Kore Player free at NI website

Author
lightninrick
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 972
2008/04/19 11:31:47 (permalink)

Kore Player free at NI website

kvraudio.com had an ad on their site for NI's Kore Player Free--a free software VST instrument that plays Kore 2 files. They helpfully supply about 150 MB of same with the download, which you can find here:
KORE Player Download PC

I downloaded and installed, and it certainly does sound fine. You can even tweak the patches. Patches are nicely organized in the module's main window also. This is the best freebie I've seen for some time.

NI also sells expansion packs for the player, including a Hammond C3 pack that they claim includes fully tweakable drawbars, percussion, rotary speaker, etc., for US $59 (about the same as the VB3). Not a bad deal if it's true, considering the comparable cost for NI's B4.

Regards, lightninrick

21 Replies Related Threads

ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/04/19 12:06:16 (permalink)
    I'm glad you like it =)
    A minor correction; the sample content's 300 MB, and not 150 MB.

And, yeah- the '57 Drawbar's tweakable. There's enough extra stuff in B4 (dual manual settings, cabinet choices, etc.) so B4's still worth the extra cash if you want the definitive software organ, though.

Your Kore player forum moderator,
    ew
    post edited by ew - 2008/04/19 12:25:19
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/04/19 17:15:58 (permalink)
    Being an olde NI user like ew , I've had it since it first came out. Like most things NI, the sounds are great and generous too. The main limitation is the fact that you can't save presets or anything for that matter. That little doohickie that you can drag around to modulate all the parameters is a great invention. If NI ever releases it as a software-only full retail product, I'll buy it. I have no use for another controller just yet- except for maybe the Novation Nocturn. In fact I think NI should have continued the product line with a version of Kore that had an integrated audio interface also. Like they did with the first version. What they failed to appreciate is that there (still) is a market for combi hardware controllers especially with mobile musicians that don't want to cart around a bunch of gear.

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/22 16:50:04 (permalink)
    If you run it from inside Chainer, you can save the state of the plugin as a Chainer preset.

Of course you can save the state within a Sonar project too, but that's not portable--the Chainer preset is.

Regards, lightninrick
    HumbleNoise
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/22 20:38:38 (permalink)
    I downloaded Kore 2 and I can't get it to do ANYTHING. RTM and it shows how to choose a sound but when I choose a piano, guitar whatever NOTHING shows in the browser window and absolutely nothing happens. Checked and double checked audio and MIDI stteing re-loaded the program twice, activated the software. and NOTHING. It's like it can't find the library but I used the default settings an can find the library samples so I'm stumped.

Is there a special trick to get it to make sounds?

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 00:09:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: HumbleNoise

I downloaded Kore 2 and I can't get it to do ANYTHING. RTM and it shows how to choose a sound but when I choose a piano, guitar whatever NOTHING shows in the browser window and absolutely nothing happens. Checked and double checked audio and MIDI stteing re-loaded the program twice, activated the software. and NOTHING. It's like it can't find the library but I used the default settings an can find the library samples so I'm stumped.

Is there a special trick to get it to make sounds?

Kore2? Well, it's a collection of the NI players (Absynth, Massive, etc.), and a sample library with hundreds of instruments.

But, there's 5Gb of samples that have to be installed before it will play. Did you load the second disk?

--kwgm
    HumbleNoise
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 00:17:01 (permalink)
    SORRY. I downloaded the free Kore player! I was browsing the Kore home Page and all I saw was Kore 2.

Still can't get it to work. Just uninstalled an reinstalled AGAIN. It simply will not locate a sound and no way to check paths that I can see. So it just sits there. Amazingly frustrating. Something about NI that bugs me. From their web site to the tiny fonts they insist upon using. Always had a headache with Kontact and have spent an hour trying to get this to work. Again it seems like the library of samples is hidden from the selection and browse windows even though they were put in the default location.

It looks like a really good product but I can't get it working. Manual is no help as it assumes you can at least choose a sound then goes on from there.

If there's anything I'm miising much appreciate the help.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    kwgm
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 00:26:34 (permalink)
    Larry,

Don't know a thing about the Kore player. If it is like the real app, then it should have a Menu somewhere on top, and in that menu, an Options choice.

In Kore 2, you set the locations of the libraries in this Options dialog. I use the "Find Manually" as it takes so damn long to search 500Gb drives! I point to the folder, and click OK -- Kore asks if it should add to the database -- voila!

Hope it works for you.

Kore 2 Komplete is only a grand ($1000) -- why not pick one up on your way in to work tomorrow at the 7-11?

