Korg nanoKontrol / Buttons LED's Staying ON - HOW???

Author
Nathan Shane
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 224
2009/03/20 01:42:04 (permalink)

Korg nanoKontrol / Buttons LED's Staying ON - HOW???

Okay, I bought a Korg nanoKontrol this evening then searched the forum and found out how to set it up to use under SONAR 8 - and it works. But the LED's for the buttons do not stay on, such as when I Mute or Record Enable a track. It would be great to have the nano buttons remain lit to match what I see in SONAR. Does anyone have any idea how I can get the LED's to stay on? In the nanoKontrol setup software, I set the buttons for Toggle and not Momentary but that didn't make any difference...so I'm lost and any help would be appreciated. Also, this would include the Play and Record buttons as well, it would be great for those LED's to remain lit as well when engaged.
post edited by Nathan Shane - 2009/03/20 01:52:34

7 Replies Related Threads

Gamma Goblin
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Korg nanoKontrol / Buttons LED's Staying ON - HOW??? 2009/03/20 02:14:09 (permalink)
    In the Korg Nano software load the mapping screen for the NanoKontrol then click on the cc# area by one of the buttons to activate the options (lower part of screen) for that particular button, then under "button behavior" change this option from "momentary" to "toggle" then go up to the "communication" option at the top of the screen and WRITE and SAVE the scene set/data. Shazzzammmm!!!! Your buttons will now stay illuminated red when you push them. Don't forget to go into Sonars "controller surfaces properties" box (button is just right of the black box at the top center of your track view main screen) and select the parameter (example: mute would be parameter 2) then change the option in the "MIDI Message Interpretation" from "Literally/Toggle" to "On/Off" so that your Nano buttons behave properly in Sonar. Don't forget to SAVE your changes when you make them. Hope this helps and I didn't confuse you too much!!! : )
    post edited by Gamma Goblin - 2009/03/20 02:47:15

"I'm going to lead you, kicking and screaming, giggling and laughing, into the future. I'm going to relax you, I'm going to get you!"
    http://www.twisteddownloads.com/
    Nathan Shane
    RE: Korg nanoKontrol / Buttons LED's Staying ON - HOW??? 2009/03/20 11:02:24 (permalink)
    Thanks Gamma, you really know your stuff when it comes to setting up the nano for SONAR control...in fact it was your previous setup post that I found online and got as far as I did. And your suggestions have worked for the Mute/Record toggle LED's but now I'm seeing that the Transport Record and Play LED's don't seem to work as hoped - For example:

1) I engage Track 1 REC, then press the nano REC button (LED is lit)
    2) press nano STOP button, recording stops but nano REC button is still lit
    3) press nano REC button again, LED turns off but recording does not engage

This same scenario occurs for the nano PLAY LED as well...I assume this is because there is not bi-directional communication taking place between SONAR and the nano - where pressing the nanoSTOP would turn off the nanoREC LED. Anyway, this nano Kontrol is brilliant even if there may be some short comings to how the LED's may behave. I've got a Frontier Designs Tranzport that I had been using in the years past but I think this nanoKontrol is much more fun and useful and a lot less money too. Do you know if more than one nanoKontrol could be used within SONAR?

I've been so impressed with this nano that I'm thinking I may go pickup the other two nano controllers as well...do you own or use the NanoKEY or nanoPAD within SONAR? I have the M-Audio Keystation 88es and the nanoKontrol fits perfectly atop the 88es above the keys, the width of the nanoKontrol and the area above the 88es keys are almost the same width - like they were made for each other. LOL!!!
    post edited by Nathan Shane - 2009/03/20 11:07:09
    Nathan Shane
    RE: Korg nanoKontrol / Buttons LED's Staying ON - HOW??? 2009/03/20 11:21:43 (permalink)
    Also...can you think of any skillful way to assign the nanoKontrol ROTARY-9 to SONAR's Transport for moving back/forth across the measures? I currently have the nanoKontrol FORWARD button assigned to Go|NextMeasure but it would be cool to use that #9 Rotary to scroll across several measures as well.
    post edited by Nathan Shane - 2009/03/20 11:23:26
    Gamma Goblin
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Korg nanoKontrol / Buttons LED's Staying ON - HOW??? 2009/03/20 13:32:57 (permalink)
    It looks like the transport buttons need to stay set on "momentary" and they don't seem to behave like a mute button would in toggle mode. Sorry....I tried a few things but didn't have any luck.

If you want another Nano get the NanoPad. The NanoKey is ok for basic note entry but for any kind of articulate playing it really is just to cheaply made for this IMHO and the keys have no feel to them. I have a big problem with how my thumb hits a key with the raised small white plastic outside border on the NanoKey kinda getting in the way more times than not. But the NanoPad on the other hand is just as great as the NanoKontrol and has to be one of the best deals and most practical tools you can get for your studio. Go get one!!!

