Helpful ReplyKontakt instrument favs?

Author
Maarkr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 488
2018/01/31 20:09:37 (permalink)

Kontakt instrument favs?

For those that have the full version of Kontakt, there are so many programs out there available.  
Anyone care to post one or a few of their fav instruments?

I use the rickenbacker bass a lot, others I've use a bit.  I just got the Hybrid Scoring Strings that just went on sale, but we'll see.  There's a bunch of pricey instruments also that I can't afford to buy.

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/01/31 21:54:53 (permalink)
Orange Tree Samples has some GREAT guitars, as does Elimov.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/01/31 21:55:59 (permalink)
It will entirely depend on what sort of music you make but check out.

Hollow Sun - Lots vintage synths and keyboards, Check out the "Prog Pack"
Orange Tree Samples - Some excellent guitars and basses. Steel Strings and Rock Standard are probably good starting points.
Bolder Sounds - Banjo and Mandolin
SoundIron - Venus and Mars Choirs. 

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/01 02:19:38 (permalink)
8Dio Anthology Strings - use their legato patches along with Albion ONE (another fav)
OrangeTree's Angelic Harp - really nice library
Embertone Recorders - lovely, rich, detailed, nice legatos
Sonokinetic Da Capo - great sketching tool, and I often find it useful in surprising ways

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
bigcatt
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 542
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/01 05:26:43 (permalink)
I adore the sound of the Dominus Choir. Realivox Blue for Solo Vocals.
For a sketcher orchestra, Berlin Inspire. Limited but lovely tone.
As mentioned above 8dio Strings for luscious sound, though can be a bit difficult. Look for sales!
Bravura Scoring Brass for solid sound at a good price.
Berlin Woodwinds sound lovely. The old version on steep sale. Sonokinetic Woodwinds Ensemble. Beautiful.
Impact Rhapsody Orchestral Percussion. Great value for money. Same people who do Bravura.
My buddy Sam's VSCO2 Pro for a ton of fun solo instruments, 23 Brass, 23 Woodwinds and great Percussion.
And see I didn't even mention any freebies. That may be a first!
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/01 10:10:56 (permalink)
SampleModelling brass, but I have a midi sax which seems much better suited than a keyboard

Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/01 16:40:28 (permalink)
It depends on what type of music you're making, there are so many instrument options for Kontakt.

I write mostly soul/rock stuff, and love the Session Horns Pro and Vintage Organs.   The 'Session Horns' package was impressive, but doesn't have the 'individual horn' option available in the Pro version.  However, there's an upgrade discount, so buying SH before SHP was well worth it for the try-out.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/01 18:08:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2018/02/02 17:15:54
I could write a book!

For strings,
  • if you are looking for minute control over details I'd suggest 8Dio Anthology or better yet, their predecessors Adagio and Agitato. If you are willing to spend the time these can sound really pretty.
  • If you want something that just sounds gorgeous, and you realize you won't use 100 articulations anyway look at Cinematic Strings and Cinematic Studio strings. I use these more than any of my other string libraries because they have that grand orchestral sound.
  • Both collections can cover a very wide array of applications.
Brass is a lot trickier because techniques used for concert, film, or popular styles differ radically.
  • For concert or film/theatre projects I've settled on Cinebrass from Cinesamples. I like the sound, and more important, for me, I really like the workflow. They sound great and they are really easy to control. I have only the core version.
  • For pop/rock/funk and even big band stylesI use Chris Hein Horns. There is a lot more work involved, but the results are (usually) worth the effort.
  • For a pit orchestra I'd use Fable Sounds Broadway Big Band. It is uncanny how well they've captured that whole thing. It is also stupid expensive, and I probably won't buy it until I have a project that specifically needs that sound. Nothing else comes close.
  • I really like the idea of Session Horns for trumpet, trombone, and sax, but for some reason it just doesn't work the way I need it to.
Winds are right up there in complexity with respect to application, except most winds aren't used as much in pop settings, except for saxes, which are included in the Chris Hein collection.
  • For concert/film work once again I use Cinewinds most of the time because they sound great, and they are really easy to use. Or rather their workflow fits mine?
  • I also really like the VSL winds. They are, again, a bit more work, but they sound glorious, and they sit so nicely in a mix.
  • As I mentioned, for popular styles I find the Chris Hein stuff works really well. I started with his Compact collection, and even after 'graduating' to the full version I keep Compact around because sometimes that's all I need.
Then there is percussion. You could spend months sifting through all the percussion libraries. Impact Soundworks and SoundIron both have percussion collections that work really well in film settings, maybe in concert settings. But there is just so much out there!
  • For rock and roll and pretty much any popular style I use Toontrack Superior Drummer. I'm sure I could get nearly as good a result with any number of Kontakt libraries, but I know how Superior works, so I use it.
  • I should mention Jim Roseberry's drum library, except it appears he no longer sells it. I still use it sometimes because I really like the sound.
  • If that's not enough you could spend a fortune on cool little hand percussion/found sounds libraries. SoundIron and 8Dio have tons of them, and every one is great. HandheldSound is another really cool company for this sort of thing, and absolutely pick up Perc+ from Modwheel for a wide variety of cool sounds. Impact Soundworks also has quite a few cool little libraries.
(disclaimer: I work for Realitone)
Vocals are among the most difficult sounds to sample. But you may still need them.
  • Realitone has two really cool pop oriented libraries - "The Ladies" and "Blue". I won't say more, except that I was a customer before I joined.
  • SoundIron, 8Dio, and Cinesamples all have really cool large choir libraries. They have lite versions too, which can be a really good starting point.
Guitars - well I'm a guitar player, so I record all my own tracks, but I also play around with a lot of guitar libraries.
Of the bunch Orange Tree Samples and Indiginus stand out as the best. Two different approaches, but uniformly good results. Orange Tree requires more effort, but then you get more detail. Impact Soundworks has a very cool metal style guitar library that I do use, because I'm not much of a metal style player, and I want to preserve my ears.

