.   

Seems like Kontakt keeps the file reference on a per song basis. 

Win10 64bit Sonar Platinum
    ASUS SSD 128gb
    i7 Intel 2.8mhz
    Toshiba Portable HD 2 gb x 3
    16gb memory
    Nvidia 960M
    Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk II
    Komplete Kontrol S49
    Focusrite Sapphire 6i6

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: Kontakt Missing Files 2018/05/20 14:07:06 (permalink)
    there is a way around that - have you tried doing a batch re-save? That solved the problem for me. Paul at Spitfire has a wonderful video that walks you through the process.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1