And yes you can have more than one NanoKontrol setup in Sonar. The only limitation I've seen is that the "Cakewalk generic surface" only allows for a maximum of 32 track strips and if you had four NanoKontrols setup side by side like a 36 channel digital mixer then you wouldn't have access to the last four channels. Maybe the workaround would be to assign each Nano its own "generic surface" so that each Nano would have a total of 32 strips available. But remember with just one NanoKontrol you have four scenes thus giving you 9x4 channels to work with if you don't mind pushing the scene button for each of the four sets of 9 channels/strips.

And for the question about using a rotary knob to scroll... Do you mean like the scrub tool or too just move forward/backward one measure at a time? I looked for a way to assign the scrub tool option but couldn't find one in the "generic surfaces" options or "ACT" options. But if you just want to scroll forward and back one measure at a time then go into the "Cakewalk generic surfaces" options and select (in your case) strip #9 then on the lower right hand side of the box you'll see options for forward, backward, jog and move. Select one of these and then hold the "LEARN" button at the top right side of the box while you move knob #9 at the same time in the direction you want to go. Then do this for the other direction for knob #9 and don't forget to SAVE your changes. The only issue I found with doing this is that forward works very well at scrolling but reverse seems to only go back one measure at a time for each half turn of the knob. I wish I could get the "scrub" function to work this way, that would be pretty cool.

The one thing I did run across due to your question is possibly using a rotary knob assigned to the option "lower/raise Groove clip pitch". I'm gonna try that out right away.

Let me know if you have any problems and how thing work out on your end. Cheers!!!! : )
    post edited by Gamma Goblin - 2009/03/20 13:34:18

"I'm going to lead you, kicking and screaming, giggling and laughing, into the future. I'm going to relax you, I'm going to get you!"
    http://www.twisteddownloads.com/
    Nathan Shane
    RE: Korg nanoKontrol / Buttons LED's Staying ON - HOW??? 2009/03/20 14:38:34 (permalink)
    I went ahead and setup the #9 rotary to Jog > but it was less than ideal since it obviously only works going one way and can't jog back and forth like an actual shuttle. So I put it back to doing nothing for the time being. Since the Tranzport has a jog shuttle wheel, you'd think there might be some way to successfully assign a rotary knob to simulate going back and forth...like using values 0-64 for < Jog and 65-127 for Jog > (or some -/+ values applied to the rotary when it was centered then moved CW or CCW) Obviously, the Tranzport has a continuous rotation knob and it's own drivers which can communicate a shuttle jog, so I may have to keep the Tranzport connected as well - but thanks for your help and insight with this. It helps me better comprehend how ACT and Control Surfaces can be setup and used in creative ways. Currently I'm trying to determine some creative ways to use Scene 4 on the nanoKontrol. I'm wondering if I could possibly use Scene 4 to control Omnisphere (I purchased the upgrade from Spectrasonics which arrives on Monday).

I noticed in the 2009 NAMM videos that Eric was controlling Omnisphere with both a nanoKontrol and nanoKey (the KEY was used for live switching to different patches assigned to the keyboard) - but rather than using the nanoKontrol for only Track control in SONAR, I was thinking about using it for Track and SynthRack control (at least control of Omnisphere which apparently has MIDI Learn built into its GUI). But it might be more practical to use 2 nanoKontrol's rather than one for multiple things - but you've definitely opened my eyes to some creative control possibilities.
    post edited by Nathan Shane - 2009/03/20 14:44:53
    KidBomba
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re: RE: Korg nanoKontrol / Buttons LED's Staying ON - HOW??? 2009/08/29 20:16:21 (permalink)
    I dont think the kontrol software works that well with Windows7, I always get a timeout when trying to receive or send scenes. The thing works fine except for the buttons not staying lit. Its using Korg drivers too, not microsoft drivers.
    Silence Dogood
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re: RE: Korg nanoKontrol / Buttons LED's Staying ON - HOW??? 2009/12/13 08:18:20 (permalink)
    KidBomba

I dont think the kontrol software works that well with Windows7, I always get a timeout when trying to receive or send scenes. The thing works fine except for the buttons not staying lit. Its using Korg drivers too, not microsoft drivers.

Any new news on nanoKONTROL + SONAR 8 + Win7 ??  I'm thinking about buying the nano for transport and a fader or two.  The price and the small size seems right for me.

tia, -sd

If at first you don't succeed, keep sucking 'till you do succeed! ("Curly" Howard)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1