--kwgm
    HumbleNoise
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 00:59:08 (permalink)
    Thanks kwgm but no such options with the free player. Nothing else to try that I can think of. Maybe tomorrow.

How do you like Kore 2. Looks really nice with a LOT of great sounds.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    kwgm
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 01:43:29 (permalink)

Thanks kwgm but no such options with the free player. Nothing else to try that I can think of. Maybe tomorrow.

How do you like Kore 2. Looks really nice with a LOT of great sounds.

Yes, I do. I like all of the NI synths -- they add a new dimension to my music synthesis.

They're not bread and butter voices, of course. If you want realistic pianos and guitars, brassy horns, groovin Hammonds, rounded woodwinds, dynamic Wurlies, and the like, you're better off buying hardware (Kurz or Yammy), or something like Kompakt or Gigasampler with a few large, expensive sample packages like EastWest, Miroslav, Scarbee to taste. But, if you share my affection for those sounds which have been labeled anything from "ambient" to "spacey", then the NI soundset will add a large section to your sound palette. I still get goosebumps when I hear a good Wavestation or DX7 Pad. The Kore 2 set is rooted in those synths, as are the full versions of Absynth, FM8, Massive. and Pro53. If you have the excess cash to spend, and like to design sounds, you'll want the Komplete package, but Kore 2 provides the basics of all those synths, without all the programmability and complexity.

--kwgm
    ew
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 03:34:40 (permalink)
    Larry- do you mean none of the sounds are showing up in the browser? Is this in standalone?
    ORIGINAL: kwgm

The Kore 2 set is rooted in those synths, as are the full versions of Absynth, FM8, Massive. and Pro53.

Incorrect. The sound engines are included, but they aren't the full versions- you can't edit them.
    If you have the excess cash to spend, and like to design sounds, you'll want the Komplete package, but Kore 2 provides the basics of all those synths, without all the programmability and complexity.

Now that's more correct.

ew
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 09:14:56 (permalink)
    I had problems getting sounds to load as well.

until I Read the Manual!!!

use the windows in the bottom left for search. clicking on each one will tell you if it's available or not. a checkmark will show up beside the ones available.
    after you get an output in the right window, that means you have sucessfully found that sound. double click on it and it will load that sound into the engine.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    HumbleNoise
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 11:32:14 (permalink)
    Definitely tried that and definitely read the manual. I'll try each one and see if any show with a check mark as I saw they are supposed when I read the manual. I just never got anything to show in the right window. I thought I checked each one with the same suspicion that all those sounds weren't in the free player but I'll try again when I get back to my DAW.

As a little more help would you mind telling me which sound specifically you did find so I can check it?

Thanks.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Beagle
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 13:41:39 (permalink)
    sure, Larry, I'll show you what I found.

what I've done here is click on the PIANO/KEYS on the left - it gets highlighted in yellow. on the right, all of the piano/keys available show up on the outputs. if I click on one of the outputs (which I have) it will highlight it in yellow and will show you all of the OTHER search patterns which would have lead to this particular output by putting a checkmark beside it. to load that sound, just double click on the output line that's highlighted.

you can also show EVERYTHING you have available by pressing the little icon just above the left window that looks like a minature keyboard, just to the left of the icon that has "FX" on it. that will clear all search parameters and show global outputs.

HTH.

HumbleNoise
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 18:13:16 (permalink)
    Really appreciate the effort it took to post that Beagle. I do NOT get a check mark on anything I click, and nothing ever shows in the right hand window to double click and hear the sound.

I do get a yellow highlight but no check marks - on anything. It really is behaving like it can't find the sample files but I can only install where they suggest (3 installs at least) as a default and can't point to any other location. Behaves the same way as a standalone player and as a Sonar plug in. Might just move on as I've spent quite a bit of time and there seems to be no other place to look for a fix.
    post edited by HumbleNoise - 2008/05/23 18:33:31

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Beagle
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 18:33:12 (permalink)
    sorry to hear that. I did put the samples in a different location from default. in fact, I keep all my samples on a separate drive, so that shouldn't be the problem.

not sure what it could be, tho.

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 19:11:33 (permalink)
    I couldn't even get the thing to download after submitting my email address. It's a good advert for them in the sense of even if you don't buy NI stuff you can buy the add on packs and use them.. it's a bit like Yellow tools Independence, I guess. and the other one I just got the other day. it's a piano thing someone posted on here.