What else... pianos? There are too many piano libraries, electric and acoustic, none are perfect, and I own several to get around that. I would recommend any of the pianos from Sampletekk, they are among my favorites.

What else - I have no idea! If you have specific questions, or need more details let me know.

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/02 00:14:15 (permalink)
Maarkr
For those that have the full version of Kontakt, there are so many programs out there available.  
Anyone care to post one or a few of their fav instruments?

I use the rickenbacker bass a lot, others I've use a bit.  I just got the Hybrid Scoring Strings that just went on sale, but we'll see.  There's a bunch of pricey instruments also that I can't afford to buy.

Check out the ones bundled with Kontakt. Plenty of gems in there. I've never auditioned all of them and found out the choirs are very good.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
Magic Russ
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 412
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/02 01:32:23 (permalink)
Soniccouture has a lot of nice sounding chromatic percussion, vintage keyboards, and a few oddities.

Hideaway studios is another favorite of mine.  Dan Wilson has a business restoring keyboards and samples some of the rarities he encounters.  He also had a series called the Blue Zone which was largely what happens when MacGyver goes into a music studio ( "I hooked my doorbell into a military surplus radio and ran it through the ensemble unit of an old ARP string machine...")

Precisionsounds has a wide variety of ethnic instruments and grandma organs.

I like the Scarbee Rickenbacker, but was a bit less impressed with their P-Bass.

Check Out my presets for Rapture Classic
http://patcharena.com/dow...5c3a1a706c5f940397d297
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/02 02:00:19 (permalink)
Magic Russ
Soniccouture has a lot of nice sounding chromatic percussion, vintage keyboards, and a few oddities.

Hideaway studios is another favorite of mine.  Dan Wilson has a business restoring keyboards and samples some of the rarities he encounters.  He also had a series called the Blue Zone which was largely what happens when MacGyver goes into a music studio ( "I hooked my doorbell into a military surplus radio and ran it through the ensemble unit of an old ARP string machine...")

Precisionsounds has a wide variety of ethnic instruments and grandma organs.

I like the Scarbee Rickenbacker, but was a bit less impressed with their P-Bass.

Same here. A big bang for the buck. I plan to own all of them.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/02 02:02:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bigcatt 2018/02/02 05:34:48
Don't forget Hammersmith Pro for Pianos...
Keepforest has some nice libraries also for Epic Cinematic things...

Kontakt is definitely "The" sample player for sheer number of 
exquisite libraries available for it.

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/02 11:13:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2018/02/02 13:19:46
Darn! I forgot to mention Indiginus. Blue Street Brass is excellent, inexpensive and easy to use. The guitars are great value too.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: Kontakt instrument favs? 2018/02/02 14:37:09 (permalink)
Impact Soundworks Celestia and Sonic Ocean and Sonic Forest. Almost any Hideaway Studio but love the Chroma. The Giant and Una Chorda are favs. Abbey Road 50's Drummer. This does not have to be used for 50's rock. It has a very present (and intimate, if you want it) sound that can be used for anything. Great drums for Indie and just as good for Jazz. Jazz? IMHO. I bought it before it was in Komplete Ultimate. I'm glad I did. If I would have gotten it with KU I probably wouldn't have got to know it. That can happen with Komplete or KU.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1