Korg D3200 and SPDF into Computer?????

Author
pletchsr
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 101
2007/03/11 22:28:33 (permalink)

Korg D3200 and SPDF into Computer?????

Hi all,

If I'm recording using a stand-alone machine like the Korg D3200, let's say I'm using 4 mic inputs, can I send an output from the Korg using SPDF into the computer and see all 4 tracks at once? In other words convert my Korg D3200 to an audio interface for my DAW. That way it gets recorded to the computer and the stand-alone at the same time. (Standalone machine is used for backup)

Thanks for any ideas,
Shannon

3 Replies Related Threads

calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: Korg D3200 and SPDF into Computer????? 2007/03/11 22:47:55 (permalink)
    s/pdif is a one way stereo connection. it can go up to 24 bits but the last 4 bits are debateable, they werent in the original spec so you may experience difficulties there. As far as all 4 tracks "at once" sp/dif cant do this. It might work if the korg could send it out as dolby PL and the computer could see that. Hightly doubtful. The other narrow possibility is if its optical can the computer and the Korg both agree to call it ADAT 8 channel optical? Again, dubious.

BTW thes ekind of questions are best handled in the "Gear" forum. This is more a software forum.

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    pletchsr
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Korg D3200 and SPDF into Computer????? 2007/03/12 09:18:16 (permalink)
    Thanks so much. The only digital output on the Korg is SP/DIF but it looks like an optical connection, which is why I thought that it might be possible to do a four-track transfer. The only digital input for my soundblaster is a 9 pin DIN which I am not really familiar with. But I could always upgrade a card if needed.
    Thanks again, adn I will check out that gear forum.
    Shannon
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Korg D3200 and SPDF into Computer????? 2007/03/12 09:36:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pletchsr

Thanks so much. The only digital output on the Korg is SP/DIF but it looks like an optical connection, which is why I thought that it might be possible to do a four-track transfer. The only digital input for my soundblaster is a 9 pin DIN which I am not really familiar with. But I could always upgrade a card if needed.
    Thanks again, adn I will check out that gear forum.
    Shannon

The 9pin may just be for a breakout cable of some type, in the old days it was for midi or joystick but no audio. There are no 4 channel digital audio interfaces that I know of, it it's optical it should be TOSLINK (stereo) and / or ADAT (8 channel). The reason I say and / or is that on some devices you can set it for either one. Check the manual and see what it does.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1