Although, I am hopefully buying Komplete + kore next week, as the offer I had ends at the end of May and it will save me a lot , even though I primarily want it for 5 out of the 11 items (the 5 work out more expensive)

the first Kore controller acted like a dongle.. the new one doesn't. users hated that so NI stopped doing that. So you don't need the controller installed BUT if you do, it makes your work flow faster.

as for having defaults / engines in Kore thats ok to a point, but you can't really tweak the sounds. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is a shed load more reading and a serious amount of downloading extra sound patches / updates.
    post edited by Fog - 2008/05/23 19:42:30
    HumbleNoise
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/23 21:36:10 (permalink)
    Tried one last time and installed into a diferent directory thinking it might find the samples but the same thing happened. So I'm done and I'm sure everyone's had a simlar experience with certain software but my experiences with NI are always very similar. Pain. Kontact. Pain. Those stupid little fonts. Pain. Kore. Pain. I know there's some great sounds to be had but I'll probably never consider an NI product for purchase - had to use Kontact with GPO. Oh well, on to bigger and better things.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/24 01:27:52 (permalink)
    For what it's worth Larry.. I down loaded it and got it working....there are few nice synth sounds that can modified a bit with basic filter, amplitude and a few effects. there are a couple of nifty appegiator things to tweak with a on some of the patches. The sound engine does sound good and it will be a nice platform for some serious expansion patches. I think it's a cool concept to get the player free and be able to get a decent taste of NI's various synths with out forking over 200 to 300 a pop for a full synth. I've read a few review about the avialable expansion blocks and they've had some mixed reviews but there is enough variety in the synth engine itself to make some new sounds with the patches. I haven't spent any money on expansions yet. I was interested in it mostly to try out their Sax and Horns... but that was one of them that had some basic things missing in the samples, so I'm still waiting to buy something for it.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    ew
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/25 14:24:12 (permalink)
    It really is behaving like it can't find the sample files but I can only install where they suggest (3 installs at least) as a default and can't point to any other location.

That definitely shouldn't be the case- it should ask you the location where you want the samples. I'm thinking a registry key got left behind.

If you're comfortable with using a registry editor, fire up your registry editor of choice.

Warning! Always create a system restore point and/or backup your registry before using a registry editor!

The key on my machine is
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Kore2

There's a content dir subkey there. However, since you only have the player, it's probably a subkey of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Kore Player

Change the path and reboot. Done.

Or (and this is probably the safest thing), delete the whole Kore player key. While you're at it, turn on "show hidden files and folders" in Windows' view menu and go to (on XP):

Documents and Settings/*your user account*/Local Settings/Application Data/Native Instruments and delete the Kore player subfolder there. Now reinstall- you should be asked for a sample path.

ew

post edited by ew - 2008/05/25 14:51:42
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/25 21:49:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rbh

I think it's a cool concept to get the player free and be able to get a decent taste of NI's various synths with out forking over 200 to 300 a pop for a full synth.

The way I looked at it due to komplete being on offer at the moment I'm gonna save money. yep it's a big initial outlay but buying them that way (and the kore 2 controller) will get me hhm 12 of their products, than buying the 5 things I would be interested.. and that weighs in $400 more expensive WITHOUT any controller.
    HumbleNoise
    RE: Kore Player free at NI website 2008/05/26 00:56:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ew

It really is behaving like it can't find the sample files but I can only install where they suggest (3 installs at least) as a default and can't point to any other location.

That definitely shouldn't be the case- it should ask you the location where you want the samples. I'm thinking a registry key got left behind.

If you're comfortable with using a registry editor, fire up your registry editor of choice.

Warning! Always create a system restore point and/or backup your registry before using a registry editor!

The key on my machine is
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Kore2

There's a content dir subkey there. However, since you only have the player, it's probably a subkey of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Kore Player

Change the path and reboot. Done.

Or (and this is probably the safest thing), delete the whole Kore player key. While you're at it, turn on "show hidden files and folders" in Windows' view menu and go to (on XP):

Documents and Settings/*your user account*/Local Settings/Application Data/Native Instruments and delete the Kore player subfolder there. Now reinstall- you should be asked for a sample path.

ew

ew, Thanks for the post but I re-nstalled 4 or 5 times into different directories after the default location failed 2 or 3 times, don't really want to mess with the registry and I'm done with Kore and done with NI.

Wasted far too much time on what should have been a painless test of a company's software. If I have to do more than simply install into suggested directories, or even new directories to get the software working then I'd rather spend my time with other projects. It seems everyone has a bad experieince with at least one software vendor and for me it's NI. Just DO NOT like their stuff.

But again, a sincere thanks for trying to help.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
    MAudio 2496
    Yamaha MG 12/4
    Roland XV-88
    NVidia 9800 GTX
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1